Author Topic: The Goddess  (Read 473 times)

Offline Nick

• Rishi
  • Life Branches.
Re: The Goddess
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2006, 12:33:09 PM »
"Beat me, kick me, make me write bad checks!" ;)

Who said this, I've heard this several times before but don't know its origin?

Good quote though  ;D Not sure about the bad checks though, I hate spending money I don't have. But, yeah my wife can beat me, kick me, and make me do pretty much anything else! At least once in awhile...heck my wife is a Christian the least she could do is torture me for being a heathen!
"As long as we confuse the myriad forms of the divine lila with reality, without perceiving the unity of Brahman underlying all these forms, we are under the spell of maya..."
 -Fritjof Capra, The Tao of Physics: An Exploration of the Parallels between Modern Physics and Eastern Mysticism

nichi

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2006, 12:35:39 PM »
Heheh, I don't know who said it -- my ex used to say it.
I tried to oblige... up to a point!

Well, here's to some good old-fashioned berating, Ian!

(((you)))

Offline Nick

• Rishi
  • Life Branches.
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2006, 01:58:07 PM »
Heheh, I don't know who said it -- my ex used to say it.
I tried to oblige... up to a point!

Well, here's to some good old-fashioned berating, Ian!

(((you)))

No, no, berating! LOL. Just something to get the blood flowin! Reminds me all of a sudden of Rasputin, how he got punched one day and then seemed to develop a thing for that kind of punishment which lead (somehow) to him becoming a dervish-monk or what ever he was...  :D
"As long as we confuse the myriad forms of the divine lila with reality, without perceiving the unity of Brahman underlying all these forms, we are under the spell of maya..."
 -Fritjof Capra, The Tao of Physics: An Exploration of the Parallels between Modern Physics and Eastern Mysticism

nichi

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2006, 02:21:23 PM »
No, no, berating! LOL. Just something to get the blood flowin! Reminds me all of a sudden of Rasputin, how he got punched one day and then seemed to develop a thing for that kind of punishment which lead (somehow) to him becoming a dervish-monk or what ever he was...  :D

Those whacky, madcap ascetics!  :D

niamhspark

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2006, 05:13:51 PM »
"Beat me, kick me, make me write bad checks!" ;)

Run up the charge card with lotsa Prada! That'll give the same wounded effect! :P

Offline Nick

• Rishi
  • Life Branches.
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2006, 12:20:33 AM »
Run up the charge card with lotsa Prada! That'll give the same wounded effect! :P

Ick, what is it with women and frivolously spending money?!  :P

No it has to be a direct physical hurt.  :-*

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
  • Let us dance of freedom~
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2006, 01:39:49 AM »
Ick, what is it with women and frivolously spending money?!  :P

No it has to be a direct physical hurt.  :-*

Um... careful what you wish for... *smirks* she might kick yer ass!
Without constant complete silence meditation - samadi - we lose ourselves in the game.  MM

Offline Nick

• Rishi
  • Life Branches.
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2006, 02:17:39 AM »

LOL, I wish  ;)

I'm married but I get dream. lol  ;D

niamhspark

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2006, 04:03:07 PM »

They usually do!  ;D

erik

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2006, 05:10:31 PM »
Ian, one of the Egyptian curses was angry women. It was in the same category as floods and droughts and other natural disasters!

If I were you I'd consider professional boxing or joining WWF if I wanted to be treated violently!  :D
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 05:13:32 PM by gangster »

Offline Nick

• Rishi
  • Life Branches.
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2006, 09:33:31 AM »
Ian, one of the Egyptian curses was angry women. It was in the same category as floods and droughts and other natural disasters!

If I were you I'd consider professional boxing or joining WWF if I wanted to be treated violently!  :D

LOL!

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2006, 09:50:04 PM »
the goddesses can be either, but they play through us in turn

Offline Nick

• Rishi
  • Life Branches.
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2006, 12:04:53 AM »
the goddesses can be either, but they play through us in turn

Are we talking about archetypes here or real Gods? Always thought the Hawaiian’s had an interesting system with a deity for everything of nature.

My archetype for my ideal woman used to be the perfect balance of all opposites, perfectly centered, and she was capable and able in the worldly affairs without losing her center. She could by day tend to high-powered business, and at night come home to let go of all that went on throughout the day, return to her center, and express who she truly is inside.

She would be mature but eternally young and vital at the core. Capable of letting go at an instant, of abandoning her self to play in the moment, carefree.

If I was to turn this into a deity, she would have all this but also the powers of a Goddess. I imagine her as some how embodying electricity-lightning, and she could see our thoughts. She would not be an easy deity to please, for she would demand that I sacrifice all that I hold onto in the world, and that I become sharp and always ready. She would be a warrior Goddess and expect me to be a warrior at her service. If I consulted her she would tell me the truth in ruthlessly honest way. Trying to come close to her would rip the masks from my face and the cloths from my being.

But I would be able to connect to her safely through the core of my being.

I see this as a symbol for something I was to embody.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 12:06:50 AM by Ian »

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2010, 03:44:58 AM »

Devi – The Sacred Feminine in Hinduism

From Gaia and Ashtart to Isis, Venus and Juno, female divinities have occupied a vital role in ancient cultures. Hinduism though, is the only surviving religion where worship of the feminine principle continues in an unbroken tradition. The ancients named this principle “Shakti” which varyingly means power, divine energy and life force.

Folk Vs. Classic Traditions

While Devi is the generic name for the sacred feminine, there are distinct traditions that determine how she is perceived and worshiped in her myriad manifestations.

In the original folk tradition (still widely followed in southern India), every village has its own Goddess, usually a virgin. These deities are not celestials; rather, many were wronged or desecrated women, their fury transforming them into powerful goddesses who must be constantly worshiped and placated. They preside over disease, fertility, childbirth and death. Villagers stricken with pox-like ailments, for instance, pray to Mariamman or Sitala Devi for deliverance. Another aspect of this feral goddess is Kali, who avenges injustice or tyranny and protects the innocent.

Festivals to honor them incorporated animal sacrifice (now banned by law). Their iconography ranges from vermilion-smeared stones, trees, spears and bronze statues to red clad, magnificently wild-eyed women, armed with a plethora of deadly weapons.

In the classical tradition, derived from ancient religious texts and mythology, Devi is a far more docile, domesticated figure. Lotus-eyed, desirable, gracious and compassionate, she appears in multiple forms both as consort to the gods or as an individual icon.

Parvati is Shiva the Destroyer’s wife, the mother goddess of creation, fertility and marriage. While Shiva is matter itself – the stuff of the Universe – Parvati as Shakti is the dynamic life force. The propitiation of this force is the basis of all Hindu religious practice. Together, Shiva and Parvati symbolize the union of the male and female principles, resulting in Creation and the endless cycle of birth, decay and death.

Lakshmi is wife to Vishnu the Preserver, the radiant goddess of wealth who visits Earth during the festival of Diwali. Saraswati is unique among goddesses across religions in representing the link between intellect and the sacred feminine. Seated on a swan in resplendent white, she presides over literature, the arts and all learning, the patroness of all students. In Vedic hymns, she appears as Vak, or speech, the force that produced the ancient mantras.

The benign countenances and sensuous forms of these goddesses are derived from fertility spirits called yakshis, whose sculpted forms decorate Buddhist and Jain gateways from the 5th century. In this tradition, even Durga, goddess of war, is a strikingly beautiful female figure.

Navratri, a nine-day celebration is dedicated to Lakshmi, Saraswati and Durga, a thanksgiving festival and a time to experience the Goddess in all her glory.

The Goddess in popular culture

More forms of the Goddess are revered in mythology and celebrated in music and dance. Usha, Prithvi and Aditi are associated with the earth in Vedic literature, but are no longer worshiped. Radha, beloved of Lord Krishna is deeply venerated in northern India. Sita, Lord Rama’s wife in the Ramayana is upheld in popular culture as an ideal of womanhood.

In popular stories recounted over generations, these goddesses are virtually a part of Hindu families. By turns passionate, wise, devious, warm and jealous, they too need the love of their devotees!

The Goddess continues to evolve, even in our mundane times! In 1975, a simplistic, folk-tale based Hindi film, Jai Santoshi Ma became a runaway hit. Its protagonist, Santoshi Ma (Goddess of Contentment), a little known deity until then, “crossed over” into mainstream religious practice and began to be worshiped widely by north Indian women as an abiding symbol of family values, peace and happiness.

Devi – The Sacred Feminine in Hinduism

Not here, not there, but everywhere - always right before your eyes.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2010, 03:49:24 AM »
Juhani's comment that an angry woman was something along the line of the plague or a natural disaster made me laugh this morning. (Miss him!)
Not here, not there, but everywhere - always right before your eyes.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk