Author Topic: Goan Fish Curry  (Read 72 times)

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
Goan Fish Curry
« on: May 29, 2014, 09:23:37 PM »
It's taken me awhile to get this curry right, so here are my current recommendations.

Firstly, the rice: we usually buy Basmati rice, in large 10kg bags at Indian shops. India Gate is our preferred brand, and I prefer their normal rice, but Julie prefers me to get their par-boiled brand, which is low GI. We also use Red Rice, the best being from Kerala if you can get it - very different than Himalayan Red Rice, which has a strong nutty flavour that is good with stronger flavoured stir-frys.

I have tried many techniques over the years, but currently I use this technique:

1. Wash the rice well three times in the saucepan with clean water. I usually drain into a strainer on each wash. This removes substances that cause the rice to stick together after cooking. The whole focus is on getting separated grains of fluffy rice, so this step is critical.

2. Soak in water for about 20 min (I do try to do this but often run out of time - planning is important). This allows the rice to expand, especially for long grained rice like Bismati

3. Boil until cooked in saucepan with ample water. I don't use the absorption method anymore, as it is too hard to get right (although an electric Rice Cooker is a good technique). Best to pull off just before fully cooked and expanded, but it seems that too soon will not work - you have to experiment to get it right.

4. Drain into a colander. Put a smaller amount of water in the saucepan and bring to the boil. Place the colander on top, with a correct sized lid on top of the rice (so the steam doesn't all escape out the sides of the colander).

5. Steam until the rice is well cooked and fluffy-dry. Put aside - it can stay there for some time, so it's better to start the rice in good time before the rest of the meal.

next - the curry....

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
Re: Goan Fish Curry
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 10:10:51 PM »
I recommend using a good Goan Fish Curry paste. In any Indian Shop you can always find numerous varieties of these pastes. If you have the luxury of living near a number of Indian groceries, look for the very best Goan Fish Curry mix by the brand, Parampara.

1. Place saucepan on heat. When hot, add some Virgin Olive Oil. When that's hot, throw in chopped up garlic, ginger and onion. This step is important, as the paste never get that bottom end without frying these veggies first. cook on medium heat until the onion goes light brown.

2. Add in the Coconut Milk. The only Coconut Milk you should use is the premium sort where no extra water is added nor has been fat-reduced. In the supermarket you will find many varieties of Coconut Milk. Basically you are looking for that which has the Coconut Cream retained. If you use any reduced fat or water diluted variety with Indian cooking, the spices are too powerful, and the result is often unpleasant to the palate.

Some studies have been done on this, due to Coconut Cream's high saturated fat content, but usually they find that because cultures which consume more Coconut Cream also mix it with fish and vegetables, they don't show the negative impacts of saturated fat. Personally, I think it best to not use it too much, but don't devalue a good dish with watered down Coconut Milk.

When you open a can of Coconut Milk, you will see the Coconut Cream congealed to the top or sticking on the lid - that's the difference between the Milk and the Cream, just like with cow's milk.

You don't need a lot of Coconut Milk - about a third of a cup is enough for one dish.

3. Mix in the curry paste. Simmer. The right amount of paste-to-milk is only discerned by trial and error, so best to experiment before foisting it on others.

4. The veggies. Indians will not usually add veggies to this curry, because their cooking is typically for a large number of people. Thus they will have separate curries for each vegetable or a combination of two vegetables - rarely ever more than that, unless it subzi. But if you are cooking for one or two, then it's impracticable to make up more than one main dish.

I have two versions. If you want to 'extend the fish texture' add in mushrooms and/or eggplant. If you have plenty of fish, and are looking for contrast, leave these out.

Other vegetables that go well are greens and reds. Greens: beans are always a favourite, and broccoli. Reds: red capsicum added in last is excellent. Peas are not so good, and better used in a separate dish if you want.

5. Fish. I prefer Nile Perch. Often a farmed fish that is environmentally unfriendly, but it has the required characteristics of a fish-for-curries. Namely, it holds together well in cooking, and is not too oily. Also, any delicately or expensively flavoured fish gets lost in the curry spices, so you have to remember it's the final dish that matters, not the fish itself.

Any fish which satisfies these characteristics is good.

6. Add these in, in sequence - remember the fish falls apart with too much cooking, so I typically add it in last, with only the red capsicum to go in just before serving, to keep that crisp.

A bit of pickle is always good on the side, and you can't do much better than a nice lime pickle with fish.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 10:25:09 PM by Michael »

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 10:28:24 PM »
Drinks: personally I prefer a white wine. Wine usually does not go with curry, and often beer is better, but beer is to gross for fish and coconut milk. Red wine is too strong and Chinese tea is too light. White wine does seem good, but best a dry variety to contrast the richness of the coconut.

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 02:44:53 AM »
Sounds delicious!
Not here, not there, but everywhere - always right before your eyes.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Nick

• Rishi
  • Life Branches.
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 10:19:48 PM »

Some studies have been done on this, due to Coconut Cream's high saturated fat content, but usually they find that because cultures which consume more Coconut Cream also mix it with fish and vegetables, they don't show the negative impacts of saturated fat. Personally, I think it best to not use it too much, but don't devalue a good dish with watered down Coconut Milk.

I think I'm going to try and make this this Saturday. Saturdays Jen and I expand our palates. Curry is one of our favorites...never too sure if we are making it the way it is in India, but we still enjoy exploring new flavors.

Its harder during the week, I try new things with Dani, but its a matter of giving her a plate full of familiar food, with a touch of something new, and then forcing her to try the new thing. Sometimes we also do a dinner with a lot of different fun sized samples of new things. Sometimes this excites her...sometimes she just makes a disgusted face...but I'm glad she eats more variety than I did at her age.

This article is very well thought out, and covers the saturated fat issue. Here is a piece of it:

"According to an article in the New York Times:

Partial hydrogenation creates dreaded trans fats. It also destroys many of the good essential fatty acids, antioxidants and other positive components present in virgin coconut oil. And while it’s true that most of the fats in virgin coconut oil are saturated, opinions are changing on whether saturated fats are the arterial villains they were made out to be. “I think we in the nutrition field are beginning to say that saturated fats are not so bad, and the evidence that said they were is not so strong,” Dr. Brenna said.

Coconut oil contains lauric acid, which raises both HDL and LDL cholesterol levels. This may improve the cholesterol profile, although there are concerns that it may promote atherosclerosis by other means. Virgin coconut oil contains medium-chain triglycerides, which are not as risky as some other saturated fats."

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/coconut-oil/

"As long as we confuse the myriad forms of the divine lila with reality, without perceiving the unity of Brahman underlying all these forms, we are under the spell of maya..."
 -Fritjof Capra, The Tao of Physics: An Exploration of the Parallels between Modern Physics and Eastern Mysticism

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk