Psychic and Healer.
Light

Author Topic: Inspirational Quotes  (Read 15855 times)

Offline Definitive Journey

• Tributary
    • Las Vegas Massage Therapist Kris Kelley
Inspirational Quotes
« on: March 14, 2008, 06:57:29 PM »

O'siyo Oginalii
Tsilugi

Hello Friends
Welcome!

(Cherokee)

"Discipline is, indeed, the supreme joy of feeling reverent awe; of watching, with your mouth open, whatever is behind those secret doors."

• Tributary
Re: Inspirational Quotes
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 07:01:51 PM »

Wakan Tankan Nici Un

"May the Great Spirit walk with you"

Yigaquu osaniyu adanvto adadoligi nigohilvi nasquv utloyasdi nihi

"May the Great Spirit's Blessings Always Be With You"

Ho! Mitakuye Oyasin

"We Are All Related"

Ea Nigada Qusdi Idadadvhn

"All My Relations In Creation"

(Cherokee)

"Discipline is, indeed, the supreme joy of feeling reverent awe; of watching, with your mouth open, whatever is behind those secret doors."

• Tributary
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 07:05:27 PM »
"We who are clay blended by the Master Potter, come from the kiln of Creation in many hues. How can people say one skin is colored, when each has its own coloration? What should it matter that one bowl is dark and the other pale, if each is of good design and serves its purpose well."

~Polingaysi Qoyawayma, Hopi ~

• Tributary
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 07:08:38 PM »

Words of Wisdom 

The American Indian is of the soil, whether it be the region of forests, plains, pueblos, or mesas. He fits into the landscape, for the hand that fashioned the continent also fashioned the man for his surroundings. He once grew as naturally as the wild sunflowers, he belongs just as the buffalo belonged.... 

Out of the Indian approach to life there came a great freedom, an intense and absorbing respect for life, enriching faith in a Supreme Power, and principles of truth, honesty, generosity, equity, and brotherhood as a guide to mundane relations. 

You have noticed that everything an Indian does is in a circle, and that is because the Power of the World always works in circles, and everything tries to be round..... The Sky is round, and I have heard that the earth is round like a ball, and so are all the stars. The wind, in its greatest power, whirls. Birds make their nest in circles, for theirs is the same religion as ours.... 

Even the seasons form a great circle in their changing, and always come back again to where they were. The life of a man is a circle from childhood to childhood, and so it is in everything where power moves.

-Black Elk (Oglala) 1863-1950

Endless Whisper

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 08:15:44 PM »
The Sunset

Then I was standing on the highest mountain of them all, and round about beneath me was the whole hoop of the world. And while I stood there I saw more than I can tell and I understood more than I saw; for I was seeing in a sacred manner the shapes of all things in the spirit, and the shape of all shapes as they must live together like one being.

And I say the sacred hoop of my people was one of the many hoops that made one circle, wide as daylight and as starlight, and in the center grew one mighty flowering tree to shelter all the children of one mother and one father. And I saw that it was holy...

But anywhere is the center of the world.

~Black Elk

Endless Whisper

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 08:21:26 PM »
I Will Walk

I will walk into somebody's dwelling,
Into somebody's dwelling will I walk.

To thy dwelling, my dearly beloved,
Some night will I walk, will I walk.

Some night in the winter, my beloved,
To thy dwelling will I walk, will I walk.

This very night, my beloved,
To thy dwelling will I walk, will I walk.

~Chippewa

• Tributary
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 08:42:12 PM »

Chief Seattle's
Speech to All People   

This is an English version by Ted Perry of the speech Chief Seattle gave in his native tongue.  In 1854 this speech was given upon requests from the U.S government to take the land that Chief Seattle's people- the Suquamish and Duwamish tribes lived upon. It is not a direct translation, but inspired by and true to the spirit of the speech he gave.

"The President in Washington sends word that he wishes to buy our land. But how can you buy or sell the sky? The land? The idea is strange to us. If we do not own the freshness of the air and the sparkle of the water how can you buy them?

"Every part of this earth is sacred to my people. Every shining pine needle, every sandy shore, every mist in the dark woods, every meadow, every humming insect. All are holy in the memory and experience of my people.

"We know the sap which courses through the trees as we know the blood that courses through our veins. We are part of the earth and it is part of us. The perfumed flowers are our sisters. The bear, the deer, the great eagle, these are our brothers. The rocky crests, the juices in the meadow, the body heat of the pony, and man, all belong to the same family.

"The shining water that moves in the streams and rivers is not just water, but the blood of our ancestors. If we sell our land, you must remember that it is sacred. Each ghostly reflection in the clear waters of the lakes tells of events and memories in the life of my people. The water's murmur is the voice of my father's father.

"The rivers are our brothers. They quench our thirst. They carry our canoes and feed our children. So you must give to the rivers the kindness you would give any brother.

