Author Topic: Neo-Advaita  (Read 666 times)

Offline Nick

• Rishi
  • Life Branches.
Re: Neo-Advaita
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2024, 02:53:38 AM »
There are gradations of all aspects of nonduality. One can gain a piercing insight - a scouts perspective. One can step into it unwillingly without losing the easy path back. And one can experience complete submergence, from which it is nearly impossible to return as that saps completely one's life force - the energy to do. It is best to have snippets of nonduality, because there is so much work to be done in duality.

I'm not of the view that the goal should be nonduality. That is the landscape, and it is good to know the landscape - how to utilise effectively the known, unknown and unknowable. As such, there are different gradations of stopping the world. In essence stopping the world is the experience of nonduality, but I also not happy to describe this as a negative - a 'non'. Much like negentropy.

Along the path, we need occasional glimpses of the infinite, but we still need to tread the path of our destiny.

I was thinking this was the likely answer. This would seem to further explain why one can spend too much time in the Second Attention.

This of course doesn't alleviate the fear that stopping the world could cause problems for me... but then a lot of things can cause potential harm.

Most recently while doing the dreaming workshop I had a day where I started to feel I might be on the verge of something,  didn't feel quite like last time I almost stopped the world, but similar in some ways, and for some reason though I started to feel simultaneous boost of energy and extreme fatigue, and I couldn't hydrate enough (which I found alarming). So I took a break from the workshop, I'm now focusing more on my physical health than I was, I have some muscle tension I can't get rid of, IBS symptoms, frequent urination, all problematic but stuff the doctor apparently can't do much for. But I'm gonna find a solution or at least make myself feel significantly healthier before making another serious run for cracking the shell.

"As long as we confuse the myriad forms of the divine lila with reality, without perceiving the unity of Brahman underlying all these forms, we are under the spell of maya..."
 -Fritjof Capra, The Tao of Physics: An Exploration of the Parallels between Modern Physics and Eastern Mysticism
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
  • Love You ALL To The Moon and Back...
    • SIR
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2024, 06:10:11 AM »
Yeah look at diet, see if something needs to be changed. Im doing vegan this year. Dropped beef last year. So far im good. Tho Michael worries ill get kidney stones. Not if I get enough protein. There are ways to get protein besides meat. I got a bag of garbanzo beans last night, for example. And I take b-12 among a host of other things. So see about diet. Now vegan is working for me, might not work for you. BUT at least abandoned processed food, and dont touch fast food at all. It weighs you down hard. I feel a massive difference changing my diet, and the last lbs are slowly coming off.
"A warrior doesn't seek anything for his solace, nor can he possibly leave anything to chance. A warrior actually affects the outcome of events by the force of his awareness and his unbending intent." - don Juan

Offline Nick

• Rishi
  • Life Branches.
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2024, 07:52:42 AM »
I havent had fast food in probably 5 years give or take. That's not counting the occasional gluten free pizza (I have gluten intolerance probably a part of the IBS), but I like to Pack on the veggies when I do pizza.

Been full on vegetarian for about 2 years now, not vegan, still get substantial protein from dairy.
The health problems I'm having have been going on long before going vegetarian though and haven't gotten worse with the switch.

The frequent urination is likely mostly from drinking too much water. I've had doctors tell me I was drinking too much, but then I'd try to decrease it only to feel extreme fatigue and anxiety even from a cup less. Then recently I came across this Gut Sense website and some of what it said about chronic constipation (I take about 20 psyllium husk fiber pills a day to be able to poop!) and over hydration got me wondering. It also said some other things about how the body works when drinking fluids that caused the anxiety and fatigue to make sense. I took them as signs of dehydration even though it didn't make sense that just a little less was dehydration. Now I've been decreasing the water by about a cup a week, and in the beginning the fatigue and anxiety would be off and on for the first couple days of the week, then I'd level out to normal. Now I'm at the point where I don't even get the fatigue, I'm still over 8 cups a day, and when I work out I let myself drink more. So the water is the main focus right now, and getting consistent exercise.

Other than lactose free milk (got an intolerance there to), I am eating only the harder cheeses as they are lower in lactose, but they still cause stomach pain so I'm going to cut them out or dramatically down as well, and hope my body eventually gets better, cause I LOVE cheese.

I'm also slowly decreasing the fiber as the website says you can have too much fiber, and based off the look of my poop I probably was using too much. I seem to be at the sweet spot now though. So I'm gonna keep the fiber there for now and monitor things closely. It is crazy that even on a vegetarian diet I was struggling to poop without 20 fiber pills, every meal I eat is already high in fiber! This confirms for me that fiber isn't likely the problem.

This is also where making sure I exercise regularly comes in because that also helps move things along.

I'm also taking a prebiotic supplement daily, and I do still use Greek yogurt which doesn't seem to upset my stomach much if at all.

It irritates me a bit that I'd have doctors tell me decrease your water but then when I described my symptoms from doing so know one had an explanation. Now I know that water consumption effects blood pressure and some other factors, likely my blood pressure would drop causing fatigue, anxiety would kick in as a kind of alarm system saying why is our blood pressure dropping abruptly. And like I said I've not had this problem since I crossed a point in the process of decreasing that water.
"As long as we confuse the myriad forms of the divine lila with reality, without perceiving the unity of Brahman underlying all these forms, we are under the spell of maya..."
 -Fritjof Capra, The Tao of Physics: An Exploration of the Parallels between Modern Physics and Eastern Mysticism

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
    • SIR
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2024, 08:29:46 AM »
Sounds like you are doing a lot of the right things! Now on cheese, since you seem to be lactose intolerant, consider non dairy cheese. Im switching over to this, which can be difficult at times. But we have the brand Daiya. Cause one thing, cheese can clog up the poop. But non dairy cheese try that. I like cheese as well. That was a thing. I read that cheese does the same effect on the brain heroin does! Now why did cheese become a big thing with livestock industry? This is interesting. Back in the day, they opted to sell to the country less fat was good for health. So in milk, they skim the fat. Like 2% milk or skim. Well, what do they do with the fat? Make CHEESE! Then pushed all this cheese on us, which is hard to walk away from. Load up pizza with cheese, and cheesy crust, then we hooked on cheese.

But try non dairy cheese see if that helps.

Also for poop, prunes you can do that. Grapes help as well (I love grapes)! Love them a lot. But yes you can drink too much water. I am similar. I always have to have a drink nearby. Water etc. Now I know say diet soda is crap. But I still like it. I like it on hand. I know the artificial sweetner can confuse the body. Where I used to drink it a lot, now I have it every other day maybe a can, at most.

Yes tho water is essential but dont go crazy with it.

But also look to supplements. If vegetarian B 12 is essential. Multivitamin. I take a bunch of amino acids right now for working out. So far my energy has been really good. I just want to be sure, cause Michael is right, vegans can get kidney stones. But I dont want to go back to meat if I can help it. The documentaries convinced me the way they produce meat in this country, is unhealthy as all hell.
"A warrior doesn't seek anything for his solace, nor can he possibly leave anything to chance. A warrior actually affects the outcome of events by the force of his awareness and his unbending intent." - don Juan

Offline Nick

• Rishi
  • Life Branches.
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2024, 10:37:54 AM »
Sounds like you are doing a lot of the right things! Now on cheese, since you seem to be lactose intolerant, consider non dairy cheese. Im switching over to this, which can be difficult at times. But we have the brand Daiya. Cause one thing, cheese can clog up the poop. But non dairy cheese try that. I like cheese as well. That was a thing. I read that cheese does the same effect on the brain heroin does! Now why did cheese become a big thing with livestock industry? This is interesting. Back in the day, they opted to sell to the country less fat was good for health. So in milk, they skim the fat. Like 2% milk or skim. Well, what do they do with the fat? Make CHEESE! Then pushed all this cheese on us, which is hard to walk away from. Load up pizza with cheese, and cheesy crust, then we hooked on cheese.

But try non dairy cheese see if that helps.

Also for poop, prunes you can do that. Grapes help as well (I love grapes)! Love them a lot. But yes you can drink too much water. I am similar. I always have to have a drink nearby. Water etc. Now I know say diet soda is crap. But I still like it. I like it on hand. I know the artificial sweetner can confuse the body. Where I used to drink it a lot, now I have it every other day maybe a can, at most.

Yes tho water is essential but dont go crazy with it.

But also look to supplements. If vegetarian B 12 is essential. Multivitamin. I take a bunch of amino acids right now for working out. So far my energy has been really good. I just want to be sure, cause Michael is right, vegans can get kidney stones. But I dont want to go back to meat if I can help it. The documentaries convinced me the way they produce meat in this country, is unhealthy as all hell.

You said a lot I agree with, not going to parse it all out now though. Suffice to say I love cheese but I don't eat an exorbitant amount of it. I would say my love of cheese is a bit more of a foodies love, I'm not going crazy on the amount, but I am eating it and exploring different cheeses. Suffice to say I love food, which is why I gave up on fast food a long time ago, it really doesn't taste that good when you've explored so many different kinds of delicious foods. I first gave up on fast food not for health but for flavor. My favorite meals right now are Mujadara, chickpea curry, various different Daal recipes, Roasted veggies on abed of lentils and brown rice.

I'll never replace cheese with vegan cheese, I've tried all the substitutes out there, none of them.compare to real cheese. And most of these veggie cheeses make a half decent fake American cheese, and I don't even really like American cheese much at all. They don't have a good extra sharp cheddar, like the kind that is so hard it crumples when you cut it with a butter knife and to the taste it has a hint of nutty, a bit of a bite to it. Or a smoky gouda, omg! A yummy gruyere... sigh. Oh how I will miss fondue night! Alas I haven't had a glass of wine in ages cause of my acid reflux but I'm really hoping when my water drinking gets low enough the acid reflux might also go away, as too much water can cause that as well I've read. Then I can have wine and cheese again!!!

But I can live without my love of cheese for now, I'd rather go without any cheese then insult my taste buds with the fake stuff. My spouse calls me a snob, but then she likes to eat burnt food so what does she know! 😂

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
    • SIR
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2024, 10:44:38 AM »
Yeah cheese is a hard one. The Daiya is not that bad tho! But I know its limited, if you want to explore good cheese. And wine and cheese I know! I am doing my best to avoid wine. I loved it, but I could drink way too much and flowered up. Now on occasion with a nice dinner ill have a glass so its different. But yes I know cheese is hard to part with. But I definitely gotta have some non dairy cheese. Matter of fact, im out of it and am going to hit the store today, just for cheese alone. I got plenty in fridge. But I need some grated cheese.  ;D

Offline Nick

• Rishi
  • Life Branches.
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2024, 10:57:44 AM »
Ah yeah so you mention grated cheese, last I checked the Daiya stuff doesn't really melt well. And I am picky I'm the kitchen. I can work for hours in the kitchen experimenting to get a recipe just right (probably why daughter is working to become a chef), and there are so many recipes where I would be upset if the cheese didn't melt right.

I see they have stuff labeled mozzarella and chedder..cheddar... I'm skeptical 🤨 😂 

I do like the new Impossible Burger stuff though, and I hear they have been working on a milk substitute. If they do dairy as well as they do burger that could potentially change things for me.

For now, I'll just have little to no cheese. I haven't had good bread in probably 10 or more years anyway, so if I can do that I can manage with the cheese... I think 😂

Offline Nick

• Rishi
  • Life Branches.
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2024, 11:01:40 AM »
Oh and the thing with lactose, why I'm hoping I can change this
A. I wasn't always lactose intolerant
B. When they test me for lactose intolerance I don't come up as intolerant

But the Gut Sense site says this kind of thing is common for people with IBS, which he also insists is not a purely psycho somatic problem as many doctors seem to assume.

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
    • SIR
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2024, 12:26:41 PM »
Yeah thats the weird thing, most people around the world ARE lactose intolerant. I was surprised when I started researching all this, it took me down a huge thing of info. But many are, and maybe we werent meant to drink milk, intended for baby calfs! ;) Now in India I guess they ok with the milk and butter, just not EAT the cow!  ;D And yes impossible burger is pretty good. I just got back from store. I got a different brand of cheese which I used last time, melts better than Daiya. The brand is "Open Nature" non dairy. I have no problem melting that one. But at least Daiya exists. Im also trying to do sour dough bread instead. Getting used to it. And yes I gotta figure out a way to do vegan pizza! Like I was like the other day "Man would be nice to have a pizza!" But I know its horrible for us! But yes impossible burger I hit store, found it 30% off so grabbed a couple of those. I like to use it for spaghetti, tacos, things like that. And I have the patties if I want a burger. But yeah switching over Im figuring it out, doing things like tofu for stir fry. But like tonight I grabbed it tho im not a fan: KALE. It just...the taste. I know its super healthy for you. But I gotta get used to it!

Offline Nick

• Rishi
  • Life Branches.
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2024, 03:04:49 PM »
Not big on the texture of Kale, I love Spinach preferably uncooked. Have to cook Kale though, and usually put it in with something else. Roasting most veggies helps get rid of any bitterness I've found. I've read that leafy greens should be the real bottom of the food pyramid, bur I've yet to manage that many leafy greens, other veggies I've got a plenty.

I don't think pizza really is bad for us, I think the way pizza is typically made is bad for us. Replace normal pizza dough with a high fiber alternative, use something like chickpea flour and the fiber is high, carbs are low and it's the best texture I've found as of yet. Add a small amount of coconut flour to the chickpea flour to increase fiber, careful not to much or the flavor is wrong. I'd use cheese personally, but do it margaritas pizza style and go super low on the amount of cheese. Throw on a ton of veggies, red sauce if you wish, in cause I use a white sauce made of extra virgin olive oil and herbs. Most cultures, it seems, have of some form of flatbread they eat, a pizza is just that, flat bread with the meal built in, some careful adjustments and it's healthy.
And in my opinion when it isn't drowning in cheese it actually tastes better as all the flavors are more balanced.
Which isn't to say that I don't still enjoy the taste of a pizza with too much cheese, but if I'm honest, less cheese and more balance of flavor is far more interesting.

Sourdough also seems to improve the texture of gluten free bread. You have to get used to sourdough?! Sourdough was a favorite of mine even before I started experimenting with interesting food, is to die for.

I disagree with the notion that people in general are lactose intolerant, I've read this myself and wasn't impressed with the logic or the quality of the sources to back the ideas. On the logic side of it, just because the milk is for the calves doesn't mean it would by default be bad for people. After all if we applied the same logic to all thr food we eat, we wouldn't eat anything, as it stands to reason that none of the food we eat was made for people, all the food we eat evolved for the plants or animals in question. The Spinach leaf is to catch rain and sun light for the Spinach plant, not to feed a person. Nuts and seeds are for the procreation of the plant in question, again not primarily to feed people. As a rule what an entity eats is not intended for its survival. We can even argue that the sun wasn't made to nourish plants or animals. The interdependence of nature doesn't require things to be intended for thr nourishment of the Other. Even if we bring a God into the equation I'm still not convinced anything was made with its primary intent to feed a person, but I do suspect God made duality to experience something new. Being a nondual entity, it wasn't lacking in anything, so forcing its creation, which is still it, to not remember what it is, and to require nourishment that wasn't primarily intended for it, forces that creation to survive by connecting with other aspects of God. To drink the milk of a calf is to know an aspect of God... I'll call this the Dao of Nourishment.

You're definitely right about just needing to get used to the new foods, in my experience anyway the more we expose ourselves to new tastes the more easily fluid our pallete becomes. Acquiring tastes is a beautiful thing.
Agree Agree x 2 View List

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2024, 11:08:17 PM »
We like a hard cheese with wine - I'm over the soft cheeses because they are too eatable. I prefer Manchego.

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
    • SIR
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2024, 09:20:18 AM »
How did this go from non-duality to cheese?  ;D Im not sure, but its funny!

Offline Nick

• Rishi
  • Life Branches.
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2024, 07:24:36 AM »
How did this go from non-duality to cheese?  ;D Im not sure, but its funny!

Right, 😂
Funny Funny x 1 View List

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #43 on: February 29, 2024, 03:43:10 PM »
Always reminds me of that famous song:
All we are saying, is
Eat Cheese in France!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk