Author Topic: Exploring Penawahpskkewi  (Read 356 times)

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
  • Let us dance of freedom~
Exploring Penawahpskkewi
« on: November 26, 2007, 12:42:30 AM »
This is something Ive never given much thought to, though lately it seems to be whispering from somewhere in the shadows and those whispers are something Ive found to be in my best interest to take action upon or at the very least listen with the intent to hear beyond the words.

Bloodlines seem to mean a great deal to most people.. they pride themselves on being.. "French" or "Irish" ect.. Ive always thought this to be something to ponder considering the different thoughts on rebirth ect.. I mean what difference does it make what my bloodline is if this life is anew and the past ones non related in this sort of sense.

I admit to also not giving discovery of past lives much focus.

If this is something you have dipped your toes in.. Id be interesting in hearing your thoughts on what youve discovered and how that benifits your current awareness of self.

Another thread of thought moves upon me that if the bloodline carries bits and pcs of knowledge then perhaps it would explain why some are oddly attracted to different traditions or spiritual practices of different tribes.

Ive not taken the focus to break down different customs due to the understanding of their being a universal melting of' meaning' which to me leads to all the same place.

But I do love to explore different traditions and pathways of culture, I find myself more attracted to some then others but I see the same energys in all of them so I dont feel it matters much if it brings forth that which Im seeking at the time. If Spirit leads me in a direction it matters not if my bloodline  ect is part of that, I walk softly in the direction no matter what.

I find it interesting to discover all the different veiws of spiritual matters and enjoy the process of connecting them together.

Tis folly.. the attention of such things.

So anyway.. as you can see from my jumping around different topics this isnt something Ive given thought to in any one direction so let this thread go as it may..

-=-

About 6 months ago a friend talked me into having my palm read. Oh why not ya know.. it inspires the unknown in all to entertain such things.

The woman took my hand and looked me in the eyes asking.. "Are you Native American?" I answered No as Im a mixed flow of no one bloodline.

She dropped my hand and told me she didnt need it to give me a reading.

At this point I was a bit distracted, I had sat down to have my palm read.. not for a "reading" I was curious what she saw in relation to the lines.

She gave me some predictions that have indeed come true.. the next one coming up in Dec. to which she told me Id be signing some sort of papers. We'll see eh..

Anyway.. NA was 'seen' by her.

-=-

Many of my visions and those that I have otherworldly connections to are also of Native blood.. (tho I must say it seems I come in contact with "natives" of all lands) It seems that one significant person is of Lakota custom so when I recently met a man of this tribe and swiftly picked up an ease in sharing.. it perked an interest that he could perhaps help me sort through different meanings according to the different ritualistic actions of the visions and dreams.. as well as the understanding of a dialog not of my native tongue.

This lead to a suggestion that I trace my bloodline, to which he felt was most important.

-=-

My grandfather passed away when I was 10, Ive had alot of contact with him since.. lately he has been very close. I also just spent a week with my fathers family as well as in a location that has served as a gathering ground for years before those that join it now.

My attention poked at this bloodline thing a bit and I even explored with some questions from my elders.

It was shared that if I wished to discover the bloodline of my native roots it would be the direction of the following tribe.

Those of the penobscot nation.

So for fun and for thought here I go.. thought Id share it here for sharing of the above and also a place to look back on for reflection should the desire arrise.

Without constant complete silence meditation - samadi - we lose ourselves in the game.  MM

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
Re: Exploring Penawahpskkewi
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 12:58:50 AM »
I feel I should add that I understand the palm readers desire to drop the hand as it seems to me just to be a bit of trick to get sleepers to sit down for a moment.. I know this desire due to having to have something solid to present and capture the attention of the core of the sleeper.

I was curious to see how she fit each line into that.. her art of sharing.

And I should also add that its been a bit of a family secret all these years that the native mixing took place.. seems it was something not to be talked about and lost to oral sharing since.

I came across some papers while cleaning out the china cabnet at the cabin.. leading to the area of the tribe.. gave me a good "reason" to start asking questions  ;)
Without constant complete silence meditation - samadi - we lose ourselves in the game.  MM

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 01:03:37 AM »
What's your bloodline?

My mother's side of the doings is Italian with a mixture from my grandmother. My father's is French with a mixing of bloods Ive not yet fully discovered either.

Do you think it matters much in the seeking of self discovery?

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 01:10:54 AM »
We, the Penobscot people, are indigenous to Penobscot watershed. We are included in the term Wabanaki, which is used to denote the sovereign nations of Maine and the Maritimes, exclusively in the European boundaries of Maine, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia. The early European explorers found a powerful confederacy upon their arrival. One of our first recorded leaders, the powerful Chief Bessabez, or Bashaba as the English called him, ruled a nation of over twenty villages, where the confederacy dominated. From 1606 to 1616, the region was subject to inter-tribal conflict and invasion. Bessabez was killed and immediately following was an apocalyptic time of pestilence, believed to be European introduced smallpox, that began to decimate our indigenous populations. This was furthered by the long wars with the Mohawks from the 1630's until 1678. Penobscot numbers were estimated to be over 10,000 - but by 1803 - only 347 Penobscots remained.

Increased warfare between English settlers and the Native people took place between 1675 and 1760. Most of this was a result of the battle for control by the French and English. During this period, the Wabanaki Confederacy allied with the French, which had been the friendlier trading ally, while the English formed a strong military alliance with the Iroquois Confederacy. The French and their native allies made peace with the English after the 1760 war - but the wars had exhausted a lot of the strength of the Wabanaki Nations and their resources.

At the request of George Washington, the Penobscot sided with the American colonists in the Revolutionary War, but would soon be largely forgotten. This trend continued even as Penobscot people

had faithfully served in every major U.S. war and conflict. Treaties were made between each of the two major tribes, the Penobscots and Passamaquoddys, and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. These treaties pertained largely to lands, goods, and services to be provided by the new state. Becoming a state in 1820, Maine assumed these treaty obligations, but reneged and appropriated a majority of the indigenous lands. These actions were in violation of the Federal Trade and Non-Intercourse Act of 1790, which forbid the transfer of Penobscot land without the consent of Congress, and were the basis for the 1980 lands claims suit against the state and the federal government.

In 1965, Maine became the first state in the U.S. to create a separate Department of Indian Affairs. Throughout its 15 year history, the agency was chronically underfunded, and displayed the state's non-recognition of Penobscot sovereignty. The building in which our museum is now housed originally served as the Maine Indian Agent's office ..from which food and service vouchers were distributed to tribal members, while the remaining resources were embezzled by the white agents. In the 1950's, Penobscots were able to have their own agents, and the illegal process was rectified.

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 01:18:26 AM »

Seal of the Penobscot Indian Nation of Maine

The Penobscot are a sovereign people indigenous to what is now Maritime Canada and the northeastern U.S., particularly Maine. They were and are significant participants in the historical and present Wabanaki Confederacy, along with the Passamaquoddy, Maliseet and Mi'kmaq nations.

The word "Penobscot" originates from a mispronunciation of their name "Penawapskewi." The word means "rocky part" or "descending ledges" and originally referred to the portion of the Penobscot River between Old Town and Bangor. The tribe has adopted the name Penobscot Indian Nation.

Penobscot is also the name of the dialect of Eastern Abenaki (an Algonquian language) that the Penobscot people speak.

The Penobscot Indian Island Reservation is surrounded by the waters of the Penobscot River, in Penobscot County, Maine. This large river runs from their sacred mountain to the north, Mt. Katahdin, down through the state to Penobscot Bay. It was along this river that they made seasonal relocations to the ocean for seafood, and then back inland for moose, deer, elk and bear hunting, as weather dictated.They lived in wigwams mostly.

Mount Katahdin remains a sacred place for these people, and as such travel to the top of the mountain is considered taboo. It is believed that an angry god resides in Pamola Peak. Pamola is a lower god in the spiritual belief system of the Penawapskewi. Pamola was an angry god, and due to his trickster behavior, was sent to Mt. Katahdin for eternity by the power of the highest god, Gluskab.

These people have a prehistoric tie to the river, such that it long ago became a part of their identity. The name of their tribe is the name of a place on the river where they spent most of their time throughout the year, a place "where the white rocks are," also identified as "where the river widens."[citation needed]

The insignia of this tribe, evidenced in their art and design, is the fiddlehead, in this case an immature frond of the Ostrich fern (Matteuccia struthiopteris L.) that grows along the banks of the Penobscot River. Fiddleheads of this fern are a delicacy, and are one of the first "blooms" appearing after the harsh winters of the region, thus considered a gift from a spiritual higher power: a reward for having survived the winter.

This tribe became federally recognized through the Maine Land Claims Act of 1980, signed on March 15, 1980. Under the terms of the agreement, the Penobscot and Passamaquoddy tribes received a settlement of $81.5 million in return for relinquishing their rights to 19,500 square miles, for roughly 60% of the State of Maine.[citation needed] They mostly live on a reservation at Indian Island, which is near Old Town.

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 01:30:39 AM »

An Abenaki in traditional clothing

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 01:41:46 AM »
Penobscot Lore:

WHY WE NEED WIND

Long ago, Klouskap lived with his grandmother, Woodchuck, in a small lodge by the ocean. One day Klouskap was walking along the shore when he saw some ducks in the Bay. "I think it is time to go hunt some ducks," he said. So he took his bow and arrow and got out his canoe. Klouskap began to paddle out to the ducks and as he did he sang a song. Ki yo wah ji neh, yo ho hey yo, Ki yo wah hi neh, Ki yo way ji neh. A wind came up and it forced his canoe around and blew him back to the shore. He then began to paddle out to the ducks even harder and he sang a little harder. Again the wind came up and blew him back to the shore.

Frustrated, Klouskap went to his grandmother and asked her where the wind came from. Grandmother asked Klouskap why he wanted to know such a thing and felt that there might be trouble. Klouskap answered his grandmother, "Because." His grandmother knew that if she didn't tell him he would never stop asking so she told him. "Far from here, on top of the tallest mountain, a great bird stands. The bird's name is Wuchowsen, and when he flaps his wings he makes the wind blow." Klouskap then asked his grandmother where to find the place that Wuchowsen sits and she told him to face the wind and walk. Klouskap thanked his grandmother.

Klouskap began to walk across the fields and through the woods and the wind blew hard. Klouskap made it to the foothills and the wind blew even harder. He began to climb the mountain the closer he got to the top the harder the wind became. The wind became so hard that it blew all the hair and clothing off Klouskap's body. Klouskap took a deep breath. "GRANDFATHER," he shouted. The Wuchowsen stopped flapping his wings and answered, "Who calls me Grandfather." Klouskap answered Wuchowsen and told the Wind Eagle that he was doing a very good job at making wind. Wuchowsen puffed his chest out in pride and made the wind blow even harder. So hard it almost blew Klouskap off the mountain top. Klouskap told Wuchowsen that he could do an even better job if he were to move over to another peak. Klouskap took a carrying strap that he had made and wrapped it tight around the Wind Eagle. He picked up the eagle and carried him to the other peak but as he did he came across a large crevice, and as he stepped over it he let go of the strap and Wuchowsen fell in upside down and was stuck.

Klouskap returned home and all the way he felt no wind at his back. By now his hair grew back and when he finally got home he put on a whole new outfit and was ready to hunt for ducks. He paddled out to the ducks but the air was very dry and still and he began to sweat. The water began to grow dirty and smell bad and there was so much foam on the water he could hardly paddle. Klouskap was not happy so he went to his grandmother's lodge to ask for help. She told him that the wind was needed to keep the air cool and clean. The wind brings the clouds that give us rain and they keep the water fresh and sweet. Without the wind life would not be good for the people. Klouskap thanked his grandmother.

Klouskap went back to the place where he had dropped the Wind Eagle and this time he called out "UNCLE." Wuchowsen asked "Who calls me Uncle." "It is Klouskap, Uncle. I am up here but who put you down There?" Wuchowsen told Klouskap that a very ugly naked man with no hair had tricked him and dropped him in the crevice "Ah, Grandfath......um, Uncle, I will get you out." Klouskap climbed down into the crevice and pulled Wuchowsen free and placed him back on the mountain. "Uncle," Klouskap said, "It is good that the wind blow sometimes and other times it not." Wuchowsen looked at Klouskap and nodded. "Grandson, I hear what you say."

This story teaches myself and others the valuable lesson of the Wind element and through oral and written history, our children can learn from such a story also. Wind is the vehicle and origin of thought and action.

This is a traditional story
of the Penobscot Indian Nation
as told by Jason K. Brown

Arrowhead Finger: A Penobscot Legend
Generations ago, when the village relied on the forests and the rivers for food and medicine, there was a Penobscot girl who knew the woods and the rivers, and knew every plant which grew in them as well as she knew her own family. She always knew where to find the ripest berries in the summer and the juiciest roots in the winter. She knew the plants that could be used to cure the sick, and knew where to find them, as though they were calling out loud to her. With her spear and her basket of bark, she would wander the wild places, sometimes by herself, sometimes with her sisters and cousins, through the meadows and forests, along the rivers and streams. She worked hard for the people of her village, gathering food and herbs long after the other girls had gone home, or gone off to play. She would always bring home a basket filled with food when the day was done. Because she loved to gather plants, she was known as Gatherer.

The children laughed at Gatherer, but the old women loved her. They saw how she never took more than she needed, nor more than the plants could bear to give. They saw how she always gave thanks to the spirit of the plants she harvested, and they were pleased. They even said that the branches of the trees would bend low to let her pick leaves from them.

One day she was alone in the forest, far from the village, gathering muskrat roots. Gazing among the undergrowth in the forest on the river’s bank, she saw something--Maguak warriors! She ran toward the village to warn her people that their enemies were coming. The warriors saw her and ran after. As she grew closer to the village, the warriors were starting to gain on her. When they were almost upon her she cried out, "Maguak! Maguak!" so that the people in the village could hear her. The warriors caught her and covered her mouth, but even then they knew the people in the village would be taking up arms. Their surprise attack would be no surprise, and they would be outnumbered.

They took Gatherer back with them as a prisoner, running until nightfall and forcing her to keep up with them. When they camped for the evening and had built a fire, the warriors said, "Let us see how brave Gatherer is now!" and they stuck her hand into the fire. Gatherer did not cry out. She would not show pain or fear to them. She would show them how brave she was. One hand was thrust into the fire, then the other, but she made no sound. Finally they stopped. "She has fingers like arrowheads!" said one of her captors. And that was the name they called her by, "Arrowhead Finger"

After the warriors had fallen asleep, she took a root she had gathered from he dress and rubbed it on her sore, burned fingers. "Help me, little one", she said to the root. Soon the pain ebbed, and by morning her fingers were healed.

The next day, Her captors made her travel hard again all day, over hills and mountains. At the end of the day, they burned her fingers again, to see if she would cry out, but she showed neither fear nor pain. And when they slept, she rubbed the root on her fingers again, and healed.

When the warriors woke, they saw that her fingers were still not blistered from being burned. "Perhaps she is carrying some medicine", their leader said. "Find it and take it from her". But Arrowhead Finger did not want to lose the root that had helped her, so she swallowed it without anyone noticing. That way, her healing remained a mystery to them. Fearing her now, they decided not to burn her fingers anymore.

When they reached the Maguak village at last, all the people of the village came out to meet them and were proud to see that their warriors had taken a prisoner. In those days, it was the custom for people to adopt young prisoners, and an old couple who had lost their daughter recently offered to adopt Arrowhead Finger as their own. "No," said the leader of the war band, "This one spoiled our raid. We will hold a council to decide what will become of her".

When the council met, the warrior told his story, of how Arrowhead finger had saved her village and refused to cry out when she was burned. Many of the people in the village admired her courage. Others wanted to burn her, fearing she would use her powers against them. They decided that until a decision could be reached, she could stay with the old woman and man.

After many days of keeping council, the tribal leaders agreed that it would be safer to burn her. Not everyone in the village liked this idea, because she was a hard worker and had won the respect and admiration of many people in the village in the short time she had been there. So they decided that they would wait for a few moons before burning her.

As the seasons changed, Arrowhead Finger noticed that her body was changing as well. The root she had swallowed had become a child in her belly. When her foster-parents told the tribe’s leaders this, they decided they would wait even longer to burn her, until after the child was born.

As the moons waxed and waned, the people of the village grew to love Arrowhead Finger. She worked harder than anyone else, gathering food and medicine from the forest for the village. When her baby was born, most of the women of the village came to see her and her new child.

That night, as she slept, she heard a voice beside her. She awoke to find that her newborn son was speaking to her. "I am the root that you gathered in the forest long ago. Because you always respected the plants, I will help you. The day after tomorrow, your enemies plan to put you into the fire. Even now, they are gathering the wood. You must ask my grandmother to help you. She will know what to do. You must leave me here, for I have work to do here. One day, we will be together again, but for now you must leave me." Then the babe closed his eyes and went back to sleep.

Arrowhead Finger got up and went to her foster-mother, asking her what to do. "Daughter," she said, "I have a plan to save you. When the women go to gather wood tomorrow, go with them, and leave your son with me. Take the path to the east, and it will take you home. No one will expect you to leave, because your baby is here".

In the morning, she cradled her son in her arms, and kissed him goodbye. She placed him in the arms of his grandmother, turned, and went into the forest with the women. When they were safely away from the village, she took the path to the east. She followed the rising sun for many days until she came to the river.

On the river she saw her father, who was waiting for her in a birch bark canoe. He told her how a child had come to him in his dreams, saying that he must cross the river and bring her home. She told him all that had happened to her, and when they returned to the village she was greeted joyfully.

Angered with her escape, the warriors of the Magauk were making plans to attack the Penobscot village again. As they were making their plans, all of them became sick. They grew so sick that they feared they would die, and no one knew how to cure them. Finally, the old woman who had adopted Arrowhead Finger came to them.

"It is my Grandson who is making such fierce warriors weak", she said. "He is protecting his mother by making her enemies fall ill. He is very powerful, and you could not defeat him, but perhaps if you beg mercy from him, he will take pity on you".

The leaders of the village decided to do as she said. They went to her house and found, to their surprise, that the baby was now a young man. "We have come to tell you that we are sorry for mistreating your mother. Do not kill our warriors, and we will make you the chief of our people".

"I was going to kill them", said the boy, "but now I will let them live. Go to the forest and I will give you the herbs that will make them well again. I am Gwelhb’hot, and when you need medicine you must come to me. I will not be your chief. Instead, I will be a spirit of the forest, and the forest will be my house. You will not see me, but if you have respect for the plants I will lead you to the ones that can heal you".

So it was that Gwelhb’hot taught the people about the medicine of plants. And when Arrowhead Finger went to gather herbs in the forest, she would hear the voice of her son leading her to the plants which would cure her people. That is the voice that the people who seek medicinal plants still hear in the forest when they treat the plants with respect.

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007, 01:48:46 AM »
Important Penobscot Mythological Figures
˜Gluscabi (also spelled Gluskabi, Gluskabe, Kloskurbeh, Glooskap, and several other ways.) Gluscabi is the benevolent culture hero of the Wabanaki tribes (sometimes referred to as a "transformer" by folklorists.) His name is spelled so many different ways because Penobscot and the other Wabanaki languages were originally unwritten, so English speakers just spelled it however it sounded to them at the time. The correct Penobscot pronounciation is similar to glue-skaw-buh. Gluscabi shares some similarities with other Algonquian heroes such as the Algonquin Nanabozho, Blackfoot Napi, and Cree Wesakaychak, and many of the same stories are told in different Algonquian tribes with only the identity of the protagonist differing.

˜Gici Niwaskw (also spelled Ketci Niweskwe, Gichi Niwaskwa, and several other ways.) This means "Great Spirit" in the Abnaki-Penobscot language, and is the Penobscot name for the Creator (God.) Gici Niwaskw is a divine spirit with no human form or attributes (including gender) and is never personified in Wabanaki folklore. The name is pronounced similar to gih-chee nih-wahsk, with a slight whistle at the end.

˜Malsum (also spelled Molsum, Môlsem or Malsumis.) This name, which simply means "wolf" in Abnaki-Penobscot, is sometimes given as belonging to an evil wolf who is Gluscabi's twin brother. However, some Wabanaki elders have been adamant this is not a real Wabanaki myth. It is likely an Anglo corruption of Chippewa and other Great Lakes Algonquian legends -- their culture hero, Nanabozho, does have a twin brother who is a wolf (though that character is Nanabozho's closest friend, not evil.) Here is an academic article about the possible origin of this confusion.

˜Grandmother Woodchuck (Nokemes Agaskw, in the Penobscot language.) Gluscabi's wise old grandmother, who raised him.

˜Bemola (also spelled Bmola, Pmola, Pomola, Pamola, etc.) A bird spirit that lived on Mt Katahdin and made cold weather. Pronounced buh-moh-lah.

˜Wuchowsen (also spelled Wajosen or Wad-zoo-sen) Another mountain bird spirit, whose wings make the wind. Pronounced wuh-dzo-sen.

nichi

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007, 01:57:00 AM »
What a great story!

Penobscot Lore:

WHY WE NEED WIND

nichi

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2007, 02:44:34 AM »
What's your bloodline?

My mother's side of the doings is Italian with a mixture from my grandmother. My father's is French with a mixing of bloods Ive not yet fully discovered either.

Maybe yes, maybe no!  I know when I read what you've uncovered here, I get the occasional goosebumps, so I sure would say, keep exploring this world, Jen!

Does bloodline make any difference? I'm not sure, Jen. I believe half of my flaws and abilities go back to being a blue-eyed red-head with almost no melanin. But the red-haired gene is a rider gene ... not an overt trait. (In abundance in the british isles, I understand.)  So if I felt a connection to things-gaelic or celtic (which I do), that might account for it, I don't know.  If these things ran in the blood, that preference would have to go to some root of some sort, for things-gaelic/celtic just weren't around in my environment of origin. In fact, there was never a discussion of heritage!

I understand/appreciate the idea of the ancestors... but instead, I've sought to learn of a different sort of lineage ... connections in the spiritual, here and now.  My clan .. here and now. (Here and now .. and then, of course...)  :) 

But we all must go where we're called .. I can see how Penawahpskkewi would be calling you!

« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 09:33:33 PM by nichi »

erismoksha

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2007, 02:52:18 AM »
Jen,

Cultures give people something for their longing for identification, I dont see anything wrong with wishing to explore the present life, and culture, or even a past life and culture as well. Because that exploration still has purpose in itself; and can still lead that individual on discoveries from it.

Also, I definitely do believe ancestors can and do stay with us, can also become 'guides' for us on the path. And an individual can explore that world, and travel within it, with those specific guides, which still even happenstance, can still potentially free up energy in itself, or untangle certain things which must be untangled.

Interesting the palm reader dropped your hand, even came across confident; Its always good, however, to use discernment, whilst it can be interesting to get feedback, and some may be good at what they do, I would say more is in the connection - via a true reader - from the connection of holding a hand than reading the 'lines' on the hand itself. Tho I will say, that while I have questioned in past the authenticity of the lines on the palm, I do have some interesting grooves, like a year ago, I noticed a very small, yet noticable lump emerge right on the middle of the heart line, left. For some reason, this little lump, seems to tell 'me' something, and perhaps a palm reader would weigh quite a bit into it, but I really dont need them to tell me what it means....

If you're exploring this avenue, I think that is good, even you must be doing it maybe not for necessarily finding a particular 'identification,' but to be able to transfer into another dimension which you may wish to explore for your own self. This may be appropriate with you, and best to make some physical contacts with some others.

native american culture, there is a real connection, of course per history, of preservation because so many are now gone, but preservation of a dying bloodline. However, who is to say, even if the bloodline is not detectable or is absent from your own self, in past you may have not been that, at one time, which may be some reason for the current resonating you may be doing.

For the record, least my observations - whilst you may not necessarily stem from that bloodline and heritage, you do seem to have a particular connection and affinity for it. So who can really determine if you are to go that route or not, follow your bliss on that one. Totems, affinity for earth cultures and so forth, that may be something that is actually 'you,' or it may be something you may find over time you revive for yourself on the journey and becomes a newer creation than resurrecting an older one.

erik

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2007, 03:06:22 AM »
What's your bloodline?

I'm Estonian-Russian mixture. I know my ancestors back to grandparents and that's it. Rather than looking at their lives from outside, I try to look from 'inside'. Visit places significant to them, get the feeling of how they saw world, what they accomplished and where they got stuck.

As to my lives farther in the past, then I have been shown bits and pieces from them and that has awakened memory. I've never studied these lives with the aim of getting full description, but rather to establish where I am 'now'. What has been experienced already and what not, i.e. what I 'know' and what not.

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2007, 03:53:29 AM »
Me: Id be interesting in hearing your thoughts on what youve discovered and how that benifits your current awareness of self.

Vicki: I understand/appreciate the idea of the ancestors... but instead, I've sought to learn of a different sort of lineage ... connections in the spiritual, here and now.  My clan .. here and now. (Here and now .. and then, of course...)   

Ellen:  I definitely do believe ancestors can and do stay with us, can also become 'guides' for us on the path. And an individual can explore that world, and travel within it, with those specific guides, which still even happenstance, can still potentially free up energy in itself, or untangle certain things which must be untangled.

Juhani:  but rather to establish where I am 'now'. What has been experienced already and what not, i.e. what I 'know' and what not.

Lots of thoughts leading from the past to the here and now...

erik

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2007, 04:01:27 AM »
It all boils down to who you want to be for your ancestors. We carry their cross, too. Where to - is up to us.

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2007, 04:13:15 AM »
I know Im jumping all over the place.. V mentioned hair and eye color and it sparks thoughts of my son.

Its interesting to have a birds eye veiw of a childs interests and things that seem to pop out of "no where"

When I had my son I was completely shocked when I saw him, bright blue eyes and blonde hair. (his hair has since darkend) Noone in my family going quite far back has such. His father is German/ Not sure. But the dominate hair and eye color of that family from what I saw was dark hair and dark eyes.

He also had a (what I considered strange or well... something) strong interest in watching war shows and history channel when very young. Instead of watching childrens shows he'd sit and watch the history channel as young as 4 years old.

He took a strong interest in Hilter. Even researched him on the internet when he was old enough to read and wrote things down ect..

These things dont exactly seem to be "this life" inspired.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk