Author Topic: How it was in Australia  (Read 928 times)

erik

How it was in Australia
« on: July 19, 2007, 09:45:31 PM »
I'll move my reflections on the journey to Australia here. It will help me to write it down better and keep it focused.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 01:34:53 AM by erik »

erik

1. Interlude
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 09:59:17 PM »
Yes. Writing it all down. Easier said than done. The human nature is such it wants to keep things to itself so much! It does not want to open up, even under pressure of daily life and work obligations, it desperately tries to hold on to that extraordinary feeling that I came to know in Australia.

Michael's eyes, Julie's care. Mountains, the energies. Michael's eyes when we had coffee in airport. Their extraordinary colour. That warmth and the feeling of tremendous loss at the airplane. How to say it all so that it would make any sense?

Home found and left behind again. That extraordinary ease of being. Sun, the quiet sound of creek. Dreams and visions. 10 years of accumulated and concentrated intent burst into living intensively a few days. A few days that seemed to last forever!

Now - work, duties. Pressure of the daily life. Emptiness and the sense of displacement in the daily world.

I'll get to it.
I'll write.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 06:18:42 AM by Juhani »

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
  • Let us dance of freedom~
Re: How it was in Australia
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 10:18:14 PM »
 :-*
Without constant complete silence meditation - samadi - we lose ourselves in the game.  MM

erik

2. Flight and the first steps on Australian soil
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 01:35:33 AM »
The bus for airport was to leave at 3 am. We woke up at 1.30 am after an hour or so of deep sleep. There was no sleepiness, adrenalin was high. Everything, every fibre of our beingness was ready to go. We tried to get a taxi, but it was to no avail. No wonder – it was a summer solstice night and taxi drivers are human beings after all. I had a 100 litre-backpack; Tiina’s thing had wheels. Up and go! We made it to the bus station in about 15 minutes instead of usual 20.

Bus, breaking dawn, a bit of drizzle out there. Everyone sleeps. I’m sitting there, looking at sleeping people and thinking about nothing. Minute after minute. Eventually I had a brief nap as well.

Airport. 6 am. We have our backpack wrapped in plastic. Check-in, security control. We are in the international zone and looking at our plane. The thought about flying through two days and landing tomorrow at 9 pm is utterly unreal and has no content, no substance. Duty free shop opens. I’m thinking about buying 6-pack of beer to Michael, yet he warned me the day before over the phone that in Australia they would not allow to take any bottle over 100 ml into cabin. I’m hesitant, Tiina is firm – take it! To hell with it! If Aussie security personnel is going to have beer, so be it! Boarding, getting ready for flight. Off we go into cloudy sky. It has began!

Nothing really happens in our flight to Frankfurt. Adrenalin eases a bit, I read a book. It is ‘The Last Legion’, a fiction about how the last Roman legionnaires took their 16-year emperor under the guidance of an old druid to British isles. Rome was controlled by barbarians, empire was no more. It was time for a new beginning. They ran from barbarians fighting their way through collapsing pieces of what used to be a world-state.

Frankfurt. Two hours pass like 20 minutes. We board a Boeing 747. Christ, it is huge! 10 rows of seats! We sit in the centre. Blankets, pillows, head phones, socks, tooth brush and paste. LCD screen shows expected flight time: 11 hours 15 minutes. There is a map: we’ll fly over Germany, Poland, Belorussia, Russia, Kazakhstan, and China. It is bloody half the globe! Utterly surreal thought. Will this plane be really in the air for 11 hours?

We prepare for take-off. The plane is truly monumental, I wonder if it’s pre-take off run is longer than that of other planes. It begins – yes, it takes a bit longer to reach the lift-off speed. We are airborne. We are heading east.

I wake up in the middle of the night. Or is it a day? What time is it? Clock shows some numbers, but their relevance is questionable, as I cannot see what’s outside, except that there is dark. Right. I watch another movie. We still have 5 hours to go (damn! fly!) and Tiina sleeps deeply.

Dawn. We are approaching Hong Kong. Utter disbelief. Is it really Hong Kong? The place of Jackie Chan and martial arts movies? The legendary colony of Britain? There are mountains below. Houses like towers, bay full of all sorts of vessels. We land on a narrow strip. Pilot tells us that there are 31 degrees Celsius outside. Yes, while exiting, one can feel it. Our steps are unsure. We’ve sat for way too long! The overall feeling is that of numbness – it is supposed to be morning, but the body is not quite sure about it. I wash and shave and then lay down with my legs up. It feels good!!! Tiina walks around and then chooses also a more comfortable position. Pre-boarding security check did not mind the beer. Cool! At least it’ll reach Australia!

Another boarding. Flight to Sydney. Dream is coming true. During the flight I tell Tiina several times – we are flying to Sydney! We are flying to Australia! She smiles and laughs. We are flying to a continent I used to look at on the small model of globe I had at home when I was a kid. I used to read about Australia, I used to wonder how different Aboriginals were from Negroes in Africa. The land of kangaroos. I can’t get over that feeling of being unable to grasp reality. I never thought I’d reach that land.

I finish the book. The last Roman emperor reaches England. There is a decisive battle with chasing barbarians and by the end of it a new state is born on these isles. Empire is through, but the life goes on. A new king or former emperor strikes his sword into a big rock in the middle of a lake after the battle, and leaves it there for next generations to awe.

We reach Australia near Darwin. Indeed, the colours of Australia are primal. Scorched brown and green. I relax and go into half-dreaming. I feel warmth and comfort. Is it coming from that land? Is it talking to me already? We fly by not that far from where Michael lives. I’m thinking that we might be no further than a few hundred kilometres from him. Another boost of that surreal feeling of being disconnected from reality. Yet my senses are sharp and register precisely what’s happening around us. It is getting dark. It is dark. Sydney below! What a beauty! The lights on the coastline. Landing. Our steps are even more shaky than in Hong Kong. Customs officers are friendly. They inquire about the box of chocolates in our bags. We are through!

Taxi driver greets us with what came to be a frequently heard phrase: ‘No worries, mate!’ and drove us to our hotel at a lightning speed. We get our key and sit on the bed. Australian bed! I ring Michael and tell that we are in Sydney and will be flying to Ballina next morning. He is jolly…and maybe even surprised that we really are in Australia? We have a chat and I duly inform Michael that we’ve managed to fly beers half way around the globe. Laughs! We do a short walk on our moderately shaky feet and make sure we know where to go tomorrow to begin our adventure. I’m gobsmacked: it is a European city, but the nature!…the nature has nothing in common with Europe. There is a weird feeling of inappropriateness of that city in that nature. We sleep a dreamless and heavy sleep.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 06:24:15 AM by Juhani »

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 06:47:55 AM »
Beautiful!
Without constant complete silence meditation - samadi - we lose ourselves in the game.  MM

erik

3. Ballina – Byron Bay
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 06:58:03 AM »
We wake up on time, even a few minutes before the alarm set on the cell phone. Quick shower, sip of Coke, chips, we grab our bags that are unpacked and to another flight we walk. The plan is to check in and have something better to eat.

The weather is grey. It starts to rain and when we get into the airport the rain becomes torrential. The check in is laid-back as are many things in Australia. Nobody cares about beers…which is a good thing and ought to make Michael a happy man! We don’t manage to get anything to bite, though.

The flight is uneventful. Next to us sits a Spaniard who came to Australia quite some years ago for holidays and could not get himself to leave. What strikes us in the flight is the coastline. There are not simply dozens of kilometres of pure white sand, but apparently hundreds of kilometres, or so it seems from the air. The ocean (ocean!!!) is fairly peaceful.

Ballina is a small place and its airport could be a train station in any village in the world. Here we must get our rental car. We chose a small Hyundai Getz with manual gearbox. The chap who hands us the key is maybe 18-20 years old and his most frequently voiced phrase is ‘no worries!’ That’s a bit surprising as we are not so much worried about getting the car as driving it on the left side of the road! Eventually we get the keys and get acquainted with the little car that is to serve us for next few days.

It’s made to the US standards of comfort, and its brakes and steering wheel are amplified more than in European cars; there is also an air conditioner. Right. I sit on the right side and try gears with my left hand. It might actually work! The lights are under my right hand, though. I must get used to it. I also must get used to sticking to the left side of the road that for us usually is the lane of traffic going in the opposite direction. Feels a bit like kamikaze…

Tiina is already messing with maps and plotting our course to Byron Bay. Fortunately it is not that far away – some 30 km. Off we go! I totally concentrate on handling the car, Tiina navigates. The first 10 km pass without noticing – it all feels so alien that there is no time to look around or wonder. Next 10 km are more peaceful and during the last 10 km I feel that adrenalin is subsiding. Tiina does a perfect job and we find our motel in Byron’s Bay right away. I park the car, phew! Quite enough of that stuff for one day!

It still rains and is grey. Yet it is warm and our enthusiasm only grows! Rain clothes on and to the ocean, to the ocean! We can hear its noise! We start walking down the streets of Byron Bay and I’m in sheer wonder. Should I start taking photos of all that is alien to me? That would mean standing all day long and just taking photos. I decide to trust Tiina’s ideas about what’s worth photographing and walk along.

Byron Bay is one of these coastal towns that make living form being on the coast. One can imagine hordes of surfers and all sorts of holidaymakers crawling on the streets in the summer. Small houses, palms, huge number of shops, cafes, bars, etc. Some old hippies on the street. Unfortunately one can smell them from far away. They look worn and tired.

We decide to go to ocean. Pacific Ocean! My first ocean. There, there it is. Not much wind, drizzling rain. Waves roaring rhythmically on the beach. That is how Pacific Ocean greets us.

We stop and breathe the air. It is strange to think that that endless sea goes up to South America. It goes on for thousands of kilometres. It goes on and on. We cannot resist temptation to try the water, then take our boots off and walk in it. It is warm! It actually feels that we would feel warmer in the water than outside. A bunch of surfers seems to prove the point. We turn right and start to walk on the waterline.

Waves have washed up various shells and pieces of corals. They are beautiful! There are so many different varieties of them! Along the way some surfers come out of the water and it seems that it is not that warm after all – their lips are pale blue and some of them shake visibly despite their wet suits.

We reach a small island towering high above the sea. We go up there and see dolphins! That is a first time for me to see dolphins! They are full of joy and playful!

Two of them decide to teach surfers a lesson. They get inside one high wave and ride the wave inside it. While surfer is on his board on the surface they pass at high speed under him so that he must have felt it and…he also saw it. He looks shaken! We stay up there and simply watch the waves coming to beach. We could do that forever…

The next destination for us is the lighthouse. It is getting four o’clock and the dusk is setting in. We must get going. We climb the hill and are greeted by local birds in the bush on its slopes: oh-ooooh, oh-ooooh! The sound they make is that of utter surprise and it makes us laugh and laugh! We try to make it back to them and they go quiet for a while. So this is how Aussie birds see us! Rain is quite dense now, but we don’t care! We’ve come to explore!

We reach the lighthouse in the dusk. The light is on.

There is a magnificent view from the top of that hill. We are some 100 meters above sea level. It just happens that this is the easternmost extremity of the Australian mainland. I duly try to see South America.

It is getting dark and the rain is getting even stronger. It is soaking now. Fair enough for this day. We walk back in darkness and rain under surprised noises of these birds we cannot see in the bush. We laugh!

Later I ring Michael to let him know that we are fine, we have the car, and we will be going to Mt Warning next day. Michael is positively surprised about our choice of destination. He tells us that there are many sacred places of Aboriginals in the area around the mountain. He recommends us to visit a particular spot in the small town called Uki. We remember his words to a detail. Not surprisingly the mountain and sacred sites around it have a strong feminine energy.

We hang our wet clothes on the chairs and anything else we find and go to sleep. We are in Australia, on our way into unknown. We feel good and determined to see it all through and experience it all fully. We are so deeply exhilarated that it has become a permanent mind state.

Next morning we wake up early. We have a 100 km drive to make, and climb Mt Warning (1,100 meters above sea level). On our way out we are told by an extremely friendly woman who keeps the motel that whales have been spotted at the Byron Bay lighthouse. We decide to drive up there and see if we get lucky.

The weather is superb. The sun is shining, wind is a bit stronger and it is a bit cooler. We drive up there and I feel more comfortable in the driver’s seat. The view is amazing!

To the right of us is Wendigo beach

To the left is Byron Bay. We look and look and all of a sudden an older lady turns to us and says that there are two pairs of dolphins enjoying themselves and a pair of humpback whales passing the Byron Bay. We scan the sea relentlessly and there…! Something huge and incredibly majestic surfaces for a while and goes into waves again. After a while we see a fountain of air and water drops being blown with huge force from the waves! A huge and powerful dark back surfaces and moves forcefully forward. Whales! From the icy Southern Ocean they have come on their voyage to other waters. They move so peacefully and mysteriously on their path. They are huge.

Our time is up and we must move on.
Thank you, whales and dolphins!
We will remember you!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 06:48:52 AM by Juhani »

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 09:21:25 AM »
((((((((((((((((Juhani)))))))))))))))))))))

I can feel the power behind your words, how wonderful!

I too have never seen dophins, once went whale watching and as you mention.. wow!

The veiws are incredible, your smile hidden within your words is stunning. Thanks so much for sharing!

nichi

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 10:04:02 AM »
The Ocean ....... Yes!

Offline elliot

• Sadhu
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 03:35:20 PM »
travel on, man.  thank you for sharing!
"O great creator of being, grant us one more hour / to perform our art and perfect our lives."    Jim Morrison

sugilite

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 12:34:57 AM »
Beautiful pictures and great story!   :-*

You know what I find kind of neat?  That you were at the Pacific Ocean, thousand of miles away from Canada and the pacific is the Ocean I grew up around on the Coast of BC.  Cool.  Beautiful and magickal the Ocean is eh?  Wow!

(V aren't you on the Pacific, too?)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 01:19:23 AM by sugilite »

nichi

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 02:45:43 AM »
Beautiful pictures and great story!   :-*

You know what I find kind of neat?  That you were at the Pacific Ocean, thousand of miles away from Canada and the pacific is the Ocean I grew up around on the Coast of BC.  Cool.  Beautiful and magickal the Ocean is eh?  Wow!

(V aren't you on the Pacific, too?)

Only at the moment on the Pacific ... the grey and stormy Atlantic is my usual beat. But I'd rather ... know the Indian Ocean, methinks. I think you're right, though, sug, I think there is a Pacific Rim connection here! :-*

erik

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 02:52:14 AM »
I could sit on that point forever  ...

Yes, Vicki. It is one of these points...but our lives force us to move and act and experience, and create!

nichi

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2007, 02:58:00 AM »
Yes, Vicki. It is one of these points...but our lives force us to move and act and experience, and create!

No doubt!

erik

4. Mount Warning
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007, 05:25:51 AM »
Our transit from Byron Bay to a small bed & breakfast place at the foot of the mountain is smooth as Tiina navigates with great precision. I’m getting used to sticking to the left side of the road and changing gears with my left hand. What I’m not used to is the road. It is curvy and goes up and down. Local people drive faster and I need to let them take over periodically.

Mount Warning…it is the name captain Cook gave to that mountain. It is the first spot in Australia that rays of the rising Sun touch upon. Aboriginals know that mountain by a very different name – Mount Wollumbin – Fighting Chief of Mountains. It really looks like Chief as it towers over surrounding mountains. The name is given because there are frequently thunder and lightning over the top of Mt Wollumbin. It is the heart of a huge and ancient volcano crater.

We arrive to our bed & breakfast place at 11.30 am and our hosts suggest that we start climbing quite soon as it takes about two hours to reach the top and two hours to get down again. The total distance of the walk/climb is some 8-9 kilometers. We drive to where the ascending path starts and begin ascent.

We find ourselves in a rainforest. Gigantic trees and all sorts of amazing plants surround us.

There are not many sounds – it is winter – nor smells. Yet the presence of a rainforest is so fundamentally different from what I have ever experienced in my life. You could feel life, energy all around you. It is open, bursting, nothing like our introvert forests here! At one stage I feel that I’m embraced by some incredibly soft energy. I would like to stop and simply be there. Stay there and forget about the rest of the world. It feels so good... I look at Tiina, but she does not show signs of feeling the same. So we continue. Gradually we rise above the rainforest. The first wider view opens to us.

A bit later I feel again that tremendous soft feeling as if something is embracing me. I would like to lie down. I would like it to not end, but we have to move on.

The last 20-30 meters are challenging. The slope goes steep and we have to use all our limbs to find a spot to pull or push. Wind is strong and very cold up there and it blows from east. Western slope is quiet and warm. We see that people descending from the summit are all feeling cold. Our hearts beat faster and stronger – no wonder as 1,100 meters is quite high for our flat butts! We rest and then keep climbing. At some point something kicks in me and I feel huge burst of energy. I become a cat – all of a sudden I am agile, flexible and powerful, I climb last meters with very high speed!

There! We have reached the summit! We catch the breath and put on clothes, as the wind is strong. We have a close encounter of the third kind with local fauna – brush turkey – that decides to come and see if we would like to feed it.

We do feed it a bit, eat ourselves and start our trip around the summit. When looking to northeast and east I feel something extraordinary. I look down at these sights

…and have a vision or rather a feeling of how Aboriginals used to walk down there doing their rituals at sacred sites. It is such a strong feeling that when I look towards Byron’s Bay and Brisbane, it seems as if they constitute a second floor in that land. At the first floor are natives and the land itself. At the second – white man with all his usual gadgetry and artificiality. Could it be so? Yes, it could. Even now, when I write these words, I feel the power of these places. It grabs my belly and holds it gently, but powerfully. Yes, I’m still in touch with all of you!

It is the first time as well when I try to focus my attention on Aboriginals who have been in these places and I get a strangely warm and soft feeling. Is it them? I don’t know. I get the sense of darkness, of somebody peeking from darkness, somebody warm, with good intent and being part of collective. Maybe I’m daydreaming or experiencing what I want to experience… The future must tell!

We also look down at Uki that is between two mountaintops. We definitely have to go there to find the power spot Michael spoke about!

Our descent is as steep as ascent (who could have expected that?!) and I struggle with my knee there. It really gets bloody cold there! I have to warm my hands for couple of times before the steep part is left behind!

On our walk down we are rewarded with some beautiful sights and discoveries. The dusk is approaching and light is becoming dim and soft. We see things in a different light. Is it a fairytale land?

Having completed our descent we get a beautiful sight at a pond on a creek at the foot of the mountain. It is breath taking in setting dusk, quiet and cooling air. What else could I say about such a sight? What could anybody say?

Later we drive to Murwillumbah to eat. Upon return we look at the starry sky…and the only thing we recognise is the Milky Way. There is nothing else familiar there. I know that there is no North Star, but Southern Cross must be up there somewhere, though…

That night I sleep restlessly. Wollumbin is there, its presence is palpable. I manage to fall asleep and see a dream.

I’m in a room with several people. One of them is a woman who immediately catches my attention. She is not beautiful, but she radiates energy. She is strongly built, with fit and trained body. She wears pale blue jeans, bright white tennis shoes and some shirt. Her eyes are pale blue, hair blond and short, she is tanned with bright white teeth. She is kind and energetic. She catches attention. I watch her with awe! She is somehow breath taking!

And then…I’m lifted up…by myself. I’m face to face with utterly raging mad me, I hold my arms around me and hold me in the air. My right hand holds a knife around me under my right shoulder blade and pushes it against my skin powerfully. It is incredibly painful and I feel the pain in my sleep! That me who holds the knife on my back and holds me in the air is incredibly jealous, he is raging mad and jealous because I looked at that woman. He/me accuses me of having an affair with her. I deny and say that it simply isn’t true. He/me becomes even more raging mad, loses it totally, lets me go and out of utter unmitigated rage stabs himself in the heart, and dies.

I wake up still feeling the pain of the knife tip under my shoulder blade. It was pushed there with force! Yet is only 3 am, I read National Geographic about pollution and ecological disaster in China, and fall asleep again…Wollumbin is still there, in the darkness.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 06:51:04 AM by Juhani »

nichi

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 05:37:39 AM »
Wow .... in that pond, I'm sure it 'must be' the reflection of the sky between the treetops, but ... my first thought was that it was you and Tiina  -- or your spirits, swimming underwater.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk