Author Topic: Two Soups  (Read 132 times)

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
Two Soups
« on: June 11, 2016, 05:42:22 PM »
Encountered these recipes tonight, and they got me to salivating, so I'm going to share them.

Italian Lentil Soup

This hearty Italian Lentil Soup recipe is easy to make, naturally gluten-free, and full of the best Italian flavors!

Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 40 mins
Total Time: 55 mins

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    2 cups diced white onion (about 1 large onion)
    1 cup diced carrots (about 2 large carrots, peeled)
    1 cup diced celery (about 2 celery stalks, leaves removed)
    4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
    7-8 cups vegetable or chicken stock
    1 cup rinsed red lentils
    1 (15-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
    2 bay leaves
    1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
    pinch of crushed red pepper
    2 cups roughly-chopped collard greens
    optional toppings: freshly-grated Parmesan cheese, finely-chopped fresh parsley or basil

Directions:
Stovetop Directions:

Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat.  Add onion, carrots and celery, and saute for 6-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft and translucent.  Add the garlic and saute for an additional 1-2 minutes until fragrant, stirring occasionally.
    Add the stock, lentils, tomatoes, bay leaves, thyme, black pepper, and crushed pepper, and stir to combine.  Continue cooking until the mixture reaches a simmer.
    Reduce heat to medium-low and cover the pot partially with the lid.  Keeping the soup at a low simmer, continue cooking for about 25-30 minutes or until the lentils are tender and cooked through, stirring occasionally.
    Stir in the collard greens, and continue cooking for 5 minutes or until the greens have softened.
    Taste, and season with additional salt and pepper if needed.  Remove the bay leaves.
    Serve warm, garnished with optional toppings if desired.
    This soup can also be refrigerated in a sealed container for up to 3 days, or frozen for up to 3 months.

Slow Cooker Directions:

Add the first 12 ingredients (through the red pepper) to a large 6-quart slow cooker, and stir to combine.  Cook for 4-5 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low, until the lentils are tender and cooked through.
    Stir in the collard greens, and continue cooking for 5 minutes or until the greens have softened.
    Taste, and season with additional salt and pepper if needed.  Remove the bay leaves.
    Serve warm, garnished with optional toppings if desired.
    This soup can also be refrigerated in a sealed container for up to 3 days, or frozen for up to 3 months.

*If making this recipe vegetarian, use vegetable stock instead of chicken.

**If making this recipe vegan, use vegetable stock and omit the cheese.

***If you would like to add meat, I recommend browning 1 pound of Italian sausage in a skillet separately.  Then drain the grease, and stir the sausage into the soup.
Not here, not there, but everywhere - always right before your eyes.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
Re: Two Soups
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 05:45:32 PM »
  Tomato Red Lentil Soup   

1 onion, chopped
    1 cup of split red lentils, rinsed
    2 tablespoon of tomato paste
    1 can (15 0z) chopped tomatoes
    1 can (15 oz) coconut milk
    1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for garnish
    3-4 cups of water or broth
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Parsley to garnish

Instructions

In a dutch oven or other heavy pan, heat up the oil, add onion and cook for 3 minutes until translucent
    Add tomato paste, lentils, and can of tomatoes
    Stirr and let it cook for another 3 minutes
    Add water or broth, cover and let it cook for about 20 minutes
    Add coconut milk, salt and pepper and cook for another 10 minutes
    Adjust seasoning
    At this time you can use immerse blander and blend some of the soup (or as much as you like; I like it a little chunky so I only pureed a little bit to give it texture)
    Serve with parsley, olive oil and cracked pepper.
    Enjoy

(Julie pointed out that they omitted garlic from the recipe, and garlic would be a must-have. She also recommended chili flakes, and I agree there too. She also suggested coriander -- it sounds good, but I don't know coriander.)
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 08:20:27 PM »
Basically lentil soups. We are very firm favourites of lentil soups. But over the years, I tend to prefer the brown lentils, at least for a winter soup.

With brown lentils, I do like some potato mixed into the ingredients.

Coconut milk: that is a curious addition. I suspect it would go better with red lentils. Coconut is always a tasty addition, but I have found it changes the nature of the soup - makes it very filling.

Tomatoes are fine, but I would prefer it doesn't become a tomato soup - that becomes a different thing, although again, would work well with the red lentils.

Bay leaves are good - especially fresh ones from your garden. But I like a lot of herbs - Julie and I differ on this. I like the full range of herbs in a soup, not just thyme, which is the first of course. Adding in the collards is a great addition - I love that kind of thing.

Once Julie has made these lentil soups, I secretly add in to my own plate fish paste or dried bits and chilli of any kind. I like my flavours full on.

Ke-ke wan

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 05:14:57 AM »
I made a lentil soup a couple of weeks ago.  For the stock, I used the pulp from a couple days of juicing.
Probably could have blended it or strained it, but the pulp made a nice starter for the lentil soup.

I add heat and all kinds of green herbs. 

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 05:22:51 AM »
Sounds yummy!
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Ke-ke wan

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 05:48:49 AM »
Sounds yummy!

It was delicious for the first three days....

I made too much!

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2016, 07:35:00 PM »
Lentil Chili

2 Tbsp. olive oil
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 large red bell pepper, chopped
    5 cloves garlic, minced
    4 tsp. chili powder
    1 (16 oz.) bag of brown lentils
    2 (14.5 oz.) cans no-salt diced tomatoes
    1 bay leaf
    2 (32 oz.) cartons vegetable stock or chicken stock
    ⅓ cup fresh chopped cilantro
    sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
    Optional toppings: sour cream, cheddar cheese, croutons, tortilla chips, avocado

Instructions

In a large soup pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and red bell pepper; saute the vegetables for 8 minutes or until onion is soft and lightly browned.
    Stir in garlic and chili powder; cook for 1 minute.
    Add lentils, tomatoes, bay leaf and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, lower the heat to medium-low and simmer partially covered for 30 minutes or until lentils are tender. Remove from the heat and discard the bay leaf.
    Transfer 3 cups of cooked chili into a food processor and process until pureed; add the pureed chili back into the remaining chili and stir to combine. Adjust salt and pepper as needed.
    Stir in cilantro and serve.

Notes
If you like your chili spicy, add chopped fresh jalapeno or red pepper flakes for some heat

I'd have to come up with something different for the food-processor step, and I can't really eat cilantro. Perhaps parsley or rosemary or basil instead.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk