Author Topic: Skunk  (Read 133 times)

sugilite

Skunk
« on: July 31, 2007, 03:46:05 AM »

Last night, with the help of my dog Maggie,  I was introduced, real close up to a pretty little skunk.  Whew!  It's a good thing they are so cute! Because they sure smell awful!!!
Even though he smelled up my dog, my entire backyard, inside the House somewhat and the whole neighbourhood, I thanked the skunk for dropping by and for the wisdom he left with me.

I will not tolerate abuse in any form.
I have power!
I will not let others use me.
I am a divine child!
I will sift out friends, keeping the good.
That is my responsibility!
Like the skunk, I will learn when to be disagreeable.
That is my right!

(found this on the Net http://www.linsdomain.com/totems/pages/skunk.htm)

But it's funny, I could hear what the skunk was saying, what his message was, before I looked it up on the internet.  Felt like he was protecting somehow, keeping watch.  He's been around the house for a few days, just waddling around.  Last night he wanted to make himself known.  Maggie had never met a skunk before.  I don't think she'll be getting quite so close next time!

[

« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 03:55:44 AM by sugilite »

erik

Re: Skunk
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 03:49:07 AM »
 :)

nichi

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 05:39:09 AM »
Heheheh! That smell will wake you up out of a sound sleep, with eyes watering! Unforgettable! One of nature's best protections, except for one thing: it definitely takes the experience of one before you really 'know'. The verbal wisdom doesn't quite do the trick. But once you know... you know!

Incidently, if you see one repeatedly patting the ground with his paws, head fer the hills!

sugilite

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 06:43:00 AM »

Incidently, if you see one repeatedly patting the ground with his paws, head fer the hills!

gotcha!

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 09:52:20 PM »
how interesting, a skunk. I have no idea of their significance, as we don't have them here. They look quite beautiful. How does the smell 'get on things'? I mean do they spray, or is it just the air-borne particles?

sugilite

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 11:25:55 PM »
Yes, they spray.
Wow, Micheal, you don't know what you are missing.  If only there were some way, some way, we could bottle some and send it to Oz. lol
Phew!

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 11:38:08 PM »
does it smell like my farts after eating too much liquorice?

nichi

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 12:00:36 AM »
A mixture of sulphur and ammonia with a hint of musk.

Offline tommy2

• Pir
  • An opportunity to achieve a great end.
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 05:20:21 AM »
Actually, skunks do not spray.  They excrete their smellies into their urine from a special sac and then urinate on their tail.  They then whip their tail to spray the smellies toward the threat.  My cousin and I raised them as kids and witnessed this many times.  Our poor dogs.  Only tomato-based liquid will wash off the smell right.  Pee yeww!  t
t2f

tangerine dream

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 09:43:20 AM »

Last night, with the help of my dog Maggie,  I was introduced, real close up to a pretty little skunk.  Whew!  It's a good thing they are so cute! Because they sure smell awful!!!
Even though he smelled up my dog, my entire backyard, inside the House somewhat and the whole neighbourhood, I thanked the skunk for dropping by and for the wisdom he left with me.

I will not tolerate abuse in any form.
I have power!
I will not let others use me.
I am a divine child!
I will sift out friends, keeping the good.
That is my responsibility!
Like the skunk, I will learn when to be disagreeable.
That is my right!

(found this on the Net http://www.linsdomain.com/totems/pages/skunk.htm)

But it's funny, I could hear what the skunk was saying, what his message was, before I looked it up on the internet.  Felt like he was protecting somehow, keeping watch.  He's been around the house for a few days, just waddling around.  Last night he wanted to make himself known.  Maggie had never met a skunk before.  I don't think she'll be getting quite so close next time!

This is interesting that the skunks seemed to have been warning me.  I posted this post only a few days before Derek and I had the first big fight and the police were called. 
Thank you Skunkies and Spirit for keeping an eye on us!
I feel blessed.

nichi

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 01:08:08 AM »
Hey Sug! I thought of you this morning about 6am pst.

A family of skunks was slowly moving through the yard, heading for the crackers I had crumbled up beneath the bird feeder. Mama and 3 babies, all with their tails up, moving huddled together, like one unit. One big ball of fluff!

Pretty, but glad they didn't see me and do their thang!

From the net...

tangerine dream

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 04:42:40 AM »
Too cute!!
 :-*

tangerine dream

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2009, 11:08:49 AM »
I know Spring has finally arrived, when I open my front door in the morning and the first thing that greets me, before the birds or the wind, or the smell of fresh grass or dew is the sharp, pungeant smell of the skunks.   :P

It makes me happy to know they are back in the neighbourhood and roaming the area at night, keeping everyone safe while we sleep. 

tangerine dream

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2009, 08:08:31 PM »
I opened my door to a baby skunk this morning!  Not five minutes ago.  Maggie was whining at the front door, she wanted out, so I was going to let her out for her morning potty break.  I opened the door and had to hold Maggies collar as she was trying to bolt out of the house and we live by a busy road, she has to be leashed in the front yard.

Luckily I was busy with Maggie and we both didn't just barge out the door or we might have gotten a smelly surprise.   Just one little skunkie was right outside the door and I think we shocked him.  Thankfully he didn't spray us!   But he looked a bit confused as to how to get back down the steps.  I think skunks can climb but I don't know if they can jump well.  He looked as though he was about to dive right off the top step and then thought better of it.  Turned around and waddled back down the steps!

Lucky we didn't get sprayed though!  Whew!

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2009, 11:38:56 PM »
Close call! But very cute!
Not here, not there, but everywhere - always right before your eyes.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk