Author Topic: Soma Book Club?  (Read 634 times)

nichi

Re: Soma Book Club?
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2007, 08:16:42 AM »
I did skim through it and found little that I hadn't read in Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill or on several websites about the law of attraction.

Not to mention, the Kybalion, the works of Emmet Fox, Ernest Holmes, Catherine Ponder, Terry Cole-Whitaker, etc. etc.

Offline daphne

• Rishi
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2007, 04:15:49 PM »
I am currently participating in an online study group of one of Alice Bailey's books - The Treatise on Cosmic Fire. It is a 5 year project!  :)
Much of it is involved in reading the same section at the same time - new sections begin at new moon and full moon and then there's time for "revision" too. There is a commentary posted, and then whoever finds anything of particular interest in that section, posts too, and some discussion may ensue, as well as lead to other things, though the discussion is pretty much centered around relevancy to the section. There are a couple of hundred people involved - if not more by now..
It is a different format from a 'book club" - never been in one, so don't really know what is done in a book club.

I also went to a physical study group of another of Alice Bailey's books - Esoteric Healing. Was rather an interesting format - almost ritualistic in part.

Another online reading I was involved in was with Wisdom Impressions - The Nature of The Soul - by Lucille Cedarcrans, a sort of later version of Alice Bailey, a more 7th ray approach (and still not fully accepted by main stream Alice Bailey diehards; though making inroads   :D  )
That was rather fascinating too! We read a new chapter every week - took a year to complete, and had 'assignments' to report on; 7th ray being very much an 'embodiment' type of ray..

At present, I am reading a Terry Pratchett book..   :P

"The compulsion to possess and hold on to things is not unique. Everyone who wants to follow the warrior's path has to rid himself of this fixation in order not to focus our dreaming body on the weak face of the second attention." - The Eagle's Gift

Offline Nick

• Rishi
  • Life Branches.
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2007, 10:53:18 PM »
daphne
This sounds very interesting! You see I've been looking for this type of thing. So when Ellen started this thread I saw it as a sign. Now you've opened my eyes to see that there are online groups doing this type of thing. So if our Soma thing doesn't work...But, I want the Soma thing to work. Lets a get a readin people. :)
"As long as we confuse the myriad forms of the divine lila with reality, without perceiving the unity of Brahman underlying all these forms, we are under the spell of maya..."
 -Fritjof Capra, The Tao of Physics: An Exploration of the Parallels between Modern Physics and Eastern Mysticism

erismoksha

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2007, 03:41:34 AM »
Ian - if you want it to work, it will work ;)

Im gonna check the library and see what books might be available and other choices, too :)

erismoksha

« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2007, 08:20:51 AM »
Some of my favorite goodies from A. Bailey is what she wrote on Neptune and Glamour. Ive found some of her interps on this subject to be pretty helpful in interpreting transits.

I am currently participating in an online study group of one of Alice Bailey's books - The Treatise on Cosmic Fire. It is a 5 year project!  :)
Much of it is involved in reading the same section at the same time - new sections begin at new moon and full moon and then there's time for "revision" too. There is a commentary posted, and then whoever finds anything of particular interest in that section, posts too, and some discussion may ensue, as well as lead to other things, though the discussion is pretty much centered around relevancy to the section. There are a couple of hundred people involved - if not more by now..
It is a different format from a 'book club" - never been in one, so don't really know what is done in a book club.

I also went to a physical study group of another of Alice Bailey's books - Esoteric Healing. Was rather an interesting format - almost ritualistic in part.

Another online reading I was involved in was with Wisdom Impressions - The Nature of The Soul - by Lucille Cedarcrans, a sort of later version of Alice Bailey, a more 7th ray approach (and still not fully accepted by main stream Alice Bailey diehards; though making inroads   :D  )
That was rather fascinating too! We read a new chapter every week - took a year to complete, and had 'assignments' to report on; 7th ray being very much an 'embodiment' type of ray..

At present, I am reading a Terry Pratchett book..   :P

erismoksha

« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2007, 08:37:19 AM »
I should add, another book I wish to read is "Buddha: A Story of Enlightenment"
"Buddha: A Story of Enlightenment" by Deepak Chopra.

From Publishers Weekly

Starred Review. Eastern philosophy popularizer and mind-body pioneer Chopra has done novels before, and critics have not found fiction his long suit. That should change with this tale of how the Indian prince Siddhartha came to be the enlightened one, the Buddha. The subject is tailor-made for Chopra. He can draw on what he's familiar with: the ancient Indian culture that shaped the historic personage of the Buddha, and the powers of mind that meditation harnesses. Although the novel begins a little slowly with exposition and character introduction, once the character of the Buddha is old enough to occupy center stage, Chopra simply portrays the natural internal conflict experienced by any human seeking spiritual wisdom and transformation. Centered on a single character, the narrative moves forward simply and inexorably. Especially imaginative and intriguing is the low-key nature of the Buddha's enlightenment experience. In case Chopra's fans want something more direct, an epilogue and concluding "practical guide" offer nonfiction commentary and teaching on core Buddhist principles. Chopra thanks a film director friend for sparking the project, and the novel has clear cinematic potential. This fast and easy-to-read book teaches without being didactic. Chopra scores a fiction winner. (May)

erismoksha

« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2007, 03:42:47 AM »
I just got notice that The Secret is available at the library, I had them put it on hold for me, so if anyone will be reading that let me know. Probably pick it up tonight.

Offline Nick

• Rishi
  • Life Branches.
Re: Soma Book Club: Rumi
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2007, 11:19:30 AM »
I was reading Rumi to my daughter tonight. It dawned on me, why not Rumi?I was thinking we would do a study of book Rumi's Masnavi.

I imagine a long and pragmatic study, where we endeavor to understand not only through the words, but through out actions in applying the wisdom to our lives. I was thinking a very long study like in the group Daphne attends.

I'm going to start a thread in this book section, get the ball rolling. If anyone wants to join in on the discussion this is cool, if not, this is cool too. It will be at each person's own pace, which for me will be very slow since I have so little time to carve out.
Here is the whole Masnavi online:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/isl/masnavi/index.htm

« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 11:21:52 AM by Dracohelix »
"As long as we confuse the myriad forms of the divine lila with reality, without perceiving the unity of Brahman underlying all these forms, we are under the spell of maya..."
 -Fritjof Capra, The Tao of Physics: An Exploration of the Parallels between Modern Physics and Eastern Mysticism

nichi

« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2007, 11:27:59 AM »
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, Draco, that's interesting!  :) :) :)

I have become spoiled by the translations of Coleman Barks and Nader Khalili, but I believe you're onto something here!

So, how shall it be organized --- just the raw readings of the ghazals of the mathnawi?
T'will be hard to not just hum with love!  :-*

In explaining it Reason sticks fast, as an ass in mire;
Naught but Love itself can explain love and lovers!

:)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 12:18:19 PM by nichi »

nichi

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2007, 11:37:41 AM »
I'm wondering if this is a little different than what ellen had in mind, but I say, let's do it!   There's nothing written here that one can't read one of the books that have been proposed, and do the rumi study-group!

Since it's on-line, I'm with ya all the way on the rumi! Count me in!

Hey--- make a new thread, Draco!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 11:40:35 AM by nichi »

Offline Nick

• Rishi
  • Life Branches.
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2007, 11:57:17 AM »
Sorry... :P I've been out of the loop a bit, didn't mean to step on anyone's toes. I didn't realize Ellen had already gotten started with her thingy on this.

Is it that The Secret thingy? I had thought that was just sort of a normal discussion, either way sorry again.

I envision this not as a "book club" in the traditional sense, but as a harmonious group effort. Us working together to come to a deeper understanding and appreciation of Rumi's work, leading to the same for each of our lives. Kind of like when we all do our ceremonies at the same time with Tom. A group effort not only to study the Masnavi, but to bring us closer together.
Any suggestions to achieve this vision are greatly appreciated.   

nichi

« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2007, 11:59:36 AM »
I'm not sure ellen settled on which book yet.

But you're right --- this is something apart from the book-thing:: it's a path-thing! What a great idea too!

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
  • Let us dance of freedom~
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2007, 12:03:19 PM »
Thanks for the link...

I just saved it to read along with you all.. Ill share thoughts if they should find words.
Without constant complete silence meditation - samadi - we lose ourselves in the game.  MM

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2007, 10:24:01 PM »
OK, that rumi looks nice - i am happy with that, but i still think a normal book would go down well.

i have thought about this. it can't be too long, should have enough thought content per every few pages for a good size bite. can't be too heavy or the lighter minded will drop off. would be good to be an easy read, but i do have problems with modern 'popular' texts.

in absence of handwaving agreement, I've looked at our library... passed over the Complete Kama Sutra, The History of Japanese Religion, The Speaking Tree (which i think is excellent but I  haven't looked at it), The Soul of the White Ant, Cave in the Snow, The Way of the White Clouds (that's a good one) etc.

point being, if it's not already available on-line, I could scan a few pages every week for us to chew on. I'd scan a half dozen pages, then we could read and comment over the week.

Now I have found some suggestions: here's my first:

The Last Barrier, by Reshad Feild

Taimi

« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2007, 02:13:33 AM »
point being, if it's not already available on-line, I could scan a few pages every week for us to chew on. I'd scan a half dozen pages, then we could read and comment over the week.

Now I have found some suggestions: here's my first:

The Last Barrier, by Reshad Feild

This could work for me. The book looks interesting too. And it's not avaiable in my language anyway.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk