Author Topic: Don Juan's quotes  (Read 2314 times)

erik

Re: Don Juan's quotes
« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2007, 08:33:32 AM »
I agree fully.

wintersong

« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2007, 08:36:45 AM »
usually used to validate some judgement or another: and usually, the message is "You suck!"  :P

That is quite naturally the reaction one feels when S.I. is focused on, self-pity. The worst thing we can do is indulge in it, placing more attention to the problem. We are all fools, every single one of us, so we shouldn't feel so special about it. We should not place that importance.  

nichi

« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2007, 08:42:57 AM »
Sure thing, we shouldn't place importance -- and the judgement shouldn't have been presented to start with.

It could go on all day and all night, eh?

Here's one of my favorite passages which might fit here:

Leave People Alone

"It's not the people around you who are at fault," he said.  "They cannot help themselves.  The fault is with you, because you can help yourself, but you are bent on judging them, at a deep level of silence.  Any idiot can judge.  If you judge them, you will only get the worst out of them.  All of us human beings are prisoners, and it is that prison that makes us act in such a miserable way.  Your challenge is to take people as they are!  Leave people alone."

The Clear View
THE ACTIVE SIDE OF INFINITY
Carlos Castaneda
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 08:48:18 AM by nichi »
Winner Winner x 1 View List

nichi

« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2007, 08:46:26 AM »
Meanwhile, I can only speak for me. I'm here for other things -- to work through dreams, and pieces of my own recap, my own shtuff.  I guess we all have our own reasons. 

wintersong

« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2007, 09:02:36 AM »

"It's not the people around you who are at fault," he said.  "They cannot help themselves.  The fault is with you, because you can help yourself, but you are bent on judging them, at a deep level of silence.  Any idiot can judge.  If you judge them, you will only get the worst out of them.  All of us human beings are prisoners, and it is that prison that makes us act in such a miserable way.  Your challenge is to take people as they are!  Leave people alone."

I like to say S.I. is like a joke played on us, by us. 

erik

« Reply #80 on: January 23, 2007, 09:06:53 AM »

Back to basics - what's your name?

Gunslinger

« Reply #81 on: January 23, 2007, 09:43:18 AM »

Oh, don't get me started laughing again!!  I'm at work, with a lot of stuff to do.  Oh, well, thanks for the laughter!

HAHAHAHA!

Offline daphne

• Rishi
« Reply #82 on: January 23, 2007, 11:59:49 AM »

Indeed!   :D
"The compulsion to possess and hold on to things is not unique. Everyone who wants to follow the warrior's path has to rid himself of this fixation in order not to focus our dreaming body on the weak face of the second attention." - The Eagle's Gift

Jahn

« Reply #83 on: January 24, 2007, 05:57:56 AM »
You see the trend a lot in Christian fundamentalist/fundie forums, where the recriminations of the biblical scriptures are usually used to validate some judgement or another: and usually, the message is "You suck!"  :P

I'm sure "You suck" has its place somewhere in the machinations between humans, but I wonder if it's what we want here?

Is it?

No N.

Offline daphne

• Rishi
« Reply #84 on: January 25, 2007, 05:12:21 AM »
Like any body of work, from the Bible to the Koran to the works of Edgar Cayce, "Don Juan's Quotes" can be used out of context, to say in coded language that which we don't really want to say.

You see the trend a lot in Christian fundamentalist/fundie forums, where the recriminations of the biblical scriptures are usually used to validate some judgement or another: and usually, the message is "You suck!"  :P

Been thinking about this... and while I agree with you that like any body of work, quotes can be used out of context, I generally see quotes as reflecting what the quoter is perhaps going through and not necessarily as a replacement for "you suck" - ie of relevance to the quoter, not directed at who is reading it.. (never been on those fundie forums..)

You wondered if you were perhaps an "idealist",  well.. I am wondering if perhaps I am naive..   :)
"The compulsion to possess and hold on to things is not unique. Everyone who wants to follow the warrior's path has to rid himself of this fixation in order not to focus our dreaming body on the weak face of the second attention." - The Eagle's Gift

nichi

Hiding Behind the Four Agreements
« Reply #85 on: January 25, 2007, 06:04:17 AM »
Been thinking about this... and while I agree with you that like any body of work, quotes can be used out of context, I generally see quotes as reflecting what the quoter is perhaps going through and not necessarily as a replacement for "you suck" - ie of relevance to the quoter, not directed at who is reading it.. (never been on those fundie forums..)

You wondered if you were perhaps an "idealist",  well.. I am wondering if perhaps I am naive..   :)

Sure, Daphne --- not necessarily does any quote mean "you suck", heheh. I myself have quoted a lot from DJ, and had no one else in mind but self. No aggressive Intent whatsoever.  Yes, it might reflect what someone is going through. 
I suppose one has to rely upon one's senses to read through. In that, one takes chances, of course -- one could err in the read, always.

Here's what I see happening sometimes in a lot of toltec forums:
We communicate something to another, intended for the other. Then, when someone responds to the intent, there are these 2 claims:
1.) You are making assumptions.
2.) You're self-important, because you took this personally.
Convenient how that works, eh?

And then it goes around and around, and sure, the original responder might have done better to not respond at all -- to have simply blown it off would have been the wiser course of action.

But this is when I see "toltec" trends turned into a mindgame, because regardless of whether someone personalized something or not, the intent was put out there to begin with. This becomes a cumulative thing, and before you know it, "attack" becomes justified and routine -- hiding behind the 4 Agreements.   And Ninja swordsmen.  Energetically, what do you have then? Some sort of battlefield. Burning bodies, blood, the smell of gunpowder.

Is it impeccable? Does it have integrity? Does it grease the wheels of creativity -- does it get us closer to the apprehension of Infinity? Or is it just petty meanness?

And then you have a tyrant like me, running in to stop the whole thing.
If I erred, I am sorry.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 06:28:39 AM by nichi »

erik

Re: Hiding Behind the Four Agreements
« Reply #86 on: January 25, 2007, 06:23:38 AM »
And then you have a tyrant like me

:D :D :D

nichi

« Reply #87 on: January 25, 2007, 06:25:32 AM »
Michael is quite right, that if we are offended, then we are in the wrong.

But I don't think that is carte blanche for the habit of attack -- be the attack blatant or subtle.

erik

« Reply #88 on: January 25, 2007, 06:30:24 AM »
Michael is quite right, that if we are offended, then we are in the wrong.

But I don't think that is carte blanche for the habit of attack -- be the attack blatant or subtle.

Another issue is - what is an 'attack'?
I have interfered many times when I've perceived that the energy is being diluted and that the original thing is step-by-step converted/talked into something very different.
When something very basic is ignored.
Then it has been for me about 'What is the purpose of this place (forum) if something like that is allowed to pass?'
Has it been an attack?
Anything else?
I don't know.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 06:37:15 AM by Sundance Kid »

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
  • Let us dance of freedom~
« Reply #89 on: January 25, 2007, 06:49:41 AM »
I like this one alot..

Leave People Alone

The Clear View
THE ACTIVE SIDE OF INFINITY
Carlos Castaneda

If you judge them, you will only get the worst out of them. 

Your challenge is to take people as they are!

Without constant complete silence meditation - samadi - we lose ourselves in the game.  MM

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk