Author Topic: Japanese Quake and Pacific Tsunami  (Read 1061 times)

Offline Taimyr

• Rishi
    • My photos
Re: Japanese Quake and Pacific Tsunami
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2011, 04:32:03 AM »
I said to my friend that she should leave Tokyo just in case, but looks like shes not going to do that. She was studing there, final exams already done, now she is just waiting for the final ceremony. She is supposed to come back in April.

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2011, 05:17:42 AM »
Wow ... she should fly home today.
Not here, not there, but everywhere - always right before your eyes.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2011, 05:27:39 AM »
Even on the outskirts of the thing, relief and rescue are being held back. Decontamination required for those on the outskirts ... what must this mean for those near the heart of it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110315/ap_on_re_us/us_us_japan

This kills me:

".....While he said there was no danger to the public, the commander recommended military personnel and their families at Yokosuka and Naval Air Facility Atsugi limit their outdoor activities and seal ventilation systems at their homes as much as possible....."   (But there's no danger to the public? Please.)
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2011, 05:46:10 AM »
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Jahn

Re: It is about survival of Tokyo and Japan now
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2011, 06:36:26 AM »
This could be the beginning of a worst kind of nightmare:

Yes.

Builder

Re: It is about survival of Tokyo and Japan now
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2011, 03:52:42 PM »
The plant is apparently getting too 'hot' (radioactive) to work in. Even so, the only way to deal with the events is at the spot. That's how they managed to build a sarcophagus around a broken reactor at Chernobyl.

Yukio Edano, the chief cabinet secretary, held a brief conference about the nuclear situation, these are the key points.

- An appeal not to panic buy fuel especially in areas not affected by the quake, they think the containment vessel on Reactor No3 has been damaged

- Radioaction levels have fluctuated throughout the day, at one point all staff were evacuated for safety due to a dramtic increase in radiation at the front gate.

- Tempratures are rising in reactors number 5/6 and in the spent fuel rod tank in reactor no 4.

- They are considering the option of spraying water onto the heating reactors from the air.There are issues getting water into Reactor numbe 4 containment pool.

Builder

Chernobyl
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2011, 04:04:37 PM »
Broken reactor is at the bottom of the ruins of the building:

Sarcophagus as it looks now:

Men worked in 3-5 minute shifts to build it. Helicopters that flew only once over the broken reactor and dropped boric acid in there had to be thrown away immediately.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 04:27:53 PM by Builder »

Builder

« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2011, 10:43:54 PM »
Japanese tried to use army helicopters for dropping water on reactors, but suspended operations due to high levels of radiation over the power plant.

Many police officers have volunteered to work on the power plant in order to save their country.

Anonymous brave men
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 11:55:29 PM by Builder »

Offline Taimyr

• Rishi
    • My photos
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2011, 01:03:07 AM »

Offline Taimyr

• Rishi
    • My photos
Re: Radiation
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2011, 05:34:33 AM »
Now when I start to think about it, by childhoods disease (myasthenia gravis) could have been caused by radiation. Estonia was also afected by Chernobyl catasthrophe somewhat. I did a little reasearch on the internet and it seems pretty likely.

It is an autoimmune disease. I found and article where infants tyhmus gland were radiated on purpose, to stop it from enlargening - which was actually normal as much as i understandd, but the doctors didn't know it back then). These children had autoimmune diseases later. Also there was one article about Belarus and increased cases of myasthenia gravis in that area after Chernobyl.

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2011, 07:34:46 AM »
Certainly possible - I recall they detected radiation effects as far as France after Cher went up (or down, as the case may be).

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2011, 07:36:10 AM »
From what I hear on this morning's news, the Japs have thrown up their hands mostly, and are putting the problem in God's hands.

Builder

« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2011, 07:52:09 AM »
From what I hear on this morning's news, the Japs have thrown up their hands mostly, and are putting the problem in God's hands.

Yes, the situation seems increasingly out of their hands.

Al-Jazeera 4:57am

More on that "US nuclear chair" - who has now been named as Gregory Jaczko, the chief of the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission, currently giving a report to Congress.

He says all the water has gone from the spent fuel pools at reactor No.4 in Fukushima No.1 facility, Japan's most troubled nuclear plant. This means there is nothing to stop the fuel rods from getting hotter and ultimately melting down.

The outer shell of the rods could also ignite, with enough force to propel the radioactive fuel inside over a wide area, he says.

Gregory Jaczko did not say how the information was obtained, but the NRC and US Department of Energy both have staff on site at the Fukushima complex of six reactors.

He says officials believe radiation levels are extremely high, and that could affect workers' ability to stop temperatures from escalating.

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2011, 07:55:45 AM »
I hope they're widening their evacuation zones/efforts. Or perhaps that is just wishful thinking.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2011, 08:02:09 AM »
They don't know what to do, and I gather they don't what will happen.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk