Author Topic: See Emily Play  (Read 50 times)

Jahn

See Emily Play
« on: September 18, 2012, 03:43:46 AM »
Let's go back to the last days of Syd Barret as a member of Pink Floyd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUk6giS-m7g

Ever wonder about the name?
Pink Floyd was a LSD trip and good old Syd just had onetrip too much.

Saw a program on TV the other day about the follow up album to the "Dark side of the Moon",
"Wish You Were Here", which was a album and track dedicated to Syd.

Nice to see these old men in the band, give their view and memories what happened back then.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 03:50:08 AM by Jahn »

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
Re: See Emily Play
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 08:24:53 PM »
Not one of my favourite tracks from their early days.
Floyd had an unfortunate fate: first Syd went mad, and died years later but not before mysteriously turning up at the back of the studio when they were recording Wish You Were Here - talked to no one then left.

Then they went into mega-shows, which pissed most of the band off except Roger Waters. The band split up but Syd's stand-in-guitarist kept it going under the same name, while fighting off court cases from Roger, who also took to the road with his mega stuff. Finally they all came back together (except for Syd) under pleading by Bob Geldoff for the Live Aid gig.

Bit of a sad story really, but some fantastic music!

Jahn

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 03:57:18 AM »
Floyd had an unfortunate fate: first Syd went mad, and died years later but not before mysteriously turning up at the back of the studio when they were recording Wish You Were Here - talked to no one then left.

Then they went into mega-shows, which pissed most of the band off except Roger Waters. The band split up but Syd's stand-in-guitarist kept it going under the same name, while fighting off court cases from Roger, who also took to the road with his mega stuff. Finally they all came back together (except for Syd) under pleading by Bob Geldoff for the Live Aid gig.

Bit of a sad story really, but some fantastic music!

There you are.
But Waters is a neggo while Gilmour made the band flow.

Heh, I remember a line of Waters, when he had a tour with the Wall (the Wall was a reason for the band to leave Waters), Roger Waters said: Well some times my tour clashed with the Pink Floyd tour, and there I was in a city, and could engage a few thousands while PF at the same time had 10 or 20 times as many people in their audience.
No exact citation but that was about what he meant.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 04:38:38 AM by Jahn »

Jahn

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 03:59:31 AM »

Well, good old Syd died in July 2006, long time after the recording of Wish You were Here.

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 08:47:51 AM »
Curious - that story came from the band members themselves, so I don't know where the mixup lies.

Jahn

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 04:37:16 AM »
Curious - that story came from the band members themselves, so I don't know where the mixup lies.

Syd freaked out and lived with his mother most of his remaining adult life.
At the time when he had to leave PF he lived with a hippe-group that perhaps was too keen on taking acid.

from Wikipedia:

"After he [Syd B] left Pink Floyd, he recorded two solo albums: The Madcap Laughs and Barrett (both 1970). Both albums were re-released as a double album, after the unexpected success of Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of the Moon. On 24 February 1970, he recorded five songs (one from The Madcaps, three from Barrett, and a one-off – "Two of a Kind") for the BBC Radio show Top Gear. These songs were released as a mini-album, in 1987, as Syd Barrett: The Peel Session. In 2004, the five songs from Top Gear, and three songs from a then-newly discovered tape of Bob Harris show, were released as The Radio One Sessions."

Year Album details
 The Peel Session Released: 25 January 1987
 Label: Strange Fruit

The Radio One Sessions Released: 29 March 2004
 Label: Strange Fruit

"Roger Keith "Syd" Barrett (6 January 1946 – 7 July 2006), was an English singer-songwriter, guitarist and painter, best remembered as a founder member of the band Pink Floyd. He was the lead vocalist, guitarist and primary songwriter during the band's psychedelic years, providing major musical and stylistic direction in their early work. He is credited with creating their name, but left the group in April 1968 amid speculations of mental illness exacerbated by drug use, and was briefly hospitalised.[2]"

"He died in 2006. A number of biographies have been written about him since the 1980s, and Pink Floyd wrote and recorded several tributes to him after he left, most notably the 1975 album Wish You Were Here."

« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 04:41:44 AM by Jahn »

Jahn

Re: See Emily Play - London Underground
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 04:47:09 AM »
London Underground

"While Pink Floyd began by playing cover versions of American R&B songs[46] (in much the same vein as contemporaries The Rolling Stones, The Yardbirds, and The Kinks), by 1966 they had carved out their own style of improvised rock and roll,[47][48] which drew as much from improvised jazz[49] as it did from British pop-rock, such as that championed by The Beatles. After Bob Klose departed from the band, for the rest of the members, the band's direction changed, however, not instantly,[nb 1] with more improvising on the guitars and keyboards.[38] Mason said on the change: "It always felt to me that most of the ideas were emanating from Syd at the time".[38] In October 1965, after a jam with Gilmour at the 21st birthday party of Thorgerson's girlfriend, Libby January, the band got drunk.[52] They were so drunk that Barrett tried to whip off a tablecloth, with all items on the table, managing to crash the items on to the floor.[52] Barrett, frequently at his Earlham Road residence, played The Mothers of Invention's Freak Out!, The Byrds' Fifth Dimension, The Fugs' and Love's debut albums,[53] and The Beatles' Revolver,[54] repeatedly. All these albums were connected by their proto-psychedelic field, which had begun to guide Barrett's songs, as much as R&B had, previously.[53] "Interstellar Overdrive" (included into the band's setlist from autumn), for example, was inspired by the riff from Love's "My Little Red Book", the free-form section (and also, "Pow R. Toc H.") was inspired by Frank Zappa's free-form freak-outs and The Byrds' "Eight Miles High".[53] The Kinks' "Sunny Afternoon" was an important influence on Barrett's songwriting.[53]

At this time, Barrett's reading reputedly contained (among others): Grimm's Fairy Tales, Tolkien's The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, Carlos Castaneda's The Teachings of Don Juan, and The I-Ching.[53] During this period, Barrett wrote most of the songs for not only Pink Floyd's first album, and also songs that would later appear on his solo albums.[53] In 1966, a new rock concert venue, the UFO (pronounced as "you-foe"),[55] opened in London and quickly became a haven for British psychedelic music. Pink Floyd, the house band,[50][55][56][57] was its most popular attraction and after making appearances at the rival Roundhouse,[57][58][59] became the most popular musical group of the so-called "London Underground" psychedelic music scene.[10]"

Well the teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge,  by Carlos C, was not released until in 1968. But perhaps that is in time.

Jahn

And if your head explodes - I see you on the dark side of the Moon
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 05:19:52 AM »

Pink Floyd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoD_SEoDPzc

First Album release, March 1973.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk