Author Topic: Jahn's JukeBox  (Read 5402 times)

Jahn

Re: Jahn's JukeBox
« Reply #585 on: January 17, 2013, 07:47:12 AM »
There is supposed to be a famous Bowie album pre-Ziggy, with a corny name, which is now considered a masterpiece.

"The Man Who Sold The World" is in my opinion the best album of Bowie before the Ziggy Stardust release.
But I suppose that you are looking for "Hunky Dory". It is a classic through and through with many good tracks.

Track one "Hunky Dory" Changes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbnJo88kuP8

track list:
Side one
 1."Changes" – 3:37
 2."Oh! You Pretty Things" – 3:12
 3."Eight Line Poem" – 2:55
 4."Life on Mars?" – 3:53
 5."Kooks" – 2:53
 6."Quicksand" – 5:08
 Side two
 1."Fill Your Heart" (Biff Rose, Paul Williams) – 3:07
 2."Andy Warhol" – 3:56
 3."Song for Bob Dylan" – 4:12
 4."Queen Bitch" – 3:18
 5."The Bewlay Brothers" – 5:22

"Andy Warhol" Live 25 years later (1996)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hSVpFQDaOI

« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 08:51:57 AM by Jahn »

Jahn

« Reply #586 on: January 17, 2013, 08:03:55 AM »
with The Black Eyed Peas (replay)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpYeekQkAdc

Jahn

« Reply #587 on: January 17, 2013, 08:36:27 AM »
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 08:41:33 AM by Jahn »

Jahn

« Reply #588 on: January 18, 2013, 07:29:29 AM »

Jahn

« Reply #589 on: January 18, 2013, 07:49:58 AM »
Yes that is one of my early favorites too!

"The Bewlay Brothers" is a song written by David Bowie in 1971 for the album Hunky Dory. The last track to be written and recorded for Hunky Dory, this ballad has been described as "probably Bowie's densest and most impenetrable song

Bowie named his publishing company in the late 1970s Bewlay Bros. Music and used the name as a pseudonym for himself, Iggy Pop and Colin Thurston as producers of Pop's 1977 album Lust for Life.

The song was performed live for the first time on BBC Radio 2 in 2002.

Jahn

« Reply #590 on: January 18, 2013, 08:32:06 AM »
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 08:41:45 AM by Jahn »

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #591 on: January 24, 2013, 09:29:26 PM »
Bowie get 66 and make a new release!

Where are we now?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWtsV50_-p4

Heard this on the radio a couple of weeks ago. There was a small discussion. They said Bowie had dropped out of the scene some years ago because he saw a new wave of music coming through, and instead of trying compete, he left the stage and settled quietly into a relationship scene.

Now he has released new material, they said they felt he had not done what he had done previously, and reinvent himself in new burst of creative identity. They seemed a little disappointed with this track, and that it reflected a giving-in of some kind.

Now having heard it twice, I have to say I love it. I am very impressed - in fact more so than with any of his earlier material. Julie was much more of a Bowie fan than I - just one of those things. But I really like this track - revealing an inner aspect that was always there, but now more focused.

They also said Bowie would never have launched his career if it wasn't for his wife back then - she was a powerful force to get him up on stage. Not sure if it's the same woman he has now.

Jahn

« Reply #592 on: January 28, 2013, 07:59:54 AM »

Now having heard it twice, I have to say I love it. I am very impressed - in fact more so than with any of his earlier material. Julie was much more of a Bowie fan than I - just one of those things. But I really like this track - revealing an inner aspect that was always there, but now more focused.

I'm glad that you like the new track. And I can only applaude when Bowie is releasing something new.

They also said Bowie would never have launched his career if it wasn't for his wife back then - she was a powerful force to get him up on stage. Not sure if it's the same woman he has now.

I do not know - let us see what the Wikipedia says:

Bowie married Mary Angela Barnett (also known as Angie Bowie) on 19 March 1970 at Bromley Register Office in Beckenham Lane, London. They had a son together, Zowie Bowie (also known as Duncan Jones, film director), and divorced on 8 February 1980 in Switzerland.[177]

In 1992 Bowie married Somali-American model Iman. They have one daughter, Alexandria Zahra Jones, born 15 August 2000.[178] The couple resides primarily in Manhattan and London.[179]

Regarding his religion, in 2005 he said "Questioning my spiritual life has always been germane to what I was writing. Always.", because he is "not quite an atheist and it bothers me."[180] In the Esquire interview "What I've Learned", he stated "I'm in awe of the universe, but I don't necessarily believe there's an intelligence or agent behind it. I do have a passion for the visual in religious rituals, though, even though they may be completely empty and bereft of substance. The incense is powerful and provocative, whether Buddhist or Catholic."[181]

Bowie has shown an interest in Buddhism since 1967. He frequently studied in London under the Tibetan Lama Chime Rinpoche before becoming a solo artist. During a 2001 interview Bowie claimed that,

"After a few months of study, he told me, 'You don't want to be Buddhist [...] You should follow music."[182]

Bowie later wrote the song 'Silly Boy Blue' and repeatedly sang Chime's name at the end of the track on his album David Bowie. Bowie also became a student of the Crazy wisdom Tulku Chögyam Trungpa.[183]

Jahn

« Reply #593 on: January 28, 2013, 08:31:03 AM »

Short Video - the longer one is indelicate.

Strange video, isn't it?

What Goes Around...Comes Around (Short Version)

Jahn

« Reply #594 on: January 28, 2013, 08:46:34 AM »

Jahn

« Reply #595 on: February 19, 2013, 06:19:54 AM »

Go Your Own Way - LIVE 2004 - Fleetwood Mac

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho0AOqK0aWI

Jahn

« Reply #596 on: February 19, 2013, 06:28:54 AM »
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 06:30:35 AM by Jahn »

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #597 on: February 22, 2013, 09:32:40 PM »
Eagles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYf4kqnAWos

(25 million views!)

Never was much into the Eagles, but that was wonderful!

Jahn

« Reply #598 on: February 24, 2013, 06:32:19 AM »
Never was much into the Eagles, but that was wonderful!

Well, that is nice to hear. I try to deliver the gems that I find, and Hotel California belongs to our collective archetype, we that listened to the Pop music of 1960 to 1980. I have no LP of the Eagles.

However, Hotel California is one chapter in de Milles book.

Jahn

« Reply #599 on: February 25, 2013, 07:13:06 AM »
We have this selection of a hit to Eurovision Song Contest going on in Sweden. One of the contributions was made by a singer/songwriter from our town. A young lady that I have been talking to, and I also know her brother Lars, a bit better - because he is of the same age as me. her name is Louise Hoffsten and their father was a famous Jazz musician with his own band.

Despite her young age Lousie suffers from MS (Multipel Sclerosis) so it is always unsure if she can do a performance. But she did deliver the other weekend and immideately got a final position in the Swedish election. And she is, and has always been, so fantastic with the harmonica.

Louise Hoffsten - Only the Dead Fish Follow The Stream [Melodifestivalen 2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWBhSPC50cY
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 07:02:20 AM by Jahn »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk