Author Topic: Idries Shah  (Read 708 times)

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
Re: Idries Shah
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2008, 11:54:44 AM »
I am very fond of Idries Shah's collected stories.
He is an interesting man himself, and I'm not sure if he is still alive - probably not.
He was quite a teacher in England, and I heard some good stories about him.

nichi

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2008, 02:11:31 PM »
Seems that he died in 1996. You're right, he has an interesting resume for sure. Seems that he believed that sufiism predated islam.

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2008, 11:44:53 PM »
I have read his book Oriental Magic, but was not too taken with it. I may try to find that novel of his.

nichi

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2008, 12:23:02 AM »
It surprised me that he wrote a book about Gerald Gardner (certainly off the path of sufiism).

nichi

« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2008, 11:05:27 AM »
It is related that someone said to Sahl: "Many entirely worthy people oppose what you say and do. It has been said that this is because you do not compromise with them, and the progress of understanding of the Sufi Path is hindered thereby. Would it be appropriate to ask for clarification of this?"

Sahl said: "The only way in which the People of the Path can protect the Way and the disciples from narrow thinkers and destructive elements is to become unacceptable to such people. A wild animal will leave you alone if it dislikes you, so you must cause aversion if you cannot otherwise protect yourself from it.

"So when people say, 'You have tried to explain yourself to me and have failed,' this may mean, 'Unknown to me, you have made me avoid you, for the purpose of maintaining your own tranquillity.' "

as collected by Idries Shah

nichi

« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2008, 08:39:58 AM »
They asked Minai: "What are we to make of the work of the teachers of the past? We read their books and the accounts of their doings and sayings recorded for us. We perform their exercises, and we visit the places of their burial and teaching. Some people say, 'Do not visit shrines"; others say, 'Do not read books.'"

Minai answered: "The similitude of this situation is as the similitude of a strong wall built in the past. The old teachers are the original masons and the present teachers are the working masons. The disciples are like the populace, for whose protection the masons
worked.

"The masons built walls, shall we say, to define certain limits. Those limits are still there, in some cases. In other cases the boundaries have changed. The present masons fix the boundaries again. In the same way, walls were formerly built for protection of the people. The climates and winds may have changed, or the people may have changed. They look at the wall, and wonder how it may shelter them. But this old wall will not now do so.

"Consequently the present masons take the bricks and make suitable walls for the people of the time. The books are bricks. Some masons ask you to read certain books. This is their instruction, for they can show you what wall to build. Some say, 'Do not read books' because they mean, 'This is not the wall we have to build'; or even, 'We have not got to the stage of building a wall.'"

nichi

« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2008, 07:30:29 AM »
Bahaudin Naqsband said: "When a man comes to see you, remember that his behaviour and his speech are a compound. He has not come to buy, to sell, to convince you, to give or to gain comfort, to understand or make you understand. He has almost invariably come to do or try to do all of these things and many more.

"Like the skins of an onion, he will peel off one depth after another. Finally, you will find, by what he says, what he is inwardly perceiving of you.

"When this time arrives, you will completely ignore the apparent substance and significance of his speech or actions, because you will be perceiving the reality beyond.

"Note well that the other individual, while he does this, is almost always totally unaware that he is talking the language of 'the heart' (direct communication) . He may imagine that there is a scholarly, cultural or other reason for his behaviour.

"This is the way in which the Sufi reads minds which cannot read themselves. In addition, the Sufi knows how competent at real understanding the other person is, how much he really knows--ignoring what he thinks he knows--and how much he really can progress.

"This is a major purpose of sohbat (human companionship)."

nichi

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2008, 01:30:22 AM »
An idiot may be the name given to the ordinary man, who consistently misinterprets what happens to him, what he does, or what is brought about by others. He does this so completely plausibly that--for himself and his peers--large areas of life and thought seem logical and true.

An idiot of this kind was sent one day with a pitcher to a wise man, to collect some wine. On the way the idiot, through his own heedlessness, smashed the jar against a rock.

When he arrived at the house of the wise man, he presented him with the handle of the pitcher, and said: "So-and-so sent you this pitcher, but a horrid stone stole it from me."

Amused and wishing to test his coherence, the wise man asked: "Since the pitcher is stolen, why do you offer me the handle?"

"I am not such a fool as people say," the idiot told him, "and therefore I have brought the handle to prove my story."

nichi

« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2008, 12:54:06 AM »
The Gnat and the Elephant

Once upon a time there was a gnat. His name was Namouss, and he was known, because of his sensitivity, as Perceptive Namouss. Namouss decided, after reflection upon his state, and for good and sufficient reasons, to move house. The place he chose as eminently suitable was the ear of a certain elephant.

All that remained to do was to make the move, and quite soon Namouss had installed himself in the large and highly attractive quarters. Time passed. The gnat reared several families of gnatlets and he sent them out into the world. As the years rolled past, he knew the usual moments of tension and relaxation, the feelings of joy and sorrow, of questing and achievement which are the lot of the gnat wherever he may be found.

The elephant's ear was his home; and, as is always the case, he felt (and the feeling persisted until it became quite permanent) that there was a close connection between his life, his history, his very being and this place. The ear was so warm, so welcoming, so vast, the scene of so many experiences.

Naturally Namouss had not moved into the house without due ceremony and a regard for the proper observances of the situation. On the very first day, just before moving in, he had cried, at the top of his tiny voice, his decision. "O Elephant!"-- he had shouted-- "Know that none other than I, Namouss the Gnat, known as Perceptive Namouss, propose to make this place my abode. As it is your ear, I am giving you the customary notice of my intention."

The elephant had raised no objection.

But Namouss did not know that the elephant had not heard him at all. Neither, for that matter, had his host felt the entry (or even the presence and absence) of the gnat and his various families. Not to labour the point unduly, he had no idea that gnats were there at all.

And when the time came when Namouss the Perceptive decided, for what were to him compelling and important reasons, that he would move house again, he reflected that he must do so in accordance with established and hallowed custom. He prepared himself for the formal declaration of his abandonment of the elephant's ear.

Thus it was that, the decision finally and irrevocably taken and his words sufficiently rehearsed, Namouss shouted once more down the elephant's ear. He shouted once, and no answer came. He shouted again, and the elephant was still silent. The third time, gathering the whole strangth of his voice in his determination to register his urgent yet eloquent words, he cried: "O Elephant! Know that I, the Gnat Perceptive Namouss, propose to leave my hearth and home, to quit my residence in this ear of yours where I have dwelt for so very long. And this is for a sufficient and significant reason which I am prepared to explain to you."

Now finally the words of the gnat came to the hearing of the elephant, and the gnat-cry penetrated. As the elephant pondered the words, Namouss shouted: "What have you to say in answer to my news? What are your feelings about my departure?"

The elephant raised his great head and trumpeted a little. And this trumpeting contained the sense: "Go in peace--for in truth your going is of as much interest and significance to me as was your coming."

(Oh this made me laugh today.)

nichi

« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2008, 10:50:24 PM »
A merchant kept a bird in a cage. He was going to India, the land from which the bird came, and asked it whether he could bring anything back for it. The bird asked for its freedom, but was refused. So he asked the merchant to visit a jungle in India and announce his captivity to the free birds who were there.

The merchant did so, and no sooner had he spoken when a wild bird, just like his own, fell senseless out of a tree on to the ground. The merchant thought that this must be a relative of his own bird, and felt sad that he sould have caused this death.

When he got home, the bird asked him whether he had brought good
news from India.

"No," said the merchant, "I fear that my news is bad. One of your relations collapsed and fell at my feet when I mentioned your captivity."

As soon as these words were spoken the merchant's bird collapsed and fell to the bottom of the cage. "The news of his kinsman's death has killed him too," thought the merchant. Sorrowfully he picked up the bird and put it on the window-sill. At once the bird revived and flew to a near-by tree.

"Now you know," the bird said, "that what you thought was disaster was in fact good news for me. And how the message, the suggestion of how to behave in order to free myself, was transmitted to me through you, my captor." And he flew away, free at last.

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
  • Let us dance of freedom~
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2008, 10:54:50 PM »
 :)
Without constant complete silence meditation - samadi - we lose ourselves in the game.  MM

nichi

« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2008, 04:07:18 AM »
Khamlat Posh said: "I have never refused to make anyone a disciple.  But most people are in reality, if not in appearance, incapable of benefiting from the phase of discipleship, so that they exclude themselves in fact from its operation.

"Discipleship is a matter of method, not potentiality. All mankind may have the making of a higher man. Very few have learned how to approach the problem.

"Being a disciple is being able to learn, not wanting to learn alone. Nobody knows how to learn as a natural capacity--he must be given the ability.

"Desire to learn is not the basis for learning, but sincerity is. The basis of sincerity is straightforwardness and a liking for balance. "To want to do more than you are able, and not to accept that you are not to be answered at certain times, that is failure in discipleship.

Found on SufiMystic
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 04:13:19 AM by Nira »

nichi

« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2008, 10:59:32 PM »
Hazrat Bahaudin Naqshband     

One said: "What shall I do to be answered?"

El Shah answered: "You shall avoid those who imagine themselves to be the People of Salvation. They think that they are saved, or that they have the means to save. In reality, they are all but lost.

"These are the people, like today's Magians, Jews and Christians, who recite dramatic tales, threaten and cajole many times in succession with the same admonitions, they cry out that you must become committed to their creed.

"The result of this is an imitation, a sentimentalist. Anyone can be 'given' this spurious type of belief, and can be made to feel that it is real faith.

"But this is not the original Way of Zoroaster, of Moses, of Jesus. It is the method discovered by desperate men for the inclusion in thier ranks of large numbers. Far from being saved or made complete, such enthusiasts are set aside in a trained band for eventual dissolution: like a cloud which for a time seems to have substance, but which a puff of wind will banish to nothingness.

"But do not enter into controversy with them. They have been deceived to take the false for the true, because they preferred the easier to the harder test. They would see even an angel as the devil himself.

"It is always thus with the weak inheritors of the Real Ones. Just as lazy sons live off an orchard which their father tended, thinking themsleves clever, righteous and rightful owners, until--unpruned--it starts to fail.

"You will be answered if you seek the man who will refuse the easy method of preaching and practise as I have outlined it: a method suitable only for the breaking of horses and causing attachment to one's person, or the production of ignorant and helpless slaves."

nichi

« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2008, 09:43:42 AM »
A lone fisherman one day brought up a brass bottle, stoppered with lead, in his net. Though the appearance of the bottle was quite different from what he was used to finding in the sea, he thought it might contain something of value. Besides, he had not had a good catch, and at the worst he could sell the bottle to a brass-merchant.

The bottle was not very large. On the top was inscribed a strange symbol, the Seal of Solomon, King and Master. Inside had been imprisoned a fearsome genie: and the bottle had been cast into the sea by Solomon himself so that men should be protected from the spirit until such time as there came one who could control it, assigning it to its proper role of service to mankind.

But the fisherman knew nothing of this. All he knew was that here was something which he could investigate, which might be of profit to him. Its outside shone and it was a work of art. "Inside," he thought, "there may be diamonds."

Forgetting the adage, "Man can use only what he has learned to use," the fisherman pulled out the leaden stopper.

He inverted the bottle, but there seemed to be nothing in it, so he set it down and looked at it. Then noticed a faint wisp as of smoke, slowly becoming denser, which swirled and formed itself into the appearance of a huge and threatening being, which addressed him in a booming voice: "I am the Chief of the Jinns who know the secrets of miraculous happenings,   imprisoned by order of Solomon against whom I rebelled, and I shall destroy you!"

The fisherman was terrified, and, casting himself upon the sand, cried out: "Will you destroy him who gave you your freedom?"
"Indeed I shall," said the genie, "for rebellion is my nature, and destruction is my capacity, although I may have been rendered immobile for several thousand years."

The fisherman now saw that, far from profit from this unwelcome catch, he was likely to be annihilated for no good reason that he could fathom. He looked at the seal upon the stopper, and suddenly an idea occurred to him.

"You could never have come out of that bottle," he said, "It is too small."

"What! Do you doubt the word of the Master of the Jinn?" roared the apparition. And he dissolved himself again into wispy smoke and went back into the bottle. The fisherman took up the stopper and plugged the bottle with it. Then he threw it back, as far as he could, into the depths of the sea.

Many years passed, until one day another fisherman, grandson of the first, cast his net in the same place, and brought up the self-same bottle. He placed the bottle upon the sand and was about to open it when a thought struck him. It was the piece of advice which had been passed down to him by his father, from his father. It was: "Man can use only what he has learned to use."

And so it was that when the genie, aroused from his slumbers by movement of his metal prison, called through the brass: "Son of Adam, whoever you may be, open the stopper of this bottle and release me: for I am the Chief of the Jinns who know the secrets or miraculous happenings."

The young fisherman, remembering his ancestral adage, placed the bottle carefully in a cave and scaled the heights of a near-by cliff, seeking the cell of a wise man who lived there.  He told the story to the wise man, who said: "Your adage is perfectly true: and you have to do this thing yourself, though you must know how to do it."

"But what do I have to do?" asked the youth.

"There is something, surely, that you feel you want to do?" said the other.

"What I want to do is to release the jinn, so that he can give me miraculous knowledge: or perhaps mountains of gold, and seas made from emeralds, and all the other things which jinns can bestow."

"It has not, of course, occurred to you," said the sage, "that the jinn might not give you these things when released; or that he may give them to you and then take them away because you have no means to guard them; quite apart from what might befall you if and when you did have such things, since 'Man can use only what he has learned to use.'"

"Then what shall I do?"

"Seek from the jinn a sample of what he can offer. Seek a means of safeguarding that sample and testing it. Seek knowledge, not possessions, for possessions without knowledge are useless, and that is the cause of all our distractions. "

Now, because he was alert and reflective, the young man worked out his plan on the way back to the cave where he had left the jinn. He tapped on the bottle, and the jinn's voice answered, tinny through the metal, but still terrible: "In the name of Solomon the Mighty, upon whom be peace, release me, son of Adam!"

"I don't believe that you are who you say and that you have the powers which you claim," answered the youth.

"Don't believe me! Do you not know that I am incapable of telling a lie?" the jinn roared back.

"No, I do not," said the fisherman.

"Then how can I convince you?"

"By giving me a demonstration. Can you exercise any powers through the wall of the bottle?"

"Yes," admitted the jinn, "but I cannot release myself through these powers."

"Very well, then: give me the ability to know the truth of the problem which is on my mind."

Instantly, as the jinn exercised his strange craft, the fisherman became aware of the source of the adage handed down by his grandfather. He saw, too, the whole scene of the release of the jinn from the bottle; and he also saw how he could convey to others how to gain such capacities from the jinns. But he also realized that there was no more that he could do. And so the fisherman picked up the bottle and, like his grandfather, cast it into the ocean.

And he spent the rest of his life, not as a fisherman, but as a man who tried to explain to others the perils of "Man trying to use what he has not learned to use."

But, since few people ever came across jinns in bottles, and there was no wise man to prompt them in any case, the successors of the fisherman garbled what they called his "teachings," and mimed his descriptions. In due course they became a religion, with brazen bottles from which they sometimes drank housed in costly and well-adorned temples. And, because they respected the behavior of this fisherman, they strove to emulate his actions and his deportment in very way.

The bottle, now many centuries later, remains the holy symbol and mystery for these people. They try to love each other only because they love this fisherman; and in the place where he settled and built a humble shack they deck themselves with finery and move in elaborate rituals. The brass bottle lies at the bottom of the sea with a genie slumbering within.

nichi

« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2008, 04:36:06 AM »
A man who was very easily angered realized after many years that all his life he had been in difficulties because of this tendency.

One day he heard of a dervish deep of knowledge, whom he went to see, asking for advice. The dervish said: "Go to such-and-such a crossroads. There you will find a withered tree. Stand under it and offer water to every traveller who passes that place."

The man did as he was told. Many days passed, and he became well known as one who was following a certain discipline of charity and self-control, under the instructions of a man of real knowledge.

One day a man in a hurry turned his head away when he was offered the water, and went on walking along the road. The man who was easily angered called out to him several times: "Come, return my salutation! Have some of this water, which I provide for all travellers!"

But there was no reply.

Overcome by this behaviour, the first man forgot his discipline completely. He reached for his gun, which was hooked in the withered tree, took aim at the heedless traveller, and fired. The man fell dead.

At the very moment that the bullet entered his body, the withered tree, as if by a miracle, burst into blossom.

The man who had been killed was a murderer, on his way to commit the worse crime of his career.

There are, you see, two kinds of advisers. The first kind is the one who tells what should be done according to certain fixed principles, repeated mechanically. The other is the Man of Knowledge. Those who meet the Man of Knowledge will ask him for moralistic advice, and treat him as a moralist. But what he serves is Truth, not pious hopes.

That foxy dervish!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk