Author Topic: Gnostics  (Read 579 times)

Offline Angela

• Acharya
Re: Gnostics
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2007, 02:56:54 AM »
Always remember there is a lot of mis-information around Hinduism. I am definitly not saying your author is guilty of that, but I am saying that one has to enter this field with a degree of caution. There is a body of acknowledged works and authors. What you have posted above is a good example of the excitement seekers experience when they discover that a huge and ancient tradition not only knows what they are seeking, but can talk about it in words of deep knowledge and beauty. My advise at that point, is if you do wish to explore it further, do not dally with un-acknowledged authors - go to the cannon of recognised experts. To help, i will post a list in the Hindu section, which I can get from Julie, who is an expert in this area.

Yes, Michael, I realized this from the beginning of the book.  Gaffney has an agenda, to discredit the Catholic (Christian) church.  But...in doing so he has given a substantial amount of history in his writing.  He mentions Jung quite often, Albright, and others.  I'd post the entire book, if I could.  I think he's really done his homework, but I also see where his personal agenda pops up.  I'm towards the end of the book, and he also goes into the Egyptian mythology and "creation".  And...quantum theories.  It's an interesting read, once you get to know the author.  I'll look at the Hindu section, I seem to have a fascination for that area in particular.  Thanks!

Ang
"If you stop seeing the world in terms of what you like and dislike, and saw things for what they truly are, in themselves, you would have a great deal more peace in your life..."

erismoksha

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2007, 04:49:57 AM »
Ang,

You might find Thomas Merton interesting of an author if you haven't read him yet.

Offline Angela

• Acharya
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2007, 03:47:09 PM »
Ang,

You might find Thomas Merton interesting of an author if you haven't read him yet.

Thanks El.
"If you stop seeing the world in terms of what you like and dislike, and saw things for what they truly are, in themselves, you would have a great deal more peace in your life..."

Offline elliot

• Sadhu
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2007, 08:12:06 PM »
If I had to lose a mile
If I had to touch feelings
I would lose my soul
The way I do
I dont have to think
I only have to do it
The results are always perfect
And thats old news
Would you like to hear my voice
Sweetened with emotion
Invented at your birth?
I cant see the end of me
My whole expanse I cannot see
I formulate infinity
And store it deep inside of me

-mp
"O great creator of being, grant us one more hour / to perform our art and perfect our lives."    Jim Morrison

Offline Angela

• Acharya
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2007, 06:00:46 PM »
Angela, there is a book i want to strongly recommend to you:

'The World’s Religions' - Huston Smith

This book is still a classic text in Studies in Religion courses around the world, and is one of the best ways to be introduced into the overview of humanity's search for 'truth'.

It doesn't deal with the history, it gets to the juicy bones of each religion, including Christianity. But it also chooses the most delicious bones - it is a sheer delight to read, and hold so much knowledge.

This book (like 'A History of Western Philosophy' - Bertrand Russell which does the same for that subject) is truly a must read for anyone who wants to start on the journey of reaching out to our fellow travelers in spirit across the globe.

Michael...I got this book and have read about 60 pages in the past two weeks.  Maybe it was the distraction of the Holidays, but it seemed a difficult read in the beginning.  Possibly the writing style...but anyway, as I'm becoming more familiar with it, I'm liking it very much :)   I've read a couple of excerpts to Zam, and He's even thinking about reading it. ;)

The first religion Smith writes about is Hinduism.  It feels very familiar and comfortable.  It's like many religions in one religion... it grabbed me in a way...almost seductive.

Onward into the cast system....

Ang

nichi

« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2007, 06:09:35 PM »
I've been meaning to mention ... I'm pretty sure that book was one of my textbooks in "World Religions" class in college. Can't confirm that, though .. they're in a box in the attic, which is boarded up. It's been 30+ years now.. hearing you all speak of it makes me want to get another copy.  :)

Offline Zamurito

• Pir
    • Impeccability
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2007, 07:23:16 PM »
I've been meaning to mention ... I'm pretty sure that book was one of my textbooks in "World Religions" class in college. Can't confirm that, though .. they're in a box in the attic, which is boarded up. It's been 30+ years now.. hearing you all speak of it makes me want to get another copy.  :)

Hmmm....interesting concerning old college texbooks.  Ang and I will be visiting my alma mater this weekend.  Visiting Dreaming.

Let's see how it goes...

z
"Discipline is, indeed, the supreme joy of feeling reverent awe; of watching, with your mouth open, whatever is behind those secret doors."

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2007, 01:05:26 AM »
Michael...I got this book and have read about 60 pages in the past two weeks.  Maybe it was the distraction of the Holidays, but it seemed a difficult read in the beginning.  Possibly the writing style...but anyway, as I'm becoming more familiar with it, I'm liking it very much :)   I've read a couple of excerpts to Zam, and He's even thinking about reading it. ;)

The first religion Smith writes about is Hinduism.  It feels very familiar and comfortable.  It's like many religions in one religion... it grabbed me in a way...almost seductive.

Onward into the cast system....

Ang

my favourite in that book was Taoism.

Offline Angela

• Acharya
The Way
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2008, 05:22:15 AM »
"There is a being, wonderful, perfect;
It existed before heaven and earth.
How quiet it is!
How spiritual it is!
It stands alone and it does not change.
It moves around and around, but it does not on this account suffer.
All life comes from it.
It wraps everything with its love as in a garment, and yet it claims no honor; it does not demand to be Lord.
I do not know its name, and so I call it
Tao, the Way, and I rejoice in its power."

'The World's Religions'  pg. 218

Offline Angela

• Acharya
Re: The Way
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2008, 05:44:12 AM »
How quiet it is!
How spiritual it is!
All life comes from it.
It wraps everything with its love as in a garment, and yet it claims no honor; it does not demand to be Lord.

And man has dubbed it several different names throughout his existence ... I'm sure there will be many more.

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2008, 09:19:34 PM »
How quiet it is!
How spiritual it is!
All life comes from it.

and that is you, me, and everyone

cultivate that, and you can carry the incense from the old to the new temple

Offline Angela

• Acharya
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2008, 05:31:36 AM »
and that is you, me, and everyone

cultivate that, and you can carry the incense from the old to the new temple

:)

Offline Angela

• Acharya
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2009, 06:33:40 AM »
Doing some research and ran into this today ....

http://www.perceivingreality.com/

There are many more clips on you tube by ARI Films ... http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=the+Kabbalah+Series&aq=f
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=the+Kabbalah+Series&aq=f

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk