Author Topic: How to travel with a little money?  (Read 146 times)

Offline Nick

• Rishi
  • Life Branches.
How to travel with a little money?
« on: January 02, 2007, 02:56:35 AM »
When I was in Honduras I met people who somehow managed to travel around with almost no cash in their pockets. I've always been reluctant to try as I don't know were to start or what to do when my supply of dough runs out. I asked once and most of them said they would just work odd jobs here and there. One guy said he would do cleaning on a boat to get over seas and then find whatever job he could get. Me I have trouble finding work in my own country. Another person I met said she traveled around with a band of musicians. None of them were famous or anything they just performed on the streets and for whom ever would hire them. Not sure I know how to do this type of thing. Anyone have any ideas on how this done?
"As long as we confuse the myriad forms of the divine lila with reality, without perceiving the unity of Brahman underlying all these forms, we are under the spell of maya..."
 -Fritjof Capra, The Tao of Physics: An Exploration of the Parallels between Modern Physics and Eastern Mysticism

Taimi

Re: How to travel with a little money?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 03:12:02 AM »
I think you can't predefine what you are going to do when you are out there. then you just have to manage and you will do what ever that seems applicable. that's probably the reason why most people never actually carry out this kind of ideas for traveling, they are just afraid what would happen, how they woul manage.

i know somoene (female) who lived in a cave for few months alone. don't know the details tho, probably got food from shops, where they throw away food.

Offline Nick

• Rishi
  • Life Branches.
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 05:12:18 AM »
Interesting. I tryed it when I first left home at 18. But I tryed it in my own country to see how I would fair. The problem was part fear and part just having never had experience living on my own. I stayed homeless for a long time, not because I wanted to but I had no idea how to survive in the world. I was grossly unprepared. Now I'm much more anxious about traveling with only a little bit of cash as this first experience was not pretty. I ended up very unhealthy.
Now I know more about surviving in the world, but I'm still not confident enough in my knowledge to be ready to go out and try again. This time I would want to go to another country and I still have trouble getting and keeping a job in this one. It is one thing to ruff it and another to not have food to eat for days. 
"As long as we confuse the myriad forms of the divine lila with reality, without perceiving the unity of Brahman underlying all these forms, we are under the spell of maya..."
 -Fritjof Capra, The Tao of Physics: An Exploration of the Parallels between Modern Physics and Eastern Mysticism

Taimi

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 06:04:36 PM »
Actually i suppose it is good to do some preparations, i just meant that it's not possible to determine exactly what you will do and what happens. I imagined something temporary, you work a while, then travel on. But i guess you want something more permanent.

niamhspark

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 07:10:29 PM »
When I was in Honduras I met people who somehow managed to travel around with almost no cash in their pockets. I've always been reluctant to try as I don't know were to start or what to do when my supply of dough runs out. I asked once and most of them said they would just work odd jobs here and there. One guy said he would do cleaning on a boat to get over seas and then find whatever job he could get. Me I have trouble finding work in my own country. Another person I met said she traveled around with a band of musicians. None of them were famous or anything they just performed on the streets and for whom ever would hire them. Not sure I know how to do this type of thing. Anyone have any ideas on how this done?

Ian, are you looking for making a living that offers opportunity for you to travel? I'm wondering as you've been pondering future, and career - if you could choose what to do with your life, regardless of money, opportunity, or even survival - what would you choose to do?

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 09:56:53 PM »
Ellen's right Ian. there's too much pie-in-the-sky about your thoughts. You are projecting for all the wrong reasons - start with your heart. Look into your life and see what you REALLY desire from this magical moment you have been allowed, your life.

You will be shunted by pragmatism, but in this short space, see through to your heart's choice, instead of the fantasy of your mind. (Tho in the end both have value)

And remember, anything worthwhile requires long work - there are no easy solutions. you will have to set your compass, and work in the mines. But if your heart is with you, you will strike through.

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
  • Let us dance of freedom~
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 10:45:00 PM »
But if your heart is with you, you will strike through.
Without constant complete silence meditation - samadi - we lose ourselves in the game.  MM

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk