Psychic and Healer.
Light

Author Topic: Update  (Read 12579 times)

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • High Plateau
  • Fibre to the Soul!
Update
« on: May 17, 2007, 09:52:35 PM »
I have repeatedly said that forums are not a ‘practice’ arena, which should be done in our own world. The reason is firstly because some see forums as their main place of practice, and it shouldn’t be. But also because by obsessively utilising a forum as a place of practice creates a false perception of what practice and the path mean.

However, forums are also within our own world, and so the same diligence needs to be applied in every area of our world. This means forums become a place of practice to that extent. But they can never be a substitute for the work one does throughout our day and night in all the little and big things we engage in, plus our specific exercises. This forum should be a place where we come to talk and share about our path, not a place to engage in personality competitions. Still people will be people, and come here at the level they are at - such is life.

So this forum has to adapt to the people who attend. There is a lot to learn about humans in a forum, which can benefit us in the other main areas of our world. This is the reason I have not deleted all unacceptable posts, but placed some in the Bardo, which Guests have no access to.

Restless Soma requires the same level of self-control and self-refinement as every other part of our path - it is no less or more serious. When we react in ‘script’ patterns, which betray underlying issues we have yet to resolve, then we must use that to alert us to self-work that need immediate attention. A forum can’t do that work for us, we have to come here ready to reflect and take away homework.

I can’t make this a pretty garden for elves to play tea ceremonies under the apple blossoms on a Spring morning, with colourful butterflies and wise friends with which to pass your time in comfort and delight. I can only create a place where issues will rise up. Some delightful, and some not. It is up to each and every member to reflect on why they get caught in behaviour patterns beyond their control. One such pattern is the addiction to replying to someone’s comment which betrays their complete unwillingness to have a two way meeting. Why post to someone who’s ears and eyes are closed? So many threads drag on indefinitely where no one is taking the slightest notice of anyone else, and where participants delight in coming up with clever and meaningless quips, with no audience but themselves. That is just one example of what I mean by applying the path to even this forum.

Not everyone here is as we may wish. As in life, we have to work with the material that presents. The critical thing is in how we respond to unpleasant situations, and the issue is emotional reactions. If we get emotionally upset by what we perceive to be a ploy someone is pulling, then that needs looking at. We have all types here - some are sneaky, waiting for an unguarded moment to slit a few throats; some are ignorant, believing themselves to be fabulous toltecs or whatever; some are a little dim, and can’t see they are being misguided in their trust; some are plain bloodyminded, and won’t wake up to their stupidity; some are wise, but scared to allow others to see their inner feelings; some are novices, but try hard to understand what is happening and to do their best; some are very skilled at the path, and are trying to lend a hand where they can, and some are just arrogant, and will wander away when they don’t receive appropriate respect. We have to work with everyone, unless their behaviour derails the purpose of the board, then they will be set down at the next stop.

Rise above your pettiness and schemes - if you try to work on self, others will respond.

Offline zenandnow

• Sprout
    • Giovanni Sollima - Daydream (part 1)
Re: Update
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 08:57:45 AM »
where participants delight in coming up with clever and meaningless quips
hey now, i resemble that remark.
"When you were a wandering desire in the mist, I too was there, a wandering desire.  Then we sought one another, and out of our eagerness dreams were born.  And when you were a silent word upon life's quivering lips, I too was there, another silent word.  Then life uttered us and...-Kahlil Gibran

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • High Plateau
  • Fibre to the Soul!
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 12:25:51 AM »
Well the forum has settled back to a pleasant quiet reflective mood... for awhile anyway.

Offline daphne

• Storm
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 12:29:31 AM »
Yes, it has.  Fascinating.   :)

Offline mayflow

• Storm
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 01:00:35 AM »
It really is interesting. Several things come to mind, and when the noise is too high, it's hard to think, but when everything is too quiet I seem to get over-complacent.

I think it is something about needing a middle way; a balance.

That is harmony too, and I think this forum has become very much about harmonic resonances. To me, that seems sort of like blending into all the resonances of nature and life, and the Universe overall. Doesn't mean I don't wanna blend with the discord at times, but not all the time. That can be a part of the harmony as well, but not it's entirety. :)

Offline daphne

• Storm
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 01:11:42 AM »
It really is interesting. Several things come to mind, and when the noise is too high, it's hard to think, but when everything is too quiet I seem to get over-complacent.

I think it is something about needing a middle way; a balance.

That is harmony too, and I think this forum has become very much about harmonic resonances. To me, that seems sort of like blending into all the resonances of nature and life, and the Universe overall. Doesn't mean I don't wanna blend with the discord at times, but not all the time. That can be a part of the harmony as well, but not it's entirety. :)

;)

sine_wave

Offline zenandnow

• Sprout
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 07:16:00 PM »
Well the forum has settled back to a pleasant quiet reflective mood... for awhile anyway.
yes, indeed, it has become so.  balance will always restore itself given time. 

a middle way indeed! 
"When you were a wandering desire in the mist, I too was there, a wandering desire.  Then we sought one another, and out of our eagerness dreams were born.  And when you were a silent word upon life's quivering lips, I too was there, another silent word.  Then life uttered us and...-Kahlil Gibran

nakashi

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2007, 12:13:29 PM »
yes, indeed, it has become so.  balance will always restore itself given time. 

a middle way indeed! 

Aaaah, but
is there ever anything but balance?
It's all in what we choose to see.
:)

Offline zenandnow

• Sprout
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 05:51:53 PM »

Aaaah, but
is there ever anything but balance?
It's all in what we choose to see.
:)
it is all in the way it is.  what we choose to see has little to do with the way it is.

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • High Plateau
  • Fibre to the Soul!
Re: Update: ATTENTION ALL MEMBERS
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 04:29:30 AM »
I have been pondering the purpose and direction of Restless Soma for some time now.

I have received some suggestions from 'out there', and I've said, "Why not?"

Originally, Restless Soma was a way to bridge the collapse of the ToltecNagual forum. That is now long passed. Spirit has changed chords some time ago. That has now been gently put to sleep.

I have allowed RS to lie fallow for a time, just to reset it's energy. Recently, it has undergone a substantial cleansing process, to remove most of the rubbish from the past. That has no doubt allowed an energetic opportunity for me to realign the purpose of Restless Soma.

I should confess, that most of the past discussion here in RS I have found to be largely meaningless. Taken, that is, in the context of what is pivotal for our life, as beings designed to die. I no longer have the stomach for paths that just roam around in the bush, and I no longer care to host a forum for such paths.

The situation is now thus - either a genuinely relevant discussion takes place, which I at least feel attracted to participate in, or it can just remain at a low level of activity so I don't have to expend too much effort to monitor.

To this end some changes are in order.

To begin, all 'Guest' access has now been restricted so that non-members can no longer see the main part of the forum, or this post. That will change, but for now I want to block out uncommitted eyes, such that a few deep things can proceed.

Soon, all members will not be able to gain access. That is so a new process can begin.

Suzerains (blogs) have been retired, as I no longer wish to host personal raves. From now on, it is about dialogue - communication.

I am moving slowly on all this because I am extremely busy with work now, and because my computer has been sick for the last week. Just healed today (fingers crossed).

Here is the new structure.

To gain entrance to Restless Soma, as a new member or an old member, I am requesting everyone email me a primary piece of writing - I will explain, but just to give early warning:

I want everyone to begin to participate as an adult member of the Friends of the Path. I ask each person write a central piece, in whatever way they wish, which stakes their claim to be on their own path. How you word this is your choice. It will be placed in a special folder called Portal - a topic for each person, to which any member can reply.

I will create the folder under your name, and I prefer if you use a special name - preferably your own, but I won't hold anyone to that. Plus I can change the name later if you so desire. I will place your piece at the beginning of that topic.

Once that has happened, people become 'members'. Until then they are on an intermediary membership. I will try to set up read/write access such that it unfolds through this process.

The rules inside will be different. I will explain this more later, but in essence, anything I deem to be either inappropriate, redundant, meaningless or insult-insinuating, will disappear. What I want to see here in RS is meaningful and thoughtful discussion about what is for all who enter, the most critical issues of our life's journey.

If you wish to participate in such a forum, then you are welcome. And to assist those who can't help themselves, posts not conducive to learning and negotiating our paths, will not be.

Those who already wish to participate in the new RS, kindly email me at mmaher@bluepin.net.au your Initial Portal piece of writing. Once it is up, you will have access to add pictures or other media, and subsequent explanations or additions. But this will stand as your flag, your standard, that everyone else can draw reference to when interacting with you.

I will not get to these major changes till next weekend, to allow infrequent members to have a chance to see what is up ahead in Restless Soma.

On reflection, for current members, just tell me you want a Portal, and I will create it and give you access to arrange and post your own Initial Piece. I am still working on this method, but I feel that would be more useful to you.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 04:40:23 AM by Michael »

Offline mayflow

• Storm
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 06:06:03 PM »

I don't know where my next interests may lay
I don't know where my current searches may lead
I just trust in that certain something
that resides within...

Life is not a stagnation, it is a dynamism
and things are gonna spin
This is not only as it must be
but also it is as it is

So as always I follow my Bliss
(just that my "Bliss"
 keeps on changing...)
This is a good thing I see

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • High Plateau
  • Fibre to the Soul!
Re: Update: New Rules
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 05:08:30 PM »
Just quickly - everyone should be aware of the New Rules.

Put simply, no nasty stuff, and no monologues. This latter means that Restless Soma is no longer a place to post repeated posts without anyone's interaction. It is about dialogue. If no one responds to your post, then fine. Move on.

In practice it works this way:
If you post 2 or 3 sequential posts, then you are straying close to the wire. If you go beyond that, then they will be removed.

If you are posting separately to individual replies from other members, then that is fine - it is all about dialogue.

If you are posting extra sequentials on you own Portal, then there is more leniency, as it is your Portal. However, it is still not a place to rave on and on. If it begins to go too far beyond interactive communication, the rule will apply there also.

There is something you can do to help effusive and enthusiastic members - reply to them.
But also there is the other rule, replies need to have some substance, even if it's only support or agreement. Silly replies are not approved of, as it does nothing for communication.

The overall new momentum in Restless Soma is constructive interaction by people with a common interest in personal growth.

Is there any reason it should be otherwise?

And let it be known - everyone will be treated equally - everyone.

~~~~~

But let me add - I have been very impressed with the quality of interaction here so far - isn't that more enjoyable?

There has been excellent and thoughtful posts by everyone here since the New Birth of RS. Please continue, and if Hanuman does a little pruning, just carry on - he is not being personal.

The quality of communication, and long overdue for RS, is a delight to see. I am only sorry I have not the time to participate more - in a few weeks I should be freed up more.

thanks to all.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 05:12:34 PM by Michael »

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • High Plateau
  • Fibre to the Soul!
Re: Update: Restless Soma has awoken again
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2008, 10:55:56 AM »
I'm still trying to reset all the permission back to normal, and I am getting it worked out slowly. If you see anything odd, doesn't work that should, or shouldn't be allowed etc - please PM me.

Yes I installed the Chat this afternoon, but it got entangled in the permissions process - I hope it's right now. You can let me know if it's not.

While installing it I noticed the AI feature which I  had ignored in earlier installations, so I turned it on just to see what it does. There is one AI character - Krishna. I have had some conversations with him, and he is a bit of a flip head. He says he's learning, but I'm not too sure. I may delete him if he doesn't come up to speed. Tell him to piss off if he annoys you, but give him a reason - you never know, he may learn.

littlefeather

Re: Update: Restless Soma has awoken again
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2008, 07:08:15 PM »

While installing it I noticed the AI feature which I  had ignored in earlier installations, so I turned it on just to see what it does. There is one AI character - Krishna.

What's AI?

Endless Whisper

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2008, 12:17:26 AM »
Deleting "krishna" just sounds like so not right. Id take that as a bad omen. Maybe just, let him have his own special chatroom, and then create another one for everyone else? :D