Author Topic: WE'RE STUFFED!!!  (Read 30394 times)

Offline Muffin

• Pir
  • Keep the beast in my nature under ceaseless attack
    • Sensorium Dei
Re: WE'RE STUFFED!!!
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2006, 05:17:06 PM »
Good.
Now start punching you too.  ;)
"The result of the manifestation is in exact proportion to the force of striving received from the shock." -Gurdjieff, Belzebub's Tales to his grandson

www.sensoriumdei.org

Offline TIOTIT

• Yogi
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2006, 12:07:55 AM »
"Our global furnace is out of control. By 2020, 2025, you will be able to sail a sailboat to the North Pole. The Amazon will become a desert, and the forests of Siberia will burn and release more methane and plagues will return."

Within the next decade or two, Lovelock forecasts, Gaia will hike her thermostat by at least 10 degrees. Earth, he predicts, will be hotter than at any time since the Eocene Age 55 million years ago, when crocodiles swam in the Arctic Ocean.

"There's no realization of how quickly and irreversibly the planet is changing," Lovelock says. "Maybe 200 million people will migrate close to the Arctic and survive this. Even if we took extraordinary steps, it would take the world 1,000 years to recover

It begins with the melting of ice and snow. As the Arctic grows bare -- the Greenland ice cap is shrinking far faster than had been expected -- dark ground emerges and absorbs heat. That melts more snow and softens peat bogs, which release methane. As oceans warm, algae are dying and so absorbing less heat-causing carbon dioxide.

To the south, drought already is drying out the great tropical forests of the Amazon. "The forests will melt away just like the snow," Lovelock says.Even the northern forests, those dark cool beauties of pines and firs, suffer. They absorb heat and shelter bears, lynxes and wolves through harsh winters. But recent studies show the boreal forests are drying and dying and inducing more warming.

"People say, 'Well, you're 87, you won't live to see this,' " he says. "I have children, I have grandchildren, I wish none of this. But it's our fate; we need to recognize it's another wartime. We desperately need a Moses to take us to the Arctic and preserve civilization.

"It's too late to turn back."

« Last Edit: September 05, 2006, 12:10:06 AM by TIOTIT »

Jahn

« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2006, 12:41:52 AM »
If we shall go down we shall go down with music:

here follows some info about a film with Al Gore, former vice president of the US:
An inconvenient truth

it is hot stuff.

Video
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 01:02:20 AM by Juan Miguel »

Jahn

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2006, 12:54:28 AM »
There's a trend in the US which really blows my mind -- a whole current of folk who actually "laugh" when the words "global warming" are used.  There's a brainwash-factor there, it's totally bizarre. I don't get that at all. After the hurricane season of 2005, how could anyone really still think nothing's afoot?
Maybe it's because of my own personal ions, and nothing mystical at all, but I feel it  everywhere.

Noone should laugh - Scientist in the field are all (to 98%)  in consensus about the fact that there is a period of global climate change in the terms of warming. I checked a few scientific links that are on the Wikipeda page about the film with Al Gore.

About the film

The most convincing scientific paper on the subject regarding scientific consensus.

Saying:
This analysis shows that scientists publishing in the peer-reviewed literature agree with IPCC, the National Academy of Sciences, and the public statements of their professional societies. Politicians, economists, journalists, and others may have the impression of confusion, disagreement, or discord among climate scientists, but that impression is incorrect.

A meta analysis of studies concerning global warming

« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 12:59:11 AM by Juan Miguel »

niamhspark

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2006, 01:41:21 AM »
I haven't been able to see it yet because it's only playing in limited theatres, so its not out here in my area. I'll probably have to wait for the DVD, but I'm probably going to buy it. I did get to see the trailer in the theatres and I was in awe.

Al Gore, no matter what folks think of him, has been very passionate about global warming from the get-go. It's not about politics but a conviction for him, he believes in it. I think people have been recognizing that, and there's scientists who are giving him kudos on the film even. I can hardly wait to see the whole thing. This is probably one of the most important films which has come out in a long time. I'm glad to see people are finally paying attention and not buying the old political hype that global warming wasn't a real threat. After Katrina hit, people began to really take notice, who originally didn't believe.

Like Hybrid cars. I'm seeing more of them now on the street. I'd get one if I could afford it. I'm hoping they'll be made more affordable eventually so I can have one and save. I've always said I don't believe the hype that an electric or solar vehicle wouldn't work, or have to be too expensive; it's a conspiracy because the oil companies have so much power in the globe, and they're not prepared to lose several billion dollars a year because consumers don't fill fuel tanks anymore. Its gonna take people saying "no more of this -- planet is more important" for folks to make the changes. Hybrids are a start at least. But people need to make changes to stop flowering up the planet, and put a halt on these companies who don't care who love the money more than the planet.

Offline Muffin

• Pir
    • Sensorium Dei
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2006, 03:11:29 AM »
There are parts of the wrld where you don't have to be a scientist to be able to tell that something's wrong.
My grandmother had stories about 4-5 month long winters with snow levels over 2m. Stories from her childhood, from her adult life, stories spanning 50-60 years. For her the summer was the same, the winters were the same. She could rely on the secular experience and knowledge thei ancestors passed to her.
When I was a child we re-lived those stories. There was plenty of snow to play.
When I entered in highschool just 4-5 years later, we were happy when it snowed, it was an exceptional event. We were happy to enjoy once again the snow. The last year of high school we had snow for one week.
My last winter there, just 4 years later there was no snow at all. Cold, but no snow, no "frozen".

Then we just used to tell stories from the "good ol' days", joking and laughing, but only now, looking backwards I realise how drastic the change was. In less then two decades everything changed. It can't be denied.
"The result of the manifestation is in exact proportion to the force of striving received from the shock." -Gurdjieff, Belzebub's Tales to his grandson

www.sensoriumdei.org

Jahn

« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2006, 04:39:55 AM »
Al Gore, no matter what folks think of him, has been very passionate about global warming from the get-go. It's not about politics but a conviction for him, he believes in it. I think people have been recognizing that, and there's scientists who are giving him kudos on the film even. I can hardly wait to see the whole thing. This is probably one of the most important films which has come out in a long time. I'm glad to see people are finally paying attention and not buying the old political hype that global warming wasn't a real threat. After Katrina hit, people began to really take notice, who originally didn't believe.

I would like to see it too. What Al Gore has early realized and worked for during many years is that something has to be done. He was one of the leading politicians that saw that the Kyoto agreement about pollution came through - only to find out that his own country would reject it.

He is a strong man and convinced, such men can act as ringing bells and start forceful opinions.

In my ear the Earth bell ringing has been going on since early 2003. I do not need any more evidence or conviction but hard facts can be interesting, as in any case.

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2006, 08:32:11 AM »
I'm flabbergasted. That Americans have to wait for Al Gore to make 'a movie' before they find out what is happening in the world. For God's sake go and see it, but that you will have to see it, to know about what he is talking about, is a terrifying indictment of the media and culture in US and other similar countries.

In the 1980's it was reasonable to be out of the link, but since the 90's the crisis for the earth and our survival in it has made it completely irresponsible to our own life force to be uninformed. For the past 3 years the panic button has been held on constantly by the huge numbers of people who have direct knowledge of all the critical issues - environmental, political, social, and economical.

So many people I know who have woken up somewhat late, are now reading the relevant books, but really for at least 10 years this information has been available to the intelligent public in a continuous stream.

I recommend everyone here know what is happening in this world now, as we are in the final phase of our own species and the earth as we know it - not to be aware can no longer be justified by some new age spiritual snobbery. It is absolutely essential to know dispassionately what is happening in your world, as you will need to make personal decisions very soon.

I don't want to push people into nightmares and anxiety attacks, I just want you to know what is happening.

It is not that difficult - go to this site and sign up for weekly delivery. That way you will get an ongoing coverage - you can just scan the headers if you don't have time for the detail, but at least you'll have a better chance of survival.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/guardianweekly/

« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 01:33:07 PM by Michael »

Offline Nick

• Rishi
  • Life Branches.
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2006, 12:44:47 PM »
I can't remember the whole dream but someone mentioned living in California and the ground seemed to be heating up from within. Well in this dream I was on some sort of trip with people to this technological marval of a building that was shaped a lot like Badshahi Mosque (look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Badshahi_Mosque_July_1_2005_pic32_by_Ali_Imran.jpg)

But it looked totally futuristic! I mean it had the same shaped towers and all but they all looked computerized and made of metal, glass, plastic, etc. You get the idea.
Well, I was visiting this place like it was some sort of major torist attraction. I could feel the happy cheery celabration in the air, and I was impressed by the structure but I did not know what was going on. Everyone else seem to know though. So I go around exploring the place and I notice that we are walking in this sci fi bridge type thing and below the bridge I expect to see water but instead I see fire. The fire is comming in explicably from the ground. and I don't know why. Shortly after I wake up.

I had this dream while I was living in California. When I woke up that morning a near by church was on fire.

I have to admit a bit of neglence on these issues. Though I FELT very strongly something different when I was living in Cali, it kind of seemed like something would come over people at times.... I don't feel it so much here in PA but then I'm living closer to nature right now. Before I was in the middle of the city.

Also if anyone wants to keep up to date on things there is Wikinews. I love the whole wikipedia thing :)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 12:55:00 PM by Ian »
"As long as we confuse the myriad forms of the divine lila with reality, without perceiving the unity of Brahman underlying all these forms, we are under the spell of maya..."
 -Fritjof Capra, The Tao of Physics: An Exploration of the Parallels between Modern Physics and Eastern Mysticism

erik

« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2006, 01:34:58 PM »
That Americans have to wait for Al Gore to make 'a movie' before they find out what is happening in the world.

I've read a study according to which 'independent' US media gets about 80% of its information on foreign developments from government. That is especially valid in the cases of various conflicts.

nichi

« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2006, 02:36:25 PM »
US citizens have to read multiple newspapers to get any news of substance -- and I've seen even the reliable ones miss the boat.
I've seen "news shows" with a soft subliminal soundtrack of music by the US Navy Band.
I can watch the newschannels all day and get very little in depth on breaking stories. I like being able to watch the BBC news when I can ... but even they walk softly at times.

One thing I've been drafted into since these trips to California is hearing a lot of talk radio, and I'm telling you, it is the minority that believes that global warming is a reality.
"Global warming" has been sifted into a political issue, and in a way, it's unfortunate that Al Gore made his film here, because it can now be written off all the more to politics.
"Well, that's Al Gore for you," they say,

Then one listens to NationalPublicRadio, which is scorned by the right-wing for being liberal, and one can mindnumbingly go to sleep for the stories they don't cover.

A long time ago I started listening to news in a different way: with the gut, with a different ear than what is presented, and with as much intuition as possible.   For this reason, I don't give or even listen for a hard-facts presentation myself anymore. I sniff for different things ...

We've been in trouble mentally in this country since Clinton had oral sex with an aide, and details such as the stain on her dress were big news ... but the rebuking of the Kyoto Treaty a few years later was blown off. Then, of course, 9/11 happened, and that occupied our consciousness and still does. We're interested in who killed the beauty pageant child. Our mind is in the gutter.

I'm not speaking of anyone here .. I know a couple here are brilliantly informed and know the history as well for most any current event.
I'm speaking of the mass consciousness of the US.

Taimi

« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2006, 04:52:42 PM »
I've been thinking - are you afraid of death, is that what drives you? Do you think this world is a wonderful place - only there is this bad thing that in the end we have to die.
I have to say - i don't like this world, it's all so pointless, the way it's built just mostly doesn't make any sense to me whether there is war or peace or global catastrophe or what ever. So i would be glad to get away from here. But i guess there must be some reason for coming here so i just try to bare this nonsense and clean myself of the shit.

I can't get really get so emotional about the whole global catastrophe thing. I would rather think it bring somekind of action. Would be interesting to see all that.

Now call me stupid if you wish  :P

Offline Muffin

• Pir
    • Sensorium Dei
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2006, 05:02:13 PM »
Rubina, you don't have to get emotional about the whole catastrophe thing. Just be aware of it, understand that there is and it's happening.

It's just brings closer to you on individual level what is inevitable. Even if you survive the physical cataclism, you have simply won another couple of years of time. Nothing more.
The purpose, as I see, of this thread is to bring some action in us. We don't have time. We must act now. That's action.

www.sensoriumdei.org

Taimi

« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2006, 05:12:35 PM »
We don't have time. We must act now. That's action.

What have i been doing sofar then  ???  :)

I have admit - i haven't done much of the practices that are described in cc-s books or elsewhere. Most of my practicing takes place in everyday life in normal situations. And it works! Being alive is a practice. Spirit offers me exactly the situations that i need. Though of cource that doesn't have to exclude other exercises.

Offline TIOTIT

• Yogi
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2006, 05:31:36 PM »
Some more to read....

Climate Approaching Point of "No Return"
Global Warming Approaching Point of No Return, Warns Leading Climate Expert

The Independent (U.K.), Jan. 23, 2005

Global warning has already hit the danger point that international attempts to curb it are designed to avoid, according to the world's top climate watchdog.

Dr Rajendra Pachauri, the chairman of the official Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), told an international conference attended by 114 governments in Mauritius this month that he personally believes that the world has "already reached the level of dangerous concentrations of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere" and called for immediate and "very deep" cuts in the pollution if humanity is to "survive".

His comments rocked the Bush administration - which immediately tried to slap him down - not least because it put him in his post after Exxon, the major oil company most opposed to international action on global warming, complained that his predecessor was too "aggressive" on the issue.

A memorandum from Exxon to the White House in early 2001 specifically asked it to get the previous chairman, Dr Robert Watson, the chief scientist of the World Bank, "replaced at the request of the US". The Bush administration then lobbied other countries in favour of Dr Pachauri - whom the former vice-president Al Gore called the "let's drag our feet" candidate, and got him elected to replace Dr. Watson, a British-born naturalised American, who had repeatedly called for urgent action.

But this month, at a conference of Small Island Developing States on the Indian Ocean island, the new chairman, a former head of India's Tata Energy Research Institute, himself issued what top United Nations officials described as a "very courageous" challenge.

He told delegates: "Climate change is for real. We have just a small window of opportunity and it is closing rather rapidly. There is not a moment to lose."

Afterwards he told The Independent on Sunday that widespread dying of coral reefs, and rapid melting of ice in the Arctic, had driven him to the conclusion that the danger point the IPCC had been set up to avoid had already been reached.

Reefs throughout the world are perishing as the seas warm up: as water temperatures rise, they lose their colours and turn a ghostly white. Partly

as a result, up to a quarter of the world's corals have been destroyed.

And in November, a multi-year study by 300 scientists concluded that the Arctic was warming twice as fast as the rest of the world and that its ice-cap had shrunk by up to 20 per cent in the past three decades.

The ice is also 40 per cent thinner than it was in the 1970s and is expected to disappear altogether by 2070. And while Dr. Pachauri was speaking, parts of the Arctic were having a January "heatwave", with temperatures eight to nine degrees centigrade higher than normal.

He also cited alarming measurements, first reported in The Independent on Sunday, showing that levels of carbon dioxide (the main cause of global warming) have leapt abruptly over the past two years, suggesting that climate change may be accelerating out of control.

He added that, because of inertia built into the Earth's natural systems, the world was now only experiencing the result of pollution emitted in the 1960s, and much greater effects would occur as the increased pollution of later decades worked its way through. He concluded: "We are risking the ability of the human race to survive."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk