Author Topic: Living in the Now  (Read 2256 times)

Offline Zamurito

• Pir
    • Impeccability
Living in the Now
« on: November 03, 2007, 02:37:12 PM »

In response to Ellens post concerning Meditation I delved back into 'living in the Now' with words...something I've really been working at in silence and have not spoke or written about much.  Figured I'd post over here and keep the ramblings out of her thread   8)

Our swaddled and weary senses restrain us in a
mysterious land of suspension and removal which has
the qualities of distance and separation.  We let nothing
really touch us and become slaves to automatic living,
paying very little notice to what goes on around us.
Thus, we deny ourselves the fullness of living in the
now, which requires that we must be able to open fully
our senses and to direct our awareness.

Herbert A. Otto
"Sensory Awakening through Smell, Touch, and Taste"
in Ways of Growth  1968  p. 50.

What is the use of planning to be able to eat next week
unless I can really enjoy the meals when they come?  If
I am so busy planning how to eat next week that I
cannot fully enjoy what I am eating now, I will be in
the same predicament when next week's meals
become "now."
If my happiness at this moment consists largely in
reviewing happy memories and expectations, I am but
dimly aware of this present.  I shall still be dimly aware
of the present when the good things that I have been
expecting come to pass.  For I shall have formed a
habit of looking behind and ahead, making it difficult
for me to attend to the here and now.  If, then, my
awareness of the past and future makes me less aware
of the present, I must begin to wonder whether I am
actually living in the real world.

Alan W. Watts, The Wisdom of Insecurity  1951  p. 35.

Here's another re-post:

We can see that experience gives rise to knowledge, which becomes our memory, from which arises thought. So thought is always about the past; history. We cannot think about the present moment. It is impossible. Once we have a thought about something, reflect on it, it is past, even if it was just a split second ago. It is not the present. If we are thinking, it is always about a moment, a movement or action, that has already occurred.

Of course, we cannot stop thinking by trying to not think about it. That sort of circular effort is endless, and never leads to any realization. Instead, we must simply be Aware. When we look at something like a sunset, is it possible to just look at it, without immediately putting ourselves in the past by commenting "Oh, how beautiful"? Because when we do this we are inserting a space, a separation, between ourselves and what we are observing.  Can you simply be, without bringing any history, without adding anything extra to it?

Once we can understand and accept this, then and only then can we truly begin to learn. Then and only then can we have ‘no-mind,’ no internal dialogue.’ 

So to be constantly in a state of not knowing, this no-mind, is to be able to actually learn. This is to be in a state of constant learning. Then life itself is as exciting and curious as watching a movie or reading a book. When we are reading a good story, or watching one unfold, our attention is always focused and in harmony with the story. We are drawn into it, and we follow it with all of our senses. And even though we know it is only a story, it can move us to laughter and to tears.

Life, as such, is the ultimate story; much more compelling than any movie ever was. Because the story of our life is never over. It never stops. You can never put the book down for dinner, or walk out of the theatre of this life. This story only ends when we die; and yet even this we cannot know for sure. As long as we are conscious, we must continue to be open and learn in every moment.

Only when we are able to lead a life of this kind of thought-less, open inquiry, having available to us and using but not depending on past knowledge, only then can we come into contact with that which cannot be accumulated or measured. It cannot be measured because there is no "amount" to it. It doesn't gather, but continues to unfold, infinitely. It is ever-new and constantly opening right before our very senses.

Then, when we are in this very practical and real, yet indescribable state, this is what we can truly call being-in-the-Now.

This, this what I describe above, is what I've been working on. 

It seems over the past few years I've gotten quite far away from this living in the Now, and am on a path to recapture it.  Many a fool have led me astray, although none as foolish as myself. 

Thank you for your patience here folks...

z
"Discipline is, indeed, the supreme joy of feeling reverent awe; of watching, with your mouth open, whatever is behind those secret doors."

erik

Re: Living in the Now
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 06:09:00 PM »

Offline Zamurito

• Pir
    • Impeccability
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 03:40:42 AM »

...some more:

http://restlesssoma.com.au/soma/index.php?topic=1964.0

Hi Juhani,

I found your post only after my hasty decision to post mine here.  ;)  I knew someone had started a thread on this very topic.

There are some comments I'd like to make concerning Kris' post, but one thing I'd like to ask of you Juhani, or anyone else that's familiar with Mr. Raphael's work, (Jahn?) would be to take his post and give an explanation of what YOU think it says, in your own words.  Your interpretation. 

Nothing worse than taking a third party post and discussing it when the author of it is not around.  Again, if you can tell me what you make of it, then we can discuss what you think and what I think and leave those that aren't here alone ;)

Thanks in advance...

Zam

"Discipline is, indeed, the supreme joy of feeling reverent awe; of watching, with your mouth open, whatever is behind those secret doors."

erismoksha

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 03:42:39 AM »
Good post Zam, thanks.

erik

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 04:07:44 AM »
what YOU think it says, in your own words.

I take it literally - it is about living from one's core, from one's spine. One can do it - one lives in the moment. The rest is practice, practice, practice - about how to actually live from the core :)

Jahn

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 04:53:52 AM »
Good idea Zam.

Kris use to say if one isn't here and now one is nowhere at all. Nobody is home.

First the core:

"Where is the “here” in “Be Here Now?” The “here” exists at the core of our being, physically in our spinal column. This place is sometimes called the place of the Core Star by some Knowledge Schools. The Hindus refer to this shaft of light as the Shushumna. A fundamental secret of Masters is to continuously live from this place.

What does living from this place mean? How do we do it?"

The spinal column is our core. Not the mental mind or the mitote in our head.

1) We are supposed to live from the core of our being. Q=How do we do it?

In fact, looking closer to what Kris writes we do not get much guidance more than that we shall bring back the energy that we spend.

"An essential aspect of living from our core is to always recall and return our energy back to this core. Toltecs understand the importance of recalling and returning our energy from people, places, and things in our life. The recapitulation is one such technique for doing so"

Most people plan and worries for what they shall do next weekend, next time they meet some person, their old family or something else in the future. And when we get older we think a lot what happened back then, start to tell the stories. People love to get fed up with other peoples stories. Why else would the buy and read so many novels and watch that many films. Not to mention the kids with their games, adopting characters, playing roles. Anything that can get you away from your self and here and now is selling. Of course we need entertainment but with few exceptions the entertainment industry is used to get away. To dream ... nothing wrong with dreams either. We need dreams in the same way as we need hope but we must come fully into our body and fully be here and now.

Let the future be the future - not today.
I plan for tomorrow. Prepare documents, clothes etc but I do not let myself to be occupied by tomorrow because the energy I have is only enough for today.

Let yesterday rest in peace.
I still have some things that steal some energy from the past. What I said in a interview in february this year - it stills bothers me for example. As long it does I give power away to my past and I loose contact with the here and now. Best is to cut the cords with the ghosts from the past and recall the energy that we spent all over the place.

One technique to get more and more here and now that is used by the Dalai Lama is to get to bed for the night like preparing the death. First we recall what happened during the day and state our gratefulness for the significant events, or whatever we are grateful for and then we prepare our last breath.

The nice continuation on this "going to death" exercise is when we wake up in the morning. Then our first questions naturally are:
- Who am I?
- Where am I?

.~.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 05:02:04 AM by Jahn »

Offline Zamurito

• Pir
    • Impeccability
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 05:23:14 AM »
Thank Jahn, makes it a bit more clear.  I will address a few of these points at a later date, as I'm running out of time at the moment. 

z

Offline Zamurito

• Pir
    • Impeccability
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 05:25:51 AM »

Celebrate the temporary.  Live in the Now.

I mean right now, not later this afternoon.

Not after awhile.

Not in a few hours, when the dishes are done and the kids are in bed.  Not next week, when the in-laws have left.  Not next year, when you're caught up on the doctor bills.

I mean celebrate now.  Today.  This minute.  There is something in your life to celebrate right now!  Sure, maybe you've had a tough life.  Maybe you've just had some bad news.  Maybe the company has been laying people off and you're out of a job and scraping by.  Maybe you've had an illness in your family and you have a mountain of bills.  Okay.

Perhaps things have been going pretty smoothly, for that matter.  Maybe you've had good news and the family's all well.  Everything seems under control for the moment, but life still seems a bit flat.  How come?

I want you to try something.

It won't take long.  You can spare five minutes.  Can't you?

First, remove whatever distractions you can.  Turn off the radio or television or computer.  It will still be there when you come back   ;D  Or if you're lucky enough to have a quiet room, go there.  Dim the lights or turn them off.

Now stand.  Plant your feet squarely on the floor about six inches apart.  Close your eyes.  Put your shoulders back and stand straight.  Take a deep breathe and let some of the tension in you ride out with your breath.

Permit yourself to relax inside.

Take another deep breath, inhaling gradually and feeling your breath slowly fill your abdomen and your chest.  Do this several times, and concentrate on how it feels to stand relaxed and breathe into your own depth and your own strength.

erik

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 05:34:58 AM »
Well...
Close your eyes and shift your attention with an intent anywhere you like - is it the same thing? You could shift to relaxed state, e.g.

How about not leaving a single energetic trail behind?
Walking like a warrior whose footprints are blown away by wind in a few moments and then...it is like he never was...as he was in now...then.

I see these things quite different.
Are they same for you?

erismoksha

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2007, 06:28:46 AM »
This is good too. Its difficult to do. Ive really been having to wax my skills on this lately.

Like even in those twelve step programs (my mom was in one), a day at a time. Thats all we really can take, and we cannot function if we're worrying about shit, coming up ahead, about what may or may not happen.

The main way I perceive the 'message of the now,' cause like Ive said before, its an old concept, Buddha too, is when we're in the now, we're in tune with that which is 'observer,' or us. Not the mind 'mitote' as Jahn put it, which flutters around, and isnt engaged in the moment.

When we can engage in the moment, then we can take whatever experience we're dealing with, come what may, and fully absorb ourselves in it. The observer/self knows, what to do, in each second. It can engage and can find the spiritual, in many situations, whereas if mind is fluttering to and fro, it will 'miss out' on those moments, the simple. It is possible to be attentive, in where we're at, on all the surroundings, in a moment, it can be done, just as spirit, is attentive to everything, every moment, at once.

I was standing out on the porch today, working on doing just that, getting in the moment. Its colder out today, I could feel the chill, even though I had a jacket on, it could still chill me, the air. Though the sun was shining. I was observing the porch, the fallen leaves, then looking at the evergreens, the sky, aligning myself 'there,' to try to not worry about the latest nuisances of life, not to avoid those things, certainly not, that's not my style, but bring myself back 'into the now,' for the moment, and just, shutup and observe. I wasnt thinking much about anything... but knew to stand there on the porch, for awhile. Oh correction, I was thinking a bit about the dream where i retrieved the baby, for a bit....

So I began hearing the geese in the sky. I couldnt see them at first, but then, they began to fly overhead.

It was an interesting formation. I saw them as one, but it was a rather sloppy formation, which is probably why there was so much squawking. Probably cause they were all communicating how to get into a better formation.

So what was interesting was, some of the slower ones, had cut off, and then, the slower group, formed their own separate v formation. However, the aim wasnt to stay, in a separate group. Theyd formed a temporary group in flight, so they could catch up to the other ones, who were also in v formation.

Then, the geese, after flying as two, became one formation, once again. So, from that, being present, I got the message from spirit, from that.

And as Ive been writing a bit today, on meditation, its kinda like that, as well. Its really all 'one formation,' us and spirit. However, we do this strange 'splitting off,' for whatever reasons we have, basically, being born, so what we're supposed to do, is basically, aim back into that overall formation of spirit. However, just like the other geese, did their thing, not supposed to do it soley by self. You're supposed to group it, try to elevate and bring others with you. Its a group effort, not an individual one, though certainly, like a formation of geese, there are individuals, but they have to have the same aim, be in the same direction of spirit, and even 'mimic' that formation of spirit, to get there. Back in the line.

but there'd also be no formation, without even the little geese who have to struggle. It wouldnt exist. Our struggles, are necessary, too. They have a part, a role, to play in getting back 'in line' with spirit. We can't get in line with spirit, without a little struggle. Cause how are you going to know how to fly, if you dont know how to struggle first? Its through struggling first - then you fly. There is no flying without struggle.

Celebrate the temporary.  Live in the Now.

I mean right now, not later this afternoon.

Not after awhile.

Not in a few hours, when the dishes are done and the kids are in bed.  Not next week, when the in-laws have left.  Not next year, when you're caught up on the doctor bills.

I mean celebrate now.  Today.  This minute.  There is something in your life to celebrate right now!  Sure, maybe you've had a tough life.  Maybe you've just had some bad news.  Maybe the company has been laying people off and you're out of a job and scraping by.  Maybe you've had an illness in your family and you have a mountain of bills.  Okay.

Perhaps things have been going pretty smoothly, for that matter.  Maybe you've had good news and the family's all well.  Everything seems under control for the moment, but life still seems a bit flat.  How come?

I want you to try something.

It won't take long.  You can spare five minutes.  Can't you?

First, remove whatever distractions you can.  Turn off the radio or television or computer.  It will still be there when you come back   ;D  Or if you're lucky enough to have a quiet room, go there.  Dim the lights or turn them off.

Now stand.  Plant your feet squarely on the floor about six inches apart.  Close your eyes.  Put your shoulders back and stand straight.  Take a deep breathe and let some of the tension in you ride out with your breath.

Permit yourself to relax inside.

Take another deep breath, inhaling gradually and feeling your breath slowly fill your abdomen and your chest.  Do this several times, and concentrate on how it feels to stand relaxed and breathe into your own depth and your own strength.

erismoksha

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2007, 06:29:35 AM »
And thats an example as to 'why' we have to be in line with the now. Cause if we're not in line with the now, the moment, we miss those messages that are right before our eyes....

Offline Zamurito

• Pir
    • Impeccability
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2007, 06:31:56 AM »
Well...

Well?  Well, Hello Juhani!   :)

Close your eyes and shift your attention with an intent anywhere you like - is it the same thing? You could shift to relaxed state, e.g.

Same thing?  As compared to....what?  Can you reference what you're referring to?  I'd hate to speculate on assumptions ;)

How about not leaving a single energetic trail behind?
Walking like a warrior whose footprints are blown away by wind in a few moments and then...it is like he never was...as he was in now...then.

Marvelous, eh?

I see these things quite different.

Do tell!

Are they same for you?

Again, could you give me more specifics?

z

erik

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2007, 06:38:00 AM »
Focus on energy vs focus on perception

Offline Zamurito

• Pir
    • Impeccability
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2007, 06:38:06 AM »
Celebrate the temporary
Don't wait until tomorrow
Live today

Celebrate the simple things
Enjoy the butterfly
Embrace the snow
Run with the ocean
Delight in the trees

Or a simgle lonely flower

Go barefoot
In the wet grass

Offline Zamurito

• Pir
    • Impeccability
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2007, 06:39:21 AM »

Focus on energy vs focus on perception

Ah,

Thank You!    ;D

z

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk