Psychic and Healer.
Light

Author Topic: A very significant question  (Read 5761 times)

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • High Plateau
  • Fibre to the Soul!
A very significant question
« on: August 25, 2008, 05:38:28 AM »
What is the meaning of 'acquired taste'?

And how do you see that pertains to the path of knowledge?
and the ability to comprehend a gift?

Offline Merkaba

• Tadpole
Re: A very significant question
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 05:57:01 PM »
What is the meaning of 'acquired taste'?

And how do you see that pertains to the path of knowledge?
and the ability to comprehend a gift?

When I think of an acquired taste, it takes me back to the first time I had beer. I did not like it, however after a few attempts I began to taste it. Then I was able to taste the difference in beers.
If I apply that thought to the path of knowledge, I look back on my upbringing. My martial skills were poor, uncoordinated, sloppy, and lacked essence. *It was a path to knowledge, I did not know it yet.* After I learned how to move the "tornado" through disciplined practice it became acquired. Through this diligent practice and discipline of breathing I was able to eventually expand my awareness, feel, and eventually see. As I went through those stages I began to comprehend the gifts given to me. I cherish those that continue to come.

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • High Plateau
  • Fibre to the Soul!
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 05:35:34 AM »
When I think of an acquired taste, it takes me back to the first time I had beer. I did not like it, however after a few attempts I began to taste it. Then I was able to taste the difference in beers.

Same as me! That was my first realisation - it actually took me a year to like beer. That is precisely the example I use in my own mind.

If I apply that thought to the path of knowledge, I look back on my upbringing. My martial skills were poor, uncoordinated, sloppy, and lacked essence. *It was a path to knowledge, I did not know it yet.* After I learned how to move the "tornado" through disciplined practice it became acquired. Through this diligent practice and discipline of breathing I was able to eventually expand my awareness, feel, and eventually see. As I went through those stages I began to comprehend the gifts given to me. I cherish those that continue to come.

Acquired taste normally means we don't begin to appreciate that we actually like something, which at first we thought we didn't like. But we had to persevere through a period of exposure to it inspite of the fact we disliked it so much.

This phenomenon demonstrates to us that we do not know ourselves - we don't 'know what we like'. It has happened to me so many times in life, that if I dismiss my antipathy, and persevere, I often come to a point where I discover I really love something very deeply. How many walls do I throw up around me based on my superficial likes and dislikes. Once I experienced this a few times, I realised I didn't know myself - I could do or be anything, given sufficient exposure.

Of course, there are times no matter how much exposure I have, I just dislike it more and more. And then there are those times when I stop something which I believe I love, only to find a growing distaste manifests the longer I remain away from it - cooking fat was one of these. Also smoking a pipe was another - so much so that I had to 'push' through my distaste in order acquire pleasure in it again.

Whisky is another - too much whisky, always reminds me exactly why I dislike it, and I don't touch it again for about a year, till I've forgotten, and have to be reminded again.

Each of these have their counterpoints on the path of knowledge. I have a strong image...
(dinner, I'll have to say more another time)

Jaharkta

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 04:15:32 PM »
It's funny that you all use the example of beer.  I can remember 'acquiring the taste for it' in my late teens, then overdoing it to the point of throwing it up quite traumatically. Not to mention behaving very badly during my last dance with it. Even now, almost 40 years later, I can't even stand the smell of it. That and "Ripple" wine, heheh (a very cheap brand of wine they used to produce in the us -- some real rot-gut stuff.)

When I think of "acquiring a taste", I think of people, though. There might be someone who puts us off, but through exposure to them, and hopefully through seeing things through their eyes, and attempting to walk in their shoes, one "gets it" about the person. Likewise with cultures and subcultures.

I will add, though, that "getting it" about a person does not necessarily bring them into one's everyday world, or constant awareness. 

Offline Affinity

• Tadpole
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 10:18:56 AM »
I think typically we unwittingly allow ourselves to be programmed to believe something expressed to us by others. In the case of "acquiring a taste" I think we unwittingly program ourselves. We grow to enjoy something that we really have no long term understanding of, no advantages perspective on. However in some cases our body intrinsically "knows" better and informs us with an accurate initial response that we simply don't acknowledge.

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • High Plateau
  • Fibre to the Soul!
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 06:08:21 AM »
I think typically we unwittingly allow ourselves to be programmed to believe something expressed to us by others. In the case of "acquiring a taste" I think we unwittingly program ourselves. We grow to enjoy something that we really have no long term understanding of, no advantages perspective on. However in some cases our body intrinsically "knows" better and informs us with an accurate initial response that we simply don't acknowledge.

good point, and I can think of many cases where we are pushed in a direction for which we acquire a taste, but which is really not our true nature. And then we live in a world which we believe we like, never knowing our true tastes lie elsewhere.

There are many levels of this, from individual items, to places we live, to careers, to whole views on the world and life.

There have been many times in life when I have had to un-learn things, and to discover that I really liked things which I had inculcated into me by influential people were distasteful, or bad or wrong - then after accident or intent for knowing, I discovered these people were wrong, at least in my own personal preferences.

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • High Plateau
  • Fibre to the Soul!
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 08:12:42 AM »
To get back to this subject. Although it is true that we can be convinced to acquire a taste for something that we have no natural affinity, nonetheless, it is the circumstances when we discover we have a natural affinity for a taste, but did not know it until we went through some process of acquiring.

I was brought up in the city, with no natural exposure to the wilderness. Through my involvement with the Boy Scouts, I began to discover I liked the wilderness - we used to go on camps. I know of many who didn't like it, although I always have the suspicion that with enough exposure, everyone would learn to like the wilderness. Really, though, I doubt that.

Then it was after my experience in the military, when we camped in the jungles for long periods, that I really developed this taste. I eventually chose to leave the city and live in the country, on the edge of the wilderness - I can walk out the back any time, and there's no one there.

Perhaps the best example I know is of my partner Julie's involvement with India. She only went there because I had discovered I loved it - that was no acquired taste. I loved it the moment I set foot in the country.

But Julie at first discovered she disliked it. She was one of those who had to go through the 'threshold' experience of India. On our first trip, she begged me to take her out of that hell-hole and go on a trip to Tasmania. I refused, and there was no way she could get out herself, so she carried on - ups and downs. But it wasn't till right near the end of that three month trip, that as we were about to leave, she realised she had fallen in love with India.

Since then she has become obsessed with India, to the extent of returning to university after ten years absence, just to study India, with the hope that if she did well she would get a scholarship to do a PhD and then maybe a grant to return. And that's exactly what happened. She still reads and watches everything she can get hold of about India - it was a taste she had to travel through an extremely difficult period to acquire.

The Path of Knowledge is also like that. It is an acquired taste. The initial taste we believe we have when we begin is not about the Path at all. It is a belief we have that we have found something that will salvage our pride by the fantasy of thinking we are magical.

It is only after we have been through the ringer, that we begin to learn about what the path is really about.

There are many things we simply cannot know, cannot appreciate, without having travelled a good deal of the road. So often opportunities pass us by, which we have not acquired the receptivity to recognise. We are surrounded by gifts that we do not see because we haven't learnt to value them.

One of these is the appreciation of where we are going.

Imagine you are walking up a valley road. At the bottom of the valley, you can't possibly see where the road is headed, because the valley twists and turns. It is only after some travelling that you reach a point along the path, where a vista reveals itself of the landscape at the head of the valley.

On the Path of Knowledge, when we begin, our heads are filled with bullshit. Fantasies of who we are and where we are going. Believe me the truth is very different.

I say to people, put aside your beliefs and fantasies. Put aside your attitudes of what you like and what you dislike. Put aside your judgements of what is of value and what is not. Put aside your opinions of what is important and what isn't, of who is worthy and who is not, of who is for you and who against.

Stop all this make-believe. There are some people who believe that from the point at where they stand, right here now, the Truth is available to them. So their emotions, feelings, opinions, insights, valuations, are valid, right now. That belief is wrong.

As with acquiring a taste, you did not know you loved a taste, until you had learned, until you had passed through a journey of discovery - of initiation. So too, you do not know now, you cannot trust your assessments or perceptions now, because you have not acquired the necessary prerequisites to receive truth.

Either you are filled with the false values of others, or you have not developed the receptors in your soul, to perceive reality.

There is only one answer - stop your endless make-believe, and work on your practices.

The practices are there - we all know them. They are in books and are explained by those further along the road. By all means attempt to gain correct alignment in your mind, but don't swagger around believing you know what is what, and what you like and what is of value and what isn't. Adopt the fluid and yielding position of possibilities.

Work on removing the draining attitudes from your mind, and work on the exercises. Work on the aspiration, try to understand the longing, seek to penetrate into things, instead of closing them down, wrapping them up and stating your opinion as fact.

The headwaters of the valley stream reveals itself to us slowly, like a furtive deer, it shies away from know-alls, from arrogance and hubris.

Only after having been on the path for many years can anyone begin to acquire the appreciation of those who have travelled ahead of us, and left their cryptic marks. These are precious gifts, and we should hold them with care till we acquire the taste for them.

Acquiring taste is all about the realisation that we do not know ourselves. We do not know Spirit, nor do we know where this road leads. It is about having the humility to leave possibilities open, like containers in our soul. Admit we do not know.

So when we approach our teacher, if we have one, remember that s/he sees a world which for us lies beyond a veil of mist. Our task is to clear the fog from our eyes, from our heart, and instead of seeing mirages in that fog, and taking them for real, we humbly wait till our eyes have cleared.

m.

Jaharkta

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 11:24:43 AM »
To get back to this subject. Although it is true that we can be convinced to acquire a taste for something that we have no natural affinity, nonetheless, it is the circumstances when we discover we have a natural affinity for a taste, but did not know it until we went through some process of acquiring.

I was brought up in the city, with no natural exposure to the wilderness. Through my involvement with the Boy Scouts, I began to discover I liked the wilderness - we used to go on camps. I know of many who didn't like it, although I always have the suspicion that with enough exposure, everyone would learn to like the wilderness. Really, though, I doubt that.

Then it was after my experience in the military, when we camped in the jungles for long periods, that I really developed this taste. I eventually chose to leave the city and live in the country, on the edge of the wilderness - I can walk out the back any time, and there's no one there.

Perhaps the best example I know is of my partner Julie's involvement with India. She only went there because I had discovered I loved it - that was no acquired taste. I loved it the moment I set foot in the country.

But Julie at first discovered she disliked it. She was one of those who had to go through the 'threshold' experience of India. On our first trip, she begged me to take her out of that hell-hole and go on a trip to Tasmania. I refused, and there was no way she could get out herself, so she carried on - ups and downs. But it wasn't till right near the end of that three month trip, that as we were about to leave, she realised she had fallen in love with India.

Since then she has become obsessed with India, to the extent of returning to university after ten years absence, just to study India, with the hope that if she did well she would get a scholarship to do a PhD and then maybe a grant to return. And that's exactly what happened. She still reads and watches everything she can get hold of about India - it was a taste she had to travel through an extremely difficult period to acquire.

The Path of Knowledge is also like that. It is an acquired taste. The initial taste we believe we have when we begin is not about the Path at all. It is a belief we have that we have found something that will salvage our pride by the fantasy of thinking we are magical.

It is only after we have been through the ringer, that we begin to learn about what the path is really about.

There are many things we simply cannot know, cannot appreciate, without having travelled a good deal of the road. So often opportunities pass us by, which we have not acquired the receptivity to recognise. We are surrounded by gifts that we do not see because we haven't learnt to value them.

One of these is the appreciation of where we are going.

Imagine you are walking up a valley road. At the bottom of the valley, you can't possibly see where the road is headed, because the valley twists and turns. It is only after some travelling that you reach a point along the path, where a vista reveals itself of the landscape at the head of the valley.

On the Path of Knowledge, when we begin, our heads are filled with bullshit. Fantasies of who we are and where we are going. Believe me the truth is very different.

I say to people, put aside your beliefs and fantasies. Put aside your attitudes of what you like and what you dislike. Put aside your judgements of what is of value and what is not. Put aside your opinions of what is important and what isn't, of who is worthy and who is not, of who is for you and who against.

Stop all this make-believe. There are some people who believe that from the point at where they stand, right here now, the Truth is available to them. So their emotions, feelings, opinions, insights, valuations, are valid, right now. That belief is wrong.

As with acquiring a taste, you did not know you loved a taste, until you had learned, until you had passed through a journey of discovery - of initiation. So too, you do not know now, you cannot trust your assessments or perceptions now, because you have not acquired the necessary prerequisites to receive truth.

Either you are filled with the false values of others, or you have not developed the receptors in your soul, to perceive reality.

There is only one answer - stop your endless make-believe, and work on your practices.

The practices are there - we all know them. They are in books and are explained by those further along the road. By all means attempt to gain correct alignment in your mind, but don't swagger around believing you know what is what, and what you like and what is of value and what isn't. Adopt the fluid and yielding position of possibilities.

Work on removing the draining attitudes from your mind, and work on the exercises. Work on the aspiration, try to understand the longing, seek to penetrate into things, instead of closing them down, wrapping them up and stating your opinion as fact.

The headwaters of the valley stream reveals itself to us slowly, like a furtive deer, it shies away from know-alls, from arrogance and hubris.

Only after having been on the path for many years can anyone begin to acquire the appreciation of those who have travelled ahead of us, and left their cryptic marks. These are precious gifts, and we should hold them with care till we acquire the taste for them.

Acquiring taste is all about the realisation that we do not know ourselves. We do not know Spirit, nor do we know where this road leads. It is about having the humility to leave possibilities open, like containers in our soul. Admit we do not know.

So when we approach our teacher, if we have one, remember that s/he sees a world which for us lies beyond a veil of mist. Our task is to clear the fog from our eyes, from our heart, and instead of seeing mirages in that fog, and taking them for real, we humbly wait till our eyes have cleared.

m.

Offline Definitive Journey

• Tributary
    • Las Vegas Massage Therapist Kris Kelley
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 04:32:33 PM »
~

m.

Great.

No swaggering.

Ang always said my ass looked so nice as I swaggered about spewing my beliefs as fact.

Shucks...

z

"Discipline is, indeed, the supreme joy of feeling reverent awe; of watching, with your mouth open, whatever is behind those secret doors."

Offline ≈*≈

• Sprout
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 11:01:55 PM »
~

Great.

No swaggering.

Ang always said my ass looked so nice as I swaggered about spewing my beliefs as fact.

Shucks...

z

Yeah, and then I always tell him to "Adopt the fluid and yielding position of possibilities."

Nice post, Michael ... thx for bumping it up Jaharkta.  :-*
"There is a point at which everything becomes simple and there is no longer any question of choice, because all you have staked will be lost if you look back. Life's point of no return."
- Dag Hammarskjold

Offline Maiveeta

• Tadpole
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2008, 05:25:34 PM »
Acquired Taste: the taste of my weakness, then going through the steps to make them my strenghts
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 05:45:32 PM by Maiveeta »

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • High Plateau
  • Fibre to the Soul!
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 06:24:55 PM »
Acquired Taste: the taste of my weakness, then going through the steps to make them my strenghts

that's a good one