"If we sell you our land, remember that the air is precious to us, that the air shares its spirit with all the life it supports. The wind that gave our grandfather his first breath also receives his last sigh. The wind also gives our children the spirit of life. So if we sell you our land, you must keep it apart and sacred, as a place where man can go to taste the wind that is sweetened by the meadow flowers.

"Will you teach your children what we have taught our children? That the earth is our mother? What befalls the earth befalls all the sons of the earth.

"This we know the earth does not belong to man, man belongs to the earth. All things are connected like the blood that unites us all. Man did not weave the web of life, he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself.

"One thing we know our God is also your God. The earth is precious to him and to harm the earth is to heap contempt on its creator.

"Your destiny is a mystery to us. What will happen when the buffalo are all slaughtered? The wild horses tamed? What will happen when the secret corners of the forest are heavy with the scent of many men and the view of the ripe hills is blotted by talking wires? Where will the thicket be? Gone! Where will the eagle be? Gone! And what is it to say goodbye to the swift pony and the hunt? The end of living and the beginning of survival.

"When the last Red Man has vanished with his wilderness, and his memory is only the shadow of a cloud moving across the prairie, will these shores and forests still be here? Will there be any of the spirits of my people left?

"We love this earth as a newborn loves its mother's heartbeat. So, if we sell you our land, love it as we have loved it. Care for it as we have cared for it. Hold in your mind the memory of the land as it is when you receive it. Preserve the land for all children and love it, as God loves us all.

"As we are part of the land, you too are part of the land. This earth is precious to us. It is also precious to you. One thing we know there is only one God. No man, be he Red Man or White Man, can be apart. We are brothers after all."

Here's a link to a more accurate version:  http://www.suquamish.nsn.us/chief.htm

« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 03:40:38 PM by Zamurito »

littlefeather

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 09:09:04 PM »
I love all of these, Zamurito.

Offline Sky

• Sprout
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 09:27:11 PM »
Wakan Tankan Nici Un

"May the Great Spirit walk with you"

littlefeather

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 09:32:24 PM »
I like this one, too. In fact, I just  PMed it to somebody.
 ;D
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 08:33:38 PM by littlefeather »

Offline mayflow

• Storm
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2008, 09:36:41 PM »
Flying free,
I see!
There are no things
 that can bind me

~ Mayflow

• Tributary
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2008, 03:35:24 PM »

Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit.  If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?

~Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca~

...... everything on the earth has a purpose, every disease an herb to cure it, and every person a mission. This is the Indian theory of existence.

-Mourning Dove (Salish) 1888-1936

... I have seen that in any great undertaking it is not enough for a man to depend simply upon himself.

Lone Man (Isna-la-wica)(Teton Sioux)

• Tributary
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2008, 12:45:19 PM »

Give Us Hearts to Understand

Give us hearts to understand; 

Never to take from creation's beauty more than we give;

never to destroy wantonly for the furtherance of greed;

Never to deny to give our hands for the building of earth's beauty;

never to take from her what we cannot use.

Give us hearts to understand

That to destroy earth's music is to create confusion;

that to wreck her appearance is to blind us to beauty;

That to callously pollute her fragrance is to make a house of stench;

that as we care for her she will care for us.

We have forgotten who we are.

We have sought only our own security.

We have exploited simply for our own ends.

We have distorted our knowledge.

We have abused our power.

Great Spirit, whose dry lands thirst,

Help us to find the way to refresh your lands.

Great Spirit, whose waters are choked with debris and pollution,

help us to find the way to cleanse your waters.

Great Spirit, whose beautiful earth grows ugly with misuse,

help us to find the way to restore beauty to your handiwork.

Great Spirit, whose creatures are being destroyed,

help us to find a way to replenish them.

Great Spirit, whose gifts to us are being lost in selfishness and corruption,

help us to find the way to restore our humanity.

Oh, Great Spirit, whose voice I hear in the wind,

whose breath gives life to the world, hear me;

I need your strength and wisdom.

May I walk in Beauty.

• Tributary
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2008, 12:48:42 PM »

"Hold on to what is good even if it is a handful of earth.

Hold on to what you believe even if it is a tree which stands by itself.

Hold on to what you must do even if it is a long way from here.

Hold on to life even when it is easier letting go.

Hold on to my hand even when I have gone away from you."

~Pueblo Blessing ~

• Tributary
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2008, 12:53:03 PM »

Earth Teach Me to Remember
by John Yellow Lark

Earth teach me stillness

as the grasses are stilled with light.

Earth teach me suffering

as old stones suffer with memory.

Earth teach me humility

as blossoms are humble with beginning.

Earth Teach me caring

as the mother who secures her young.

Earth teach me courage

as the tree which stands alone.

Earth teach me limitation

as the ant which crawls on the ground.

Earth teach me freedom

as the eagle which soars in the sky.

Earth teach me resignation

as the leaves which die in the fall.

Earth teach me regeneration

as the seed which rises in the spring.

Earth teach me to forget myself

as melted snow forgets its life.

Earth teach me to remember kindness

as dry fields weep in the rain.

Ute, North American