Author Topic: The Gospel of Mary  (Read 187 times)

Jahn

The Gospel of Mary
« on: January 12, 2008, 11:11:24 PM »

"the final goal of salvation is not the resurrection of the body at the end of the age, but the ascent of the soul to God - both in this life by following the Saviour's teaching, and at death when the bonds between the body and soul are loosened beyond time and eternity. There is no hell and no eternal punishment in the Gospel of Mary's teachings, for God is not conceived as a wrathful ruler or judge, but is called simply the Good. Nor is God called Father, for gender, sexuality, and the social roles ascribed to them are part of the lower material realm. Even the true spiritual nature of human beings is non-gendered, so that people are truly neither male nor female, but simply Human in the accordance with the divine Image of the transcendent Good.”

The Gospel of Mary of Magdala - Jesus and the first woman apostle (pp 37-38). Karen L King. 2003.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 05:34:41 AM by Jahn »

Jahn

Re: The Gospel of Mary
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 11:18:08 PM »

The Saviour’ farewell

“When the Blessed One had said these things, he greeted them all “Peace be with you!” he said. “Acquire my peace within yourselves!”

Be on your guard so that no one deceives you by saying ‘Look over here!’ or ‘Look over there!’ For the child of true Humanity exists within you. Follow it! Those who search for it will find it. Go then, preach the good news about the Realm. Do not lay down any rule beyond what I determined for you, nor promulgate law like the lawgiver, or else you might be dominated by it.”

The Gospel of Mary.

Jahn

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 11:37:31 PM »

Those who search it will find it, the Saviour assures his disciples.

Note how one is not to find it: by looking outside of oneself. The Gospel of Mark, for example, understands the Son of Man to be a messianic figure who will come in clouds with power and glory in the end time (13:26)*. In contrast, the Gospel of Mary admonishes:

Be on your guard so that no one deceives you by saying ‘Look over here!’ or ‘Look over there!’

This warning shows a knowledge of apocalyptic eschatology, such as we see in the Gospel of Mark and many other sources but it rejects it entirely. The Gospel of Mary does not understand “Son of Man” as a messianic title and never uses it to refer to Jesus. For the Gospel of Mary, the Son of Man is not the Saviour Jesus, but the true self within.”

The Gospel of Mary of Magdala (pp 59-60). Karen L King. 2003.

*Mark 13:26. “Then they will see the Son of Man coming in the clouds with great power and glory”

Offline kaycee

• Sadhu
    • Heartwinds
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 01:25:29 AM »
In an Essene book, "The Essene Book of Days" - they describe an energy of Missiayah, expanded consciousness.  This term was known to some long before Jesus of Nazareth was born.

That the term was changed to Messiah and given to Jesus is in reference to his expanded consciousness and his teachings thereof.

Thus I take it to mean that the "return of the Messiah" does not necessicarily mean someONE from the clouds, but a return (in numbers sufficient to "tip the scales") of an expanded consciousness energy of Missiayah.

It's a word-splitting thing though and does - to me - allow room for the beliefs of many.  Because I know it is possible for the clouds to part and a being to walk through - haven't we all seen one or two? - but by the same token - doesn't one need to have a bit of an expanded consciousness/awareness to "see" that parting and coming. 

It's a circle, and I love circles!  So looking here and looking there is okay, I think.  As long as I don't look from any place other than mySelf, the center of my circle.

Thus the Biblical quote (fractured here by me): "All that I can do, you can do ... and more."

Luv, K

The journey becomes an adventure only when the baggage gets lost.

Jahn

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 03:19:37 AM »
In an Essene book, "The Essene Book of Days" - they describe an energy of Missiayah, expanded consciousness.  This term was known to some long before Jesus of Nazareth was born.
Messiah is the Saviour and Jesus was the Saviour.

"Man" in Son of Man should be read as Human and son is non-gender only meaning descendent or offspring. The core self of us is the divine offspring of Human.

"In the Gospel of Mary, being human means that the Saviour's teachings has led the disciples to find the Image of the child of true Humanity within. They have grasped the archetypical Image and become truly Human."

There is also some misperceptions in some of the Bible that differs between male and female, men and woman. In the Gospel of Mary it is clear that "the natural state of humanity is ungendered" ..."the divine, transcendent Image to which the soul is to conform is non-gendered; sex and gender belong only to the lower sphere of temporary bodily existence."

Karen L King (pp. 60).

In more than one sense did Mary from Magdala challenge the male apostles.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 03:23:23 AM by Jahn »

Jahn

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 03:21:07 AM »

The original text is written in Coptic around the year of 500. About half of the Gospel is lost but the remaining part is good reading. The original document is supported by two other documents, “Papyrus Rylands” that is a Greek translation from the third century found in Egypt and a simpler Papurus text called Paper Oxyrhynchus also found in Egypt and written in the early third century.

Even that the original Gospel was found in Cairo 1896 it would take until 1955 before the findings where published. Two german scientist worked on the project, first Carl Schmidt, that was close to get the Gospel published in 1912 but an accident at the Press in Leipzig made it impossible then. After Schmidt's death in 1938 Walter Till took over and finally he decided to publish the text with a German translation.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk