Author Topic: gurdjieff as esoteric christianity?  (Read 132 times)

Offline Nick

• Rishi
  • Life Branches.
gurdjieff as esoteric christianity?
« on: May 08, 2018, 09:06:23 AM »
Okay, so had a discussion with some people recently and they were arguing the G.'s teachings are esoteric Christianity. Though no one was able to point to him out right, beyond the shadow of a doubt saying this. I do know at one point he basically says, something like the practices of ancient, maybe pre-sand egypt where equivalent to esoteric christianity, and that what he was teaching was a revival of that... If I remember right.

What do you folks think. Is G's path, esoteric Christianity?
"As long as we confuse the myriad forms of the divine lila with reality, without perceiving the unity of Brahman underlying all these forms, we are under the spell of maya..."
 -Fritjof Capra, The Tao of Physics: An Exploration of the Parallels between Modern Physics and Eastern Mysticism

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
Re: gurdjieff as esoteric christianity?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 11:37:37 AM »
Bennett is the best info on Gurdjieff's sources of knowledge. In general, it is what is called Northern Sufi - highly influenced by Tibetan mysticism. His principle location of learning was the remote ranges of Turkestan.

I doubt you could say his method was Christian. You could argue that early Christianity was influenced by the same spiritual traditions that G sought out. But I'm struggling to think of any references he made to Christ - you could google that.

Offline Nick

• Rishi
  • Life Branches.
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 01:33:44 PM »
This is more or less what I thought. I've googled a bit, and references to anything Christian are very loose. But then I'm no expert on Gurdjieff, thanks for the clarification.

I had stumbled across some people on FB who seem to have turned G's path into a religion. They are quite the dogmatic bunch. Sad how attractive dogma is. 
"As long as we confuse the myriad forms of the divine lila with reality, without perceiving the unity of Brahman underlying all these forms, we are under the spell of maya..."
 -Fritjof Capra, The Tao of Physics: An Exploration of the Parallels between Modern Physics and Eastern Mysticism

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 07:46:23 PM »
As far as I know, the legitimate tradition left by G are predominantly into dance. There is also an extensive body of written work left from G's days, which is not available to the public in any popular published way.

Yes, dogma does seem to set in eventually - people like that.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk