Author Topic: What is the significance of death for you?  (Read 312 times)

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
What is the significance of death for you?
« on: December 22, 2007, 03:12:33 PM »
there has been numerous references to death in the posts, as is only to be expected.

some things i have said and wish to say soon, are geared around my understanding of the significance of death to me.

for some, death may be a cold prickly best not thought of, or it may be a blip on a far longer journey, while for others it may be the complete end. Many people many approaches.

For me, death is absolutely critical. My entire life was reviewed and re-aligned under the impact of my thoughts and experiences of death.

I have studied as many variations of attitudes to death as I could find - well at least those which gave me a sense there was a dedicated attempt to get a deep grasp of what is one of the ultimate mysteries.

I don't wish to talk here of my experiences, but of their consequences upon my posture towards what I apply myself to in life.

For me, death means this phase is over, this unique incredible opportunity is gone. There will be more opportunities and more phases - i am one who has an intrinsic belief in the continuance of consciousness, although in what form? my options are as open as possible - i don't wish to curtail any possibility with self-fulfilling expectations. Tho at the same time, I have a well thought out and pondered working model.

This means I am unable to just cruise through life with a sense of 'whatever'. This is also why I am constantly scrutinising what I am doing and where I am. I recall Gurdjieff coming upon a woman practicing the piano. He said to her. "Must find quicker way."

That is what I constantly throw at myself. Am I wasting my time? Am I being too inefficient with my time and energy?

I have a vision. That there is a threshold I am capable of passing through in my life - the highest possible threshold available to me at this point of my level of evolution. I don't want to settle for anything less!

I don't wish to be carried to my death in the arms of my convictions, like that cat in CC's book. Filled with my comfortable beliefs and my trust in the arms of my own laziness. Time is always running out for me. Always i keep the devil's advocate breathing down my goose-bumped neck.

This causes me to be filled with scepticism with a forum like Soma. What good is it doing anyone?

Well I will speak about the positive side of that soon. But for now, my devil's advocate (my DA) casts a ruthless glance at all these people who come here filled with their comfortable little attitudes, sharing the friendship of the arms of a death by barbiturates. All futile! No one is going anywhere, or if they are, it's all too slow, too little, too late.

I fear. I fear intensely, that my DA is spot-on! And i am as trapped as everyone else - that's the critical bit. We value friendship, we value not upsetting each other. We value accepting each other's right to be who we are. We value respect, we value compassion and love for each other which says, we must not throw any spanners in any spokes lest we risk the warmth and friendship. And all this is our oh so clever little death trap, as it has sent us to sleep, while the knives are being sharpened right now as I speak, behind the next corner - your time is close, my turn is next... off to the smirking beak. which says as it chomps, "You had your chance, but you fluffed it."

This is what death constantly does to me, with it's enigmatic and cynical grin. I can't afford to lie back with the warm feelings of camaraderie. My DA is always at my side saying, "You are blowing it big time kid. You are just like all those fools you thought so superior to - you're on the fool's slipper slide into oblivion... and you could have had it all. Pity."

Clarity causing one to despise one's fellow humans - that's a very interesting comment. I can relate to that! Or causing indifference. G B Shaw I think it was said the worst thing one can do to one's fellow humans is to be indifferent to them. And clarity is an enemy, another illusion. There is no end to the illusions, the delusions, the possibilities and the missed opportunities.

My DA's illusory clarity is causing me to despise my own stupidity, my own clever words and futile creations. There must be quicker way! An illusion?

This is why I have two eyes. One is piercing through, always saying bullshit, or as Zen would say, Mu.

The other is full of joy and acceptance of the universe - everything is fine, the spirit is all around and within - there is nowhere to go, nothing to change, and I can sit in absolute peace and silence, without the slightest breath of concern causing the merest ripple on the surface of my deep inner ocean.

Which one will I be today?

My DA is chuckling in mockery. My Vishnu is a blaze of glory and light. And me, I am just trying to get through the day.

death won't go away
my old friend

so don't come to me asking for sanctuary, for answers, for support. I'm just being honest - all I will do is drop you through the same chasm I fell through. My path is the path of the panic attack, the coccyx spasm, the black freedom which opens beneath your feet as the walls recede beyond reach.

lunch time...

and so what does death mean to you?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 12:07:34 AM by Michael »

nichi

Re: What is the significance of death for you?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 05:35:37 PM »
For me, death means this phase is over, this unique incredible opportunity is gone.

I can't afford to lie back with the warm feelings of camaraderie.

Michael, have you ever considered that "the warm feelings of camaraderie" are all part of the "unique, incredible opportunity"? Not the be-all and end-all, for we are all on our own in the end ... but definitely part of this life and this living?

I can understand the drive to never be complacent, and to never feel satisfied -- for there is so much to be done. But perhaps I differ here in a need to deprive myself of basic "feelings", in general. For me, part of the "unique opportunity" lies in everything a human can do... else why did I choose this life? How can I lose the human form before I've been human?

..... casts a ruthless glance at all these people who come here filled with their comfortable little attitudes, sharing the friendship of the arms of a death by barbiturates. All futile! No one is going anywhere, or if they are, it's all too slow, too little, too late.

I'm someone who is very hard on self, in my own way. I try, though, to take care about the indictment of others' souls ... I know not where you will go. I dare not say how far you have come. I will not limit your efforts by decrying them as futile. I'm not even sure if that's an "efficient" thing to do.

When we feel trapped, sometimes we lash out... It's hard enough working our own roads ... It isn't for me to say if you will cross the threshold you wish to cross...

I wish the same for myself, to cross the threshold, consciousness in tact. I'm still learning.

Part of the learning comes from the "warm camaraderie" with souls like you and others here. Not all of the learning comes from there, of course. I've lived 54 years... 

Spirit led me here and here I am. 
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 06:03:46 PM by nichi »

Taimi

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 10:37:24 PM »
i tried to think about it, but i couldn't come up with anything meaningful.

death is a getaway from this madness .  i'd rather die forever than live endlessly in thiskind of human world.

it seems to me that death is not the thing that makes me act. rather some desire for a magical feeling of spirit.

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
  • Let us dance of freedom~
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 12:01:07 AM »
Good post Michael! I want to take a bit and let it sit with me before replying..

« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 01:24:02 AM by Raven »
Without constant complete silence meditation - samadi - we lose ourselves in the game.  MM

Offline kaycee

• Sadhu
    • Heartwinds
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 01:27:49 AM »
In the words of my double, "Don't sweat the small stuff, and human intellect can only fathom the small."

For me it is not important that I understand mindfully this step labeled death.  It is enough that I know it will come and I'll know it when it gets here.  Just another "AHA!" moment along a path that will continue.

Do I have any idea what will happen then?  Nope, but then I don't even have an idea of what will be happening in the next half-hour.  Maybe I'll be dead.

So, I live each now moment as if it were my last on this plane, seeking and giving what awareness I can. 

If that brings me here to drink from the deep well of Soma, to be refreshed or to cramp up, so be it.  If it brings a friend or two, or an enemy or two, I'll enjoy that small stuff as it occurs.

I see no benefit - to me - to be unkind or less than gentle.  That is just my choice as to how I express my humanity, my small stuff offering.  And as such, I don't mind at all sharing, caring, and even assisting as guide or friend. 

But, the very moment I become aware that I'm carrying too much small stuff and it has become a heavy load - I do precisely shrug it off ... and step up.

I guess that's death to me - shrugging off the small stuff and stepping up.  For me, not an unhappy thought.

Luv, K

The journey becomes an adventure only when the baggage gets lost.

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 02:30:23 AM »
beautifully said

Offline Shamaya

• Pir
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 10:28:08 AM »
beautifully said

Ditto.  :D

To me I've always seen death as another step in a long journey, and depending on what I need, choose or postion on my path, this all factors into where I go next.  The image of a spiral comes to mind.  It's just hard to see where you are on the spiral as you walk it.

...have you ever considered that "the warm feelings of camaraderie" are all part of the "unique, incredible opportunity"?

V - I like how you bring emotion into it, because for me I can't think of death without thinking of all the emotion tied to it.  But do realize it as a learning tool.  

I guess I think of death as another learning tool to the path of life.
The body is an instrument played by the Divine; listen to its music.
Reflect not, but respond to it with spontaneous right action in the moment.
Be the uninhibited dancer and move to the rhythm of Spirit.
© Barbara Atkinson

Offline Shamaya

• Pir
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 01:17:44 AM »
Good post Michael! I want to take a bit and let it sit with me before replying..

:) ? :)
The body is an instrument played by the Divine; listen to its music.
Reflect not, but respond to it with spontaneous right action in the moment.
Be the uninhibited dancer and move to the rhythm of Spirit.
© Barbara Atkinson

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
  • Let us dance of freedom~
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 03:07:06 AM »
8)  Thats very sneaky of you dear sister.. If I didnt know better it would seem as if the coyote has been playing inside your heart.  :D

Yes, yes.. Ill bring this back to my attention.. thank you!  :-*

I think I covered this rather well in my rambles yesterday.. should of been typing along as I was talking huh.

To be honest every time I think to write on this thread my thoughts spread out in so many directions all related to the same topic, .. I guess I could just start somewhere ;)
Without constant complete silence meditation - samadi - we lose ourselves in the game.  MM

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
  • Love You ALL To The Moon and Back...
    • SIR
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2009, 06:23:56 PM »
I have a vision. That there is a threshold I am capable of passing through in my life - the highest possible threshold available to me at this point of my level of evolution. I don't want to settle for anything less!

I don't wish to be carried to my death in the arms of my convictions, like that cat in CC's book. Filled with my comfortable beliefs and my trust in the arms of my own laziness. Time is always running out for me. Always i keep the devil's advocate breathing down my goose-bumped neck.

I know I posted the quotes from this in GG somewhere. I guess I saw the story a bit differently - matter of fact, I found it one of the most powerful snippets of wisdom from de ole tales of power. But one thing was, when I thought about the cat who got away, was it fate any better? I know the other was put down, and the other had at least a shot; still though, a cat loose like that, if domesticated would have to really rely and resurrect many instincts. And if it enjoyed being taken care of, and was used to it, when being alone and on its own, that could unrattle it. Like what if the other cat who got away went totally mad, insane from being free - cause in a way, that coulda happened and I wonder if that would be a desirable thing. Both may die but.. still, going totally mad and having its spirit broken along the way, wouldn't be a good thing.

Still though cats are very impressive even the domesticated ones who learn to live on the street, they can adapt. But still, I think they'd do what many cats do, try to find some home and someone to feed them.

Its funny cause I still have strays always coming to my place, singling me out. They came to me before I had cats in the house. So I guess I have that natural affinity for them.. they find me, and maybe too the cat was lucky and found some better owner who wouldnt be so quick to put it down.
"A warrior doesn't seek anything for his solace, nor can he possibly leave anything to chance. A warrior actually affects the outcome of events by the force of his awareness and his unbending intent." - don Juan

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
  • Love You ALL To The Moon and Back...
    • SIR
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2024, 11:41:08 PM »
Im gonna be 55 tomorrow. Technically a senior.

I came in here rather young, like the ash's. I have reviewed old things I was somewhat naive. But I still will go over things I said and I still had a lot of wisdom, even back then.

I had no choice to have it. Considering everyone was conspiring against me. Eager to see me fall.

Really I shouldnt say everyone. But sure ex, and sis, oh and her husband too. As my family was small tho, "everybody" fits.

On death and dying. I could have left. I actually felt I could go to the other side and fight - not disappear but. I had to stay here cause that was like quitting if I left.

We either despise death, or romantisize it, or fear it. Im going to push it off me as long as it takes. I aint going to die anytime soon, if I can help it.

One thing, I think we all "know" what death is, better than other folks who...have seriously lost touch with...all of it. Its all flowered up.

Capricorn dont crack. Ive turned back the clock in me energetically. I feel actually younger than ive felt in awhile. Maybe cause the observer is so timeless.

I live my life a day at a time and just try to enjoy each moment Ive got. I know im on borrowed time, I get that. Try to put some good in the world before I go. Complete whatever little mission I gotta do. Make sure I dont miss a beat on that.

I have no fear of death. Just not finishing what Im supposed to in this life. Death is the easy part. Living is much much harder.

Im thankful many things. But most thankful for this: Im not a dumbass. Im not walking around, ignorant and blind. I feel very bad for those who are. I am awake. And I wish my fellow humans would join me, so we could all get free of the matrix. That may not be totally realistic as folks do seem to prefer illusion to reality. But I can dream.
"A warrior doesn't seek anything for his solace, nor can he possibly leave anything to chance. A warrior actually affects the outcome of events by the force of his awareness and his unbending intent." - don Juan

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2024, 02:40:01 AM »
It is my view, that being a purist is for wimps. Always use both sides of the river. We grow from reflecting on life data - insufficient data or insufficient reflection, means stagnation. Jump in and taste as much as possible. I'm a tantric...
Agree Agree x 1 View List

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk