Author Topic: It's always near - right here  (Read 165 times)

erik

It's always near - right here
« on: September 23, 2013, 02:49:00 AM »
The following events took place within the last few weeks.

Roughly a month ago we decided to go for a bicycle ride. It was a nice warm evening. Everything looked good. We put on sports clothes and were about to exit when I got an idea that it would be good wash the dishes. It took less than five minutes and off we went.

In 15 minutes we reached 1-1.5 km long and absolutely straight part of the road. Next minute, ahead of us rose 7-10 metres high column of what looked like a white smoke. It rose right next to the road and I thought that that was one strange place to make fire. In next couple of minutes, we got to the source of the "smoke". In fact, it was a steam from the radiator of a car in the ravine on the left side of the road. The other car - massive 4x4 vehicle - was in the ravine on right side of the road. There were no fatalities, but a young mother was trying comfort a child in deep shock.

As it turned out, the 4x4 thing drove into the opposite lane (to the left) and forced a smaller car off the road. Hence, the steam. However, there was a minor collision between the cars that sent the 4x4 to the right. Had I not washed the dishes, our trajectories would have crossed with rather high probability. For us, there would have been no way to dodge the car as it would have hit us from behind. Given its speed and mass, we would have flown 20-25 metres before hitting the ground in the bush.

I was driving on a roundabout couple of weeks ago, and while exiting it, I spotted a car that was approaching from a side road. It actually never stopped to give way, and I slipped through right in front of its nose. I don't think it was more than 2-3 metres away from the right front door of our car.

Then there was a very close lightning strike I wrote about elsewhere.

There was one more close call in the traffic when yet another car failed to give way to me. It was also no more than couple of metres away when I drove through.

There you are - all good reminders of a true state of affairs.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 05:10:14 AM by erik »

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
Re: It's always near - right here
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 05:02:00 AM »
You have had some close ones!    :o
Not here, not there, but everywhere - always right before your eyes.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

erik

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 05:13:06 AM »
It's always present, just a moment away.

erik

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 06:47:53 PM »
Blink of an eye away would be better expression.

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 08:01:53 PM »
The desire to wash the dishes, although not an absolute avoidance measure, seems pretty darn close for comfort - the need to follow such prompts even when they appear irrational, is essential. That you acted on such a whim indicates something is working on the inside for you, and something assisting out there to send such a prompt.

But it is true, no matter how safe we feel we are, the boom can come down at any moment. Julie was just saying on the train today, how travelling makes her feel so vulnerable, which is true, but actually it's only a realisation of a perpetual condition which we avoid recognising.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk