Author Topic: The Five Skandhas  (Read 55 times)

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
  • Love You ALL To The Moon and Back...
    • SIR
The Five Skandhas
« on: July 30, 2009, 04:10:06 AM »
THE FIVE SKANDHAS

by Chogyam Trungpa

To understand more precisely the process of confirming the solidity of I and other, that is, the development of ego, it is helpful to be familiar with the five skandhas, a set of Buddhist concepts which describe ego a five-step process.

The first step or skandha, the birth of ego, is called "form" or basic ignorance. We ignore the open, fluid, and intelligent quality of space. When a gap or space occurs in our experience of mind, when there is a sudden glimpse of awareness openness, absence of self, then a suspicion arise: "Suppose I find that there is no solid me? That possibility scares me. I don't want to go into that. That abstract paranoia, the discomfort that something may be wrong, is the source of karmic chain reactions. It is the fear of ultimate confusion and despair. The fear of the absence of the self, of the egoless state, is a constant threat to us. "Suppose it is true, what then? I am afraid to look." We want to maintain some solidity but the only material available with which to work is space, the absence of ego, so we try to solidify or freeze that experience of space. Ignorance in this case is not stupidity, but it is a kind of stubbornness. Suddenly we are bewildered by the discovery of selflessness and do not want to accept it; we want to hold on to something.

Then the next step is the attempt to find a way of occupying ourselves, diverting our attention from our aloneness. The karmic chain reaction begins. Karma is dependent upon the relativity of this and that--my existence and my projections--and karma is continually reborn as we continually try to busy ourselves. In other words, there is a fear of not being confirmed by our projections. One must constantly try to prove that one does exist by feeling one's projections as a solid thing. Feeling the solidity of something seemingly outside you reassures you that you are a solid entity as well. This is the second skandha, "feeling."

In the third stage, ego develops three strategies or impulses with which to relate to its projections: indifference, passion and aggression. These impulses are guided by perception. Perception, in this case, is the self-conscious feeling that you must officially report back to central headquarters what is happening in any given moment. Then you can manipulate each situation by organizing another strategy.

In the strategy of indifference, we numb any sensitive areas that we want to avoid, that we think might hurt us. We put on a suit of armor. The second strategy is passion--trying to grasp things and eat them up. It is a magnetizing process. Usually we do not grasp if we feel rich enough. But whenever there is a feeling of poverty, hunger, impotence, then we reach out, we extend our tentacles and attempt to hold onto something. Aggression, the third strategy, is also based on the experience of poverty, the feeling that you cannot survive and therefore must ward off anything that threatens your property or food. Moreover, the more aware you are of the possibilities of being threatened, the more desperate your reaction becomes. You try to run faster and faster in order to find a way of feeding or defending yourself. This speeding about is a form of aggression. Aggression, passion, indifference are part of the third skandha, "perception/impulse."

Ignorance, feeling, impulse and perception--all are instinctive processes. We operate a radar system which senses our territory. Yet we cannot establish ego properly without intellect, without the ability to conceptualize and name. Since we have so many things happening, we begin to categorize them, putting them into certain pigeon-holes, naming them. We make it official, so to speak. So "intellect" or "concept" is the next stage of ego, the fourth skandha, but even this is not quite enough. We need a very active and efficient mechanism to keep the instinctive and intellectual processes of ego coordinated. That is the last development of ego, the fifth skandha, "consciousness."

Consciousness consists of emotions and irregular thought patterns, all of which taken together form the different fantasy worlds with which we occupy ourselves. These fantasy worlds are referred to in the scriptures as the "six realms". The emotions are the highlights of ego, the generals of ego's army; subconscious thought, day-dreams and other thoughts connect one highlight to another. So thoughts form ego's army and are constantly in motion, constantly busy. Our thoughts are neurotic in the sense that they irregular, changing direction all the time and overlapping one another. We continually jump from one thought to the next, from spiritual thoughts to sexual fantasies to money matters to domestic thoughts and so on. The whole development of the five skandhas--ignorance/form, feeling, impulse/perception, concept and consciousness--is an attempt on our part to shield ourselves from the truth of our insubstantiality.

The practice of meditation is to see the transparency of this shield. But we cannot immediately start dealing with the basic ignorance itself; that would be like trying to push a wall down all at once. If we want to take this wall down, we must take it down brick by brick; we start with immediately available material, a stepping stone. So the practice of meditation starts with the emotions and thoughts, particularly with the thought process.
"A warrior doesn't seek anything for his solace, nor can he possibly leave anything to chance. A warrior actually affects the outcome of events by the force of his awareness and his unbending intent." - don Juan

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
    • SIR
Re: The Five Skandhas
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 04:11:17 AM »
http://www.dzogchen.org/teachings/talks/dtalk-95may22.html

The talk below was given on 22 May 1995 at the regular Monday night Dzogchen sitting group in Cambridge, MA.
Dharma Talk: The Five Skandhas

When we look inside -- when we wonder who and what we are and what's going on, when we ask who or what am I, who is experiencing our experience -- what do we find, if anything? Who am I? What am I? Where is the experiencer? Is it in my head? My brain? My heart? My legs? What do we find? Do we really exist as we think we do? Am I different than you? Are we who we think we are? That's the main subject of self-inquiry in Dharma -- to know one's self; to know one's true nature; to realize who and what we all are; to recognize the Buddha-nature, the transpersonal, innate nature, not just our superficial, momentary, conditioned personality, which is just the tip of the iceberg.

The original teacher of Buddhism in this world (Lord Buddha, the Awakened One, 563-483 B.C., India) gave his idea about who and what we are. We can use that as a framework, rather than just wandering around with "Oh, I don't know who I am" or "Who could know?" or "Who knows," always passing the buck. In truth the buck stops here, in your own lap. That's the bad news. But that's also the good news -- that mastery is in one's hands. We can know ourselves, as Socrates (among others) exhorted us. And this self-knowledge will make us free.

We have, or we are, a form. But what else are we? Are we just a body? Are we just flesh and blood, from dust to dust, as it says? The Buddha said we are the five skandhas. The word skandha is a tough word to translate. It means heap, aggregate, or component of individuality. We are five of these. Just check it out and let's see what it means, and what else there might be, if anything at all.

First, form: Solidity, earth element, shape.

Second, feelings: Sensations. Not just emotional feelings, but also physical sensations and so on. Whatever we feel.

The third skandha is perceptions: Experiences, like thoughts, sights, sounds, and so on. In the second and third skandhas, in feelings and perceptions, liking and not liking arise. That's when the whole problem, the whole duality, the whole push and shove starts. The entire, exhausting treadmill or roller coaster of ups and downs.

The fourth is will or volition: Intending to do things. That's where karma comes in. Liking and not liking arise, then from that devolves reactions. Reactions rather than freedom and proactivity.

Our form feels things, perceives things this way or that way, liking or not liking. Then actions or intentions push or pull, trying to get more, get less, ignore it, or get away from it. Avoidance, denial, greed, demandingness, attachment, and so on, equals dissatisfaction and misery.

And fifth is consciousness, or as Buddhism says, consciousnesses: States of mind.

That's what we are, according to the enlightened perspective of Buddha. Has anybody found anything else that they think we are that is not included in those five? So where is the soul? Where is the ego, the id, and the super ego in that scheme? It's interesting. If you analyze, maybe you feel guilty or depressed, or maybe you feel victimized, or maybe you feel powerful -- which skandha does that fit in? You can then see that all of the skandhas, these heaps, these piles, are bunches of stuff themselves. Like a pile of sand, a whirling composite of forces. There's no fixed entity anywhere. The body changes all the time, right? Do we look the same way we looked five or ten or twenty years ago? Every seven years every cell in the body changes completely. Not to mention how our mind is changing all the time. And our feelings, sensations, and perceptions. So who or what are we? Who am I? Ask yourself that simple, utterly profound question. Who or what am I? Who is experiencing one's own experience, right now, this very moment? Feel it, sense it; don't just think and analyze. Who is present, in yourself, right now?!

Blake said exuberance is beauty. I like that. We can fantasize exuberantly about ourselves -- we are an eternal soul, we are light, and so on. We can all make up our own notions if we choose. But it's all equally made up, exuberantly, creatively made up. We create and experience our reality. It comes out of our own psychological and karmic conditioning. So all of these five skandhas are composite, like congeries, whirling groups of forces, just like the body is. Not a fixed thing. The feelings, sensations, perceptions, intentions, states of consciousness -- where is that "what am I"? Where is your immortal soul? Where is your who you think you are? Check it out. That's the exercise. That's the direction one can look when one goes more precisely into who or what am I and what's happening here.

One's own name and form and self-concept are more like a constellation being named, with lines drawn in between the points of light to shape into a form -- a concept superimposed upon reality, somewhat different than reality itself.

This analysis leads to the realization of the three characteristic marks of existence: Anicca, anatta, and dukkha -- impermanence, ungovernable or not-self, and dissatisfactoriness. We can see that the body is anicca, impermanent, changeable. This is not dogma; this is just how it is, at least according to the enlightened vision of Buddha. Tell me -- is it right?

And the body is dukkha, ultimately dissatisfying. Who can get lasting, ultimate fulfillment from a body, from a sensual experience? Even the highest body experiences are fleeting and ephemeral, leaving us thirsting for more.

The most tricky fact of life of these three is anatta -- not-self, ungovernable, selfless. Is the body anatta? Is there a governor? Who's running the show? That's the meaning of anatta, not-self, which opens into great sunyata or emptiness, openness -- not just of the self, but of all created things. No independent existent entity anywhere. You can call this thing in front of me a gong, but you could also call it metal. You could also call it brown. You could call it a musical instrument. Or you could call it an antique. It depends on how you relate to it, how you conceive of it and label it. Similarly, everything depends on conceptual imputation. Nothing is just a particular thing. It's all interrelated. Everything is relative.

Things can be viewed from any number of different angles. Look deeply, explore reality in your own experience, moment by moment. Find out for yourself. It can be incredibly rewarding.

We are not who we think we are. One person says she's a woman. Someone else says there's a beautiful woman. Someone else says there's a young woman. Someone else might say there's an American. From the point of view of the aliens or the animals, what would they say? Who knows, but it would be quite different, right? It all depends on your perspective. So we are not who we think we are. We all have these fantasies, almost like superstitions, about ourselves; but when you check, there's form, feeling, perception, volition, and consciousness. That's what comprises our individual existence, according to the enlightened Buddha. This is a very interesting reduction of all of our sandcastles and fancies about ourselves. It's not meant to be depressing, but to introduce how things are, to introduce enlightened view or complete understanding. There is karma, there is cause and effect, and just as there is a way to perpetrate suffering, there is a way to end suffering, through insight and understanding how things actually work and who and what we are. It is not beyond our grasp, when we apply ourselves to the spiritual work, the inner investigation. So turn the spotlight, the searchlight, inwards; discover yourself.

This kind of deconstructionist approach can be applied to anything, so we can understand that things are not exactly what they seem to be. We can relinquish some of our clinging and our concepts about things, including mine and yours and our incessant craving: I want and I must have. All that falls apart gradually when you again and again see through the illusion that these fixed entities are real and that this fixed entity -- one's self -- is real. Then selfish grasping loosens, and we are more naturally at ease with everyone and everything, with things just as they are.

States of consciousness change all the time. There is no one state of consciousness that is lasting or fulfilling. So we stop taking refuge in any particular, temporary state of mind. As we grow up and mature, we get less and less idealistic. We get more disillusioned about the pleasures of the senses as being really fulfilling. We seek more deeply and see that it's not just the physical sensations that are fulfilling, that are the answer to our existential questions, to the crises we all face today. Pleasure and success alone is not enough, not what we really want. It's not just beautiful perceptions or sights or sounds, or hearing beautiful music all day that's going to answer our quest. It's not material possessions. It's not just having the right state of mind that's going to answer our quest. States of mind are always changing -- no matter how high, no matter how ecstatic we become, no matter what new drug or new meditation comes around; it's just another trip. This is not about getting high. This is about the inherent freedom and wholeness of being. Authentic Dharma makes us free.

So when we look into ourselves, it might be interesting to reflect on these five skandhas. You can read about them more deeply in different books, in the sutras as well as in modern books. Apply this analysis to yourself as a touchstone, which is where it really counts. That is where the rubber meets the road, where movement and spiritual growth actually occurs, through one's own regular spiritual practice.

What is all this me and mine, my body? We can say "my body." No one is going to argue if I say this is my body. Except for the Lord of Death! I never have had an original thought in my whole life, and I'm supposed to be a poet and creative. My mind; it's a joke. My intentions. Somebody said about a political leader, "He's just like a pillow. He always shows the imprint of whatever head was just leaning on it." I'm just passing on what's been passed to me. My wife and my this and my that; it's illusion, and yet we're invested in it. It's fool's gold, but we invest our whole life and energy in it, with very small returns. Me, myself, and I: The Three Stooges! It's fun, it's fine, yet it's absurd. Let's keep a bigger perspective, and not be lost in illusory appearances.

All of this analysis and examination can actually help support the meditative process, which is ultimately non-analytical and non-conceptual. It can help us have some basis for letting go, for relaxing and allowing, for relinquishing a lot of the dualism and selfishness which drives all the incessant pushing and the pulling. (I want, I need. I'm happy, I'm sad.) All of our neurosis, psychosis, and pathology. All our dissatisfying behavior.

According to Buddhist medicine -- and there are Buddhist medical tantras and teachings -- all the poisons, all the kleshas (conflicting emotions and inner obscurations), all the illnesses come from the mind. It's not just saying that everything is psychosomatic; it's a little deeper than that. It's that it's all karmic. It's all effects of causes that we create through negative actions, unwholesome ways of being, our energies getting tied up and knotted. The diseases come from the imbalance of the energies and the humors, which are related to the movements of the spirit and the mind. It's all interconnected. And just as the causes of illness and suffering are within us, true health, happiness, and well-being are within us, too.

We can heal many of these illnesses and imbalances from within, as it were, by working with the energy, the prana, and through purifying the heart and mind, realigning our karma, balancing our karma skillfully. Once we see that it is not just rigidly me and mine, that's it's a process -- everything is in process -- we can see where to skillfully adjust. Where to apply the lever, how to use the rudder. A little rudder can move the whole boat. If the boat is going in the direction of madness or lack of health or unhappiness, a little steering is called for. It's no big deal. We don't have to commit suicide and hope we get a better boat next time. To commit suicide so we get out of the rat race completely is a big mistake. There are other alternatives, and I think it is incumbent upon us to find and adopt them, rather than to just give up and give in to despair, hopelessness, and pain. We can transcend, we can go beyond, we can heal our so-called souls if not our bodies and minds. There is always hope.

I think this five skandha scheme is a very interesting one, in the sense that it can begin to raise some very interesting questions and help us dig deeper, rather than just having a vague, amorphous kind of understanding. We are individual. We are each responsible for ourselves and our karma and our relations. Our individuality is comprised of these five aggregates or skandhas. We can work with that. It is actually an expression of the Buddha-nature.

Now, doesn't anybody want to say, "I didn't hear anything about Buddha-nature in the five skandhas. Where's the Buddha-nature? Who made that up?" That's the right question. What Buddha-nature? I never said anything about it. Who made that up? What enlightenment? What nirvana? Who made all that stuff up? Is it in us or elsewhere? How to get from "here" to "there"?

We're all looking for something to hang our hopes on, but when we really get down to the present moment, to our own experience, to clear seeing, we come to what Buddha said: "In hearing there is only hearing; no one hearing and nothing heard." There is just that moment, that hearing. You might think, "Oh, a beautiful bird." How do you know it's a bird? It might be a tape recorder. It might be bicycle brakes squeaking. In the first moment, there is just hearing, then we get busy, our minds and concepts get involved. The Buddha went through all the five senses. "In seeing there is just seeing; no one seeing and nothing seen." And so on, with tasting, touching, smelling, and thinking. Thoughts without a thinker. In thinking there is just thinking. There is just that momentary process. There is no thinker. The notion of an inner thinker is just a thought. We imagine that there is somebody thinking. It's like the Wizard of Oz. They thought there was this glorious wizard, but it was just a little man back there behind the screen, behind the veil. That's how it is with the ego. We think there's a great big monkey inside working the five windows, the five senses. Or maybe five monkeys, one for each sense; a whole chattering monkey house, which it sometimes feels like. But is there really a concrete individual or permanent soul inside at all? It seems more like that the lights are on, but no one is home!

I think if we really look into ourselves, it will be very interesting and helpful. It will have a lot of implications, too many to even consider right now because it really affects everything. That's why Socrates, who is at the beginning of our Western knowledge lineage, said, "Know thyself." All philosophy can be unpacked from those two words. Know thyself, and you'll know everything. You'll know everyone; everything is available there. We don't have to make up some fancy foreign words -- Tathagatagarbha or Buddha-nature or some other Sanskrit word. Just know thyself. Even better, let's get rid of the archaic word thy: Just know yourself. Then you'll know what's what. You'll know who's on first. Everything will start to make more sense. It's like having a cosmic key, which unlocks all mysteries, or finding the fabled Philosopher's Stone.

Medieval Christian mystic Meister Ekhardt said, "The eye through which I see God is the eye through which He sees me." There is just the seeing. There's no me and God. Maybe we can't understand God. Let's retranslate it: The eye through which I see Buddha is the eye through which Buddha sees me. The eye with which I recognize awareness (Buddha-nature) is the eye with which awareness (Buddha-nature) recognizes me. That's an introduction to nondualism. In that way, we can really be totally present, not separate, not alienated, not scattered, not distracted. Totally present, whole, and coherent. It makes sense. Everything falls into place; everything fits from that perspective. There's room for everything. You don't have to get rid of anything. You see things as they are. That's wisdom. That's prajna paramita, transcendental knowledge. That's enlightenment. That's also the first facet of the Eightfold Path, the Eight Steps to Enlightenment: Impeccable view or outlook, complete understanding, enlightened understanding. That's the direction that this practice follows. Seeing things as they are; not adding on all of our fabulous fantasies. Of course, it's beautiful to add on as much as we want, but we should know that we are doing it, so we can also see through it. When we put on our rainbow-colored sunglasses, we factor that in when we look at things -- until we forget! Then we get lost in a magic spell of our own making.

That's all I wanted to say tonight. Any questions?

(A young child): How come Buddha didn't feel any suffering when other people were suffering?

That's a good question. Actually, Buddha wasn't really free of suffering as long as there is any suffering, because all are interconnected. That's why he or she is still working on it, fulfilling enlightened Buddha-activity. Of course, it is different to suffer yourself or to feel the pain of another, to know another's suffering. Enlightened ones know suffering and its cause, but are no longer caught up in it.

A four-year-old friend of mine said to his father: "Buddha's not pretending." I felt that little boy intuited something there. I think there is a way of understanding these things that comes even before our conscious, developed minds. The rest of us are pretending, but Buddha's not pretending.

Bodhisattvas vow not to consider themselves free of suffering until there's no more suffering anywhere. That's the vow that we aspire to, the Bodhisattva Vow -- the heroic, altruistic journey of awakening.

A lama once said, when some of us were meditating at this place and the birds were chirping, "That's the cry of their suffering!" I never knew how to take that exactly. Was he joking? What do you think?

What is the difference between Buddha-nature and monism, as in Vedanta or other philosophies?

Monism posits that everything is one. Buddhism would say something like, one what? Or, one from what point of view? Any totalizing answer is probably fallacious. You can say "not two," but there's not one. You can't have one without two. There's nowhere to view it from, nowhere outside the system to regard it from, no closed system anywhere. Therefore, interconnected means that everything is interconnected. It doesn't mean that it's all one thing. Buddhism, the Middle Way, takes everything apart. If there's one, does it have sides? Philosopher Nagarjuna asks, "One what?" We're not saying anything except that everything's relative. One related to what? That's why the Third Zen Patriarch's famous poem said at the end, "Not two." It's like there is not self and other; it doesn't mean we are one big thing. But where is the divider? Are we each the same, different or ...?

Various schools of Buddhist thought also have some of these philosophical problems; but in general, the Middle Way of Dharma takes the position that any position is limited, including that one. That's why we're not trying to arrive at any position. There's a great freedom in just being, in no position, in not trying to land anywhere. Zen Master Seung Sahn always exhorts us to "Only go straight. Don't know!" Not knowing may be sufficient, if we can tolerate that much ambuiguity.

For example, eight-year-old Patricia brought up a question tonight about Buddha's suffering that nobody can answer. I waffled on it. I switched from Buddha to Bodhisattva; didn't you notice? But that's the point. The mind and rational discourse is not really the tool to totally untie that mystery of being. When you analyze things until you just can't go anymore, then what? Maybe something else opens up, another side of the brain, as it were, another modality of knowing and being.

How come when the duality breaks down, you can't put your finger through things?

Some people say you can. But at such a moment, your finger also breaks down, is no longer as you now conceive of it. There are all these stories about Himalayan yogis going through walls and flying. Who knows? On the other hand, there are certain physical laws like gravity. Those are all in the realm of karma, cause and effect. But all of that has to be taken with a grain of salt. Who knows that it won't be seen in different ways at some other point, in other states of consciousness, or by beings in other dimensions?

However, for our purposes, it's good to clarify these matters as much as possible. What are we looking for? Why are we here? Not, where did the world come from? But what are we looking for and what's the most direct route to it? The Dharma addresses that directly with, I think, a minimum of extra scaffolding, a minimum of dogma. But that also depends on us, if we can really go to the point and stay on it moment by moment. Really being with what is -- being what is. That's Buddha-nature. In the five skandhas, there's no Buddha-nature, a special sixth skandha, a fancy feather sticking out the top. That's just a construct. That's why emptiness is so fearsome, so awesome as a teaching. It's like infinite openness. There's no final answer, no totalization possible to answer everything automatically, and that's a liberating answer. Just keep your eyes peeled every moment. Dance in the sky, with nowhere to fall; that's emptiness, that's liberation, that's freedom from the barbed wire concentration camp of concepts superimposed upon reality.

On the other hand, since I invoked Meister Ekhardt, all of these things open into mystery. Meister Ekhardt probably had as good a shot at it as anybody. Zen Master D.T. Suzuki studied Ekhardt in depth, and endorsed his mystical insight as congruent with the Mahayana doctrine of sunyata, emptiness.

Where does memory fit into the five skandhas?

In consciousness. If you look into Buddhist psychology and the Abhidharma, in consciousness there are 52 mental factors. Maybe memory is one of them. Does anybody here know? I forget.

You can unpack those 52 into more numbers. It's not just a moment of anger or lust or covetous or jealousy, but there's past, present, and future moments of them. That's the point of all of this. Then you start to see what is actually happening, how it works. You get a little more space around it, a little less identified with it as mine. It's just a reaction to a cause, moment by moment. Just mind-moments popping and crackling. Enjoy that spectacle, and remain undeceived.

Memory is pernicious in a sense: It helps us link up or identify with notions like "It's mine" and "That's how I am," and "My story, my history, my drama," and all of that. Thought is just a moment flashing, but then there's discursive thought that has to do with memory and connecting and strategizing and all of that. And you end up being in a certain position, going in a certain direction unconsciously adopting regular habitual patterns. You put a lot of body English on the ball -- it doesn't just go straight. Our self-image is like self-memory; it conditions how we relate to every experience.

I can intellectually accept the teaching of the five skandhas as true, but emotionally I am mostly unable to accept that it is true. How does one get past that?

You chew on it. Until your teeth wear down and then your jaw wears down and you see what's left. It's called meditation or koan practice. All these ball-buster kind of Buddhist koans and conundrums and debates and other techniques. You chew on it; it doesn't get chewed up, you wear down! There's a great Zen poem, an enlightenment poem. The master sings about "hearing the sound of emptiness gnashing its teeth." And we're the food. Mmmm! Delicious.

What is our existence? What is the force impelling this existence? Are we free to steer and master that, or do we just have to be blown forward by the karmic force, like dead leaves before the wind? That's the point. Of course, you can "exist" if you want. We are all here existing. But are we exactly what we think we are? As we go on, if we feel depressed about who we are, are we stuck with that? If our lives feel claustrophobic, are we stuck with that?

It would probably be just as false to say you don't exist as to say you do exist, because that would be another absolute, just one more attempt at a total answer, a final solution. Things are not that manageable, that neatly packageable. Life remains just a little bit more messy and juicy and marvelous than that.

There's a sane, healthy ego and grownup adult individuality that one has to maintain, obviously. But that's not the whole story. There's also a mature, transpersonal, unselfish engagement with the world we can maintain at the same time, so we're not so closed in, constricted, self-preoccupied. It doesn't mean we don't know the meaning of me and mine -- my shirt rather than her shirt. We still know which closet is yours and where to put your shirt. You put it on your body; you don't put it on your refrigerator or on the rosebush. So you know about yourself in the conventional sense. This conventional self exists, temporarily -- obviously!

But there's also the not-mine. Do we know about that? Do we appreciate the beyond-ourselves level of being? It is as if there are two kinds of self to discuss here: the conventional self, which functions and exists, relatively speaking, and the non-existent ultimate, eternal self, which is actually what anatta (not-self) refers to.

Let's make it very practical in terms of meditation. When you have a thought, of course we think it is my thought; but do we also know that it's not my thought, at the same time, that it just sort of popped up? You could say it comes out of emptiness or you could say it is just the karmic ripening of previous thoughts or you could say thoughts arise from the mind. But where does the so-called mind arise from?

Maybe we think it's a thought worth writing down, so we write it down. We catch it in the form of a poem, a haiku, or an epigram. But what does my mean? Like with my body. Who gave us this body? Where did you get the copyright on it from? Did you buy it? Did you build it? Do you fabricate and create it? What does "my mind" actually imply, as an idea? We can look at everything like that, and see how we are a little overly involved in holding onto those things as me and mine -- when they are merely on loan, as it were.

A moment of anger comes, and instead of just experiencing the energy of the emotion -- which might actually have some intelligent function, like to know something's wrong, that there is injustice -- you identify with it: I'm an angry person. What's wrong with me? I can never get rid of this. It has a logic to it, before it becomes me and mine, becomes judged and conceptualized and identified as my anger.

The emotions have their own logic, their own intelligence, their own place and function. They can actually help us experience the world, not just bring us into conflict. We could train ourselves in emotional intelligence, and utilize their awakened aspect, to vividly perceive and discriminate.

If and when we reflect on the five skandhas as comprising our individuality, it helps us identify less with momentary perceptions and habitual, mostly unconscious patterns, even while we become more conscious, wakeful, clear, and aware. Then we have more autonomy and less reactivity. We develop deeper understanding and self-knowledge. This is the road to freedom.
"A warrior doesn't seek anything for his solace, nor can he possibly leave anything to chance. A warrior actually affects the outcome of events by the force of his awareness and his unbending intent." - don Juan

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
    • SIR
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 04:23:00 AM »
http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?title=Five_skandhas

Five skandhas (Skt. pañcaskandha; Tib. pungpo nga; Wyl. phung po lnga) — the five psycho-physical aggregates, which according to Buddhist philosophy are the basis for self-grasping.

Sogyal Rinpoche wrote:

"Once we have a physical body, we also have what are known as the five skandhas — the aggregates that compose our whole mental and physical existence. They are the constituents of our experience, the support for the grasping of ego, and also the basis for the suffering of samsara."[1]

And Chögyam Trungpa Rinpoche said:

“The five skandhas represent the constant structure of the human psychology as well as its pattern of evolution and the pattern of the evolution of the world. The skandhas are also related to blockages of different types — spiritual ones, material ones, and emotional ones.”[2]

They are:

1. form (Skt. rūpa; Wyl. gzugs)
   2. feeling (Skt. vedanā; Wyl. tshor ba)
   3. perception (Skt. saṃjñā; Wyl. ‘du shes)
   4. formations (Skt. saṃskāra; Wyl. ‘du byed)
   5. consciousness (Skt. vijñāna; Wyl. rnam shes)

Brief Explanation of the Five Skandhas

Introduction

The Sanskrit work skandha means an ‘aggregate’ or ‘heap’.

When we look more closely at what it is that we call ‘I’, we can see that it includes several elements, not just the parts that make up our physical bodies, but also our various senses and our minds.

In Buddhism, when we want to examine the self more precisely, we can make use of the five categories, which we call the ‘five skandhas’.

In actual fact, all conditioned phenomena may be included within these five groups, but when we are investigating the self, we limit ourselves to the form of our bodies, and our own thoughts and so on.
Form

In its broadest sense, form is spoken of in terms of causal and resultant forms. Causal forms are the elements of earth, water, fire and wind, and then the resultant forms – which are made from these elements – are said to include the five sense faculties and their objects, as well as a slightly more problematic category called ‘imperceptible forms’, which we do not need to go into here.

The sense faculties are not the ordinary sense organs—our eyes and ears and so on—but subtle forms within the sense organs. They have particular shapes which are described very precisely in the Abhidharma literature.

The first of the sense objects is visual form, which means the various colours and shapes that appear to our eyes. Broadly speaking, colours may be divided into the primary colours—which according to the Abhidharma are white, red, yellow and blue—and the secondary colours. They may be pleasant, unpleasant or neutral.

Sounds, the objects of the ears, may occur naturally or be man-made, or they may be a combination of the two, such as when a person beats a drum. A lot of sounds are just meaningless noise, but some impart meaning. In the case of the latter, they might be a vehicle for ordinary notions, or else the sublime, liberating message of the Dharma. As with sights, sounds can be pleasant, unpleasant or neutral.

Smells or odours can be natural or artificial, and once again, pleasant, unpleasant or neutral.

Tastes are said to be of six kinds, roughly translated as sweet, sour, bitter, hot, astringent and pungent.

Textures, or tactile sensations, may be felt on the body’s surface or in its interior. Interior ‘textures’ include hunger and thirst, and the feelings that come with being ill or deeply relaxed.

In this investigation, form means our physical bodies. More generally, it is all that we can see, hear, smell, taste and touch, and also the subtle faculties that do the seeing, hearing, smelling, tasting and touching.
Feelings

Although this is called the skandha of feelings, it does not mean emotional feelings, but something more like sensations. These are said to be the painful, pleasant and neutral sensations in the body and the pleasant or unpleasant sensations in the mind. (It is said that neutral sensations of the mind are not counted separately, because they are indistinguishable from the neutral sensations of the body.)

We are always experiencing sensations, mostly neutral ones, but also painful and pleasant.

They can also be thought of as the sensations that occur based on sense impressions. A sense object such as incense would belong under the skandha of form, but the sensation created when we smell it belongs in this category. In this case, it would most likely be a pleasant sensation.

According to the teachings, feelings are important because they are the basis for attachment and aversion, which lie at the heart of many of the conflicts between lay people, who have not renounced mundane concerns.
Perceptions

Perception means the apprehension of a specific object, as circumscribed and distinct from something else.

On the conceptual level, this means the recognition of identities or names, and on the sensory level it means the discernment of the five objects of sense.

Technically, perception is defined as ‘that which grasps or identifies characteristics’. Perception could be non-conceptual, in the case of the five physical senses, or conceptual, as in the perception of thoughts and ideas.

In all these cases, perception can either be ‘discerning’ or ‘non-discerning’. The five non-conceptual sense perceptions are regarded as discerning when they are operating normally and perceiving their proper objects: colours/shapes, sounds, smells, tastes and textures. Mental perception is said to be discerning when it distinguishes identities or names. This happens when (a) mind recognizes an object and associates it with its name, and (b) the mind knows what is referred to when a name is given.

Perception is non-discerning when the sense organ in question is fully functional but there is no object. This occurs in states of deep meditative absorption, and also when the mind is unable to identify and name objects, as, for example, when you encounter something for the first time and therefore do not recognize it. This is the common experience of children.

Mental perception is also non-discerning when it does not know what is referred to when names are given as, for example, when an unknown language is heard.

(It should however be noted that non-discerning perception does not refer to the mere privation of sensory stimulus, as, for example, when you are in a dark place with your eyes open or in a soundproof room. In these cases, the senses do in fact have objects – darkness and silence, respectively.)

There are as many types of perception as there are phenomena.

Perceptions are subjective experiences, and are said to be important because they are the basis for disagreement and controversy, leading to conflict amongst philosophers who have renounced worldly affairs.
Formations

The category called formations is a little complicated. But if we just limit ourselves to mental formations, then it basically refers to thoughts and emotions, or what are technically referred to as the ‘mental states’. Although there are many possible mental states, the Abhidharma teachings speak of fifty-one, which are held to be particularly important.

Sensation and perception are actually included in these fifty-one, but are treated separately in the list of the five skandhas because they are especially noticeable.

There is no need to go into all fifty-one here, but we should know that they include the components necessary for any cognition to occur, namely sensation, perception, intention (meaning the mind is directed towards a particular object), attention (the mind is held on that object) and contact (an object, a functioning sense organ and consciousness all come together).

There are also five states which assist in the discernment of objects. These are interest, appreciation, mindfulness, concentration and discernment. We are talking about these on a subtle level. For example, we need a certain amount of concentration to focus on a particular object, and some discernment to identify it.

These first ten are called ‘general mind states’.

Then there are the virtuous states of mind such as faith, conscientiousness, absence of attachment, absence of aggression, absence of delusion, and diligence.

Then there are the principal non-virtuous states of ignorance, desire, anger, pride, doubt and harmful beliefs; as well as the secondary negative states such as vindictiveness, spite, envy, deceit, stinginess, laziness and forgetfulness. Here we also include the drowsiness and agitation we experience in meditation, as well as distraction.

Finally, there are several ‘variable’ states which could be either positive or negative, such as regret.
Consciousness

Consciousness here refers to the consciousness of impressions from the five senses, and also consciousness of mental objects, like thoughts, ideas and emotions.

The consciousnesses of the five senses (seeing, hearing, smelling, tasting, and touching) are non-conceptual. Then the information is fed to the mental consciousness, where concepts can enter in.

Visual consciousness registers only colours and shapes. It does not recognize particular colours, which is the function of the skandha of perception. Nor does it identify certain colours as pleasant, which is done by the feeling skandha.

The followers of the Mind Only school identified eight types of consciousness. In addition to the consciousnesses of the five senses and the mind, they spoke of a ‘defiled mental consciousness’ and the famous ‘all-ground consciousness’, or alaya vijñana.

The defiled mental consciousness is closely connected with the ego, and is where the notion of ‘I’ and ‘mine’ enters into experience. It is absent in the meditation of noble beings, but never ceases in the mind stream of an ordinary being. This seventh consciousness relates very closely to our ‘self-image’. After we receive data from the senses, and process them with the sixth consciousness, the defiled mental consciousness asks whether or not this experience fits with how we have come to think of ourselves – our ‘image’, in other words. This means there is a lot of judgment here, paving the way for attachment and aversion.

The alaya consciousness is described as ‘mere knowing, an unspecified apprehension, the object of which is general and uncircumscribed’. It is often likened to a storehouse, in which we keep all our habits and instincts, the imprints or ‘seeds’ of our actions which will ripen into future experiences.

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
    • SIR
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 04:45:42 AM »
Five Skandhas

1) form, 2) feeling, 3) cognition, 4) formations, 5) consciousness.

The mind is like a master painter

Who can paint all worlds.

From it are produced the five skandhas

As well as all Dharmas.

(FAS, HYSC 30:54-70))

When the Bodhisattva Avalokitesvara was practicing the profound prajna-paramita, he illuminated the five skandhas and saw that they are all empty.

(HS 1)

Meaning of "Skandhas"

Skandha is a Sanskrit word meaning heap, pile, or aggregate. The Buddha illustrated his teaching about the skandhas by using five small piles--heaps--of different grains. The skandhas are general divisions for categorizing all phenomena in the conditioned world. Because they include within them all transitory, impermanent phenomena, they are an important tool for understanding the Buddhist doctrine of no-self. If one analyzes all aspects of what one feels to be one's "self", one finds that all fall within the scope of the Five Skandhas.

"The Five Skandhas as they are found in your body:

1) The body is the form skandha.

2) Once you have the form skandha, you then have feelings of enjoyment and pleasure.

3) You want pleasure, and so you give rise to polluted thinking, which is cognition. How can I get what I want? How can I actually indulge in pleasure?

4) You have to go and do it. That is formations.

5) Acting requires a certain amount of wisdom, a consciousness which is a kind of small intelligence, a minute amount . . . .

"Your body achieves its aims. 'Oh, enjoyment! Ahhh!' The enjoyment lasts about five minutes. Because of the excessive exertion, your blood vessels rupture and then death comes. . . . What was it all about? It was just the Five Skandhas.

"The Five Skandhas are just five ways of uniting, of working together to open a company. The company, once opened, opens again and again... The skandha-company grows everywhere like a wild vine which is never cut. Once opened, the Five Skandhas, Inc. always stays open, always feeling that there is hope. What hope? 'Ah! This life I didn't make money, but wait until next life and I will be able to make some.' Who can know whether there will be even less capital in the next life?" (HS 46-47)

"When you break through all five skandhas, and are no longer deluded by them, you can 'cross beyond all suffering'. You can then put an end to all bitterness. Seeing that the Five Skandhas are all empty is getting rid of the attachment to self." (LY II 104)

1. FORM -i Rupa Skandha - The Body, the Elements and their Corporealness, Tangibility (Tamas Guna of Yoga and Ayurveda)

And why, brethren, do ye say body (i.e., form)? One is affected , brethren. That is why the word "body" is used. Affected by what? Affected by touch of cold and heat, of hunger and thirst, of gnats, mosquitoes, wind and sun and snakes. One is affected, brethren. That is why we say "body". (Kindred Sayings III 72-73)

"What is FORM? The body is included among the form-dharmas; since it is form, it is called the "form-body". Your form-body has an appearance, but when you seek for its origin you will find that it is empty... When the Four Great Elements, namely earth, water, fire, and wind, unite, the body comes into being.

This is what is meant by having a form. Working together the elements establish a corporation. The corporation comes into being from the four conditioned causes: earth, which is characterized by solidity and durability; water, which is characterized by moisture; fire, which is characterized by warmth; wind, which is characterized by movement. When the four conditioned causes disperse, each has a place to which it returns; therefore, the body becomes empty." (HS 44-45)

"Once you break through the Form Skandha, 'all the mountains, rivers, and great earth are seen as empty.'" (LY II 103)

Form includes the Four Great Elements and the eleven derived types of form known as the Eleven Form Dharmas.

A. FOUR GREAT ELEMENTS

Name State Activity

1) earth solidity produced by repulsion

2) water liquidity or produced by attraction

fluidity

3) fire temperature produced by heat

4) air/wind expansion, light- produced by motionless, mobility

When they are in equilibrium, the Four Great Elements together produce a pure form which is not detectible by the ordinary senses. That pure form is the inner substance of the five perceptual organs and the medium of their actual functioning. When the Four Great Elements are out of equilibrium, different combinations of them produce both the coarse material aspect, or "sheaths", of the perceptual organs and also their objects (what they perceive).

B. ELEVEN FORM DHARMAS

Organs Objects

1) eyes 6) sights
2) ears 7) sounds
3) nose 8) smells
4) tongue 9) tastes
5) body 10) tangible objects
11) subtle traces

The subtle traces are mental residue of verbal and physical action. They can be understood as the "seeds" of future retribution.

2. FEELING -- Vedana Skandha - Bodily Sensations (Rajas Guna of Yoga and Ayurveda)

And why, brethren, do ye say "feeling"? One feels, brethren. That is why the word "feeling" is used. Feels what? Feels pleasure and pain; feels neutral feelings. One feels, brethren. That is why the word "feeling" is used. (Kindred Sayings III 73)

"Once the body manifests, it likes pleasurable FEELINGS. There are three kinds of feelings, which correspond to the three kinds of suffering:

Feelings of suffering;
Feelings of happiness;
Feelings which are characterized by neither suffering
nor happiness." (HS 45)

"A state arises and you perceive it; you feel it is pleasurable. Eating good things, putting on a fine garment, feeling warm and being greatly delighted--these feelings of contentment, as well as feelings of displeasure and pain, are all grouped under the Feeling Skandha." (LY II 103)

Feelings are pleasant, unpleasant or neutral. They arise from contact of organ, object, and consciousness. Feeling includes both the primary sensation and the primary affective categorization of it.

3. COGNITION -- Samjna Skandha - Thinking, Recognizing, Perceiving (Sattva Guna of Yoga and Ayurveda)

And why, brethren, do ye say "perception"? One perceives, brethren. That is why the word "perception" is used. Perceives what? Perceives blue-green, perceives yellow, or red, or white. One perceives, brethren. That is why the word "perceptions" is used. (Kindred Sayings III 73)

When you are awake, your mind thinks. When you are asleep, you dream. Thus your thinking moves false emotions through interaction. (SS VIII 276)

"As for COGNITION, you certainly must have (the need for) false thoughts if you want enjoyment. You can't be without it. 'How can I think of a way to buy a car? How can I buy a beautiful home? How can I think of a way to buy a yacht? an airplane?' Your false thoughts fly back and forth and your hair turns white. Why? It turns white from false thinking." (HS 46)

Cognition is the differentiation and identification of objects both physical and mental. Therefore, it includes both higher perceptual functions and thinking processes, including those of language.

4. FORMATIONS - Samskara Skandha - Impulses, Volitional Tendencies, Compositional Factors (Rajas Guna)

In many of the passages below the alternate translation 'activities' is used.

And why, brethren, do ye say "the activities-compound"?

Because they compose a compound. That is why, brethren, the word "activities-compound" is used. And what compound do they compose?

It is the body that they compose into a compound of body. It is feeling that they compose into a feeling-compound. It is perception that they compose into a perception compound; the activities into an activities-compound; consciousness into a consciousness-compound. They compose a compound, brethren. Therefore, the word (activities)-compound is used. (Kindred Sayings III 73)

"These activities never stop. They progress and shift through subtle changes. Your nails grow long, your hair grows, your energy wanes, and your face becomes wrinkled. The processes continue and yet you never wake up." (SS VIII 277)

"When you lie in bed at night, you have a thousand plans...Sometimes you get up early and act on them. Sometimes sleeping seems nice, and you just sleep. FORMATIONS are basically the acting out of karma, that is, really acting upon your false thinking." (HS 46)

"Activities mean movement. They are ceaseless. People are first young, and they become middle-aged, and then old, and then they die. Thought after thought arises and is extinguished, thought after thought without cease. This is the skandha of activities." (SS III 22)

Formations refer to both conscious and non-conscious volitional forces, including:

a) conscious intentions or acts of will, the most important category of this skandha;

b) innate predispositions (karma from past lives);

c) unconscious forces having to do with basic life functions, nourishment, and growth.

5. CONSCIOUSNESS  -- Vijnana Skandha - The Eight Consciousnesses

And why, brethren, do ye say consciousness?

One is conscious, brethren. Therefore, the word "consciousness" is used. Conscious of what? Of (flavours) sour or bitter; acrid or sweet; alkaline or non-alkaline; saline or non-saline. One is conscious, brethren. That is why the word "consciousness" is used. (Kindred Sayings III 74)

It is like rapidly flowing water which appears to be still on the surface. You don't detect the flow, but it is, nevertheless, not flowing." (SS VIII 280)

"The skandha of consciousness involves the making of distinctions. It discriminates, considers, and seeks advantages from circumstances." (SS III 22)

Consciousness is the subtle basis of feeling, cognition, and formations. It consists of a subtle distinction-making awareness that distinguishes awareness from the objects of awareness. It is a flux of constantly changing knowing activity.

THE FIVE

Body (i.e., form), brethren, is impermanent. What is impermanent, that is suffering. What is suffering, that is not the Self.

What is not the Self, "that is not mine, that am not I, that is not the Self of me." This is the way one should regard things as they really are, by right insight.

So likewise with regard to feeling, perception, the activities, consciousness.

So seeing, brethren, the well-taught Ariyan [i.e., noble] disciple feels disgust at body, at feeling, perception, the activities and consciousness.

Feeling disgust he is repelled: by repulsion he is released; by that release set free, knowledge arises: "in the freed man is the free thing," and he knows: 'destroyed is rebirth; lived is the righteous life; done is the task; for life in these conditions there is no hereafter." (Kindred Sayings III 68-69)

The skandha of form is like a mass of foam, because, when taken hold of, it cannot be kept together (in the hand); feeling is like a bubble because, as lasting only for a moment, it is impermanent; perception (cognition) is like a mirage, because it is misled by the thirst of craving; the impulses (formation) are like a plantain tree because, when (the leaf-sheaths) are taken away, no core remains; consciousness is like a dream, because it takes hold of what deceives. Therefore, the five skandhas have no self, (and they contain) no person (pudgala), no living being, no living soul, no personality and no manhood (purusa). . . . (Conze, tr. Arya-prajnaparamita-hrdaya-tika 54)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk