Author Topic: Traveling India (Puri)  (Read 150 times)

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
  • Let us dance of freedom~
Traveling India (Puri)
« on: January 12, 2007, 11:24:21 PM »
I'm in Puri now, in an old maharajah's place - a huge room with marble floors. This is a very laid back place indeed, so may be able to catch up soon.

m

Without constant complete silence meditation - samadi - we lose ourselves in the game.  MM

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
Re: Traveling India (Puri)
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 11:29:33 PM »

Without constant complete silence meditation - samadi - we lose ourselves in the game.  MM

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 11:45:54 PM »

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 11:50:30 PM »

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 11:56:51 PM »

the temple of lord jagannath in puri is one of the holiest places in india. inside the temple are kept the unfinished, coloreful and smiling statues of jagannath (right), his elder brother balabhadra (left) and their younger sister subhadra (middle). apart from their peculiar form, they are special among major hindu gods in that they are made of perishable wood, instead of the usual stone or metal.

lord jagganath is considered as one of the ten avatars (incarnations) of vishnu, and usually identified with krishna (who is also dark-skined, indicating a south indian origin). his brother balabhadra is identified with balarama, krishna's brother.

non-hindus are not allowed inside the temple, and can only get a view from the roof of a public library near the main entrance. this also gives a nice view of the busy market outside the temple, where images of the jagganath family and other religious souvenirs are sold.

the images of jagganath, balabhadra and subhadra can be seen by people of all castes, including casteless and non-hindus, only during the yearly car festival, when they are carried in the streets to spend some days in another temple. on this occation, jagannath's car travels more slowly, so that he can "meet the people".

the stories about lord jagganath's origins, and the fact that the rituals of the car festival are conducted by descendants of tribal people settled in puri, may indicate a possible tribal origin. it is sometimes suggested that the wooden statues are related to the tree worship of the tribes, mentioned in a previous page, villages. see also the goddess tree shrine in a bhubaneshwar temple on a later page.

the wooden bodies of the three gods are replaced every few years (around 12-14), and a special ritual is perfomed to pass the godhead spirit from the old bodies to the new ones. the process is compared to the migration of souls from one body to another in the hindu belief of rebirth after death. the old "lifeless" bodies are burned, just like humans.

cremation grounds for the dead in puri

as his smiling, childish-like appearance suggests, lord jagannath is a benign and friendly god. it is said of him that "he has no legs, but he comes to visit us during the car festival; he has no arms, but he hugs us; he has no eyes, but he looks on our needs; he has no ears, but he hears our prayers".

it is interesting to compare this to the narrow-minded monotheistic contempt of man-made idols in the bible: "their idols [are] silver and gold, the work of men's hands... eyes have they, but they see not. they have ears, but they hear not... they have hands, but they handle not. feet have they, but they walk not" (psalms 115: 4-7).

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 12:47:19 AM »
And for the equally culture ignorant with me! LOL

I'm in Puri now, in an old maharajah's place - a huge room with marble floors. This is a very laid back place indeed, so may be able to catch up soon.

m

The word Mahārāja (also spelled maharajah) is Sanskrit for "great" or "high king" (a karmadharaya from mahā "great" and rājan "king"). Due to Sanskrit's major influence on the vocabulary of most languages in India, the term 'maharaja' is common to many modern languages, such as Bengali, Hindi, Gujrati, etc. Its use is primarily for Hindu potentates (ruler or sovereign). The female equivalent to Maharaja is Maharani (or Maharanee), a title used either by the wife of a Mahārāja or, in the few states where that was allowed, by a woman ruling in her own right. In Hindi, the suffix 'a' is silent so it is pronounced Maharaj.

nichi

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 06:22:00 AM »
Thanks for these pictures, Jen!

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 06:31:42 AM »
You're very welcome!

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2007, 09:39:51 PM »
Yes, that's the place. Puri has 3 types of visitors - Hindu pilgrims (this is one of the three holiest places in India), Indian holiday makers, and western travellers. The three almost never meet. Yesterday evening we visited the Indian holidayers area - was absolutely incredible, the lights and shops went on and on forever in a sea of people, food stalls, fabric shops (I bought a new lungi, and Julie a new dress in the local style).

We stumbled across the cremation ground in the middle of everything last night - plumes of smoke with bodies burning amongst cows. Was quite a strong place.

The locals are very friendly, which Julie attributes to this being a holy place - Puri belongs to Shiva, although Jagannath is Vishnu. Today we will go to the big Jagannath temple, and I hope to visit the khadi shop nearby, for a good set of kurta pyjamas.

I’ve given up on the email, so don’t expect much emailing from me, although I receive them no problem.

… later (connection was too slow to send earlier…
We went to the big temple, but could not go in – non-Hindus are not allowed into temples in Orissa unfortunately. It is a big scene, would love to go inside.

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 12:58:11 AM »
It sounds like you are having a lovely experience thus far on your journeys Michael, thank you so much for sharing them here with us as well!

Its a beautiful area.. looking over the pictures I envy your visit! :)

The depth of the whole place is seen by me in the devotion to beauty, as the sacred of 'all' is honored.

Much love to you both and safe travels, Jennifer

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007, 04:02:27 AM »
beauty ... well, put it this way, this room is beautiful, the hotel ('Z') is beautiful, but outside ... well it has beauty in a way, if you ignore the human and dog shits all over the beach, the fetid sewerage outflow that runs through the town and out over the beach, the piss and crap and plastic bags and rotting stuff, the beggars and the complete grubbiness of everything, the potholed roads 0 where any tarmac exists, the noise of traffic and the constant horn blowing.

It takes an experienced eye to see the beauty of India, and it is beautiful, in fact stunning - but not everyone can see it!

When we arrived in Calcutta at 11 pm, at the dilapidated international airport, there was no ATM to change money, so we had to walk to the Domestic airport to find an ATM. Then the taxis were on strike. When we finally got a taxi, it was the most rickety spluttering rattling excuse for a car you have ever seen - with bolts on the ceiling which I hit with my head as we went over a particularly big bump in the road. As we looked out the window, I kid you not, we thought it was a living nightmare - everything was filthy and in a state of living decay. Worse than any Indian city I have seen yet. The taxi driver didn't know the hotel, but after much hassle we finally found it after midnight - it was closed and some decaying old codger let us in to a room, which was not too bad considering everything else. But the hotel looked like it had only just survived the bombing of Dresden. Visibility was about 1 km, due to smog, smoke and dust.

Next day, the place came alive - such a bustle of colour and activity!

India is not easy! But the nights when everyone comes out and walks the streets - such a crowd!, such noise and lights and vibrancy, like no other place I have ever seen - and the people are basically friendly and fun loving - music and exotic smells, cars and rickshaws and bicycles and motor bikes - it goes on for streets and streets and streets. i love walking in amongst it all, but Julie finds it tiring and is frightened by the danger of the traffic, which pays scant regard for any rule of the road ... its every one for themselves, yet there is a give and take, a method in the madness. My body just relaxes and streams into the chaos, with Julie behind getting worried and exhausted - mind you, not all the time, she also likes it, but not too much.

m

wintersong

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2007, 06:50:14 AM »
1st dude- How was the last town?
2nd dude- It was terrible, everyone was mean.
1st dude- The next town will be the same.

1st dude- How was the last town?
3rd dude- It was beautiful, everyone was soo nice.
1st dude- The next town will be the same!

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
Re: Traveling India (Sun temple Konark)
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2007, 08:29:41 AM »

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
Re: Traveling India (Sun temple)
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2007, 08:36:21 AM »

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
Re: Traveling India (Sun Temple)
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2007, 08:42:32 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk