Psychic and Healer.
Light

Author Topic: Tolle’s “A New Earth”  (Read 42404 times)

Offline ≈*≈

• Sprout
Re: Tolle’s “A New Earth”
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2008, 09:39:56 AM »
curious, I had a feeling Tolle might be into advaita.

Are you reading the book?
"There is a point at which everything becomes simple and there is no longer any question of choice, because all you have staked will be lost if you look back. Life's point of no return."
- Dag Hammarskjold

Offline Definitive Journey

• Tributary
    • Las Vegas Massage Therapist Kris Kelley
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2008, 11:49:52 AM »
~

According to an ancient Sufi story, there lived a king in some Middle Eastern land who was continuously torn between happiness and despondency. The slightest thing would cause him great upset or provoke an intense reaction, and his happiness would quickly turn into disappointment and despair. A time came when the king finally got tired of himself and of life, and he began to seek a way out. He sent for a wise man who lived in his kingdom and who was reputed to be enlightened. When the wise man came, the king said to him, “I want to be like you. Can you give me something that will bring balance, serenity, and wisdom into my life? I will pay any price you ask.”

The wise man said, “I may be able to help you. But the price is so great that your entire kingdom would not be sufficient payment for it.  Therefore it will be a gift to you if you will honor it.” The king gave his assurances, and the wise man left.

A few weeks later, he returned and handed the king an ornate box carved in jade. The king opened the box and found a simple gold ring inside.  Some letters were inscribed on the ring. The inscription read: This, too, will pass. “What is the meaning of this?” asked the king. The wise man said, “Wear this ring always. Whatever happens, before you call it good or bad, touch this ring and read the inscription. That way, you will always be at peace.”

This, too, will pass. What is it about these simple words that makes them so powerful? Looking at it superficially, it would seem while those words may provide some comfort in a bad situation, they would also diminish the enjoyment of the good things in life. “Don't be too happy, because it won't last.” This seems to be what they are saying when applied in a situation that is perceived as good.

The full import of these words becomes clear when we consider them in the context of two other stories that we encountered earlier. The story of the Zen Master whose only response was always “Is that so?” shows the good that comes through inner nonresistance to events, that is to say, being at one with what happens. The story of the man whose comment was invariably a laconic “Maybe” illustrates the wisdom of nonjudgment, and the story of the ring points to the fact of impermanence which, when recognized, leads to nonattachment.  Nonresistance, nonjudgment, and nonattachment are the three aspects of true freedom and enlightened living.

Those words inscribed on the ring are not telling you that you should not enjoy the good in your life, nor are they merely meant to provide some comfort in times of suffering. They have a deeper purpose: to make you aware of the fleetingness of every situation, which is due to the transience of all forms – good or bad. When you become aware of the transience of all forms, your attachment to them lessens, and you disidentify from them to some extent. Being detached does not mean that you cannot enjoy the good that the world has to offer. In fact, you enjoy it more. Once you see and accept the transience of all things and the inevitability of change, you can enjoy the pleasures of the world while they last without fear of loss or anxiety about the future. When you are detached, you gain a higher vantage point from which to view the events in your life instead of being trapped inside them. You become like an astronaut who sees the planet Earth surrounded by the vastness of space and realizes a paradoxical truth: The earth is precious and at the same time insignificant. The recognition that This, too will pass brings detachment and with detachment another dimension comes into your lie inner space. Through detachment, as well as
nonjudgment and inner nonresistance, you gain access to that dimension.

When you are no longer totally identified with forms, consciousness – who you are becomes freed form its imprisonment in form. This freedom is the arising of inner space. It comes as a stillness, a subtle peace deep within you, even in the face of something seemingly bad. This, too, will pass.  Suddenly, there is space around the event. There is also space around the emotional highs and lows, even around pain. And above all, there is space between your thoughts. And from that space emanates a peace that is not “of this world,” because this world is form, and the peace is space. This is the peace of God.

Now you can enjoy and honor the things of this world without giving them an importance and significance they don't have. You can participate in the dance of creation and be active without attachment to outcome and without placing unreasonable demands upon the world: Fulfill me, make me happy, make me feel safe, tell me who I am. The world cannot give you those things, and when you no longer have such expectations, all selfcreated suffering comes to an end. All such suffering is due to an overvaluation of form and an unawareness of the dimension of inner space. When that dimension is present in your life, you can enjoy things, experiences, and the pleasures of the sense without losing yourself in them, without inner attachment to them, that is to say, without becoming addicted to the world.

The words This, too, will pass are pointers toward reality. In pointing to the impermanence of all forms, by implication, they are also pointing to the eternal. Only the eternal in you can recognize the impermanent as impermanent.  When the dimension of space is lost or rather not known, the things of the world assume an absolute importance, a seriousness and heaviness that in truth they do not have. When the world is not viewed from the perspective of the formless, it becomes a threatening place, and ultimately a place of despair. The Old Testament prophet must have felt this when he wrote, “All things are full of weariness. A man cannot utter it.”

Watching the owner of the company whom I work with rant and rave this morning presented the opportunity. 

Through detachment, as well as nonjudgment and inner nonresistance, some space was created.  This is a huge opportunity for myself as Duane (the owner) and I have much history. 

z

"Discipline is, indeed, the supreme joy of feeling reverent awe; of watching, with your mouth open, whatever is behind those secret doors."

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • High Plateau
  • Fibre to the Soul!
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2008, 08:09:28 AM »
Are you reading the book?

I have had a peek at it.

You really want my opinion? Probably not, but here it is anyway. From all I have seen in it so far, he looks to have the right ideas - which is not as common as one would hope, considering that it's not that difficult.

I see this book as covering a good synthesis of the main understandings gleaned from many traditions and wisdoms. I know that each tradition would likely get upset that he has take these interpretations, but as far as I can see, you won't go wrong studying his stuff.

Personally, I found Rajneesh's early books more dynamic and insightful, and also brought together the central themes of a much vaster spiritual scope that ET. But then is that necessary, to go that far? After all Rajneesh was a Professor of Philosophy if I recall correctly.

So yes, I'd say go for it. I think he has a good grasp of the material.

Will it change anyone?
Somehow I doubt it. Meaning I doubt this assertion at the beginning regarding that. I expect those who read it will be momentarily lifted a few inches off their usual seat - momentarily see a possibility they would like to aspire to, and then sink back to the old spot.

Words don't have the power.

Now Rajneesh did change people - he catapulted them out of their world, through the ideas of changing their dress and doing many wild and interesting exercises ... well at least until he started on sex, and it all went pretty mundane after that. His early stuff was very good. But if they changed, did they change to somewhere worthwhile?

I don't feel so. After considerable observations and even visits to his home centre in Pune, I have been left disappointed with the results, although I do know that certain individuals did move on to worthwhile directions. There are always some who will use wisely what they find and then keep moving.

So I'm saying, I don't feel you will find transformation in this book. But I do feel you can use this book fruitfully in your own transformation. So juice it well.

(How's that? Is that enough? Can I get back to the Yogins of Ladakh now?)

Offline ≈*≈

• Sprout
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2008, 11:01:30 AM »
There are always some who will use wisely what they find and then keep moving.

That's the beauty ... we all find different ways to spur ourselves on.  One person's garbage is another person's treasure. There is no one true Way ... but there Is only one Way for each of us.

(How's that? Is that enough? Can I get back to the Yogins of Ladakh now?)

Yes, please ... don't mean to hold you up ;)  Tell us a little about your book and how it's effecting your spiritual path.
"There is a point at which everything becomes simple and there is no longer any question of choice, because all you have staked will be lost if you look back. Life's point of no return."
- Dag Hammarskjold

Offline ≈*≈

• Sprout
Re: Tolle’s “A New Earth” - Recognizing Inner Space
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2008, 11:34:11 AM »
The more I tap into this "inner space", the longer I have held it.  It then it becomes a significant force in everything I experience.  It produces a very calming effect as well as heightened awareness.  I sense a feeling of doing things more "appropriately" ... not in a measure of "right" or "wrong", but as I said ... "appropriately".  I even find myself speaking this way.  There is no negative or positive "reaction".  Just a sense of presence.

RECOGNIZING INNER SPACE (pg. 141-143)
"Space between thoughts is probably already arising sporadically in
your life, and you may not even know it. A consciousness mesmerized by
experiences and conditioned to identify exclusively with form, that is to say,
object consciousness, finds it at first almost impossible to become aware of
space. This ultimately mean that you cannot become aware of yourself,
because you are always aware of something else. You are continuously
distracted by form. Even when you seem to be aware of yourself, you have
made yourself into an object, a thought form, and so what you are aware of is
a thought, not yourself.

When you hear of inner space, you may start seeking it, and because
you are seeking it as if you were looking for an object or for an experience,
you cannot find it. This is the dilemma of all those who are seeking spiritual
realization or enlightenment. Hence, Jesus said, “The kingdom of God is not
coming with signs to be observed; nor will they say, 'Lo, here it is!' or
'There!' for behold, the kingdom of God is in the midst of you.”

If you are not spending all of your waking life in discontent, worry,
anxiety, depression, despair, or consumed by other negative states; if you are
able to enjoy simple things like listening to he sound of the rain or the wind;
if you can see the beauty of clouds moving across the sky or be alone at
times without  feeling lonely or needing the mental  stimulus of
entertainment; if you find yourself treating a complete stranger with heartfelt
kindness without wanting anything from him or her... it means that a space
has opened up, no matter how briefly, in the otherwise incessant stream of
thinking that is the human mind. When this happens there is a sense of well-
being, of alive peace, even though it may be subtle. The intensity will vary
from a perhaps barely noticeable background sense of contentment to what
the ancient sages of India called ananda – the bliss of Being. Because you
have been conditioned to pay attention only to form, you are probably not
aware of it except indirectly. For example, there is a common element in the
ability to see beauty, to appreciate simple things, to enjoy your own
company, or to relate to other people with loving kindness. This common
element is a sense of contentment, peace, and aliveness that is the invisible
background without which these experiences would not be possible.

Whenever there is beauty, kindness, the recognition of the goodness of
simple things in your life, look for the background to that experience within
yourself. But don't look for it as if you were looking for something. You
cannot pin it down and say, “Now I have it,” or grasp it mentally and define
it in some way. It is like the cloudless sky. It has no form. It is space; it is
stillness, the sweetness of Being and infinitely more than these words, which
are only pointers. When you are able to sense it directly within yourself, it
deepens. So when you appreciate something simple – a sound, a sight, a
touch – when you see beauty, when you feel loving kindness toward another,
sense the inner spaciousness that is the source and background to that
experience.

Many poets and sages throughout the ages have observed that true
happiness – I call it the joy of Being – is found in simple, seemingly
unremarkable things. Most people, in their restless search for something
significant to happen to them, continuously miss the insignificant, which
may not be insignificant at all. The philosopher Nietzsche, in a rare moment
of deep stillness, rote, “For happiness, how little suffices for happiness!....
the least ting precisely, the gentlest thing, the lightest thing, a lizard's
rustling, a breath, a wisk, an eye glance – little maketh up the best happiness.
Be still.”

Why is it the “least thing” that makes up “the best happiness”?
Because true happiness is not caused by the thing or event, although this is
how it first appears. The thing or event is so subtle, so unobtrusive, that it
takes up only a small part of your consciousness – and the rest is inner space,
consciousness itself unobstructed by form. Inner space consciousness and
who you are in your essence are one and the same. In other words, the form
of little things leaves room for inner space. And it is from inner space, the
unconditioned consciousness itself, that true happiness, the joy of Being,
emanates. To be aware of little, quiet things, however, you need to be quiet
inside. A high degree of alertness is required. Be still. Look. Listen. Be
present.

Here is anther way of finding inner space: Become conscious of being
conscious. Say or think “I Am” and add nothing to it. Be aware of the
stillness that follows the I Am. Sense your presence, the naked, unveiled,
unclothed beingness. It is untouched by young or old, rich or poor, good or
bad, or any other attributes. It is the spacious womb of all creation, all form."

- Dag Hammarskjold

Offline ≈*≈

• Sprout
Re: Tolle’s “A New Earth” - Recognizing Inner Silence
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2008, 11:43:10 AM »
CAN YOU HEAR THE MOUNTAIN STREAM? (pg. 143)
"A Zen Master was walking in silence with one of his disciples along a
mountain trail. When they came to an ancient cedar tree, they sat down
under it for a simple meal of some rice and vegetables. After the meal, the
disciple, a young monk who had not yet found the key to the mystery of Zen,
broke the silence by asking the Master, “Master, how do I enter Zen?”

He was, of course, inquiring how to enter the state of consciousness
which is Zen.

The Master remained silent. Almost five minutes passed while the
disciple anxiously waited for an answer. He was about to ask another
question when the Master suddenly spoke. “Do you hear the sound of that
mountain stream?”

The disciple had not been aware of any mountain stream. He had been
too busy thinking about the meaning of Zen. Now as he began to listen for
the sound, his noisy mind subsided. At first he heard nothing. Then, his
thinking gave way to heightened alertness, and suddenly he did hear the
hardly perceptible murmur of a small stream in the far distance.

“Yes, I can hear it now,” he said.

The master raised his finger and, with a look in his eyes that in some
way was both fierce and gentle, said, “Enter Zen from there.”

The disciple was stunned. It was his first satori – a flash of
enlightenment. He knew what Zen was without knowing what it was that he
knew!

They continued on their journey in silence. The disciple was amazed
at the aliveness of the world around him. He experienced everything as if for
the first time. Gradually, however, he stated thinking again. The alert
stillness became covered up again by mental noise, and before long he had
another question. “Master,” he said, “I have been thinking. What would you
have said if I hadn't been able to hear the mountain stream?” The master
stopped, looked at him, raised his finger and said, “Enter Zen from there.”

- Dag Hammarskjold

Offline ≈*≈

• Sprout
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2008, 11:45:04 AM »
“Truth is one, paths are many.” ~ Siri Swami Satchidananda
- Dag Hammarskjold

Offline ≈*≈

• Sprout
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2008, 11:50:08 AM »
"There's no where you can be that isn't where you're meant to be." --- not really a quote. It's a lyric from All You Need is Love, The Beatles

Performed in the final scene in the movie, "Across the Universe".  A movie we watched last week.  We didn't really know what we were putting on, and found it surprisingly good for a movie musical :)
- Dag Hammarskjold

• Tributary
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2008, 08:51:19 PM »

"There's no where you can be that isn't where you're meant to be." --- not really a quote. It's a lyric from All You Need is Love, The Beatles

Performed in the final scene in the movie, "Across the Universe".  A movie we watched last week.  We didn't really know what we were putting on, and found it surprisingly good for a movie musical :)

Yes, I enjoyed it!

z

"Discipline is, indeed, the supreme joy of feeling reverent awe; of watching, with your mouth open, whatever is behind those secret doors."

• Tributary
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2008, 08:56:42 PM »
~

"Awakened doing is the alignment of your outer purpose - what you do – with your inner purpose – awakening and staying awake. Through awakened doing, you become one with the outgoing purpose of the universe.  Consciousness flows through you into this world. It flows into your thoughts and inspires them. It flows into what you do and guides and empowers it.

Not what you do, but how you do what you do determines whether you are fulfilling your destiny. And how you do what you do is determined by your state of consciousness.

A reversal of your priorities comes about when the main purpose for doing what you do becomes the doing itself, or rather, the current of consciousness that flows into what you do. That current of consciousness is what determines quality. Another way of putting it: In any situation and in whatever you do, your state of consciousness is the primary factor; the situation and what you do is secondary. “Future” success is dependent upon and inseparable from the consciousness out of which the actions emanate.  That can be either the reactive force of the ego or the alert attention of awakened consciousness. All truly successful action comes out of that field of alert attention, rather than from ego and conditioned, unconscious thinking."

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • High Plateau
  • Fibre to the Soul!
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2008, 10:33:19 AM »
well, couldn't have said it better myself.

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • High Plateau
  • Fibre to the Soul!
Re: Tolle’s “A New Earth” - Recognizing Inner Space
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2008, 05:47:45 AM »
The more I tap into this "inner space", the longer I have held it.  It then it becomes a significant force in everything I experience.  It produces a very calming effect as well as heightened awareness.  I sense a feeling of doing things more "appropriately" ... not in a measure of "right" or "wrong", but as I said ... "appropriately".  I even find myself speaking this way.  There is no negative or positive "reaction".  Just a sense of presence.

RECOGNIZING INNER SPACE (pg. 141-143)
"Space between thoughts is probably already arising sporadically in
your life, and you may not even know it....

That is a good explanation by ET. I especially like the part that simple pleasures play in this process - he explained that well.

But knowing and doing... there lies the real skill.

I am of the view that the momentum and power of the 'world' we live in should never be underestimated. Like how young people distinguish themselves vehemently from their parents, but invariable revert to carbon copies of them as they age.

The first realisation is to know there is another option in life. The second is to realise that option - by which I mean gaining a glimpse. I call this the 'Tree Realisation'. Climbing a tall tree and seeing out above the canopy. But the journey has still to be made by foot - step by step. A scout returning to the whole army describing the landscape over the mountains is really inspiring, but alas, the whole army is a mighty thing to move.

The next realisation is to know we are in a battle to the death with the entire force of our lives, and that we will lose.

Only after people have had that realisation, the Realisation of Despair, are they worthy warriors.

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • High Plateau
  • Fibre to the Soul!
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2008, 06:02:27 AM »
Some letters were inscribed on the ring. The inscription read: This, too, will pass. “What is the meaning of this?” asked the king. The wise man said, “Wear this ring always. Whatever happens, before you call it good or bad, touch this ring and read the inscription. That way, you will always be at peace.”

This story is actually based on fact. It is about a certain emperor, whose name slips my mind just now, but he did in fact get tossed out of his kingdom, lived in penury and finally regained his kingdom. The sufi tale of the ring comes from the sufi lineage, and may or may not be true, but it is nonetheless true as a teaching story.

I love these stories and used to feed off them so much in my youth, until one day I realised they had tricked me into following a path that led only to difficulties, while all my contemporaries went off to make money and acquire possessions and positions. All I had to show for my idiocy in listening and taking for real these stories, was my wealth of perception.

No superannuation, not yacht, no health insurance. Those story writers I could see laughing at me - "You didn't believe all that stuff did you?" they laughed... all the way to their bank.

Oh well, it's too late now - what's done is done. I have my wealth and they have theirs - who knows which is better?

Offline ≈*≈

• Sprout
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2008, 09:24:57 PM »

The next realisation is to know we are in a battle to the death with the entire force of our lives, and that we will lose.

Only after people have had that realisation, the Realisation of Despair, are they worthy warriors.

I love these stories and used to feed off them so much in my youth, until one day I realised they had tricked me into following a path that led only to difficulties, while all my contemporaries went off to make money and acquire possessions and positions. All I had to show for my idiocy in listening and taking for real these stories, was my wealth of perception.

No superannuation, not yacht, no health insurance. Those story writers I could see laughing at me - "You didn't believe all that stuff did you?" they laughed... all the way to their bank.

Oh well, it's too late now - what's done is done. I have my wealth and they have theirs - who knows which is better?

As I picked up my son from school yesterday (he was in the art room helping the art teacher ... he usually doesn't frequent the art room). I was waiting for him to gather his things and turned around in the courtyard, noticing the inscriptions on the adobe wall up above.  Your words just reminded me of them.

"Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the Kingdom of heaven"
Matthew 5:3

and....

"Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth"
Matthew 5:5

- Dag Hammarskjold

Offline ≈*≈

• Sprout
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2008, 09:29:35 PM »

- Dag Hammarskjold