Author Topic: Neo-Advaita  (Read 665 times)

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
Neo-Advaita
« on: February 07, 2024, 04:10:16 AM »
Neo-Advaita

I headed this Neo-Advaita, but it’s just a term to pin these thoughts together. In fact, this is much broader than the Neo- Advaita movement, yet that can be charged with the guilt of spreading the modern fashion of ‘spirituality the easy way’. But let’s go back a little because there are antecedents which need acknowledgement.

Immediatism

[Wikipedia] ‘In American Gurus: From Transcendentalism to New Age Religion, Versluis describes the emergence of immediatist gurus: gurus who are not connected to any of the traditional religions, and promise instant enlightenment and liberation. These include Eckhart Tolle, Ram Dass, Adi Da, and Andrew Cohen. "Immediatism" refers to "a religious assertion of spontaneous, direct, unmediated spiritual insight into reality (typically with little or no prior training), which some term 'enlightenment'." According to Versluis, immediatism is typical for Americans, who want "the fruit of religion, but not its obligations." Versluis points to Ralph Waldo Emerson as its key ancestor, who "emphasized the possibility of immediate, direct spiritual knowledge and power." ’

The term Neo-Advaita is useful, but in the realisation-traditions across the globe, it has been a constant companion to the structured, often ritualised path of preparation before ‘jumping off the cliff’, so to speak. I don’t know the European antecedents that Versluis refers to in his work, but I can explain where it manifests in Eastern spiritual culture.

India has had this contradistinction for a long time, which has more to do with the etheric ethos of the land – it produces, for unknown reasons, multiple examples of extraordinarily gifted saints. There is a long history of spiritual savants, who claimed enlightenment from an early age and lived outside society. They are highly revered in India.

The first problem with these prodigies, like all prodigies, is that they ‘arrive’ without effort or understanding, and too often claim this is possible for everyone. The second problem is that they are so convinced of their ‘arrival’ that they lack the will to pursue the path further. They are responsible for the illusion that there is a threshold of enlightenment – a before and after – and become enchanted with the vision of non-dual realisation: that position of perception where everything is a flow of energy, where nothing matters, no past, present or future, nowhere to go, nowhere to come from. They fail to see that this is simply a window into eternity, accessible at any point on the evolutionary path, but not the final goal of that path.

These savants have always been in competition with the priesthood – in India, the brahmins – who would lose their livelihoods and power were everyone to hive off into the clouds. Vedic tradition acknowledged there was a point where aspirants, when ready, need to jettison all shackles and release into moksha. But they strenuously hold that both individuals and community need steps of spiritual growth, and binding influences to guide us through life in a safe way.

Two of the most prominent leaders who broke with the rigidity of the Vedic/brahmanical restrictions, were Buddha and Adi Shankara. Both emphasised non-dual realisation of moksha or nirvana, and yet sustained the structured path. Buddha the most know of, and Shankara was the most forceful advocate of Advaita Vedanta. In the end, philosophical successors resolved their differences and, in principle, agreed that both believed in the same goal, even if the road to it varied slightly.

Later, Buddhism had its immediatist split, with the instant, unprepared-enlightenment developing in Chinese Chan before becoming Zen in Japan. The Great Debate in Tibet, where the king asked both sides – Immediatism from China and traditional stages/preparation path from India – to come to Tibet and debate the preferred method. The Indian side won, and Tibet became aligned with Indian Buddhism of the staged approach. Meanwhile, Advita Vedanta split into numerous streams, and it has been claimed that the immediatist development originated with Ramakrishna, but more specifically his devotee Vivekananda. Vivekananda undertook to bring the Indian knowledge of Advita to the West. To accomplish this, he needed to free it of its Vedic encrustations, to purify and deliver the core teaching in a way that the West could understand. He called this Neo-Vedanta.

Tibetan lamas undertook a similar task, somewhat more unwillingly, due to having been exiled from Tibet, they felt pressured to simplify their tradition to share it with western aspirants. Then people like Lama Yeshe took this further and focused exclusively on teaching to westerners.

One can see here a pattern, where individual saints or yogis freed themselves from their deep traditional views, to bring a teaching closer to what the West desperately yearned. But then from the Hindu stream, something happened from the other side, where individual westerners with access to these spiritual masters, took their teachings and distilled them further, in the process stripping away any vestige of preparatory obligations, and spreading a highly popular form of Advaita. Essentially claiming that we are already enlightened, and all we need to do is acknowledge that, and bingo! – there was nothing more to be done.

At this point, it would be useful to summarise the distinction between these various approaches.

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
Re: Neo-Advaita
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2024, 04:13:47 AM »
Traditional Advaita.
The process expected of a student of spiritual enlightenment, involves studying texts, contemplating on their truths, pondering the principles deeply, then becoming one with these ‘truths’ experientially. But from the guru’s viewpoint, it is held to be dangerous transmitting the more profound teachings until the student is ready. In general, what this ‘readiness’ means can be described as:
•   Discernment. Capable of distinguishing real and unreal, enduring and ephemeral.
•   Nonattachment. Severance from emotional identity with possessions, desires and sympathies/antipathies.
•   Virtues. Equanimity, compassion, self-discipline, patience and freedom from anger.
•   Hunger for spirit. Intense yet cold determination to sustain the path.

Buddhism
The Four Noble Truths - the truths or realities for the "spiritually worthy ones":
1.   Dukkha - the truth of instability or suffering from grasping.
2.   Samudaya - the truth of the cause of suffering being craving and attachment.
3.   Nirodha - the truth of the end of suffering through confinement or letting go of craving and attachment.
4.   Marga - the truth of the path that leads to the end of suffering: the Noble Eightfold Path.

The Noble Eightfold path: right view, right aspiration, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness, right concentration.

Jaina
Jain ascetics observe fives vows:
1.   Ahiṃsā (non-violence)
2.   Satya (speaking truth)
3.   Asteya (no stealing)
4.   Brahmacharya (no sex)
5.   Aparigraha (non-attachment and no possessions)

Neo-Advaita
•   Everything beyond the reality of ‘self’ is illusion. There is no use for spiritual development, practices, enlightenment or struggle for truth, as there is no ‘I’, no path, no guru, only the presence of eternal ‘self’ that is not.
•   All yearning for the spiritual is ego. The development of will is ego, the love of knowledge and those who have it is ego, growth is ego, struggle is ego. Know this, drop your search for truth and simply ‘be’. Just be here now.
•   Morality is illusion. There is no good or bad, virtue or guilt, right or wrong.
•   Being embedded in ego, the world, and entrenched in desire, is no hindrance to simultaneously being enlightened, because all of that is illusion.

Jaina, Advaita and Buddhism originate from India. It is a curious matter that in essence, or in emphasis, the only commonly known spiritual religions that focus on complete freedom, ultimate transcendence of the world, come from the subcontinent. There are numerous subtleties of difference within and between these traditions, yet the common essence could be seen as forms of advaita: one supreme reality while the transient phenomenal world is illusion.

It is this stream of spirituality that as Neo-Advaita was propagated and promoted in the West, and which infused New-Age Spirituality. New-Age Spirituality had other influences, like shamanism and European magic, but the potency of Neo-Advaita provided the philosophical foundation for much that underpins many western spiritual teachings and urban gurus.

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2024, 04:17:24 AM »
Advantages of Neo-Advaita

It looks, from an historic overview, that the seeding of Indian-orientated philosophy into the West was probably a timely influence. There had been many threads of influence within the European philosophical community over that last few centuries, but this had not filtered down into the popular level. Western civilisation was, and continues to be, suffering from a dearth of meaning beyond the temporal pursuit of power, pleasure and money. Advaita, a non-dual realisation and philosophy of reality, is one thread of nourishment for a spiritually deprived culture. Christianity, quite simply, is not an answer to this existential vacuum.

Disadvantages of Neo-Advaita

There are obvious problems with Neo-Advaita, like superficiality, distortion of traditions, justification of laziness and spiritual consumerism, dilettantism. If that were all, we could easily say: thus has always been the way, and unless a seeker has an inner yearning that won’t be satisfied with imitations or deception, then that’s simply how the world is.

Unfortunately, the degradation of the quest for realisation of potential-of-being, goes deeper than these distractions. It has the serious effect of undermining an earnest aspiration because the principles of Advaita are true. But due to them being ingested before the necessary preparations and ripening of spirit, a spiritual disorder results which can take a very long time to repair – possibly beyond this life.

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2024, 04:39:33 AM »
My personal view

Frankly, I consider the whole spiritual field originating from India to be ineffectual. I know, many will find this surprising as I espouse a lot of Hindu and Buddhist philosophies, have travelled through India for fifty years, and it has been essential in my own path of growth. Nonetheless, that remains my view. The reason I have been able to successfully leverage off the Indian architype, is because I arrive into it with a strategy and practice pre-formed and gained from a totally different source – Indian physical experience and philosophy offer me the data which I process from my own developmental blueprint.

My reasons for rejecting the Indian ‘way’ are as follows.

Advaita
Look above at the general precepts of discernment, nonattachment, virtues and hunger for spirit. All of these are conceptual qualities. This is one of the most common critiques I have of Indian traditions – they are futilely over-optimistic at the power of the mind to produce lasting, deep transformations of being.

The complexity of our being is too extensive to expect effective results from thoughts, or non-thoughts, alone. We are composed of layers upon layers, and the really difficult task for any seeker of truth, is how on earth can we penetrate below the top few superficial layers? This is a perpetual and confounding question. No arm-chair contemplation or mind-freeing exercises would ever have the potency to pierce our intransigent inter-layer buffers nor permeate the vastness of our subconscious being. That doesn’t mean the pondering of profound ideas is without merit, just that it alone is ridiculously inadequate for the task that presents to us.

Then we have the ‘virtues’: equanimity, compassion, self-discipline, patience and freedom from anger. Honestly, who do we think we are kidding? None of these can be attained directly. They can only come as a consequence of penetrating experience and transformation, attained after subjecting oneself to the most creative techniques of personal change, which are not time-out experiences like one gets from a workshop, but practical shifts that are applied consistently over a lifetime.

Nonattachment: this is one of the greatest misconceptions of all religious traditions who espouse this quality. Like with the virtues, it cannot be attained directly. It also, is a consequence of having passed through thresholds of visceral realisations – not mental realisations. The distinction between mental and visceral realisations lies at the heart of all effective spiritual traditions. We know when we have passed a visceral threshold, usually after a devastating illness or an intense struggle, that lasted years, if not decades. We know, because when it happens, we feel it not as a light-bulb event but as a flat, cold awareness in the stomach that from this point forward, life has irreversibly changed.

Buddhism
The first three of the ‘Noble Truths’ (a name steeped in pretence) suffer from the same superficiality of mentation I described above for Advaita. The last, is the Eight-fold Path - right view, right aspiration, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness, right concentration. My complaint about Buddhism is that it is steeped in lists of things to do or not to do. Western adherents don’t realise just how petty and inane these long lists of dos and don’ts are for the Eastern cultures who practice Buddhism.

I know the eight precepts have extended meanings, applications and attendant practices, but really, so much of Buddhist ‘method’ can be distilled down to ‘being a good person’. That just makes me vomit! I assume he was a product of his time, but the pedestrian, conforming to societal and community standards of compliant behaviour, and goddie-goddie ‘school prefect’ profile, all glorified as essential for ultimate realisation, is frankly pathetic and absurd.

The only ‘method’ Buddhism recommends, and classes as imperative, which has concrete value, is meditation. For those deeply serious, meditation must be practised over very long sessions and years of dedication. This dedication is also intrinsic to the Indian yogic path, so it has a long pedigree way back to Indus Valley Civilisation days – it is the pre-eminent emblem of Indian spiritual endeavour. Nonetheless, India is not the only land which realised the fundamental technique of inner silence through sustained physical, emotional and mental suspension of movement.

But meditation alone is not sufficient a path of spiritual growth. It ignores the fact that we have been born into a material world in which we must act. The path of inaction alone is as one-sided as the path of action alone, especially if both aren’t interwoven and engaged with through the lens of ultimately insightful technique. It is not what we do but how we do it, that makes all the difference.

Jaina
The problem with Jaina is that it is a static philosophy. By that I mean it lacks dynamic subtleties. It presents the human as a bowl – fill it with bad things and it will decay, fill with good and it will thrive until eventually its monad rises through the sheer lightness of being from expunging all the dross of life. It rejects the concept of intent.

All those rules of non-violence, speaking truth, no stealing, sex or possessions, fail to realise that it’s not what we do by why and how that causes the dross to accumulate. I just don’t buy that kind of dogmatic, simplistic, and ultimately ‘purist’ path. I expect Jaina is the cause of so much purism today, in the East and West. India is obsessed with purity in almost every aspect of life. But in the West, we have these ideas of toxicity. So many people are preoccupied with avoiding anything, like vaccines, that they believe will make their bodies toxic, flocking to de-tox programs and lifestyles. In distinction, my path is tantric – I accept the world, enter into the world, allow the world to enter into me.

This goes back to historical methods of immortality. The first approach was to find a way to sustain the life of the physical body forever – injecting the temporal into the infinite. The second was to identify and insert critical elements of infinity into the physical being, mostly by shape-shifting the physical being into extremely long-lived entities. The third method of immortality was discovered after witnessing the horror encountered by the proponents of the other two methods. This method reassigns identity from the temporal being, which is the common locus of identity, into the energetic kernel of that being, then opening the body and allowing death to flood in without resistance.

What this third method implied, was specifically not building a barrier to impurity and attempting to sustain a pure inviolability, but opening oneself to the world and transforming that energy in a way that strengthened the spiritual immune system. That is tantra – that the world is not seen as pure or impure, but as a partner in the quest of ultimate freedom.

No sex. This is nothing new, and it can be found as an injunction across almost all religious tradition in the world. It has caused so much trouble in all those religions because it asks the impossible. Even if a person succeeds in denying themselves sex, serious psychological distortions are likely to eventuate. The reason for this injunction is obvious, sex drains so much of our life-energy, both from the physical and mental manifestations, that the cost is unacceptable for a serious seeker of realisation.

The quest requires more energy than we have, and many clever techniques must be employed to store sufficient energy for this task. To waste it on sex is insane, let alone the effect of having children, which can drain even more energy. Unfortunately, placing a block against sex is asking for trouble because it has been set into our blueprint by the species. Everyone has a sexual drive, even Jesus and Buddha, the Pope and the Dalai Lama, so to smother this is dangerous. And it’s not necessary.

So much time has been wasted on this precept. The solution is simple. Firstly, don’t over-indulge in sex, or anything for that matter. Secondly, accept it – sexuality is perfectly natural. Enjoy it and don’t hang all kinds of agendas to it. Just keep it to a minimum, because there is an inceptual energy concealed in sex that can drain for years, especially when sexuality is not accompanied by genuine love. I’m not talking of ‘true love’, whatever that is, but simply a relationship that channels uplifting positivity. That channel remains open for so long after sex with another, be sure it is a source of inner joy, not guilt or anger.

Neo-Advaita
This new movement failed to recognise the fact that we have two eyes, two ears, two arms, two legs, two halves of the brain: we are not a unity but intrinsically a duality in the entity which we have incarnated into in this world. To deny that is to deny reality. But within that duality, the difference is between action, grasp, thought, structure, past, future, judgement, discernment on one side, and unfiltered perception, undefined identity, boundlessness, creative source on the other.

A practice that develops the whole being must foster both sides, and integrate them. One side is duality and the other side nonduality. The task of spiritual development is to utilise the duality side to build will, and to drop the duality side to experience nonduality. The simplest story to encapsulate this, is that of the seeker walking up a mountain path when he met an old man carrying a load of firewood on his back. In despair at his spiritual confusion, the seeker burst out and asked the old man, “What is enlightenment?” Whereupon the old man dropped his load on the ground. Then the seeker asked, “But what then?” The old man picked his load up again and walked on down the path.

The story has two main elements: the dropping and picking up. But people fail to realise the third critical element: the path.

Nonetheless, I find critiquing Neo-Advaita suffers from the exact same flaw as all of these Indian spiritual traditions, referred to above. The flaw is that the whole approach is ineffective. Indian spirituality originated from the life conditions of the subcontinent. For thousands of years, the natural forces created conditions that were totally unpredictable and unmanageable. No matter what, weather, in particular, but also hordes of plunderers, devastated or nourished the subcontinent. The dominant realisation was one of futility of control.

This led to a philosophy of samsara – eternal recurrence of the wheel of suffering. The only resolution, shared by all religious teachers, was to step off the wheel. There was never any solution which incorporated controlling the wheel, and building a lasting growth and evolutionary direction. Except the dominant belief that a being ‘good’ in this life will lead to a better birth in the next – the slow progress of incarnations until one reached an incarnation in which the conditions were ripe to achieve stepping off the wheel – freedom from the eternal recurrence of suffering.

That philosophy is unsuitable for aspirants who have grown up in a culture that worships meritocracy and the belief that action can produce lasting benefit. This is a European theme of identity, as essentially one of agency – that we have agency in life and the world. That concept was totally absent from the Indian subcontinent.

What is needed today, is a spiritual philosophy of development that focuses on will, empowerment, integration of both sides of our being, combined with the power of intent to merge the temporal and infinite.

But to do this, we must form a completely different approach to the old Indian model of spirituality.
Winner Winner x 1 Love Love x 1 View List

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
  • Love You ALL To The Moon and Back...
    • SIR
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2024, 08:34:32 AM »
Thats a lot and breaks so much down. So in assessment - what are people really looking for with spiritual growth? I think folks DO want to be free of suffering and be happy. I do think they think about death, and can be concerned what happens when we die. Fear of it can be scary. I think people want personal power, to have some kind of control over their lives in some way. I think people are afraid of being wrong, sure. So lots of people get out and about and try to investigate. I think people can get very confused cause when they look at spiritual "answers" everyone has an answer, and some philosophies go together, and others are totally contradictory to each other. In the end how sure is anyone, of anything? Then there are those who write it all off, become atheists. Or some feel there is something out there, or inward, but dont care. Of course.

So to me where im at - ive got a pretty big pantheon now that I pay respect to, to express different things. I just do what Bruce Lee said: "Absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, integrate that which is your own." I feel THAT has been some of the wisest advise, Ive ever heard. That advise keeps me sane. Stops from spiritual bypassing, or becoming totally egoic and arrogant, or aiming for the wrong thing, or exhalting myself with power, and so forth.

We have a Will, and we have Power, and we have it yet have to earn it, and then we gotta be wise how we use it. Impeccably. So im not necessarily worried too hard about the concepts or religions. Yes, of course I want to do what works. But what works for ME might not work for others. I do see the warrior path CAN work for most anybody tho. Where that leads them that is up to them, the spirit, and probably some issues they had prior to coming here. But yeah, what Bruce said. Thats how I have been, and will continue to do this.
"A warrior doesn't seek anything for his solace, nor can he possibly leave anything to chance. A warrior actually affects the outcome of events by the force of his awareness and his unbending intent." - don Juan

Offline Bornamber

• Pir
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2024, 11:27:16 AM »
That is what I was wondering as well Ellen. What are people looking for with spiritual growth? Freedom from what?

Is there a natural urge towards freedom? I’ve seen it as such …

The duality … material lifeless being that cannot DO anything bc it’s just that. Lifeless material …. HOWEVER it is then  imbued with Time and Change (the other side of the duality) and that time and change allows for adaptation … evolution and the “impression” of living and choice. 

I see these two sides constantly at a conflict of sorts … and that sense or drive towards freedom is just the innate knowing that if there isn’t forward momentum one falls back into “pure material” which loses the ability to choose. Now you’re in a cage. Trapped.

But what started this momentum forward?? Towards the ability to choose and adapt? I guess that’s where religion comes in.

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
    • SIR
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2024, 11:50:51 AM »
The concept also seems contrary to being an individual. The warrior wants to retain their individuality and not lose their awareness, and experiences. We lose it each time we go in the recycle bin, and its going to take its toll energetically. Now while some of this may be true due to holographic nature, one soul, many reflections, it is still so, obviously, we are individuals. Perhaps with a whole lot of quantum entanglement, but individuals. Duality has a purpose and it seems it can be looked at as a dirty thing, or some kind of failure, to be interacting in it, or not realize non-duality. Thats where it gets weird to me. How are you supposed to get past it, or even, why? Dont we lose something vital if we are so hell bent on escaping duality?

Just a thought.
"A warrior doesn't seek anything for his solace, nor can he possibly leave anything to chance. A warrior actually affects the outcome of events by the force of his awareness and his unbending intent." - don Juan

Offline Nick

• Rishi
  • Life Branches.
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2024, 04:34:07 PM »
Everything you've said here makes good sense to me.

My own interest in these traditions, in part, stems from an interest in finding a place for the intellect on the spiritual path. Where in the paths you've mentioned people utilize the intellect as a key part of the process and this was much like my path as a child before I found the Toltec path, after I found the Toltec path, around the age of 17 I spend the proceeding years at odds with my own mind. I took the message of the central importance of inner silence to mean I should be internally silent always. Despite what people in those group seemed to think, when I wasn't writing posts I'm this group (and my participation in this group wasn't nearly as much as many others), I was largely forcing my mind to be silent every opportunity I could muster. Which resulted in many spiritual experiences, the development of the capacity for an iron will, and nearly stopping the world. It also resulted in a continual sense that I had left behind some aspect of myself, this aspect was much more than just the intellectual side of me, and honestly I don't at this moment have the desire to try to describe this right now... as likely I'd do so just to attempt to justify something that is important to my personal path, and really isn't anyone's business but my own. And honestly I've done enough of that, trying to gain approval here in Soma... which is a big part of the problem, my path for sssooo long hasn't really felt like MY path. Between my tenacious desire to dive whole heartily into the Toltec path, which had much merit to it, but also resulted in me leaving behind aspects of myself without even considering integration... I mean this is how I was raised it was always the way in our house to just up and move from one place to the other, and then I never felt connected fully to anyone, which also has had its merits.... interestingly now as I work to reclaim my path fully, I find I finally have what many would call healthy family dynamics, which I'd never really fully admitted I wanted, and it is nice, it's also a bit stifling in ways, but still very valuable for my healing process, and provides nice symmetry to my journey...

But yeah, some of this wasn't really relevant to the theme of the thread just me getting some thoughts out.
"As long as we confuse the myriad forms of the divine lila with reality, without perceiving the unity of Brahman underlying all these forms, we are under the spell of maya..."
 -Fritjof Capra, The Tao of Physics: An Exploration of the Parallels between Modern Physics and Eastern Mysticism
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
    • SIR
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2024, 05:55:02 PM »
I hope you come back to this, wondering why you feel your path isnt your own path? I would hope you would realize it is.

As far as approval in soma (dont want to take it off topic). I know michael picked say for nal, who he felt for a reason. But those reasons didnt sit will. Michael, you do remember what happened when Rudy got admittance, right? Im sure you had to sit with that and realize either letting him in was a mistake, or not letting him in initially was. Cause once he found out about it, it put a very bad taste in his mouth and, in actuality, it may have ruined him spiritually cause, didnt he become an atheist later? I know his leaving was not a good one.

No one is free of mistakes.

But I did always have an issue with the elitist mentality that formed. That part, was a disaster. Now the good side. We did have some decent journeys in nal. I will give it that. But the elitist deal which there WAS one, was not good. I wouldnt say it was a total failure. But perhaps soma would have been better off without its existence.

Thats just me.

Like when i was both in and out of the section was annoying. Or kicked to restless soma.

Its ok. Thats old. Not trying to rehash. Just giving some feels for Nick how I felt about it. Now each member having a private section with michael im cool with that. Some things dont need to be anyones business. Like when I had to work out issues after losing my kids - that was helpful. Ive actually looked over my old shit and im like looking how naive and a mess I was cause my sister nailed me in my achilles tendon. But no matter. You have always been valuable in here. Dont forget that. You are much smarter than a lot of people in any spiritual community really. Should give yourself a lot of credit how committed you are. And the fact you dont give up.

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2024, 06:13:59 PM »
BTW Nick, as I am reading this I'm eating onion pakoras...

Everything you've said here makes good sense to me.

My own interest in these traditions, in part, stems from an interest in finding a place for the intellect on the spiritual path. Where in the paths you've mentioned people utilize the intellect as a key part of the process and this was much like my path as a child before I found the Toltec path, after I found the Toltec path, around the age of 17 I spend the proceeding years at odds with my own mind. I took the message of the central importance of inner silence to mean I should be internally silent always. Despite what people in those group seemed to think, when I wasn't writing posts I'm this group (and my participation in this group wasn't nearly as much as many others), I was largely forcing my mind to be silent every opportunity I could muster. Which resulted in many spiritual experiences, the development of the capacity for an iron will, and nearly stopping the world. It also resulted in a continual sense that I had left behind some aspect of myself, this aspect was much more than just the intellectual side of me, and honestly I don't at this moment have the desire to try to describe this right now... as likely I'd do so just to attempt to justify something that is important to my personal path, and really isn't anyone's business but my own. And honestly I've done enough of that, trying to gain approval here in Soma... which is a big part of the problem, my path for sssooo long hasn't really felt like MY path. Between my tenacious desire to dive whole heartily into the Toltec path, which had much merit to it, but also resulted in me leaving behind aspects of myself without even considering integration... I mean this is how I was raised it was always the way in our house to just up and move from one place to the other, and then I never felt connected fully to anyone, which also has had its merits.... interestingly now as I work to reclaim my path fully, I find I finally have what many would call healthy family dynamics, which I'd never really fully admitted I wanted, and it is nice, it's also a bit stifling in ways, but still very valuable for my healing process, and provides nice symmetry to my journey...

But yeah, some of this wasn't really relevant to the theme of the thread just me getting some thoughts out.

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
    • SIR
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2024, 06:25:36 PM »

I had to look that up. That looks extremely unhealthy!

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
    • SIR
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2024, 06:55:16 PM »
Course I can’t judge. I did plenty unhealthy prior. Now each day I’m insanely conscious what I eat. My fridge is filled with produce and things. But I feel way better than ever. But yeah that must be their version of our onion rings.

Offline Nick

• Rishi
  • Life Branches.
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2024, 02:55:38 AM »
I had to look that up. That looks extremely unhealthy!

Not sure what you saw when you looked them up???

They are basically chunks of relatively thinly sliced onion coated in Chickpea flour and then fried.... I guess the frying part could be what you mean? Personally when we made them we did not deep fry them, we put about an inch of... I think we used avocado oil, if we didn't that's the one we should have used I usually use it cause it's healthy and has a higher smoke point than the extra virgin olive I use for most everything else. Then we flip then to get evenly cooked. I mean sure probably not an every day thing to do, but damn where they yummy!
"As long as we confuse the myriad forms of the divine lila with reality, without perceiving the unity of Brahman underlying all these forms, we are under the spell of maya..."
 -Fritjof Capra, The Tao of Physics: An Exploration of the Parallels between Modern Physics and Eastern Mysticism
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline Nick

• Rishi
  • Life Branches.
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2024, 03:03:45 AM »
Course I can’t judge. I did plenty unhealthy prior. Now each day I’m insanely conscious what I eat. My fridge is filled with produce and things. But I feel way better than ever. But yeah that must be their version of our onion rings.

So yeah I looked it up, been awhile since I read about fried foods, which I do rarely eat. But yeah I guess frying something can expose you to carcinogens, but that seems most a problem when burning and or frying in the oil for a long time. Not sure that was a problem when we made these though did overcook a couple of them. Still 90% of what we eat is super healthy, and I can't eat nuts now cause of a severe nut allergy, can't eat wheat, lactose (I cheat with that a tiny bit), and for now anyway can't do spicy cause of bad acid reflux... sigh. I think I figured out that maybe I'm actually drinking to much water though and that can cause several of the IBS type symptoms I have. Did yah know apparently even 8 cups of water is more than we are supposed to intake? The 8 cups thing apparently was 3 or 4 cups from liquid, 3 or 4 from food, and the remaining our body makes internally without our help. Or so I've read

Offline Nick

• Rishi
  • Life Branches.
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2024, 03:08:41 AM »

Sssooo yummy!

I need to remake then with that, ah, I think it was chala seasoning stuff.

I also need to find my next food adventure... not necessarily Indian food but something yummy and foreign.

I know I'm grown up cause I still enjoy a pizza but it's noonger my favorite, my favorite is now Mujadara. Not sure if the version I make is authentic or not bur I found numerous recipes and read its made a bit different in different areas and even from family to family, so I took different seasoning I liked from a few recipes and combined them, it's so satisfying!

I do so love food 😋
Like Like x 1 Love Love x 1 View List

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk