Author Topic: US Elections 2008  (Read 1849 times)

nichi

Re: US Elections 2008
« Reply #90 on: November 03, 2008, 12:43:49 PM »
I concur -- he does shine.

Offline daphne

• Rishi
« Reply #91 on: November 03, 2008, 02:45:20 PM »
http://www.stinkyjournalism.org/latest-journalism-news-updates-136.php

Fascinating link you posted! Politics seems to be one of those emotive options in life. Nothing much really changes; even Presidents can't do that much.. the 'machinery' is just too unwieldy.. not to mention all those other 'interests' on the sidelines..

I've been following the USA Presidential election process... I find the 'Cult of Personality' rather fascinating. Here, South African politics are very into 'Cult of Personality' and since we are up for elections early next year, its kind of a current hobby of mine -  a not-doing   *lol*
There has been a split out of the ruling party that appears to be the next step in our fledgling democracy. Nothing on the scale of American politics.. though nevertheless rather interesting for Africa.
"The compulsion to possess and hold on to things is not unique. Everyone who wants to follow the warrior's path has to rid himself of this fixation in order not to focus our dreaming body on the weak face of the second attention." - The Eagle's Gift

erik

« Reply #92 on: November 03, 2008, 06:31:03 PM »
Putting politics aside...

How would you do that? Politics is what Obama DOES. That is what he is committed and dedicated to. That is his whole life as with any lesser commitment you don't get so far.

He has voiced all these promises he is most unlikely to keep.
That is what he does.

Some say it is for 'greater good' as 'useful idiots' need to be recruited at any cost to get the votes, and then do what needs to be done 'for the benefit of the nation'.

Thus, a lie, an unfounded promise here and there is actually for a 'greater good' - to have a slight chance to do even a little bit. Quite like nagual doing his tricks, but one needs an awareness of a nagual to not fall for own lies and tricks. Does he have it? In other words - is there a shortcut, can anybody be naturally (without years of efforts) that strong and have that much awareness?

He may radiate like a radiator, but will it ever have any effect or will it ever actually manifest elsewhere than in recruiting 'useful idiots'?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 06:48:33 PM by 829th »

nichi

« Reply #93 on: November 03, 2008, 08:05:32 PM »
Who knows the answers to your questions, E? No one -- not yet, anyway.
The man can have a lot of light about him -- it's a fair observation.

More than likely as that office wears upon him, we'll see it a lot less. Right now its's available for the seeing, though. Why should we let your worldview guide us to not see it? I only ask because you seem annoyed that it was mentioned.

It's a rare thing to see a politician with light. I've only seen it once before.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 08:09:37 PM by nichi »

erik

« Reply #94 on: November 03, 2008, 08:09:45 PM »
More than likely as that office wears upon him, we'll see it a lot less. Right now its's available for the seeing, though. Why should we let your worldview guide us to not see it? I only ask because you seem annoyed that it was mentioned.

How about not letting oneself being carried away by hope? That's my point.

Offline daphne

• Rishi
« Reply #95 on: November 03, 2008, 08:11:49 PM »
Well.. I have no particular annoyance re the man..  but I don't know about him shining either... didn't see that myself. What I see is a man that came out of literally nowhere, and is now cited to be the next president of one of the most powerful nations in our world. Perhaps I'm skeptical.. but it does make me wonder.. so much "hope" on so many fronts, carrying so many different agendas, all vested in one man?

This is of course all coming from an 'outsider'..  :)
"The compulsion to possess and hold on to things is not unique. Everyone who wants to follow the warrior's path has to rid himself of this fixation in order not to focus our dreaming body on the weak face of the second attention." - The Eagle's Gift

nichi

« Reply #96 on: November 03, 2008, 08:12:43 PM »
How about not letting oneself being carried away by hope? That's my point.

"Hope" seems to be a theme with you in the last couple of days. Who said anything about it?  He may or may not use that light in office. Frankly, I think the odds are so overwhelmingly against even his survival, that I'm not looking for it to manifest.

But it's nice to see it.

erik

« Reply #97 on: November 03, 2008, 08:21:17 PM »
Hopes, fears, etc.
But then it's me.
Never mind me. I get periodically fed up with that stuff.

nichi

« Reply #98 on: November 03, 2008, 08:21:35 PM »
But I'll address hope here.
I haven't had hope in re the US politicians since the 70's.
But I see one thing: the US needs a great leader.  Obama probably will not be that leader, even if he's elected. He'd spend most of his term fighting stereotypes and hatred. He'd be a groundbreaker.

I'm sure "all of the world" can logically see that the US needs a strong leader, but I'm talking about greatness. A true role model, to lead us out of the pits in which we've landed. Someone, in particular, who does not shun the rest of the world.

Maybe I'll see it in my lifetime -- maybe not.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 08:36:15 PM by nichi »

erik

« Reply #99 on: November 03, 2008, 08:23:50 PM »
You hope there is a way out of the pits...and a leader might show it...

nichi

« Reply #100 on: November 03, 2008, 08:33:19 PM »
No, I know that there is a way out of the pits -- the pits I'm talking about, that is. I haven't seen any of your writings address those pits, as cleverly critical as you are, and it might be something that you have to "be here" to perceive and know. I'm talking about the psyche of the country.

There's malaise here ... it needs healing. You can put sight of the need for healing in any category you wish ... that's your issue. I don't believe the country is hopeless, though, any more than I believe you are.

It would be a big job, and not something which could happen over night. Were it to be in swing, it would take a generation or 2 for this healing.

nichi

« Reply #101 on: November 03, 2008, 08:38:00 PM »
(But it surely isn't in swing now.)

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #102 on: November 03, 2008, 08:43:50 PM »
We don't know what will happen.

A leader can make a difference - viz George Bush, Adolf Hitler, Ashoka, Akbar - and yet, will human nature change?

So much hope and expectation - it is a problem.

nichi

« Reply #103 on: November 03, 2008, 08:54:54 PM »
We don't know what will happen.

A leader can make a difference - viz George Bush, Adolf Hitler, Ashoka, Akbar - and yet, will human nature change?

So much hope and expectation - it is a problem.

Franklin D Roosevelt was the one in the US who really changed things. Abraham Lincoln before him. We need another like them.

I'd include JFK, but he was only a starter -- as in, he didn't get to finish. He was a good catalyst, though.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 10:30:54 PM by nichi »

erik

« Reply #104 on: November 03, 2008, 09:04:52 PM »
Franklin D Roosevelt was the one in the US who really changed things. Abraham Lincoln before him. We need another like them.

Yet all they have ever done has brought us to where we are...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk