Author Topic: US Elections 2008  (Read 1898 times)

tangerine dream

Re: US Elections 2008
« Reply #165 on: November 05, 2008, 10:37:04 PM »
Apparently you have nothing substantial to say, only wishful thinking, as usual.

This game of yours is quite fascinating to observe.

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
Re: HOORAY
« Reply #166 on: November 05, 2008, 10:38:50 PM »
I do see it as the potential for the beginning of redemption. The changes which need to happen in the US, like I said before, will take at least a generation to put into effect. Probably more. But this is a start -- and you might have to live in the US to know what this means -- to know what a triumph it is. Americans just might get nudged out of their morose helplessness here, wherein there was psychic surrender to the silent, secret, racist police of mafioso ethics.

Did any of you US citizens vote?

tangerine dream

« Reply #167 on: November 05, 2008, 10:46:52 PM »

I am a non-voter traditionally, but if I was an American, this is an election I would have considered voting in.

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #168 on: November 05, 2008, 10:52:55 PM »
It is an amazing moment for people watchers. I feel another side of Americans has come out and spoken in overwhelming volume that they want a change for the better. That is a good sign.

I have been listening to commentaries on the trip to Sydney today, and most say that he will be assailed from the Left, as he will simply not be able to deliver - no money left. A decade of suppressed yearnings of the Left of US politics will have to be suppressed again, as the only game in town is survival - firstly economic survival.

I have been watching this man, and I am willing to give him some credit - his rhetoric is impressive, and that is not an insubstantial thing, as he will need to articulate to the people, but the big question: is he the man for the job that has to be done?

maybe... just maybe the US might be lucky this time.

I am not an adherer of 'hope'. I use it like I use a good strong back wind, but I never rely on it for my actions or intent. Yet in this case, I will allow myself to hope this man succeeds, because the world needs these leaders like never before.

The US, and the world, have good reason to celebrate. Dangerous eyes are watching, but this guy could just slip through their net. But if he doesn't, then the task will remain, and another will be found. I sense humanity is at a powerful crossroads, and there will be many worthy people rising to the fore - even some here in this forum.

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #169 on: November 05, 2008, 10:56:09 PM »
I was also impressed with McCain's speech. He had some good stuff that man - pity they didn't let him at it a lot sooner.

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #170 on: November 05, 2008, 11:05:40 PM »
Here is an interesting article, originally from the Washington Post:

Why Sarah Palin could be last in a line of culture warriors

Jahn

« Reply #171 on: November 06, 2008, 04:46:59 AM »

In Phoenix, McCain, 72, delivered a gracious concession speech that nodded to history and his erstwhile foe.

"We have come to the end of a long journey," a somber McCain said. "The American people have spoken, and they have spoken clearly. This is an historic election, and I recognize the special significance it has for African Americans and the special pride that must be theirs tonight."

He shushed the crowd when they booed Obama -- "Please," McCain said, motioning for silence -- and urged them to join him in working with the incoming president for the greater good of the country. "Whatever our differences," McCain said, "we are fellow Americans."

I saw a part the speech of McCain, I think he was a good sportsman, and a good loser. Now he can retire with honor.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 04:59:02 AM by Jamir »

Jahn

A young Nelson Mandela
« Reply #172 on: November 06, 2008, 04:55:40 AM »
Barack in Berlin, July 2008

What I see in Barack Obama is actually a young Nelson Mandela. I must admit that I have difficulties to accept some male Africaans as being ... hmm ... civilized. There are a few guest students here so I meet a few in the corridors, they are of course polite but often, when I meet an African student it is like two UFO's meeting.

But when it comes to Nelson Mandela I sense so much integrity, so much love and wisdom and alignment to the Nagual that one experience something beyond physical body and culture. A task that unite us, the wish to reform old patterns, the desire to bring in light into a dark system. But I am no politician, I am a grey dull researcher.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 03:35:17 AM by nichi »

Jahn

Listen to a Interview with the Governer of Michigan
« Reply #173 on: November 06, 2008, 05:08:52 AM »
This was sent Yesterday before the final election. The interviews is perhaps some weeks old.
The Governor Jennifer Granholm has her roots in Sweden. But please don't be afraid of the Swedish in the beginning of the video, after about 40 sec. the interview starts and it is all in English.

To get Full Screen, please click on "Fullskärm" to the right below the video.

The next man "Isakson - (son of Isak) has also a root from Sweden while the third person interviewed Thurber is a professional in polls that has some personal knowledge and experiences about both Obama and McCain.

http://svt.se/svt/road/Classic/shared/mediacenter/index.jsp?&d=73434
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 07:47:06 AM by Jamir »

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #174 on: November 06, 2008, 08:40:34 AM »
what do I click on when I get to that page - it's all in gobbledygook.

Offline Quantum Shaman

• Pir
  • Destruction of faith is the beginning of evolution
    • Quantum Shaman
« Reply #175 on: November 06, 2008, 03:25:13 PM »

I decided more or less at the last minute to vote on a couple of things.  Voted for the president.  Voted for a proposition that demands more humane treatment of commercial farm animals.  And I voted against Prop 8, which unfortunately passed, and bans gay marriage in California.  This morning, in the aftermath of the election, I fired off a rant about the idiocy of a fear-based religion which is still controlling the minds of most of the US population.  I'll spare Soma from the rant, but if anyone cares to read it, it's on my Live Journal at...

http://quantumshaman.livejournal.com/#entry_78866

Overall, I see very little purpose in voting these days.  The elctions here aren't really decided by "the people", but by the lobbyists and the electoral college, and the candidates with the most $$$ to spend on their campaigns.  Voting is just a formality, giving us the illusion that we have "power," when all evidence points sharply in the other direction.

Am I a cynic?  You betcha!  :o
"You have to be immortal before you will know how to become immortal."
Quantum Shaman  | Quantum Shaman on Facebook

Offline Quantum Shaman

• Pir
  • Destruction of faith is the beginning of evolution
    • Quantum Shaman
« Reply #176 on: November 06, 2008, 03:52:20 PM »
I decided more or less at the last minute to vote on a couple of things.  Voted for the president.  Voted for a proposition that demands more humane treatment of commercial farm animals.  And I voted against Prop 8, which unfortunately passed, and bans gay marriage in California.  This morning, in the aftermath of the election, I fired off a rant about the idiocy of a fear-based religion which is still controlling the minds of most of the US population.  I'll spare Soma from the rant, but if anyone cares to read it, it's on my Live Journal at...

http://quantumshaman.livejournal.com/#entry_78866

Overall, I see very little purpose in voting these days.  The elctions here aren't really decided by "the people", but by the lobbyists and the electoral college, and the candidates with the most $$$ to spend on their campaigns.  Voting is just a formality, giving us the illusion that we have "power," when all evidence points sharply in the other direction.

Am I a cynic?  You betcha!  :o

Wrote this prior to reading the whole thread from the past few days.  Sorry, folks, but I have to agree with Juhani about a few things - not the least of which is the acceptance of the fact that nothing really changes.  We have a new president in the White House, but until the SPIRIT of this country finds itself again, even if Obama really IS the messiah, he will find himself surrounded largely by a population of indulgent sheeple.  Sorry - but I've lived here for 53 years, and watched a few presidents come and go - enough to know that the guy in office can serve as a role model, but if the PEOPLE aren't willing to change, then change isn't going to happen at any sort of cultural/social/spiritual level.

Oh, I've watched this election and seen a lot of people telling themselves that "If only we get Obama in the White House, things will change!"  What they don't realize is that they are more or less just repeating his campaign slogan.  Programming, in other words, though they might even believe it is their own original thought.

Don't get me wrong.  I voted for the guy myself - mainly because a good friend of mine knew I wasn't planning to vote at all.  Since it didn't really matter to me one way or the other (except I do acknowledge that Palin was one scary old heifer!), I more or less voted for the dude as a favor to my friend (who is far more politically oriented and informed than I would ever pretend to be).  So sue me... I'm not politically motivated because, in the grand scheme of things, none of this is going to matter in a million years.  But I digress...

Point being - any "leader" is only as good as his "followers".  And while I suspect Obama can be a good leader, I utterly lack faith in his potential followers - i.e., the American public.  I'd love to be proven wrong, but I rather doubt that will happen.  America has been described as a nation that has lost its soul - and after everything I've observed in the course of this election, I am inclined to agree.  Until THAT changes, I see very little hope for any real social or cultural raising of awareness.

Sorry to be so "negative", but I don't think rose-colored glasses are going to change the world.  Any "change" has to come at the level of spirit - and, sadly, most of the people I encounter these days aren't much interested in spirit.  They want their MTV, their fast food wrapped in six layers of packaging, and their comforting little belief systems that come through the rhetoric of their fear-based religion.  Not much room for spirit in any of that.

I am very willing to be proven wrong.  Please - prove me wrong!   8)
"You have to be immortal before you will know how to become immortal."
Quantum Shaman  | Quantum Shaman on Facebook

nichi

« Reply #177 on: November 06, 2008, 04:07:31 PM »
Rose-colored glasses are bad   ... so is constant nihilism. Me for something in the middle, a little more balanced.

nichi

« Reply #178 on: November 06, 2008, 05:09:48 PM »
(At least until I have the means to permanently retreat to Mt Kailish.)

Offline daphne

• Rishi
« Reply #179 on: November 06, 2008, 05:29:29 PM »

Sorry to be so "negative", but I don't think rose-colored glasses are going to change the world.  Any "change" has to come at the level of spirit - and, sadly, most of the people I encounter these days aren't much interested in spirit.  They want their MTV, their fast food wrapped in six layers of packaging, and their comforting little belief systems that come through the rhetoric of their fear-based religion.  Not much room for spirit in any of that.

I am very willing to be proven wrong.  Please - prove me wrong!   8)

I read your rant... excellent it was!

Perception is an interesting animal. Both 'negative' and 'rose-coloured' are really meaningless... what is, is.

Don't know that I could prove you wrong, or even care to.  *lol*

I am utterly fascinated by the inconsistency in the polls in California, Florida and Arizona. It appears that not all rights are equal!   :)
"The compulsion to possess and hold on to things is not unique. Everyone who wants to follow the warrior's path has to rid himself of this fixation in order not to focus our dreaming body on the weak face of the second attention." - The Eagle's Gift

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk