Author Topic: Dairy and eggs  (Read 214 times)

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
Dairy and eggs
« on: June 29, 2017, 08:34:52 PM »
We have been told that eggs and full cream dairy increase your cholesterol.

Dairy:
First was the move away from butter and cream. I think now most think margarine is bad for health, although some sources claim it is no longer made in the old way with bad fats. But then people moved to 'spreadable' butter, which does include vegetable oils. We also have the introduction of olive oil into the butter scene, or just on its own in solidified form (not sure how they accomplish that). On olive oil, in Australia it has been found many supermarket brands of Mediterranean cold-pressed olive oil is actually only 'pure', not cold pressed. So we now only purchase Australian olive oil, although there have been claims it is often old oil. Personally I rarely eat butter, and we have moved to good quality cold-pressed flaxseed oil as a 'sprinkle' on vegies (it's supposed to be one of the best oils for good cholesterol).

The Heart Foundation still recommends low-fat milk and yoghurt.

Milk: to make homogenised milk, they spin the cream out, then add it back in. Low-fat milk has less cream added back in. But the fat of milk contains most of the nutrients. They have also done studies to show that children who drink full cream milk are healthier than, and leaner than, those who drink low-fat milk. I find this reference somewhat odd, and would need to see more on the study to believe such sweeping claims. Nonetheless, the health fashion is now back to full cream milk. If you follow this fashion, you should obtain non-homogenised full cream milk.

But I'm sceptical. Children are not adults who already have high cholesterol problems. It seems to me, despite the better overall health value of full cream milk, low-fat milk is probably still better for those with high cholesterol. Personally, I like goats milk.

Yoghurt: here, it is becoming very difficult to purchase plain yoghurt, full cream or low-fat, in the supermarket, and everyone now eats fruit yoghurt. My research has shown that pretty much all commercial fruit yoghurt has no beneficial bacteria in it whatsoever, and the same applies to many low-fat yoghurts. But low-fat yoghurts also have high sugar content, which applies to pretty much all low-fat dairy. The only way to solve this, is to look at the nutrient table on the yoghurt package (if there is one) and check which has the best ratio of fats and sugar. We now use a full cream one which has less sugar and fat than other brand low-fat yoghurts. Apparently, the low-fat aspect negatively affects the digestive bacteria levels they claim.

if you have a high glucose blood level, then stay away from low-fat. If you have high cholesterol and lower glucose, perhaps low-fat might be better. If you have both high glucose and cholesterol, as many older people do, then study the nutrient labels for the lowest of both. If you have a high 'good' cholesterol (around 2) then you can pretty much disregard your 'bad' cholesterol levels (so my doctor tells me).

Eggs: first they told us to eat only the yolk. Next they claimed the 'whole' egg was better, but to limit consumption to a few a week - never more than six. But a recent huge study has discovered that people who eat eggs every day are far healthier and thinner than those who eschew them. Recent evidence suggests that high cholesterol foods don't equate to the body storing up that cholesterol. This applies to squid (calamari) as well. The main reason for egg eaters being thinner is because eggs are protein which leave us feeling full - so we don't snack through the day.

I am experimenting on this, and watching my cholesterol levels on a yearly basis, so long as I vary only one aspect at a time. Of course, genetics also plays a big role. I was eating less eggs, but then increased the number to ten to twelve a week (and they were mostly duck eggs). I decided that was too much, for health as well as body-response reasons, and now reduced them to eight a week. But we do have our own poultry, which are free range and fed good food.

In general, for cholesterol the best approach is to shift big time to fish from red meat (or to vegetarian). Unless of course if you are in the northern hemisphere, where the toxin levels in fish is quite high, especially after the Japanese nuclear reactor accident.

Jahn

Re: Dairy and eggs
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 06:40:34 AM »
We have been told that eggs and full cream dairy increase your cholesterol.

Dairy:
First was the move away from butter and cream. I think now most think margarine is bad for health, although some sources claim it is no longer made in the old way with bad fats. But then people moved to 'spreadable' butter, which does include vegetable oils. We also have the introduction of olive oil into the butter scene, or just on its own in solidified form (not sure how they accomplish that). On olive oil, in Australia it has been found many supermarket brands of Mediterranean cold-pressed olive oil is actually only 'pure', not cold pressed. So we now only purchase Australian olive oil, although there have been claims it is often old oil. Personally I rarely eat butter, and we have moved to good quality cold-pressed flaxseed oil as a 'sprinkle' on vegies (it's supposed to be one of the best oils for good cholesterol).

The old school said "don't eat that much eggs, because it might increase your cholesterol". Today that is pure nonsens - our body create our own cholesterol, and the effect of high cholesterol in the blood is not yet completely documented. One can eat as many eggs that one want to.

Old school said "don't eat that much fat, especially not saturated fat". Today we (researchers in the front, that know the latest results from proper studies) say: That fat, is very good, especially in Olive oil, in cheese of all kinds, and real butter. About 35% of the daily intake of calories should be from fat.
Olive oil is an area of itself, what is recommended is Virgin (cold pressed oil), but all variants is kind of healthy.

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 08:44:21 AM »
Yes, and there has been even more studies recently on the health benefits of olive oil. Just on olive oil, it has been considered not appropriate for frying or high heating because it has a low smoke point. Thus it became recommended to move to sunflower or canola oil for frying. But I heard an academic expert on oils not so long ago saying that concerns about heating olive oil were rubbish - it is perfectly fine for frying. Nonetheless, I wouldn't use it for deep frying, probably because it's too expensive for that use.

Canola oil used to be rape seed oil, which was used as a rat poison. The huge commercial value of canola is that it has substances in it which not only kills rats but also insects, so it doesn't need pesticides to grow. Thus someone in Canada discovered how to extract the toxic elements from the oil, so they called the finished product 'canola'. It has good fats, but I'm still sceptical, probably on the basis of scepticism of all processed foods.

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 10:40:32 AM »
I'm an egg-person. I lost a lot of weight back in my 20's and 30's starting my day off with eggs --- and the way that release of protein works on the production of blood sugar DOES make me less hungry during the day. I forget it sometimes, but even now, when I eat eggs I feel SO good and fulfilled. I'll take them any way - poached, boiled, fried, scrambled. All hail the mighty egg!
Not here, not there, but everywhere - always right before your eyes.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 01:50:54 AM »
In the US, this is the best stuff on the grocery-shelves:

Fage Greek, plain. It was originally made in Greece, but is now made in Belgium.
Not here, not there, but everywhere - always right before your eyes.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Jahn

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 05:59:57 AM »
I'm an egg-person. I lost a lot of weight back in my 20's and 30's starting my day off with eggs --- and the way that release of protein works on the production of blood sugar DOES make me less hungry during the day. I forget it sometimes, but even now, when I eat eggs I feel SO good and fulfilled. I'll take them any way - poached, boiled, fried, scrambled. All hail the mighty egg!

I have gone deep in my research regarding eggs. Now the thing is that you sometimes see this label: This Product contains 100 calories per portion, or something like that, Okey!

Now these statements are always built on machine calculations, but our physical body differs compared to the machine.

When there is a high presence of carbohydrates the equation is Close to 1 to 1. Meaning the intake you make is what the body will get.

But when it comes down to products with a high protein content, the body has to work hard to transform the energy. That means that the energy equivalent for eggs is quite low, about 70 %.

So if an egg contain 100 energy units, your body will need 30 units to transform it to suite your body, and the surplus of that initial 100 kcal would be 70kcal.

Jahn

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2017, 06:06:08 AM »
Yes, and there has been even more studies recently on the health benefits of olive oil. Just on olive oil, it has been considered not appropriate for frying or high heating because it has a low smoke point. Thus it became recommended to move to sunflower or canola oil for frying. But I heard an academic expert on oils not so long ago saying that concerns about heating olive oil were rubbish - it is perfectly fine for frying. Nonetheless, I wouldn't use it for deep frying, probably because it's too expensive for that use.

Canola oil used to be rape seed oil, which was used as a rat poison. The huge commercial value of canola is that it has substances in it which not only kills rats but also insects, so it doesn't need pesticides to grow. Thus someone in Canada discovered how to extract the toxic elements from the oil, so they called the finished product 'canola'. It has good fats, but I'm still sceptical, probably on the basis of scepticism of all processed foods.

That is right, Olive oil should be used rather cold, in salads and the like, not in the fry pan. Oil and fat for high heat is best performed by pure butter, or oils that claim to be good for high heat, for instance the rape seed oil, used  in Swede. That oil works well at temps around 250 degrees Celsius. 

Jahn

The most dangerous stuff in diet
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2017, 06:08:49 AM »
is ... sugar.

Not fat, though there are some fat to avoid.

Refined sugar, I knew as early as 1976: The history of the white poison - sugar.

Ke-ke wan

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2017, 01:32:25 AM »
The old school said "don't eat that much eggs, because it might increase your cholesterol". Today that is pure nonsens - our body create our own cholesterol, and the effect of high cholesterol in the blood is not yet completely documented. One can eat as many eggs that one want to.

Old school said "don't eat that much fat, especially not saturated fat". Today we (researchers in the front, that know the latest results from proper studies) say: That fat, is very good, especially in Olive oil, in cheese of all kinds, and real butter. About 35% of the daily intake of calories should be from fat.
Olive oil is an area of itself, what is recommended is Virgin (cold pressed oil), but all variants is kind of healthy.

Thanks Jahn,  I wanted to say this, but you wrote it all out perfectly.  Nutritionists need some more training.  in canada we have something called a food Guide.  It tells you how many servings of each food group you need.  It lists dairy as a food group and bread!  Very old ideas. 
There is no human in the world that NEEDS dairy to survive (We are not cows, or goats) and bread is a filler not a food group!
Fermented dairy is ok, because your body can tolerate it easier.   

They also still recommend margarine, which is poison. 

Ke-ke wan

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2017, 01:37:50 AM »

Please do not use canola oil or feed it to your family :)
20 years of working in kitchens shows how canola oil is turned into a gross thick gluey sludge when heated that yuo cant scrape off with a putty knife.  Imagine what it does inside your body.

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
  • Love You ALL To The Moon and Back...
    • SIR
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2024, 06:27:08 PM »
Dont trust the Heart Foundation. If you mean American Heart Association. Or any foundation. Dont trust them. I swear to God these people who say you can have dairy and eggs and yogurt are good are getting PAID by the meat and dairy industry. Check it out their sponsors. Thats why even tho meat and dairy has all kind of fat and cholesterol, it can lead to heart attacks, they promote these things on their website.

They get paid to say these things.

You can get non-dairy yogurt. Also, many in the world are lactose intolerant. The natural way is actually lactose intolerance.

Have almond or soy milk.
"A warrior doesn't seek anything for his solace, nor can he possibly leave anything to chance. A warrior actually affects the outcome of events by the force of his awareness and his unbending intent." - don Juan

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
  • Love You ALL To The Moon and Back...
    • SIR
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2024, 08:40:51 PM »
Let me add. Oat milk. Now for like smoothies or if I have cereal. I have almond milk.  But I wracked brain what to put in coffee, or what to order at Starbucks. Almond milk is too plain. Soy milk is kind of rich. But I’ll have it for yogurt. But oat milk for coffee creamer and latte I like. And yes I cut out eggs. The yolk is huge in cholesterol. I use olive oil and try to use very little. I need it when I stir fry and use brown rice. Margarine eh. I’m still trying to find an adequate solution for that.
"A warrior doesn't seek anything for his solace, nor can he possibly leave anything to chance. A warrior actually affects the outcome of events by the force of his awareness and his unbending intent." - don Juan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk