Author Topic: The Householder's Journeys  (Read 356 times)

Offline Nick

• Rishi
  • Life Branches.
Re: The Householder's Journeys
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2014, 08:45:53 AM »
I have become my own version of an optimist. If I can't make it through one door, I'll go through another door - or I'll make a door. Something terrific will come no matter how dark the present.
Rabindranath Tagore
"As long as we confuse the myriad forms of the divine lila with reality, without perceiving the unity of Brahman underlying all these forms, we are under the spell of maya..."
 -Fritjof Capra, The Tao of Physics: An Exploration of the Parallels between Modern Physics and Eastern Mysticism

Offline Nick

• Rishi
  • Life Branches.
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2014, 01:40:15 PM »
This is more of a family reunion than an adventure of the type this thread is for, but I'm going to see how I can make the most of it. How I might turn it into a bit of an adventure.

Originally it was going to be a road trip to the Grand Canyon, but then I decided it wasn't in the budget. Still my Mom, and Aunt live out in Colorado. My Aunt had offered on numerous occassions to fly us all out there. I took them up on it once about 6 years ago, and I've decided to go for it again.

It begins the 19th of July.

Daughter loves cats, so will take her to her first musical, Cats. Then we will explore Pittsburgh for a day, stay in a hotel for the night, and catch our flight early the next morning.

See if I can turn this into a proper mind altering experience....
"As long as we confuse the myriad forms of the divine lila with reality, without perceiving the unity of Brahman underlying all these forms, we are under the spell of maya..."
 -Fritjof Capra, The Tao of Physics: An Exploration of the Parallels between Modern Physics and Eastern Mysticism

Offline Nick

• Rishi
  • Life Branches.
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2014, 10:42:41 PM »
It turned out to be just a normal family vacation. There where some educational moments, but not quite what this thread was for.

There was a point at which the stimulation of all the stuff we were doing got to be too much for Dani, and she started to have a minor panic attack. Coloring soothed her, and then a trip to a lake after brought her back to a contented place.

It was a fun trip though.

I didn't know my Mom when I was growing up. My earliest memory has been when I was about 7 and she came for a visit. Only time she ever came for a visit. Well one night during this trip she said something in the car, what she said doesn't matter. It was the expression on her face, and the feelings she was expressing that triggered a memory. It had to have been from when I was very little. I could feel how I took on her attitude in that moment, I could feel how I wanted a closer connection to her, but she felt distant. I could make sense of how this connects to other problems I've had in my life.

We were concerned about Dani cause though she was enjoying herself, at several points her anxiety increased quite a bit. A week before the trip her anxiety was up, and a week after. Past 3 days though, she has been back to the high level of stability we've been seeing lately. Though I must say she handled the difficult moments better than normal. She has also been more willing to express in words how she feels.

In the past Jen has had trouble connecting with Dani, but lately she has been doing a much better job with this. Over the trip it was enjoyable to watch them being silly with each other, esp. when Jen would tickle Dani on the airplane, and Dani would threaten to lick her. When Dani did Jen proceeded to lick her back, instead of her typical response of getting upset about the gross lick.

Not sure if I will be able to make the slightly long distance trip was planning for August, due to expenses. Though I will do something. Perhaps there is a way I can lessen the expense.

Also come winter I might have some trouble with these adventures... have to think about how to work that out.

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2014, 12:22:16 AM »
Mighty job you are doing Nick!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk