Author Topic: Living in the Now  (Read 2253 times)

Offline Zamurito

• Pir
    • Impeccability
Re: Living in the Now
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2007, 09:24:37 AM »
Don't Wait
Until all the problems
Are solved
Or all the bills
Are paid

You will wait forever
Eternity will come and go
And you
Will still be waiting

Live in the Now
With all its problems
And its agonies
With its joy
And its pain

Celebrate your pain
Your despair
Your anger
It means you're alive
Look closer
Breathe deeper
Stand taller
Stop grieving the past

There is joy and beauty
Today

It is temporary
Here now and gone
So celebrate it
While you can
Celebrate the temporary

"Discipline is, indeed, the supreme joy of feeling reverent awe; of watching, with your mouth open, whatever is behind those secret doors."

Offline Zamurito

• Pir
    • Impeccability
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2007, 04:02:43 AM »

What a gift is Breath
The supplier of life
And strength

Thank God
For Breath

You see, you do have something to celebrate.  Life.  Breath.  Life-giving breath.  Celebate the fact that you are alive and breathing.  Feel the celebration in your stomach.  Feel it in your chest.

"Discipline is, indeed, the supreme joy of feeling reverent awe; of watching, with your mouth open, whatever is behind those secret doors."

Offline Zamurito

• Pir
    • Impeccability
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2007, 04:30:22 AM »

To celebrate the temporary
Is to breathe deep into your strength
To plan for tomorrow

Then leave tomorrow
To take care of itself
And celebrate being alive today

Many people do not know how to celebrate the temporary.

Some of my friends live constantly for tomorrow.  They are always working and planning for that great future day when everything will be under control, when they can relax at last and begin to enjoy life.  Sometimes even their bodies are bent forward, straining into the future.

And, of course, that great tomorrow never comes.  It is always coming.  Tomorrow.  Their life style is a tomorrow style, and when tomorrow comes they do not know how to celebrate it because they did not learn how to live for today.  So they must wait for another tomorrow - which never comes.

Maybe they do retire and move to Florida.
Maybe they do get that cabin in the woods.
Maybe they do buy their own home and get that second car.

There is always something more.  Better neighbors or a new addition to the house or replacing the old car.  They do not know how to relax into the present.  To enjoy the now.  To celebrate the temporary because that may be all we have.

I would not for a moment suggest that we forget the future.  I do not believe in living only for today.  I believe in planning ahead, preparing myself for the future, nourishing some Dreams.  To live only in the moment is a form of escapism.  But that is not what I mean by celebrating the temporary.  Nor is living only in the moment a danger for most of the people I know.  Only once in a great while do I meet someone who lives for momentary pleasure alone. 

The danger for most of us is living too much for the great future to come - or living in the past.  That is the other danger, and it is just as sad to see.

We all know persons who live mainly on bygones, who spend most of their time and energy grieving over what has happened.  Or what did not happen.  Lamenting how it might have been, if only...They are "if only" people, living on their own grief and the sympathy of those who will suffer with them.

They do not know how to celebrate the temporary either.  They are too busy enjoying the pain of the past.  Their bodily posture is the bowed head and hunched shoulders.

Another way to live in the past is to keep recelebrating what happened in "the good old days."  The althlete who must review the big game with his friends whenever they get together.  Those who begin every conversation with "Remember the time when ..." or "What is so-and-so doing now?"

Some reviewing of the past and of celebrative moments is good.  When it becomes an exclusive style of life, it is boring and limits the celebrating of new experience.

I have visited old frinds and spent an evening talking about past events and mutual acquaintances.  When I have come away, I have often felt a sense of frustration at having lived only in the past.  Something dies when relationships get stuck in this reviewing of past history with no new imput of fresh experiencing.  Some of each deepens a friendship.

I do not mean to look down on "if only" people nor on "just wait until tomorrow" people.  Sometimes I am an "if only" person myself.  Sometimes I'm a "tomorrow" person.  There are times, inescapably, when all of us assume this stance.  But the "if only" stance and the "tomorrow" stance can become frozen into a life style - if we do not learn as well how to celebrate the temporary, to live also for today.

I'm looking out the rain-blurred window of a big jet pulling out of LaGuardia on a foggy evening as darkness falls.  An old impulse almost speaks, "If only the window were clear so I could see everything clearly!"  Then I reject the old impulse.  Go away.  I do not need you. 

To celebrate the now is to enjoy the blurred colored lights on the landing strip seen through the fragmenting raindrops on my unclear window.

To enjoy their unclearness
Their beautiful blurriness
To enjoy what is
As it is
For What
It is
In itself

To celebrate the now
Is to go up
On the mountain
And take off
Your glasses
Sometimes
And enjoy the lights
Of the city down below
Blurred and lovely

erismoksha

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2007, 08:23:26 AM »
Thats interesting. Today I was thinking about celebrating the haves, and not the have-nots. Which is very similar, and connected to this.

Thats part of tomorrow, what I will be/have/where ill be. When we focus solely on the have-nots, we become anxious and depressed. Which of course doesn't mean, dismiss those things, if we do need to have something, then we should work for it. Like we need to have our dreams, for they can inspire us to do great things, or work. However, if we cannot draw back into appreciating what we have, then we become miserable, which really, is another way of missing out on what spirit has given us, not what spirit has 'not' given us.

Life, sure, that's a huge thing. Being alive, but of course we'd rather live well. If we're not ill, and we have health, that alone is something many people do not have.

The nice thing about impermanence, like our troubles, they will be temporary. We can approach them with worry that they'll be permanent; however, if we're working on our issues, not sweeping them under the rug, we can tackle them. One thing Ive been working on, in dealing with troubles, or issues as of late, is to see them differently so they're not as stressfull. Then of course, focusing on what I do have. And there may be plenty of have nots at the moment, but even that, is only a temporary deal and not permanent.

Offline Zamurito

• Pir
    • Impeccability
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2007, 02:29:53 PM »
Taste, Feel, Touch, Listen, See

To celebrate the temporary is to taste, to feel, to touch, to appreciate with all the senses what is around you right now.  "That's ridiculous," you may be thinking.  "I do that all the time - so what's new?"

It's true, we taste, feel touch, listen and see all the time.  But we do it without awareness!  Our heads are so often in another place that we don't really taste what we are eating.  We don't really enjoy what we are touching, don't realize the pleasure in the simple things we are doing. 

I remember the occasion when I instructed members of a workshop to take ten minutes to walk outside in silence, letting something of beauty drawn them.  The workshop was being held on the grounds of a Benedictine monastery, surrounded by St. John's University in Minnesota.  Several monks who lived on the campus were attending the workshop.  I asked members of the group to relax, to breathe deeply, to let the beauty around them into their awareness.

A short while later the group began drifting back inside.  I shall never forget one monk who said, "I've lived here most of my life.  But this morning, in ten minutes, I saw things I have walked by for years and never noticed."

For most of us there is some beauty around us day by day.  We sit beside it or look past it or ignore it.  We fail to let it speak to our spirits, to call out to the beauty within us.  We are somewhere else, living for tomorrow or fretting over the past.

I invite you to try a simple experiment for yourself.  It will take only twenty or thirty minutes out of your life.  Lie down on the floor, inhale and tense every muscle in your body as you hold your breath.  Then exhale as you let the tension go and relax into the floor.  Take another deep breath and let the tension in your body go out as you exhale.  If you feel tightness somewhere, try to let it go.

When you feel relaxed, and if you have not fallen asleep, give yourself ten minutes to walk slowly, gracefully, and easily in your yard or nearby park.  The experience will have more power if you are sharing it with someone else.  You should remain silent during the walk, however, and share observations afterward.

Try to be present to whatever beauty calls you.  It may be the intricate patterns in a single flower blossom.  It may be the winter sky.  It may be the variations of color and shadow in a single tree.

The main thing is not to try to program what happens.  Don’t decide your route in advance.  Just be.  Just flow with whatever your feelings lead you to.  Just exist, with no plan, no program, no schedule.  Is it too much to give yourself ten minutes just to be?  Why not try it now before you read further?

Another helpful experience to heighten your awareness is to give your total attention to one flower or leaf or tree.  Study it at close range, just permitting its beauty, its color, and its shape to speak to you.  Then move a little closer to the subject and study it from that vantage point.  Let it call out of you the sense of wonder and appreciation – the feeling of joy.  Then move closer yet.  Each time you do, you will see an entirely new world which you had not noticed before.  When possible, share this with a partner afterward.

I shall long remember the night Carol brought the lilacs.  I was a member for a time of a small house-church group, meeting weekly for conversational sharing and creative worship.  Carol had agreed to provide leadership that week.  It was lilac season, and she arrived with an armful – fresh, fragrant, lavender.  She gave us each a large lilac cluster and asked us to study it in silence for awhile.

It was an experience of genuine pleasure just to be with those lilacs for a time.  We held them, touched them, felt their texture, smelled them, touched them to our faces.  One of the most pleasant parts of the evening was sharing memories and associations with lilacs.  Each of us had some childhood experiences with a lilac bush in the yard of our home or that of a neighbor.

Lilacs are a delight, and we tend to walk past them each spring without really stopping to see them, feel them, smell them, and appreciate them.  We say, “Oh, isn’t that nice.  The lilacs are out again.”  When we next think about them, they are gone.  Lilacs come and go very quickly, and to appreciate them fully we must celebrate the temporary, giving some of ourselves to the lilacs.

Is to lie
On your back
On the floor
In the dark
And listen
Really
Listen
To a beautiful piece
Of music
Not doing
Anything
Else
But
Listening
With every fiber
Of your being
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 03:38:59 PM by Zamurito »

Offline Zamurito

• Pir
    • Impeccability
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2007, 10:23:25 AM »

I was once leading a five-day workshop for clergy and wives in the Pacific Northwest.  We were in a cabin on Puget Sound, and it had rained most of the week - which is usual in the Northwest.  But about four o'clock in the afternoon of the fourth day, the clouds broke and the sun burst through.  We were in the middle of our afternoon group session.  Our response was spontaneous.  We all rushed outside and stood in the sunshine, glorying in its warmth, its brilliance, in the glimpse of snow-covered mountain peaks which had been obscured all week.  We laughed; we shouted; we danced around.  We celebrated the temporary beauty and glory of the sun.

Fifteen minutes later the sun had disappeared again behind gray clouds.  But I still remember with joy that brief dance in the sun and how delightful it was.

I had a similar experience once in Florida, where I was leading an intensive group workshop.  We were gathering for our evening sesion, and a full moon was already well up in the sky.  Fleecy clouds were racing across the sky, creating beautiful patterns of light and shadow as they obscured the moon, then revealed it.  Rather than ignore this rare spectacle, we delayed our meeting and moved outside.  We gathered on the shore of the lake and spent fifteen minutes just watching the moon and clouds in awe.  It was a wonder-full way to begin the evening.  We celebrated the temporary.

One of the crucial insights to grasp if you would celebrate the temporary is the importance of coming to your senses.  Our culture has trained us so well to live in our intellect that we have literally lost touch with our senses.  We simply do not hear the messages.  We do not listen to the wisdom of our body, the guidance of our intuition.  This is a grievous loss, and we need to get our senses and our intellect back into communication with each other.  This is not to slight the importance of the intellect.  On the contrary, the mind is enhanced when it is informed by the reality processes of the senses.

If you wish to work toward celebrating the temporary with your whole self, then three things are necessary.  All three are incredibly simple.  One is relaxing.  The second is breathing.  And the third is depriving yourself by turning off the sound of your voice in order to allow your senses to emerge.

Our bodies are amazing vehicles.  They can carry tensions around inside them, locked into the muscles, for years and years.  These tensions - the result of anger, fear, grief - can block us from perceiving the beauty around us, the support of the earth, the warmth and love of others.  So it is essential to learn how to relax and release the tensions that block us from the full experience of life - with all our senses.  I will say some more about relaxing in the section "On Letting Go."

Breathing is essential.  I am convinced that most people do not breathe properly.  Too many of us breathe shallowly, using only the upper portion of our lungs.  This means we do not breathe into our potential, our depth, or strength.  It also means that we inhibit the internal communication which breathing carries as it flows in and out.  We lock our muscles in such a way as to prevent full breathing, and in so doing we prevent full living.  We shut off the messages of our strength, our joy, our pain, our sexuality.  We may feel "safer" that way, but the consequences in shallow living are a high price to pay.

Many disciplines today are teaching us the importance of deep breathing.  Yoga begins wih training in breathing, and I have learned much from my practice of yoga.  The field of sensory awareness, as taught by Charlotte Selver and Charles Brooks, stresses breathing and relaxing into more creative functioning.  Some newer forms of psychotherapy now stress breathing as a basic resource for health.  Among these forms is Alexander Lowen's bio-energetic analysis.

When we relax and breathe more deeply, we are more in touch with our intuitive self, or feeling self, our instinctive wisdom, as well as our logical wisdom.  We are more able to trust, to risk, and to let life flow.

Members of a workshop I was leading at Iliff School of Theology decided to celebrate the temporary one beautiful summer evening.  They had invited a number of persons from the community to join them and "celebrate a summer evening."  Members of the workshop planned and led the experience, which was designed to help individuals who did not know each other discover an experience of community in only a few hours.

When everyone had gathered, we stood in a circle, took a few deep breaths and let go some of the tension of our bodies.  Each of us then found a partner and sat silently to watch a magnificent Colorado sunset over the Rockies.  The unbelievable colors in the clouds, the quiet and cool of the evening, all combined to make the occasion one of depth and meaning.

Yet we do not need spectacular sunsets to celebrte the temporary.  We can celebrate the temporary in the delicious smell of coffee perking in the morning.  The feeling of cold water running over our hands and faces.  The smell of lime shaving cream.  The taste of fresh oranges.  The smell of a rose.  The touch of a child's hand.

Is to wade
In a stream
Barefoot
And
Really
Feel
The cold water
Running through your toes
To walk in the warm sand
And listen to the ocean
To climb a tree
And look down
At the world below
To watch a bird

To celebrate the temporary is to let go of worrying about yesterday and tomorrow long enough to be here, now.  It is to give our attention, your awareness, to smelling, feeling, seeing, tasting, and hearing the myriad delights around you.  To live today.

nichi

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2007, 11:17:09 AM »
I will say some more about relaxing in the section "On Letting Go."

Hey Z, just got confused .... is this part of a book you've written? Forgive my slow-wittedness, or blindness if I missed it.

Offline Zamurito

• Pir
    • Impeccability
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2007, 11:26:32 AM »
Hey Z, just got confused .... is this part of a book you've written? Forgive my slow-wittedness, or blindness if I missed it.

It's a book that's already been published.  I'll give all the details when I'm done ;)

z

Offline daphne

• Rishi
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2007, 03:07:25 PM »
It's a book that's already been published.  I'll give all the details when I'm done ;)

z

ahh.. it's a mystery is it?   :)
"The compulsion to possess and hold on to things is not unique. Everyone who wants to follow the warrior's path has to rid himself of this fixation in order not to focus our dreaming body on the weak face of the second attention." - The Eagle's Gift

Offline Zamurito

• Pir
    • Impeccability
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2007, 03:35:11 PM »
ahh.. it's a mystery is it?   :)

Of course ;)

We're living with our eyes wide shut, right? 

z

Offline daphne

• Rishi
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2007, 03:37:30 PM »
Of course ;)

We're living with our eyes wide shut, right? 

z

hardly shut... couldn't read the mystery if my eyes were shut!!!    :D  :-*
"The compulsion to possess and hold on to things is not unique. Everyone who wants to follow the warrior's path has to rid himself of this fixation in order not to focus our dreaming body on the weak face of the second attention." - The Eagle's Gift

Offline Zamurito

• Pir
    • Impeccability
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2007, 03:38:46 PM »
hardly shut... couldn't read the mystery if my eyes were shut!!!    :D  :-*

;D

Offline Zamurito

• Pir
    • Impeccability
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2007, 04:39:35 PM »

Focus on energy vs focus on perception

Hello Juhani,

As I have a bit more time, could you explain this a bit further?

This is very interesting. 

I understand what you're saying....but isn't every time we focus on energy, isn't it funneled through our perception?

Lay it on me....sounds like a good topic.

z

erik

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2007, 08:26:39 PM »
Focus on how you are in the world instead of how it feels to be in the world
Focus on the full picture instead of momentary glimpses
Focus on ends instead of means
Focus instead of focusing

Or then - don't
There is endless freedom to choose one's life

What's behind the Rim?
Where are we going and where are we coming from?
Why are we?
How are we?
What are we?
When are we?

Why, how, what and when am I?

erik

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2007, 06:13:03 AM »
Zam, you seem to work quite a bit with clergy - what is it you do? Do you teach them recapitulation techniques and energy work as well (i.e. how to reclaim fragments of self from the past - how to get wholly into 'now')?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 06:17:12 AM by erik »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk