Author Topic: mexican-american  (Read 578 times)

nichi

Re: mexican-american
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2008, 11:54:56 PM »
Myself, I think it is not another matter.
It's like the anthropologist who goes in, pretending that s/he belongs there, pretending that s/he is "one" of whatever tribe, pretending that gestures s/he does not understand are friendly, when they are not. There's a presumption of understanding, and so often it seems false.

We hear this a lot in the states -- like with the african-american culture. The civil rights sympathizers in the 60's and 70's, consisting of people of color and white liberals, were eventually cautioned that unless you literally walk in the shoes of another and live that life (and not on the weekends), understanding was virtually impossible.  The pretense of understanding  became basically unacceptable, as the african americans sought to speak their own voice, without white liberal intermediary. Not to mention, the bourgeoisie white liberals were deemed the enemy, in the end.

Perhaps this is my "conditioning", then, but it came from a different stream of experience than the mainstream. It's some ingrained response of mine now to back off -- to not look too closely, to not delude myself that I have friends, to not mistake some ancient dignity of grace and hospitality as real welcome into an inner sanctum.  For the inner sanctum, I must find the members of my circle -- my soul-circle, my spiritual circle, independent of any culture except the one which develops as a function of the affiliation therein.

Meanwhile, one is a stranger in a strange land.

nichi

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2008, 12:21:20 AM »
What was true in the african-american example is also true with the mexican-american culture.
I, white, blue-eyed woman, am the conquistador, the usurper, and one must sift through the hatred there. It's part of "the culture" therein, and there's no getting around it.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 12:24:47 AM by nichi »

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2008, 12:48:34 AM »
one can be influenced by another culture without 'belonging'.

the reason I say belonging is another matter, is because I have noticed with myself and others who have walked this path of trans-cultural, that belonging is a mysterious matter. Why and how one realises that one belongs is an unpredictable process. And belonging does not mean being included in the culture's social inner world - most cultural societies have a set against full inclusion, but I see that as different to belonging.

If you ever see the film 'Shadow Warrior' (Kagemusha) by Akira Kurosawa you will see a very insightful exploration of what I am speaking of here.

The reason I say that is a different matter, is that is is not necessary to 'belong' to 'feel' a culture. Many members of cultures do not realise where their culture is - they think it is in the secret social 'understandings' that one has to be born into to comprehend, but actually it is not - it is in the obvious, the way people move, the way they build, and the flow of their world. All things which sensitive people can allow to permeate into their beings, without even understanding the language. It is a feeling, not a set of constructs and agreements.

So we, who are interested in pitting one culture against another, internally, only need sufficient exposure to feel the boundaries of our own assumptions. that is the purpose we seek - I expect people like us will never really 'belong' to any culture.

However, in the other sense of belonging, as in Kurosawa's film, we can belong without being accepted - that form of belonging is a deep feeling within us that says, I feel at home in this world. That does not mean we feel trusted by the people of that culture, it means we feel an inner relaxation immediately we enter that cultural space. This has happened to me a few times - in Australia, India, Afghanistan, Greece, and Scotland. I have been to Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia, but never had that feeling in those countries. I didn't have it in England or Ireland either - or anywhere in Europe I went to.

When I watch those clips you showed on the mexican-american, I 'felt' their cultural 'aroma'. This can't be hidden - its on display for all to see - and I was able to take that down into my psyche during the night and allow it to infuse my being.

You know, I actually find understanding the language a disability in understanding a culture - one gets caught up in tricks of the mind, instead of simply feeling.

I will admit there are levels of understanding a culture, but if you wanted to understand Australian culture, you are better to watch them on the beach, at the swimming pool and in the pub, than to listen to the drivel they speak.

What you say about the white liberals and the cultures they seek to help - yes we have that here also, but in almost all cases, it is a political issue - like trying to help in another's family fight. That is about the play of power and the endless dissatisfactions of human beings. That is not what we as warriors of freedom are concerned with.

Let me give another example. Human cultures are not the only form of cultures we are capable of 'extending' into. Animals, plants, birds and even insects are all available. the trick is to go quiet, to set aside one's own cultural stencil, and to watch carefully. You can actually feel their movements and mood in your own body - I'm sure many here already do this. Soon you begin to see the world like they do - it is a trick of our bodies, that we can absorb.

As far as human cultures, I have found the most powerful way to absorb them is to go to their homeland - it is in the land itself. That has been my realisation - the land exudes the culture. I expect in enough time, the whites in Australia will become more like the Aboriginals - we have been here only 200 years, they for over 60,000 years.

Ah, such a wonderful discussion... I could rave on for hours.

nichi

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2008, 01:11:03 AM »
The reason I say that is a different matter, is that is is not necessary to 'belong' to 'feel' a culture.

Indeed, indeed, but ... what if 'feeling' the other culture includes feeling the 'hatred' which is part of that culture -- part of its fiber, so to speak? And the hatred is directed to the "you" they assume that you are?

Naturally, you pass off the hate, as in a deft aikido evasive move, but to dismiss it as part of who that culture is .. I dunno.

I do understand what you're saying, though. Immersing one's self in another culture is a great exercise in stepping into another reality: and I value the treasures you share, for example, from your experiences of india.

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2008, 01:42:40 AM »
what if 'feeling' the other culture includes feeling the 'hatred' which is part of that culture -- part of its fiber, so to speak? And the hatred is directed to the "you" they assume that you are?

That makes it very difficult to want to extend into their culture - we tend to be at the mercy of our first encounters.

There are so many cultures, that when I find one that extends to me some dark side which is in their own stuff, I usually pass on, and leave them to it. There are plenty more.

The only time I caution with that approach is when interfacing with India - I have observed many times people perceive they are getting the rough end of the stick at first, when in fact all they are seeing is their own reflections. I don't know of any other culture that causes that negative reflection, to the degree that India does - I've seen it again and again, and so we speak of the threshold one has to pass through.

With other cultures, yes that can happen - it is in the nature of the unknown, to reflect our own insecurities and inadequacies, but Indian culture is different. This is often a topic in talks with people who have not been to India and have been to other places - they say, "Oh, that's just like in ....". But those who have travelled widely, always reply, "No, India IS different."

I tend to be one that snoops into other cultures no matter what - I love them. But I am also very quick to let them have it if I feel bruised from what they actively project at me. Indians tend to mirror - they obfuscate and delay in annoying ways, but rarely project negativity.

Cultures are so different - Indonesia has a very happy friendly face to the first time visitor. I really enjoyed that - it is obvious it is a two-faced culture, but a friendly happy front face has to be enjoyable! However I have little interest in returning - hard to say why. I think because of the lack of deeper and deeper layers. the most superficial culture I have ever encountered in the world is the White Australian culture - really there is pretty nearly absolutely nothing there. But they can be very friendly and easy going, and that's a plus. I think their best cultural characteristic is their irreverence - that part I certainly enjoy.

nichi

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2008, 01:46:17 AM »
I believe you: India IS different.

Offline Angela

• Acharya
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2008, 02:51:25 AM »
Indeed, indeed, but ... what if 'feeling' the other culture includes feeling the 'hatred' which is part of that culture -- part of its fiber, so to speak? And the hatred is directed to the "you" they assume that you are?

I lived in NYC in the early 80's.  I was in a work/study program at college and spent 4 of my study quarters in NYC.  Two of those quarters were spent at a garment manufacturer where I worked in a garment factory, in the office area, as an assistant to the designer/pattern maker.  The cutters, seamstresses, marker makers were comprised of mostly Puerto Ricans and some from the Dominican Republic.

To me NYC was a foreign country (actually, Many foreign countries), it was intriguing to watch many different cultures interact and at the same time segregate themselves from each other.

Anyway, what interested me was the "hate" issue.  It was somewhat of an attraction to a white girl from a middle american upbringing. Why did they hate "us".  I wanted to Know these people and get into their skin.  So I put myself in some of the most compromising situations, I walked the streets of Spanish Harlem at night, after taking the subway up there, to visit my Puerto Rican friend.  I also lived in a totally black neighborhood at one time (an "up and coming" neighborhood, of course ;) ) ... right next to  Bed-Sty (Bedford Stuyvesant).  When I got on the train at my subway stop, I was the only White person on the train.  I did keep my awareness high, but none of this bothered me (naivety, ignorance??), as at the time I felt safe ... that no one would bother me .... and never did. :)  I found some of the nicest people I'd ever met, and that hatred has no cultural boundaries.  I may not have been "one of them", but there was always a welcoming of sorts after they got to know me.

Btw, V ... I love the salsa clips ;) 

A
"If you stop seeing the world in terms of what you like and dislike, and saw things for what they truly are, in themselves, you would have a great deal more peace in your life..."

tangerine dream

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2008, 03:04:37 AM »
hatred has no cultural boundaries.

Love either...

kiss kiss ;)
 :-*

nichi

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2008, 01:46:40 AM »

Tamales

These are an artform, and many make them in their home and sell them on the side. They are comfort food. In S California, they are usually cooked inside the outer husks of corn, which is wrapped around the tamale and tied. (You untie them, take them out of the husk, and eat them, yum.)

The filling is usually mexican soft cheese, fresh corn, and the hottest peppers and chiles known to man --- though sometimes you see a beef filling.

nichi

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2008, 01:53:33 AM »
In general, meat is marinated differently, giving it a unique flavor which is in most of the dishes. It's called Carne Asada, and you won't find that at fast food restaurants such as taco bell.

Tis muey delicioso.

Carne Asada
From Derrick Riches,
Your Guide to Barbecues & Grilling.

This Mexican Tradition is Much More Than Just a Meal

On its most basic level, Carne Asada is a marinated and grilled steak, sliced thin and served on tortillas. This "grilled beef" can be used however you want it, in tacos, burritos or served up straight. The basic method is to marinate most any kind of beef in a lime based marinade. Grill it over a hot fire and then slice into thin strips across the grain. But there is a whole lot more to it than that.

Tradition: In Mexico and the American Southwest you will find that Carne Asada is the Mexican equivalent of Barbecue. I mean that in the party sense of the word. Traditionally a large fire pit is used to prepare this party but you can use whatever you have. Since everything is prepared over direct heat you don't need a lid or a fancy grill. The cut of beef you use doesn't need to be fancy either.

Traditionally Carne Asada is made from Skirt Steak. You want a flavorful cut that doesn't need to be tender so if you can't get Skirt Steak go with a Flank Steak or even trimmed Brisket cut into 1 inch thick "steaks". If you are planning on a big party and want to have plenty for everyone plan on about 1 pound of meat per person. Of course, if you have lots of side dishes then cut back on the meat.

MarinadeMarinating is not necessary but it will add flavor and tenderness to your meat. A good marinade for Carne Asada will have lots of lime juice, garlic, onion and black pepper. Of course other fruit juices work great as well, especially papaya which really makes meat tender since it is a source of natural tenderizers. You can add hot peppers to the marinade if you want but be careful you don't over power the meat and make it too hot to handle. Don't add salt to your marinade.

Seasoning: Ideally the meat should be cooked over a charcoal fire. Traditionally mesquite is used, or course. Wood chips in a smoker box will help, but nothing beats the authentic flavor of a real fire. When you get ready to grill you will want to have salt on hand. Use a good coarse salt and add some cumin, powdered garlic and whatever else you like to the salt. Shake it up good and keep it on hand. You want to grill over a good, hot fire. This dish cooks pretty quickly so have everything else out of the way when you start.

Grilling: Place the meat on the grill and when the juices start to rise on the surface, sprinkle with the salt. When the salt liquefies on the surface flip the meat over and repeat. This seasons the meat as it cooks. Carne Asada is supposed to be on the salty side but this doesn't mean that you need to drown the meat in salt. This sprinkling is also the reason you don't want to use a marinade with salt.

Traditionally Carne Asada is grilled to well done. Most people who didn't grow up eating this dish might find that a little hard to swallow so I usually work towards a medium. Once you have the meat grilled to perfection you will want to take it straight to a carving board. Cut the meat across the grain with a good sharp knife. The pieces should be thin strips. Keep the meat warm in a heavy pot with a lid. You don't need to add heat but you want to hold in the heat you have.

Serve with warm tortillas and whatever fixings you prefer. A good Carne Asada taco would be topped with salsa, chopped red onion, guacamole, salt and lemon juice. Now that’s a taco. If you have leftovers, make enchiladas the next day. Oh, and serve with lots of your favorite cold beverage.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 01:55:21 AM by nichi »

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2008, 08:38:37 PM »
all this food talk is great

nichi

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2008, 10:45:59 PM »
Flan

I tried this yesterday ------ yummmm. Nothing more comforting than a nice egg custard.

Pronounced with a schwa 'a'.

History of Flan

Flan is found in recipes as far back as ancient Rome. It was during Roman times that domesticated chickens were first kept for laying eggs. The Romans, with eggs in surplus, and consulting the Greek's knowledge of the art of cooking, developed new recipes, one of which turned out to be a custardly concoction known as flan. It was orignally a savory dish (not sweet, but aromatic and pleasing to the palate). The Romans concocted many dishes that we might find interesting, such as eel flan. They also had a very nice sweet flan that was flavored with honey.

The Roman Empire was destined to fall and on its ruins arose Medeival society. Yet the transition between ancient times and Medeival - though often violent - was somewhat contiguous. Flan survived barbarian invasions (and perhaps pacified a barbarian or two). It surfaced as a generally sweet dish but still based on the old idea of mixing creme and eggs to form a custard. Our word for flan actually is derived from the Latin, "flado" (meaning flat cake), which became "flaon" in Old French.

Interestingly, flan found two different outlets. In Spain it became a sweet custard generally made with caramelized sugar. The mixture of milk, eggs and sugar was cooked slowly in crocks and relished by many. Besides the Roman influence, the Moors introduced citrus and almonds which are commonly found to flavor flan. Once Christopher Columbus found America the rush to the riches of the region brought the richness of flan with it. Nearly all of Central and South America loves flan in its various custardly forms. It has become especially associated with Mexico where flan is exquisitely produced in the kitchens of rich and poor alike.

England, with its love for pastry crusts, went its own way and developed a different kind of flan. This one makes use of a pastry shell with an open top filled with custard and often mixed with nuts or fruit. This is the flan that is often mentioned in the literature of England and gets high marks in Brian Jacques's Redwall series. The characters there make and "scoff" several flans in every volume of delightful adventure.

There is some dispute about how the word "flan" is pronounced. This is easily sorted out, as the English flan is pronounced to rhyme with "plan", while the Spanish or Mexican style flan is pronounced more like "faun". With modern innovations there are now flan recipes to suit every taste, Spanish and English, savory or sweet.

Ingredients:
3/4 cup of granulated sugar
1 can of evaporated milk (12 oz.)
1 1/2 cups whole milk
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Produce 6 flan molds, any 8 oz oven-safe, smooth-sided dishes should do. This recipe can also be made in a single, larger 9-inch round flan mold. Lay these dishes out in a row. Now, place sugar in saucepan and place directly over medium heat on the stove top. Watch closely and constantly stir. The sugar will brown and turn to liquid. (Do not add water or other liquids.) Do not allow the sugar to scorch. Remove from heat and distribute the caramelized sugar equally across the bottom of the flan molds. The sugar will almost immediately harden, but once it is baked with the custard, it will liquify and remain so.

In a mixing bowl combine remaining ingredients and whisk together until the eggs are no longer recognizable as white or yoke. While mixing you may add a few tablespoons of sugar or honey to sweeten to taste. Now distribute the custard mixture in the various flan molds.

Run about an inch of water into a large roasting pan. Set on an oven rack and then place the molds within the roasting pan. (Do not allow water level to go over the side of your flan molds.) Carefully push in the rack and close the oven door. Set oven to 350 degrees F - do not preheat. Bake for one hour. Test for doneness by inserting a knife. If it comes out clean, then the custard has fully cooked. The photo above shows how the flan will appear at this stage.

When done, remove individual flans from roasting pan and place on a rack to cool. Flan can be served slightly warm or chilled in the refrigerator. To serve, run a knife around the top of the flan where it is connected to the mold. Flip over the mold onto the serving plate and then jiggle the flan loose so that it falls in one piece onto the plate. The caramelized sugar will form a sauce over the flan. There will be hard sugar remaining in the bottom of the molds, do not attempt to scrape this out to add to the sauce.

Offline daphne

• Rishi
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2008, 05:44:45 AM »
Here we call it Creme Caramel. It is very yumm!!

"The compulsion to possess and hold on to things is not unique. Everyone who wants to follow the warrior's path has to rid himself of this fixation in order not to focus our dreaming body on the weak face of the second attention." - The Eagle's Gift

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2008, 07:56:54 AM »
low-fat?

nichi

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2008, 08:23:42 AM »
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 09:26:26 AM by nichi »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk