Author Topic: Bharatanatyam: Parshwanath Upadhye  (Read 113 times)

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
Bharatanatyam: Parshwanath Upadhye
« on: April 03, 2018, 08:04:57 PM »
This is a video I took of a performance we saw in Kerala. Males have only recently been bharatanatyam dancers, and this man is famous for adding to the defining of a male style. We weren't able to see many of the performances at this festival, so I chose this guy due to his youth - all the other bharatanatyam dancers on different nights were much older, but I feel a dancer needs the suppleness for bharatanatyam as it is such a physically demanding dance style, but also emotional, as you will see.

I have also tweaked the audio track to make it more audiophile quality, as it was only recorded by my video camera.

This is really a form of puja. A few things to note - watch as he tries to hide, then gets caught by the arms in an impossible situation. Finally, he accepts his fate, and begins to dance within the shackles, only to have them release ... just before he sees god. Keep in mind, like all these dances, he switches between the divinity and the supplicant. Again also, the divinity is Krishna - you will see him holding an imaginary flute occasionally.

https://vimeo.com/262914242

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
Re: Bharatanatyam: Parshwanath Upadhye
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 02:42:49 PM »
Beautiful!
Not here, not there, but everywhere - always right before your eyes.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk