Author Topic: Sex  (Read 6788 times)

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • High Plateau
  • Fibre to the Soul!
Sex
« on: August 22, 2009, 05:10:02 AM »
What is the role of sex on this Path?

Should we follow the Ancients, and say 'No"?

Or should we follow the Moderns and say "Yes!"?

Is sex healthy or debilitating?

Does sex drain power or enhance it?

Are we influenced by the media in our opinions?

Offline Endless~Knot

• Storm
Re: Sex
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 07:47:13 PM »

You must be trying to get this forum active again, lol, tossing up a topic like this.

Sex is tricky. It can be all the above. It can both drain power or enhance it. Yes, media does certainly affect it, as they use it to get our 'attention,' and know it works. They saturate everything they can with sexual imagery to sell products, movie tickets, and the like. But thats nothing I need to say about it. I do think its advisable, however, to not take the 'lure' they do when they do this, however, and realize that they're doing this.

Its hard to say who to follow, yes or no. If you make a commmitment to be a monk, then its no. If you're a married person, you made a commitment to say 'yes' on a healthy basis. There's nothing wrong with sex, its a matter of what you do with it, and ones attitude about it. Allowing to say, to be the crux of your whole existence, allowing it to rule your life, can be harmful though.
“Absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and add what is uniquely your own.” - Bruce Lee

Offline daphne

• Storm
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 03:06:11 PM »
When I first read a Treatise on White Magic, one of the aims of the Treatise was that the desire for sex would be redirected away from sex. Sex was seen as physical and not spiritual enough. Frankly, I was rather upset, and pissed off that spiritual advancement was linked to no sex! Today, I take a more enlightened (and less pissed-off) view  ;) 
Sex or no sex is purely personal and depends on the path one follows. All roads have a chance of heading outwards. For those that believe sex will drain power, well.. then it will. For those that don't believe that; it won't. Same goes for those who believe it will enhance power.
Sex is part of physical existence for those that desire it. It is also the only way that I know of that Humanity can reproduce itself and also evolve physically. Whether physical evolution is the direction, is another thing.
Since we all follow slightly different paths anyway... who knows whether the ancients or the moderns are right? Maybe the ancients who started the 'no sex' business had psychological issues about sex? And maybe the moderns simply enjoy sex and have to find a justification for doing so!   :D

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Tributary
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 04:01:43 PM »

I can think of hardly any other experience which so perfectly contains the opportunity to learn and observe the complex consequences of our actions. And I'm not speaking of the obvious ones about which our mothers told us, pregnancy and disease.  I'm speaking of connection and disconnection, attachment and detachment, awareness and blindness, the physical and the rising from it. Is it a gift to Spirit -- is it a gift to and from "god"? Is energy generated, even with only one "aware" partner, which amounts to an offering? Can you see the vortex above the bed? Have the angels watched? In my travels, I've seen the latter things happen. It is not merely some animalistic ritual.

That being said, though, I swore it off nearly a decade ago. This was a huge departure from my historic norm. I had a multitude of reasons -- none of which were that I was "following" anyone, be they Ancient or Modern. Even if I forced myself now, to change those reasons, I cannot imagine for the life of me returning to it in the physical. It has become completely foreign to me.

Is this the way all should work the "path"? No -- it's a completely individual decision. I will tell you that I experience a peace of mind which was impossible while I was active. It is a distraction in the extreme.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 02:47:27 PM by Myr »

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • High Plateau
  • Fibre to the Soul!
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 08:55:54 AM »
I have always used a distinction in my consideration of this question - the difference between 'containment' and 'repression'.

I also agree with Edgar Cayce, that if you don't really comprehend the reason for sexual restraint, then it can be counter-productive. I say that, because I have observed it in so many other 'acquisitional' questions. When you feel a powerful desire for something that you need to save your money for, then to forego the purchase of so much that all around you are acquiring, is relatively easy, and doesn't create more repressive anxiety than you can handle. Because you have such a strong image before you of why you are saving your pennies.

You will notice this with those who love travelling. They will live willingly and happily on the most frugal budgets, just so they can afford another overseas trip. Compare that to the parent who denies their child some desire, saying they are doing it for the child's good. Sure they probably are right, but just watch the intensity of anger and frustration in the child.

The difficulty with sex, is that the modern 'wise-one', as well as the new psychological health gurus, point out that sex has great physical and emotional benefits.

I admit to being suspicious that sex is the big attention grabber in the new 'attention economy'. They have an ulterior motive.

Nonetheless, it is fairly obvious that guilt and repression of sexuality creates a huge barrier to 'wholeness' and personal freedom.

And there is much more behind this issue...

Offline Endless~Knot

• Storm
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 11:33:26 PM »
I find it amazing this thread only had four posts and prior to me writing this, just now, I found it had 286 reads.

People I know you're out there reading, dropping by, some of you regularly, looking to see what is going to be said next.

Restless Soma has had its share of quiet times, and busy times. Its had its share of arguments, then it goes down for awhile, for rest. Peaks and valleys, dips and dives.

However its readers continue to be faithful for some reason. I suspect from all over the world, they read, looking for knowledge, in various ways.

There's a lot of forums out there, spiritual forums, some are very active, and others peak then dive and never return. Restless Soma is unique. She is like the Phoenix. She rises, burns down, then rises up again, but never truly dies.

Thats why folks keep coming back, and reading this place.

So, if you're brave warriors, sign up for accounts then. There's plenty to discuss among weary travelers. This road is long and the journey was never said to be an easy trip.

Or we could allow more reads to occur to the sex thread by others, who silently read this place, waiting for the next post of info. Its up to you what you want to make of this place.

Thanks for stopping by.
“Absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and add what is uniquely your own.” - Bruce Lee

Offline Butterfly Lightning

• Tadpole
    • Amber Bow
Re: Sex Vibrations - Deerskin Bow
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 02:43:39 PM »
I can think of hardly any other experience which so perfectly contains the opportunity to learn and observe the complex consequences of our actions. And I'm not speaking of the obvious ones about which our mothers told us, pregnancy and disease.  I'm speaking of connection and disconnection, attachment and detachment, awareness and blindness, the physical and the rising from it. Is it a gift to Spirit -- is it a gift to and from "god"? Is energy generated, even with only one "aware" partner, which amounts to an offering? Can you see the vortex above the bed? Have the angels watched? In my travels, I've seen the latter things happen. It is not merely some animalistic ritual.

Hmm, yes I like this - You have made me think of/ feel 2 things > 1) Makes something inside me resonate and say *sex perceives* & 2) I wonder if it is an offering. If so, what to...

Thought currents responding to point 2:

...To the Mother Earth? I don't think it is, although she seems to be the organic governance.
To the elements?
Not sure, perhaps but do we ever make a connection where our sex act actually gives to fire or any of the others?
To the moment? > Let's hope so, that attention is on the job and one is not in a mental performance, projecting and unconcerned of the apparent connention of now. Let's hope no one is observing the wall and making comments on the pleasant pattern of the wallpaper.
To God...? I don't want to answer or ponder, it seems too laced with Religion & would create potential for a different topic and focal point

To our Spirit?

...or is it an offering from the above rather than to?

That being said, though, I swore it off nearly a decade ago. This was a huge departure from my historic norm. I had a multitude of reasons -- none of which were that I was "following" anyone, be they Ancient or Modern. Even if I forced myself now, to change those reasons, I cannot imagine for the life of me returning to it in the physical. It has become completely foreign to me.

Is this the way all should work the "path"? No -- it's a completely individual decision. I will tell you that I experience a peace of mind which was impossible while I was active. It is a distraction in the extreme.

And what of sacrifice? The gift of giving, and having given up? Is that an offering?

« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 05:03:36 PM by Butterfly Lightning »

• Tadpole
    • Amber Bow
Re: Sex Energy - Hidden Fox
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 02:54:02 PM »
linked to no sex! Today, I take a more enlightened (and less pissed-off) view  ;) 
Sex or no sex is purely personal and depends on the path one follows. All roads have a chance of heading outwards. For those that believe sex will drain power, well.. then it will. For those that don't believe that; it won't. Same goes for those who believe it will enhance power.

I don't see how that works. As far as I can see, something either has an energetical effect or it doesn't, whether that is an affect on our projected-self or a movement in our luminous-self.
If 2 people together have sex and one beleives it lessens the amount of energy or personal power we have, and the other doesn't > they can't both be right because of what they believe

Either it does or it doesn't

Sorry no, I don't know the answer
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 04:22:08 PM by Butterfly Lightning »

• Tadpole
    • Amber Bow
Re: Tricky Sex - Coyote Tail
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 02:58:28 PM »

Sex is tricky. It can be all the above. It can both drain power or enhance it. Yes, media does certainly affect it, as they use it to get our 'attention,' and know it works. They saturate everything they can with sexual imagery to sell products, movie tickets, and the like. But thats nothing I need to say about it. I do think its advisable, however, to not take the 'lure' they do when they do this, however, and realize that they're doing this.

Its hard to say who to follow, yes or no. If you make a commmitment to be a monk, then its no. If you're a married person, you made a commitment to say 'yes' on a healthy basis. There's nothing wrong with sex, its a matter of what you do with it, and ones attitude about it. Allowing to say, to be the crux of your whole existence, allowing it to rule your life, can be harmful though.

How can it be all of the above?

Sounds like you are generalising, making an overview > your attention, from my interpretation, seems to be is brushing over the surface of each note in the harp of the original post - but done in a way like throwing leaves up in the air. You know, like how someone repeats a topic to a group who weren't listening or who couldn't hear the teacher state the original statement

Just how it comes across and how interpret it

What do you really think about sex?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 04:22:53 PM by Butterfly Lightning »

• Tadpole
    • Amber Bow
Re: Unfolding Sex - Crow Feathers
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 03:04:20 PM »
To approach these answers honestly ...

Depends what path you are on. There may in a way only be one path, but as pointed out below these differ. So it will always bring us back to our point of reference, again what is this for each of us. Our expereince, what we've read and decided to agree with, our beleifs (which is made up of the 1st 2)?

Yes - if the eagle has pointed out to us to take this on and we have commited to it sure, why not. If we can manage to 1) by-pass the command to reproduce, and 2) get through a week without wanting to climax

Yes - if the eagle has pointed out to us to take this on and we have commited to it sure, why not. But then there is a way of doing so, are we saying yes to elongate our desires - if so this may stunt our path to evolve

Hmm, ask the doctors... Maybe healthy for the body (I'm guessing) yet not if done all day. Debilitating - yes maybe, but if I'm honest I don't know what the word means

I'd say drain. I would interpet that we use up an amount of our personal power from the act. I also think Dreaming Awareness is closely linked to it so think the act of having sex affects that living awareness and creates integration points with others

Yes we are...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 04:23:28 PM by Butterfly Lightning »

breeze

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 05:19:30 PM »

Here is the Chinese view on many of these questions.  I tend to agree with them:

When sexual energy becomes activated or aroused, you feel energized and alert, your senses are heightened and stamina increases. Qi Gong texts often recommend abstaining from sexual activity for the first 100 days of Qi Gong practice. This saving of the sexual energy will result in a faster development of the Qi Gong practice. However, the real intent of this advice is to learn to control your sexual energy.

While the control of sexual energy applies to both men and women, it is men who tend to suffer the most from poor sexual practices. The ejaculation by men during orgasm creates a significant loss of a man’s vital essences, called Jing.

M man of weaker health should conserve his sexual energy more than a healthy individual. Awareness of your state of health can determine how frequently you should release this sexual essence. If you are feeling extremely fatigued or experiencing headaches after ejaculation, you may be losing too much sexual essence for your current state of health. The depletion of essence can result in premature aging, chronic disease, and shortened life span.

Woman also can lose their energy from sex, but it is childbirth that causes the greatest loss of essence. This is especially true in the case of a woman who has children too close in succession, and does not allow the proper amount of time to recover between pregnancies.

Further instruction on how to guide sexual energy can be found at the link below

(out of the genitals and  along the spine,  and then eventually to the top of the spine and into your brain   -- down your front centerline, along the Ren meridian,  into the Dan Tian just below your naval, where it can be stored. Thhis is how you can gradually build a large store of energy that enhances your health)

http://www.altmd.com/Articles/Sexual-Qi-Gong
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 06:31:33 AM by breeze »

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Tributary
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 10:37:02 AM »

Does one wish to go to sleep, or is one enervated by it?

How many hours did I spend laying still, listening to my partner sleeping? This could be gender-related ... or situation-related. In the end, perhaps, it might all get sifted through the ego. In other words, for those male beings (not all of them, of course) who see sex as some quantifiable triumph, surely in their perception their power is enhanced. Though we could perhaps all question the definition of "power" here, in their view and in our own.

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Tributary
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 10:49:03 AM »
When I say that I have more peace of mind without it, the "energy" aspect is exactly to what I'm referring. But here, one cannot look to the sex-act alone. It's about everything before and after .. the preparation, the right ambience, the right mood, the give-and-take, the amount of homage given to "love" in the thing, the connection between the 2, the relationship, all of the little astral cords which form between the engagers. And ... the karma which gets created between the 2.

In order to cultivate this in a positive way, much attention is required!

• Tadpole
    • Amber Bow
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 06:04:49 AM »
The Maiden

Love is the freedom of the female as she sits as the incarnate Power of Awareness. When she combines the inner and outward flow of the free love towards her awareness she kindles her glow. As she breezes through the male seeds of awareness that descend at her Dawn she gazes at all the potential manifestation and starts a process of introspection about what she wants to make real with the freedom.