Author Topic: A Samurai Warrior's Creed  (Read 367 times)

Offline Zamurito

• Pir
    • Impeccability
A Samurai Warrior's Creed
« on: October 21, 2007, 09:07:50 AM »

A Samurai Warrior's Creed

I have no parents--I make the heavens and earth my parents.
I have no home--I make awareness my home.
I have no life or death--I make the tides of breathing my life and death.
I have no divine power--I make honesty my divine power.
I have no means--I make understanding my means.
I have no magic secrets--I make character my magic secret.
I have no body--I make endurance my body.
I have no eyes--I make the flash of lightening my eyes.
I have no ears--I make sensibility my ears.
I have no limbs--I make promptness my limbs.
I have no strategy--I make "unshadowed by thought" my strategy.
I have no designs--I make "seizing opportunity by the forelock" my design.
I have no miracles--I make right-action my miracles.
I have no principles--I make adaptability to all circumstances my principles.
I have no tactics--I make emptiness and fullness my tactics.
I have no talents--I make ready wit my talent.
I have no friends--I make my mind my friend.
I have no enemy--I make carelessness my enemy.
I have no armor--I make benevolence and righteousness my armor.
I have no castle--I make immovable-mind my castle.
I have no sword--I make absence of self my sword.

Anonymous Samurai, fourteenth century
Found in The Book of Runes. Ralph H. Blum, St. Martin's Press, NY,

"Discipline is, indeed, the supreme joy of feeling reverent awe; of watching, with your mouth open, whatever is behind those secret doors."

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
Re: A Samurai Warrior's Creed
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 10:23:33 AM »
while we are at it, we should add some priceless extracts from the Hagakure.

anyone?

Offline Zamurito

• Pir
    • Impeccability
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 10:52:31 AM »
while we are at it, we should add some priceless extracts from the Hagakure.

anyone?

Good idea.

z
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 11:03:42 AM by Freedom »
"Discipline is, indeed, the supreme joy of feeling reverent awe; of watching, with your mouth open, whatever is behind those secret doors."

Offline Zamurito

• Pir
    • Impeccability
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 11:01:15 AM »
I suppose we should start at the beginning...

"Although it stands to reason that a samurai should be mindful of the Way of the Samurai, it would seem that we are all negligent. Consequently, if someone were to ask, "What is the true meaning of the Way of the Samurai?" the person who would be able to answer promptly is rare. This is because it has not been established in one's mind beforehand. From this, one's unmindfulness of the Way can be known.
Negligence is an extreme thing."

"The Way of the Samurai is found in death. When it comes to either/or, there is only the quick choice of death. It is not particularly difficult. Be determined and advance. To say that dying without reaching one's aim is to die a dog's death is the frivolous way of sophisticates. When pressed with the choice of life or death, it is not necessary to gain one's aim.
We all want to live. And in large part we make our logic according to what we like. But not having attained our aim and continuing to live is cowardice. This is a thin dangerous line. To die without gaming one's aim is a dog's death and fanaticism. But there is no shame in this. This is the substance of the Way of the Samurai. If by setting one's heart right every morning and evening, one is able to live as though his body were already dead, he pains freedom in the Way. His whole life will be without blame, and he will succeed in his calling."

Hagakure
The Book of the Samurai
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Offline Zamurito

• Pir
    • Impeccability
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 02:24:56 AM »
"There is surely nothing other than the single purpose of the present moment. A man's whole life is a succession of moment after moment. If one fully understands the present moment, there will be nothing else to do, and nothing else to pursue. Live being true to the single purpose of the moment.
Everyone lets the present moment slip by, then looks for it as though he thought it were somewhere else. No one seems to have noticed this fact. But grasping this firmly, one must pile experience upon experience. And once one has come to this understanding he will be a different person from that point on, though he may not always bear it in mind.
When one understands this settling into single-mindedness well, his affairs will thin out. Loyalty is also contained within this single-mindedness."

"Be true to the thought of the moment and avoid distraction. Other than continuing to exert yourself, enter into nothing else, but go to the extent of living single thought by single thought."

Hagakure
The Book of the Samurai
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Offline Zamurito

• Pir
    • Impeccability
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 02:34:38 AM »
"Human life is truly a short affair. It is better to live doing the things that you like. It is foolish to live within this dream of a world seeing unpleasantness and doing only things that you do not like. But it is important never to tell this to young people as it is something that would be harmful if incorrectly understood.
Personally, I like to sleep. And I intend to appropriately confine myself more and more to my living quarters and pass my life away sleeping."

"I had a dream on the night of the twenty-eighth day of the twelfth month in the third year of Shotoku. The content of the dream changed gradually to the extent that I strengthened my will. The condition of a person is revealed by his dreams. It would be good to make companions of your dreams and to put forth effort."

Hagakure
The Book of the Samurai
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 06:03:23 PM »
"Human life is truly a short affair. It is better to live doing the things that you like. It is foolish to live within this dream of a world seeing unpleasantness and doing only things that you do not like. But it is important never to tell this to young people as it is something that would be harmful if incorrectly understood."

I always liked that one

erik

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 06:13:06 PM »
I wonder if there is anything in this world of ours that could be interpreted only one way or that has a single meaning only. :)

There have been quite a few teachers in my family. They say that the worst kind of lunatics they have ever met are so-called Steiner-kids who have been allowed from early on to do whatever they have pleased. They are lazy, almost totally lack the ability to concentrate, have hyper-inflated egos, lack any inner discipline. It takes tremendous effort to get them really work on something.

Steiner's idea about letting kids do whatever they want is a 'recipe for disaster', is their verdict.

Go figure! :)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 06:17:47 PM by erik »

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 08:07:55 PM »
i think that is an attitude without knowledge of Steiner's educational system which is very thorougher - to say they are allowed to do what they want - trained steiner teaches would roll their eyes at that one.

in fact, Steiner was very keen on discipline - one of his techniques was repetition - a child had to be made to repeat something over and over, and to leave off this 'explaining' that many parents do, as their mind has not come out of the sheath related to that capacity.

the problem with 'Steiner childern' is not so much Steiner, but the parents. The parents who seek out Steiner schools for their children tend to be air-heads, and full of such attitudes as not being strict with their kids - it was a fashion that came in when I was a kid, that was probably a good balance to the old method which stifled creativity. Unfortunately, the truth is as real today as ever - spoiling is the worst thing one can do to another when they are children. In the end it causes so much suffering for them.

Another problem we have here in Aust is that very few Steiner schools have proper Steiner trained teachers, so there is a lot of rubbish gets in.

i would suggest, if you want them to have proper understanding of his approach, you should get a book on his education techniques and ask them to read it before they criticised. After all one could say the same about Christians.

erik

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 08:52:41 PM »
It sounds like there is a lack of understanding of what Steiner actually envisaged on all sides: parents, kids, teachers of Steiner schools and teachers of other schools?

Possible.

There is quite a bit of that half-understood stuff floating around. It gives dark background to that 'do what you like'-idea - it seems to be reduced to utter indulging and consequent degeneration. Instead of people with higher awareness, Mowglis are produced. Not the fairytale Mowglis, but the real ones...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 08:54:31 PM by erik »

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 09:22:01 PM »
this is not the thread to discuss Steiner - I have thought to open one in the Other section. Actually he should have an area all to himself, but unfortunately he appeals to only certain types of minds.

So I will get around to it, and yes, I'll also talk about what you have observed - many Steiner followers or advocates know very little about his real work and ideas - why is a curious thing which I have pondered for many years.

But then as I say, so too with Christianity - Christ was plainly a pretty wild guy, yet today 'Christian' has become a by-word for conventionality: conservative goody-goodys and pompous bigots. Strangely enough, Steiner himself gives an insight into why this happened, from an astral perspective of history.

for another time - I have many more Hagakure quotes to put in here yet

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2007, 09:54:37 PM »
"A samurai who becomes tired and discouraged in times of misfortune is of no use."

Offline Zamurito

• Pir
    • Impeccability
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2007, 01:21:14 AM »
"Though it may be said that the gods dislike impurity, if one thinks a bit, he will see that he has not been negligent in his daily worship. Thus, one's previous faithfulness has been exactly for the sake of praying for good fortune in such times as when one is barbed in blood and climbing over the dead. At such a time, if it is a god that turns back when one is defiled, then one should know clearly that praying is ineffective and should worship regardless of defilement."

"At times of great trouble or disaster, one word will suffice. At times of happiness, too, one word will be enough. And when meeting or talking with others, one word will do. One should think well and then speak. This is clear and firm, and one should learn it with no doubts. It is a matter of putting forth one's whole effort and having the correct attitude previously. This is very difficult to explain but is something that everyone should work on in his heart. If a person has not learned this in his heart, it is not likely that he will understand it."

Hagakure
The Book of the Samurai
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2007, 10:37:03 PM »
"Hagakure" means
'Hidden among the leaves'

written by Jocho Yamamoto
originally transcribed by Tsuramoto Tashiro.

I'm unsure of how the different English versions arose, but the quotations used by Mishima are much superior to the version of Yamamoto Tsunetomo's feely available on the Net. If this translator is the same as the earlier one I don't know, but the internet one is called a second edition. There are some extracts very similar, as the ones quoted by Zam above.

There is real power in Jocho's words and attitude. Suspend your usual self's judgements and ideas - settle back and feel this man's sword of spirit:

"A man who earns a reputation for being skilled at a technical art is idiotic. Because of his foolishness in concentrating his energies on one thing, he has become good at it by refusing to think of anything else. Such a person is of no use at all."

"A calculating man is a coward, I say this because calculations all have to do with profit and loss. To die is a loss, to live a gain, so one decides not to die. Therefore one is a coward. Similarly a man of education camouflages with his intellect and eloquence the cowardice or greed that is his true nature. Many people do not realise this."

"The first thing a samurai says on any occasion is extremely important. He displays with one remark all the valour of the samurai. In times of peace it is language that manifests valour. Even in times of chaos and destruction, great bravery may be revealed in a single word. One might say this one word is a flower of the heart."

"In the last analysis the only thing that matters is the resolution of the moment. A samurai makes one resolution after another, until they add up to his whole life. Once he realises this, he need never feel impatient, he need seek nothing beyond the moment. He merely lives his life concentrating on his resolution. However people tend to forget this, and to imagine that something else of importance exists. Very few realise the truth.

Learning to follow one's resolution without error cannot be accomplished before the passage of many years. But after one has reached that stage of enlightenment, even if one does not consciously think about it one's resolution will never change. If one perfects a single resolution, one will be seldom confused. This is loyalty to one's beliefs."

"I thought about it along the way, and it occurred to me that human beings are extraordinary cleverly devised puppets. Though they are not dangling from strings, they can walk, jump, even speak - how skillfully they are made. But all the same, before the next Bon Festival they may die and come back to visit us as spirits. What a futile existence! People always seem to forget this."

"Someone once said, 'There are two kinds of pride, inner and outer'. A samurai who does not have both inward and outward pride is of no use. Pride may be compared to the blade of a sword, which must be sharpened and then replaced in its scabbard. From time to time it is drawn and raised to the level of one's eyebrows, wiped clean, and then replaced in its scabbard. If a samurai's sword is always drawn and he is constantly brandishing the naked blade, people will find him unapproachable, and he will have no friends. If on the other hand the sword is never drawn it will rust, the blade will become dull, and people will make light of him."

"When calling on a friend who has met with a personal disaster, what one says to him by way of encouragement is extremely important. He will be able to read one's real motives in these words. A true samurai must never seem to flag or lose heart. He must push on courageously as though sure to come out on top. Otherwise he is utterly useless. Here is the secret of encouraging a friend in trouble."

And lastly, what captures this whole Code of the Warrior:

"I discovered the way of the samurai is death. In a fifty-fifty life or death crisis, simply settle it by choosing immediate death. There is nothing complicated about it. Just brace yourself and proceed. Some say that to die without accomplishing one's mission is to die in vain, but this is the calculating, imitation samurai ethic of arrogant Osaka merchants. To make the correct choice in a fifty-fifty situation is nearly impossible. We would all prefer to live. And so it is quite natural in such a situation that one should find some excuse to living on. But one who chooses to go on living having failed in one's mission will be despised as a coward and a bungler. This is the precarious part. If one dies after having failed, it is a fanatic's death, death in vain. It is not however dishonorable. Such a death is in fact the Way of the Samurai. In order to be a perfect samurai, it is necessary to prepare oneself for death morning and evening day in day out. When a samurai is constantly prepared for death, he has mastered the Way of the Samurai, and he may unerringly devote his life to the service of his lord."

Only in the few blossoms lingering,
Still hidden among the leaves,
Do I seem to feel
The presence of her
For whom I secretly long.

After his retirement, Jocho called himself 'Eternal Morning, Sunrise Mountain'. He named his hut 'Eaves of the Morning Sun', where he lived in seclusion. Later he changed its name to "Hut of Long Religious Life'.

Offline Zamurito

• Pir
    • Impeccability
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2007, 12:12:41 AM »
Hi Michael,

I enjoy Jocho's work.  I'm unsure of what's on the Internet as I'm typing these quotes out of the book itself.  Seems to bring the meaning of what's being stated much closer to home ;)

"By being impatient, matters are damaged and great works cannot be done. If one considers something not to be a matter of time, it will be done surprisingly quickly. Times change. Think about the world fifteen years from now. It should be rather different, but if one were to look into a book of prophecies, I imagine that it would not be that different. In the passing fifteen years, not one of the useful men of today will be left. And even if men who are young now come forth, probably less than half will make it. Worth gradually wanes. For example, if there were a shortage of gold, silver would become treasure, and if there were a shortage of silver, copper would be valued. With changing times and the waning of men's capacities, one would be of suitable worth even if he put forth only slight effort. Something like fifteen years is the space of a dream. If a man but takes care of his health, in the end he will have accomplished his purpose and will be a valuable person. Certainly in a period when masters are many, one must put forth considerable effort. But at the time when the world is sliding into a decline, to excel is easy."

Hagakure
The Book of the Samurai
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk