Quite a hard time you had there.

Taimi

Re: Elbrus
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2007, 09:16:51 PM »
It doesn't seem so bad right now  ::)

Taimi

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2007, 02:34:45 AM »
After that there was a day off again and then we had two options. First if the weather would be good, we would go back to Elbrus and try to reach the top, because now we already had the acclimation. Second, if the weather would turn bad, we would go to a three days hike. Luckily the weather went bad and we didn’t have to return to Elbrus right away. I just wouldn’t have had much strenght for climbing it in that moment. I really needed to recuperate a little.  The hike was about crossing the pass. I only took part of the first day when we were just walking along the valley. Then we spent the night at the Ullu-Tau alpinists camp where they learn alpinism. I decided not to continue because the second day would have been really hard and i thought i needed to rest for the final ascent. So me and some other people returned to the base camp.

nichi

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2007, 03:33:49 AM »
T, all these photos are so beautiful.  You had said you wondered at one point why folks want to climb mountains anyway, then in post #14 you have beautiful pictures of the view of the sky and horizon there. And I got to thinking, "that's why!"   :) :-*

(Though I suppose everyone has their own reasons.)

These butterflies are so cool -- I agree with Jahn that they look like they're communing with each other. I suppose they're drinking from the mud?

Interesting about the new sleep phenomenon. I wonder if part of you is still on the mountain,  with stops and starts, and that is being reflected in the up and down of the sleeping. Like the experience is imprinted upon you ... Just a thought.

:-*

Taimi

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2007, 04:11:30 AM »
Interesting about the new sleep phenomenon. I wonder if part of you is still on the mountain,  with stops and starts, and that is being reflected in the up and down of the sleeping. Like the experience is imprinted upon you ... Just a thought.

:)

Actually today i had the same thing while awake. Not so strongly though.

erik

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2007, 04:13:16 AM »
:)

Actually today i had the same thing while awake. Not so strongly though.

Or maybe that excruciating experience silenced your mind to the extent that hidden things are coming up from your subconscious? Like that 'men&bitches' thing?

Taimi

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2007, 04:27:11 AM »
I had said something about some man, that he's dull or something like that. And talked about some girl that she's a bitch. Well, it sounded really unconnected and not like me at all. He didn't say more.

erik

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2007, 04:29:19 AM »
not like me at all.

That's why they call it subconscious...but it is us. Supressed qualities of ours. It also manifests in dreams as behaviour that 'is not ours'.

Taimi

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2007, 05:57:39 AM »
After a few days of rest it was finally time for the final ascent to Elbrus. Weather was good and in the morning we started our way again to the slope of Elbrus. The last chairlift was closed so we had to walk from there. That was fine, a little warm up, not too long distance, it took less than an hour. And the chairlift was a little bit spooky anyway. A little chair where we had to jump on with our big backbags. Nothing to fix you there. I wondered if anyone has ever fallen off from there. At 3800 some people including me decided to save strength and took a snowtractor which took us to the already familiar camp place. We didn’t take the tractor the first time because for the acclimation it was necessary to walk the distance. All this acclimation process seemed kind of mystical for me. It seemed a little unbelievable that after the first ascent we should now feel good in the same height. Luckily everything was normal, no headache and sickness. Just fast movement again caused dizziness. 

In the evening we were just packing stuff which we thought would be useful for the final rise. Glucose, energygel, hematogen, sportsdrink, feather jacket in case it would be cold, extra tick cloves fixed to my jacket – that wind wouldn’t blow them away in case i would drop them. Techincally i was prepared. We were given last instructions to start the rise at one in the night if the weather is clear. Then we went to take a little nap. When it was time to wake up, i thought again, what the hell, wake up at one in the night, in the cold and dark and go to climb a mountain. Gee, people should sleep at this time.
Again i felt a little claustrophobic while sleeping and when we woke up they said that i had again talked in sleep. This time i had talked very loud, i had said something like „Let me go, don’t  hold me, don’t drag me...” Heh, weird, i didn’t remember any dreams with this kind of content.

After the morning tea and a discusting fast-soup it was time to go. Little lights were already gathering and at 1.00 we started moving in a row. It was dark, just the head lights were visible. I decided to go very slowly. I had really no idea how far i would manage to go. In the dark it was good to walk, the steep ascents which were waiting for us, were not visible. I felt quite good considering the sircumstances. I didn’t actually care how far i would go. I didn’t have this big goal to reach the top. I suppose part of me was still wondering am i really there. In the dark it was also hard to keep track of time and i didn’t have a clock either. I think after a few hours i reached the Pastuchova Rocks. Thanks to the darkness i suppose the ascent didn’t seem too steep, i got up quite easily.
By that time most of those who hadn’t turned back, had passed me. It didn’t disturb me at all. I knew i have plenty of time. It started dawning, i knew sun would rise somewhere around six o’clock. The ascent was again quite steep, it was more comfortable to move in zigzag. From the Pastuchova Rocks we had to go straight for a while an then turn left and continue along the mountain slope in traverse. When it was getting lighter it seemed like the straight part will end soon and it will get gentle in the traverse. I was already getting a little tired of this steep rise, it was burdensome for the calfs. But it motivated me that soon the traverse would begin. It seemed like the sun was rising for an eternity and also like it took an eternity to get to the traverse. Well, i didn’t let that bother me too much. I said to my self, soon i’m on the traverse, then it is easier. As it was getting lighter, i was also able to take photos. Sometimes i tried to rest, sat on the snow but it was too steep to feel comfortable and i was very sleepy of the height. Also snow was cold and i thought it wouldn’t be good to fall asleep there. Though i think it was the sweetest sleepiness in the world. On Elbrus i think it is not that dangerous but on higher mountains it’s one of the causes of death. You just feel so sleepy and comfortably slip into the dreamland and freeze to death. A painless death.

Taimi

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2007, 06:09:59 AM »
While it was getting lighter i could see the valley down there, soft clouds between the mountains, while up there it was totally clear. After a while the shadow of Elbrus started to be visible in the sky. For a while i was busy photographing the sunrise. But soon i had enough of that and started to rise again. Somewhere there i started to feel claustrophobic again. I had a face mask which covered my cheeks and chin. On the mask also hat. Then the headlight around my head with its elastic band. Then the sunglasses also with elastic band closely against my face. They were those glasses, like swimming glasses. All this started to really disturb me at some point. And later also some of my hair got out from under the mask and tickled my cheeks. Man, i feel discusting even now when i think about this. I tried to get my hair back under the mask, but it didn’t stay there. Then i decided to try not to think about it. It worked to some extent.

It was light already, it was about six am. Though my backbag was small, it already started to get heavy on my left shoulder. The featherjacket in it was useless. It was quite warm, only my thumb and toes were a little cold for a while. By that time i had reached to the traverse. It turned out that it was just an illusion that it would be easier there and the ascent wouldn’t be so steep. But still it seemed that soon, very soon it will get less steep. Just a little bit more and it will be less steep... so it seemed... for the next two hours... I was quite tired there already, sometimes i ate some glucose, but i didn’t want the energy gels. I didn’t want to rest either, i just wanted this endless ascent to end. I kept repeating to myself – i have to get to the saddle, i have to get to the saddle (this is the place between the two peaks). Turning back seemed not to be an option. Maybe i went too fast, maybe i should have taken it more easy. This was where i started to have a little headache and sickness. I wanted to go fast but it was not possible because i started to wheeze and for several times felt dizzy because of the lack of oxygen. Few times even seemed that passing out was not far. And the flowering backbags band was pressing on my shoulder. It wasn’t heavy, but the feeling was close to that of claustrophobia. But turning back seemed like leaving something unfinished. I thought about how my friend is waiting in the saddle and that also gave me some strength to carry on (we hadn’t made an agreement about that, but i knew he was there)

Then finally the steepness started to give in and after a while the saddle was also visible. After the sunrise i had lost all interest towards photographing so no photos of that. I saw some people in the saddle from a distance. It was a good place for resting for the last stretch. First i couldn’t  recognize persons but as i got closer i was able to see a man with a red jacket and yellow gaiters. I knew it’s my friend and i thought at least i have to reach him. A smooth descent and a short ascent again to the place where he was sitting. The ascent was maybe about twenty to thirty meters long, but i seemed to take so much time. Then i landed on the snow, ripped of my backbag, the hat, the headlamp, the sunglasses, the mask, the hair away from my face, whuuh my head was free! At this moment i felt like now i’m done. Even though some part of me was thinking, if i rest for about an hour, then i’m able to continue (i had plenty of time to still get to the top), still the other part was damn sure, that i won’t take one single step uphills anymore. While sitting also the headache and sickness got stronger. I slept for a moment, sleep was still very sweet, but snow was cold. So i was not even able to rest comfortably. I shared the hematogen with my friend, we didn’t talk much. Then i stood up and said i’m going back. He didn’t say much about that, just fine, go. He had been there already for few hours, he seemed a bit tired and weary. But he was one of the instructors, so he could not leave yet. I would have wanted to stay for a while, now it seems it was a bit like rushing to go down so quick, but it was like my body came down itself not caring about what i want. I put on the hat and sunglasses and started moving, there was no way i would have put the face mask on again.

The descent was easy, though first i thought my legs would be very tired. They say that most of the accidents in the mountains happen while getting down. Because people are then tired and incautious. I felt food though, not too tired. I still had the headache and sickness all the way down, but it was milder while moving. At some point it got very hot and i couldn’t wait to get rid of all the clothes. The descent also seemed endless but finally i was down.

We spent one more night at the Saviours Rocks. Just the same as raising too fast is dangerous, also descending too fast can be dangerous for the health, so we went down the next day. Already next morning i felt very fresh and all the effort and hardness had been forgotten. I felt like there had been no effort at all.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 06:15:16 AM by Rubina »

Taimi

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2007, 06:29:34 AM »
Wow, did i really write it all down  ;D

First when i came back, i was not so enthusiastic about the thought, but then it all started to come by itself. Now i actually see some things in a different light about this journey. It seemed quite ordinary first, but now i'm starting to have a better overview.

Offline tommy2

• Pir
  • An opportunity to achieve a great end.
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2007, 07:59:32 AM »
Fantastic, Girl.  Good, good job.  I'm impressed.  Thanks for all the detail. t
t2f

Jahn

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2007, 08:30:50 PM »
The descent was easy, though first i thought my legs would be very tired. They say that most of the accidents in the mountains happen while getting down. Because people are then tired and incautious. I felt food though, not too tired. I still had the headache and sickness all the way down, but it was milder while moving. At some point it got very hot and i couldn’t wait to get rid of all the clothes. The descent also seemed endless but finally i was down.

Great story T.
In the descend it sounds like you walk alone. Was it so? I thought that you always moved in groups, for safety and support and such matters?

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2007, 08:46:31 PM »
Very interesting taimi. It is good that you have written this all down. The photos are stunning!

On what you have said, the feeling on the mountain and the sleep experiences, indicates you have dislodged things deep inside you. This has been and excellent effort, on an internal and external level.

Let us know if you have more of these awaking problems, and exactly how they feel.

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
  • Let us dance of freedom~
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2007, 10:07:29 PM »
 :) :) :)

The moment you mentioned the climb my mind strayed to your artistic camera lense and I have been looking forward to seeing your eye's discoveries.  You have a beautiful link to your creative energys linked in that, thanks for sharing it here.

First when i came back, i was not so enthusiastic about the thought, but then it all started to come by itself. Now i actually see some things in a different light about this journey. It seemed quite ordinary first, but now i'm starting to have a better overview.

You are a brave one to attempt such! No fear in that.. I admire your courage.

Its been my experience that the 'ordinary' is where the 'magic' waits sleeping.. ready to be awakend.  Its a state of 'mind'

Without constant complete silence meditation - samadi - we lose ourselves in the game.  MM

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk