Author Topic: WE'RE STUFFED!!!  (Read 30849 times)

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
Re: WE'RE STUFFED!!!
« Reply #375 on: February 24, 2008, 11:35:26 PM »
I heard an interesting interview with a prof recently, who claimed that the environmental crises that now confront us, have shown that Democracy is incompatible with the future. If there is to be a future, Democracy has proved itself incapable of securing it. He said, most of us in the know, have known for the past 20 years that we were facing a critical species survival event, and yet it has done mostly nothing - he says Democracy is built upon Capitalism, and as such is ineffective in the face of such a crisis as we now are experiencing.

He was no fonder of the other non-democratic alternatives from the past, many of which are still with us, and who also have not responded appropriately to the enormity of the situation.

It resonates with my own thoughts - Democracy has to be financed by those who have vested interests in the status quo, and also has to be voted in by people who have no knowledge of what is beyond their own suburb and family.

A friend of mine recently visited, who didn't believe one iota in the environmental doom scenario. I asked him if he read any newspapers or listened to any radio information programs - no, he avoids all that because it's too heavy.

So this man, who is a barber in a small coastal town, who reads and listens to nothing except 60's music, believes he knows better than all the scientists of the world put together. And that is Democracy, unfortunately. He like so many similar people who have not taken the trouble to inform themselves, vote.

I don't know - I don't have a better system myself, but I do know that there are a lot of very clever people in the world who are trying to find a better system, and with some results. I have heard of numerous alternatives that could come through, but in the end, its still only humans.

Speaking of which, I always admire traffic roundabouts - there's a clever idea that works surprisingly well below a certain level of traffic. It demonstrates to me that a clever system can assist the stupidity of humanity to remain in balance.

Offline xero

• Sadhu
« Reply #376 on: February 25, 2008, 12:01:10 PM »
I just received an email from Capt. Paul Watson (he is in the Antarctic on board the Steve Irwin chasing the Japanese whalers). He was commenting on the moment he realised humanity (read:   capitalism / democracy - that power / manipulation nexus where capitalism is a kind of STD of democratic constructs) .

Anyrate, Cpt Paul tells of the moment many years ago when a dying whale looked him in the eye (his own eye being at sea level as he was in an inflatable trying to get between the Russian harpoon ship and the whale) . It was a moment that had him commit his life to acting 'intelligently'.

A large male had been harpooned with an explosive charge in his chest on returning to defend a thrashing female and her calf - both harpooned minutes before....This massive whale then rose out of the water and loomed up over the inflatable about to slam down on it ...and Paul - in the inflatable thinks ...ahhhh....my whale saving days are over. I'll let Capt. Paul describe it himself here.

The whale rose out of the water, lower jaw open and towered above me ready to fall forward and crush me. He was so close I could have reached out and wrapped my fingers around one of the six inch long teeth. His breath was hot on my face and it was then that I looked into a solitary eye and in that eye, an eye the size of my fist, I saw understanding, I saw compassion and I saw pity.

That whale understood what I was there for. Instead of coming forward to crush me, I saw his muscles move and with his dying strength I saw him fall back and begin to slide into the sea. I saw my own reflection in his eye as that infinitely wise orb disappeared beneath the waves.

And I saw pity. Not for himself or his kind but for us. We were killers without reason or passion, thinking little of the life we were extinguishing, killers devoid
of empathy, devoid of feelings.

And I thought, why were the Russians killing these whales? Primarily for spermaceti oil used for lubricating machinery under high temperatures. And one of the uniquely Human inventions that the oil was being used for was the manufacture of intercontinental nuclear ballistic missiles and that was when a realization hit me that we were insane.

We were killing great intelligent sentient feeling socially complex creatures to produce a weapon meant for the mass incineration of human beings and we were being condemned as violent eco-terrorists for opposing this depraved lunacy.

Captain Paul Watson
Master - The Steve Irwin
Master - The Farley Mowat
Founder and President of the
Sea Shepherd Conservation Society.
www.Seashepherd.org

It seems to me activism at this level is a type of stalking in a sea of petty tyrants. All power.

erik

« Reply #377 on: February 27, 2008, 07:32:02 PM »
A man cut down a tree and rejoiced. Indeed, what is holy?

Offline xero

• Sadhu
« Reply #378 on: February 27, 2008, 08:24:02 PM »
Ahhhh....to see what you saw.

A great gift.

erik

« Reply #379 on: February 27, 2008, 09:36:21 PM »
Ahhhh....to see what you saw.

A great gift.

No, it wasn't me who cut the tree (if you meant that).

Offline Shamaya

• Pir
« Reply #380 on: February 27, 2008, 11:03:16 PM »
A man cut down a tree and rejoiced. Indeed, what is holy?

Beautiful!!!

It reminds of a recent event that happened here at the house.  We had run out of firewood so decided to cut down an Ash Tree out back.  I'd say it was somewhere between 40-60 years old.  It's been a long time since I've seen a tree fall, and this one didn't want to.
A wedge was taken out of one side of the tree in the direction that we wanted it to fall - any other direction and it may have taken down a building.  Then my boyfriend went around to the other side of the tree and started cutting through it.  The blade on the chainsaw was not quite long enough to go all the way through so another cut had to be made.  Once the cut was all the way through the tree just stood there tall and strong.  We ofcourse were a bit nervous because we need a wedge and a maul that we really didn't have.  As my boyfriend went looking for something to use I stood with my eyes closed and communed with the tree.  Thanking it, asking it to give itself for our warmth.  What I saw was a tall blue light - the "heart" of the tree.  Standing strong!
Well soon a makeshift wedge and a large hammer helped in dropping the tree, and I let out a loud " TIMBER"  as she fell to the ground.
When I looked at the stump you could see the heart of the tree, a darker would about 1/2 the size of the tree in the middle of the stump.
 :D
But I can't imagine if I had seen a being like that in the tree!
The body is an instrument played by the Divine; listen to its music.
Reflect not, but respond to it with spontaneous right action in the moment.
Be the uninhibited dancer and move to the rhythm of Spirit.
© Barbara Atkinson

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #381 on: February 28, 2008, 07:53:50 AM »
A large male had been harpooned with an explosive charge in his chest on returning to defend a thrashing female and her calf - both harpooned minutes before....This massive whale then rose out of the water and loomed up over the inflatable about to slam down on it ...and Paul - in the inflatable thinks ...ahhhh....my whale saving days are over. I'll let Capt. Paul describe it himself here.

The whale rose out of the water, lower jaw open and towered above me ready to fall forward and crush me. He was so close I could have reached out and wrapped my fingers around one of the six inch long teeth. His breath was hot on my face and it was then that I looked into a solitary eye and in that eye, an eye the size of my fist, I saw understanding, I saw compassion and I saw pity.

That whale understood what I was there for. Instead of coming forward to crush me, I saw his muscles move and with his dying strength I saw him fall back and begin to slide into the sea. I saw my own reflection in his eye as that infinitely wise orb disappeared beneath the waves.

Moving stuff xero. It is curious how many people are so moved by their interactions with whales. I'm sure many here would know of the famous book, 'Gifts of Unknown Things'. They have a profound affect on us, as those who have been involved in helping beached whales always speak of.

Offline xero

• Sadhu
« Reply #382 on: February 29, 2008, 12:10:21 AM »
This is like a plot used in some B grade science fiction movie :

Doomsday Vault for World's Seeds Is Opened Under Arctic Mountain
    By Lewis Smith
    The Times Online

Wednesday 27 February 2008

Ten tonnes of seeds were deposited hundreds of feet inside a frozen mountain yesterday as part of a scheme to preserve all the world's crops.

Seeds from varieties of potatoes, barley, lettuce, aubergines, black-eyed pea, sorghum and wheat were among the first to be placed in the doomsday vault inside the Arctic circle.

A specially prepared box of rice originating from 104 countries was the first to be deposited in the vault, where it will be kept at minus 18C (minus 0.4F). Thousands more species will be added as organisers attempt to get specimens of every agricultural plant in the world.

Three chambers have been built 125 metres (400 feet) inside a mountain close to the town of Longyear-byen in Svalbard, a Norwegian island about 500 miles (800 kilometres) from the North Pole.

An opening ceremony was conducted at the Svalbard Global Seed Vault, as 100 million seeds from more than 100 countries were placed inside. The first day's deposits comprised 268,000 samples and filled 676 boxes.

The project is intended to provide a failsafe against disaster so that if a seed collection is destroyed in its natural habitat there is an alternative source of supply. Cary Fowler, executive director of the Global Crop Diversity Trust, which is behind the initiative, said that by preserving as many varieties as possible the options open to farmers, scientists and governments were maximised. "The opening of the seed vault marks a historic turning point in safeguarding the world's crop diversity," he said.

Many varieties of seed kept in the vault are no longer used commercially but it is possible that they will prove invaluable as world conditions change,.

The facility has been designed to keep seeds safely frozen for centuries and, at 130 metres up, the mountain is high enough to be safe even from catastrophic rises in sea levels. Similarly, amid the worst levels of global warming, in which the permafrost of the Arctic island would start melting, the seeds will be safe for up to 200 years.

Jens Stoltenberg, the Norwegian Prime Minister, said: "With climate change and other forces threatening the diversity of life that sustains our planet, Norway is proud to be playing a central role in creating a facility capable of protecting what are not just seeds, but the fundamental building blocks of human civilisation."

During the opening ceremony he unlocked the vault and, helped by Professor Wangari Maathai, the Nobel prize-winning environmentalist, placed the first seeds inside. Politicians and experts from around the world attended the ceremony at the vault, which is big enough to store 4.5 million samples, adding up to 2 billion seeds.

Some seeds will be viable for a millennium or more, including barley, which can last 2,000 years, wheat 1,700 years, and sorghum almost 20,000 years. Dr Maathai said: "The significant public interest in the seed vault project indicates that collectively we are changing the way we think about environmental conservation."

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
  • Let us dance of freedom~
« Reply #383 on: March 01, 2008, 10:53:52 PM »
Interesting sharing here x... the whales and the seeds.. thank you
Without constant complete silence meditation - samadi - we lose ourselves in the game.  MM

nichi

« Reply #384 on: March 11, 2008, 08:19:13 AM »
Once upon a time, in the Land of Fools, a stranger to the country found that the branch of a tree had broken and was about to destroy a dam full of water.

He seized the branch and held on to it. Soon afterwards a party of people of the Land of Fools came walking by. They said: "What are you doing with this branch?"

He answered: "How lucky you have arrived! Help me to lift this branch, for otherwise the dam will be broken, and we shall all die." They laughed and laughed. finally the wisest among them said: "Dear friends! This is a delicious moment; savor it. Not only does this man, talking about a branch, imagine that we are stupid enough to think that it has some relevance to a dam--but he imagines that by relating it to an ancient fear of ours he will make us obey him!"

And so, in paroxysms of laughter, the people of the Land of Fools went on their way.

The end of the story is exactly what you think it is.

as collected by Idries Shah

Offline TIOTIT

• Yogi
« Reply #385 on: March 11, 2008, 12:02:20 PM »
IT IS the new face of hunger. A perfect storm of food scarcity, global warming, rocketing oil prices and the world population explosion is plunging humanity into the biggest crisis of the 21st century by pushing up food prices and spreading hunger and poverty from rural areas into cities.

Millions more of the world's most vulnerable people are facing starvation as food shortages loom and crop prices spiral ever upwards.

And for the first time in history, say experts, the impact is spreading from the developing to the developed world.

More than 73 million people in 78 countries that depend on food handouts from the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) are facing reduced rations this year. The increasing scarcity of food is the biggest crisis looming for the world'', according to WFP officials.

At the same time, the UN Food and Agriculture Organisation has warned that rising prices have triggered a food crisis in 36 countries, all of which will need extra help. The threat of malnutrition is the world's forgotten problem'', says the World Bank as it demands urgent action.

The bank points out that global food prices have risen by 75% since 2000
, while wheat prices have increased by 200%. The cost of other staples such as rice and soya bean have also hit record highs, while corn is at its most expensive in 12 years.

The increasing cost of grains is also pushing up the price of meat, poultry, eggs and dairy products. And there is every likelihood prices will continue their relentless rise, according to expert predictions by the UN and developed countries.

High prices have already prompted a string of food protests around the world, with tortilla riots in Mexico, disputes over food rationing in West Bengal and protests over grain prices in Senegal, Mauritania and other parts of Africa. In Yemen, children have marched to highlight their hunger, while in London last week hundreds of pig farmers protested outside Downing Street.

If prices keep rising, more and more people around the globe will be unable to afford the food they need to stay alive, and without help they will become desperate. More food riots will flare up, governments will totter and millions could die.

Food scarcity means a big increase in the number of people going hungry,'' says the WFP's Greg Barrow. Without doubt, we are passing through a difficult period for the world's hungry poor.'' The WFP estimates it needs an additional $500 million to keep feeding the 73 million people in Africa, Asia and central America who require its help. We need extra money by the middle of 2008 so we don't have to reduce rations,'' says Barrow.

He also points out that age-old patterns of famine are changing. "We are feeding communities of people we didn't expect to feed," he explains.

As well as being rural, the profile of the new hungry poor is also urban, which is new. There is food available in the markets and shops - it's just that these people can't afford to buy it. This is the new face of hunger.'' The food shortages will also affect western industrialised nations such as Scotland, Barrow says. Scarcity means that some foods will get very expensive, or disappear from supermarkets altogether, meaning a move to seasonal, indigenous vegetables.'' Of the 36 countries named last month as currently facing a food crisis, 21 are in Africa. Lesotho and Swaziland have been afflicted by droughts, Sierra Leone lacks widespread access to food markets because of low incomes and high prices, and Ghana, Kenya and Chad among others are enduring "severe localised food insecurity".

In India last year, more than 25,000 farmers took their own lives, driven to despair by grain shortages and farming debts. "The spectre of food grain imports stares India in the face as agricultural growth plunges to an all-time low," warns India Today magazine.

The World Bank predicts global demand for food will double by 2030. This is partly because the world's population is expected to grow by three billion by 2050, but that is only one of many interlocking causes.

The rise in global temperatures caused by pollution is also beginning to disrupt food production in many countries. According to the UN, an area of fertile soil the size of Ukraine is lost every year because of drought, deforestation and climate instability.

Last year Australia experienced its worst drought for over a century, and saw its wheat crop shrink by 60%. China's grain harvest has also fallen by 10% over the past seven years.

The UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change has predicted that, over the next 100 years, a one-metre rise in sea levels would flood almost a third of the world's crop-growing land.

A recent analysis by the Conservative Party leader, David Cameron, also pinned blame for the global food crunch'' on the accelerating demand for allegedly green biofuels and the world's growing appetite for meat.

Ms a very inefficient way of utilising land to produce food, delivering far fewer calories, acre for acre, than grain. But the amount of meat eaten by the average Chinese consumer has increased from 20 kilograms a year in 1985 to over 50 kilograms today. The demand for meat from across all developing countries has doubled since 1980.

The world's grain stocks are at their lowest for 30 years, Cameron warns. "Some analysts are beginning to make some very worrying, very stark predictions. And these analysts say politicians should start to rank the issue of food security alongside energy security and even national security."

Another key driver is the soaring cost of oil, which last week topped $105 a barrel for the first time. As well as increasing transport costs, oil makes crop fertilisers more expensive.

According to the World Bank, fertiliser prices have risen 150% in the past five years. This has had a major impact on food prices, as the cost of fertiliser contributes over a quarter of the overall cost of grain production in the US, which is responsible for 40% of world grain exports.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 12:05:15 PM by TIOTIT »

nichi

« Reply #386 on: March 24, 2008, 07:26:42 PM »
'A greater hurricane now' 
Posted: March 21, 2008 

Vestiges of bayou culture disappearing in Katrina's aftermath
By Cain Burdeau -- Associated Press

GRAND BAYOU, Louisianna (AP) - When Ruby Ancar talks about her fishing village on the bayou, she says a divine hand has protected her Atakapa-Ishak kinfolk for generations.

But Grand Bayou is forsaken these days, 30 months after Hurricane Katrina washed over it and dragged one of Louisiana's last authentic outposts of bayou culture into a world defined by insurers, money lenders, building code enforcers and government auditors.

''We're facing a greater hurricane now than we did with Katrina, with the bureaucracy,'' Ancar, 60, said, gesticulating passionately and flashing a toothy grin as she glided down the bayou in a boat. ''The government - that's our hurricane right now that we're in.'' Before Katrina, Grand Bayou and its 25-odd families of Atakapa-Ishak American Indians lived in a parallel world, in concert with moon cycles and migrations of shrimp. This living museum, where there are no roads and everyone travels by boat, is facing extinction.

Post-storm government aid has been nearly nonexistent, villagers said, leaving the entire village unable to return to their homes.

''We were hanging onto that little village out there, but I think the hurricane took the last wind out of us,'' said Louis Thompson, known as ''PU.''

Thompson commanded the communal boat, a banana-yellow water taxi tied up since the storm. ''It was a school boat, medical boat, grocery boat, just about everything else boat,'' he said.

Grand Bayou's state of despair resembles that of the Lower 9th Ward, 40 miles away in New Orleans. Both are lifeless. Both are poor. Both were colorful enclaves of traditional Louisiana culture.

They are exhibits in a pattern emerging since Katrina struck on Aug. 29, 2005: the widening gap between rich and poor in rebuilding.

''The similarities have to do a lot with economic challenges. If these people were middle or upper income in general, they would have the resources to go back and build their houses,'' said Shirley Laska, a University of New Orleans sociologist.

The gap between rich and poor is plainly evident on the horizon of wind-blown marsh grass at Grand Bayou.

A mile away, the community of weekend sport fishermen and retirees at Happy Jack is bouncing back.

A recent survey showed that of Happy Jack's approximately 83 waterfront homes, only about 11 showed no sign of being rebuilt. Shaded docks, automatic boat lifts, jet skis and personal watercraft abound.

''This place is built probably better than before the storm,'' said Willie Bullock, who retired from the Navy and moved to Happy Jack with his wife. ''I love it here. This is where I was meant to be.''

Down the gravel road, Brad Schmit, a 35-year-old sun-bronzed fishing guide, was void of complaints, too. ''Business is good,'' Schmit said, ''about the same as before the storm.''

Things are so normal, it's hard to tell Katrina made landfall just 15 miles south of Schmit's busy fishing camp where stressed-out city folk come to get away. The offices, shower room, patio and boat deck are rebuilt, smell new; guides and customers lounge and talk of fish, nature and the gleaming fiberglass boats; and brand- new pickup trucks await to take everyone back to comfortable, high-tech homes in the city.

Happy Jack is growing. Excavators have prepared ground for 60 more lots that will be up for sale by the summer.

''In the last two days we've had two different parties from the Florida area telling us, 'This is where we like to fish,''' Diana Alfortish, a real estate broker for the developer, said recently.

The significance is not lost at Grand Bayou: An uncomfortable circle of outsiders and development is drawing tighter.

On a recent short-sleeves winter day, during a break in the shrimp harvest, Dwight Reyes Sr. stepped off his boat, where he's lived with his wife since Katrina wrecked their home, and surveyed the neat-and-clean silhouette of Happy Jack.

''Weekend warriors, that's all that is,'' Reyes sneered.

He turned his back, and paced back and forth through the dock yard, scattering roosters and ducks camped out in beached skiffs, heaps of rope and nets, rusting boat parts and assorted junk.

''They're people with all kinds of money and all kinds of help,'' he said, attempting to explain why Grand Bayou looks like a ghost town sinking into the marsh.

He stopped and grinned. He'd found the right aphorism. ''They've got a smile from ear to ear; we've got a frown.''

His wife, Theresa, bent-over and grim-faced, stewed seafood on a stove on the boat deck in a washed-out smock and said nothing.

''I've got fed up with trying,'' Reyes said, and sneered at the state-managed, federally funded flagship of the hurricane recovery, the Road Home program.

''Everywhere you go, they turn you down. I just got off the phone a while ago with [Road Home] telling me I need papers for this. I'm tired of faxing paper in.''

Turning reminiscent, he looked at the bayou and said he used to like to trawl its placid, moon-burnished waters for shrimp on hot, critter-noisy nights.

''Doing this here at night, it makes you sick,'' he spat out. ''You don't see a light in none of the houses. You don't see nobody outside hollering at you, asking if you're doing any good.''

Billy Nungesser, president of Plaquemines Parish, is familiar with Grand Bayou's problems.

''When I took office a year ago, nothing had been done on Grand Bayou,'' he said. ''To me, they were forgotten.''

He said Road Home wasn't equipped for people living on the margins of society, in funky wooden properties on the water with no road to reach them.

''It's hard to get their hands around the value of their property,'' Nungesser said.

Recovery officials say they haven't forgotten Grand Bayou.

''We have been out in that community really hard,'' said Gentry Bran, spokesman for ICF International, the company that oversees Road Home under a $756 million contract. ''I would challenge the concept they're not getting assistance from the Road Home.''

A sample, though, of five Road Home applicants interviewed by The Associated Press suggests money has been slow to reach Grand Bayou's 25 families. Two applicants had received grants while three others hadn't. Road Home would not disclose how much money each applicant got nor give an idea about how much money in all has gotten to Grand Bayou.

Back on the bayou, time has stopped.

Dock and home are broken and twisted. The ''Hallelujah Hotel,'' where visiting ministers stayed during revival services, is a pile of debris on the waterfront. Farther down the bayou, the Pentecostal Light Tabernacle Church is closed, its pastor gone.

''PU,'' the school boat driver, lives in a trailer in town, as do many others. Children of working age have left. They're in Texas, Oklahoma and Georgia.

Memories are all that remains, like boating across the bayou to grandma's house for Thanksgiving dinner and kitchen chatter in French patois.

Grand Bayou now counts on charity.

The Mennonite Disaster Service, a volunteer network of the Anabaptist church, has rebuilt Ancar's home and plans to build five new homes and renovate another one.

''The location of their homes, the shrimping and fishing, and their lives are bound together, woven together. We want to honor their way of life and location choice, just like anyone else in the parish,'' said Paul Unruh, a Mennonite social worker.

Unruh said building costs will be high because of post-storm requirements, such as raising homes 10 feet and tougher building standards.

Ancar thinks she can pioneer the return.

''We're going to be campers on my floor until the homes are rebuilt,'' she said. ''It doesn't take long to build a house.''

But the march back home is proving difficult for Ancar, who has not yet moved into her rebuilt home from her FEMA trailer in town.

The problem? Her budget is so tight she'll find it hard to pay a new $20 hurricane-related monthly surcharge the power company is tacking onto bills. 

Found at Indian Country Today

nichi

« Reply #387 on: April 10, 2008, 07:46:46 PM »
I had been reading a reference to the following article (or blip -- not even a proper article) when I came into a ton of other information, some of which follows. It's not really "news" to me: just a reminder that this world is insane. Don't really know what to do with the information other than to share. Has this woman been executed yet? I can't seem to find the answer, but in the end, it turns out to be so typical that it isn't a leading story. (That is really insane.)

Saudi Arabia: Muslim Courts Sentence ‘Witch’ to Death

Adrian Morgan
Saudi Arabia is busy exporting its narrow and backward version of Islam – Wahhabism- to mosques and Islamic seminaries around the world. Yet Saudi Arabia is a country where women are second class citizens, and people can be executed for witchcraft. On Friday November 2, 2007, an Egyptian pharmacist was decapitated with a sword in Riyadh after being found "guilty" of sorcery. Mustapha Ibrahim worked in Arar, a city in the north of Saudi Arabia, and was said to have tried to separate a married couple.

Ibrahim had been accused by another foreign resident of using magic to separate him from his wife. The Saudi Press Agency (SPA) then reported that "evidence" was retrieved from Mustapha Ibrahim's home. This included black magic books, a candle emblazoned with the words "to summon devils" and "foul-smelling herbs." SPA stated that Ibrahim "confessed to adultery with a woman and desecrating the Koran by placing it in the bathroom."

Mustapha Ibrahim's case was reported in April 2007, when mosque-worshippers accused him of placing copies of the Koran in washrooms, but sorcery had not then been mentioned by the Saudi media.

Though it is too late to save Mustapha Ibrahim, an illiterate woman of (apparent) Jordanian origins who is currently incarcerated in Quraiyat Prison is facing death for being a "witch." Fawza Falih was arrested in Quraiyat on May 4, 2005 by the notorious muttawa or mutaween, the religious police from the Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice (CPVPV).

These men beat her so badly during her interrogation that at one stage she had to be hospitalized. She was held by the religious police at a detention center for 35 days. This, according to Human Rights Watch, violated a 1981 royal decree which forbade the CPVPV from interrogating and detaining suspects in their centers. There are 486 CPVPV centers across the kingdom, with 10,000 religious police.

Fawza Falih was convicted in April 2006 in Quraiyat in the north of Saudi Arabia of witchcraft, even though no such official crime is said to exist in Saudi law. She was convicted by Islamic clerics acting as judges, and "testimony" was provided by "witnesses." One man claimed that he was rendered impotent by Fawzah, who had cast a spell upon him. A divorced woman said that Fawzah had cast a spell and predicted that her ex-husband would come back. This witness said the man returned to her in the month that had been predicted by the woman. She was officially convicted of "witchcraft, recourse to jinn (supernatural beings), and slaughter" of animals.

A court verdict from October 10, 2006 quoted from her "confession." It read: "I take 1,500 Riyal ($400) for each act of which I send half to the magician Abu Tal'a according to the agreement, for Abu Tal'a said to me, 'If you do not bring the money, by God, you will become possessed by jinn like dogs.' " Abu Tal'a was the man who was said to have tutored her in the skills of witchcraft.
Later, Fawzah retracted her "confession" in court, claiming that it had been extracted by force. She also claimed that as she was illiterate, she had been unaware of the contents of the confession document, which she had been made to sign with her fingerprint. The contents of the confession were never, she claims, read out to her.

An appeals court ruled that as she had retracted her confession, she could not be sentenced to death "for 'witchcraft' as a crime against God." Despite this, judges in a lower court then reversed that decision, sentencing her to death on a "discretionary" basis. This was done to better the "public interest" and to "protect the creed, souls and property of this country."

She has now exhausted all legal rights of appeal.

Human Rights Watch has issued a letter to King Abdullah bin Abd al-'Aziz Al Saud, as only he now has the power to reverse the death sentence upon the woman.

The letter states that Fawzah Falih was prevented from having her son attend her court case, even though he was named as her official legal representative. After her arrest, her family had also hired a lawyer called Abdullah al-Suhaimi. The head of the CPVPV's interrogation committee refused to let this lawyer have access to her.

This is the "justice" of Saudi Arabia, and as it was enacted by Wahhabi clerics, it also displays the barbarism and lack of human rights within Wahhabi Islam. In March 2007, Sheikh Ibrahim Al-Ghaith, president of the CPVPV said: "he commission plays a large role in capturing people who practice sorcery or delusions since these are vices which affect the faith of Muslims and cause harm to both nationals and expatriates. The commission has assigned centers in every city and town to be on the lookout for these men.

As for their fate, they are arrested and then transferred to concerned authorities. The commission also has a role in breaking magic spells, which are found in the sea. We cooperate with divers in this aspect. After the spells are found, they are then broken using recitations of the Holy Qur'an. We do not use magic to break magic spells, as this is against the teachings of Islam as mentioned by the Supreme Ulema. But we use the Qur'an as did the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him)."

Unaware of any irony, in October 2007 Saudi Arabia's "Human Rights Commission" announced that it would be lecturing Europe on its ill-treatment of Muslims and its "Islamophobia."

It seems never to have crossed the minds of these people that incidents such as this case against Fawzah Falih are issues that genuinely create Islamophobia.

http://thewomenofislam.blogspot.com/2008_02_19_archive.html

Insanity

Insanity

Insanity

Insanity

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #388 on: April 11, 2008, 11:13:36 PM »
I am coming to wonder if the Games will be cancelled. I can see the Chinese digging their heels in more and more, which will only outrage everyone else in the world more and more.

Offline TIOTIT

• Yogi
« Reply #389 on: April 25, 2008, 04:29:16 PM »
Bumper crops = higest prices??????
Oil x Subprime + Recession = KABOOMMMM!!!!

Rice prices in Thailand, the world's top exporter, have surged to $US1,000 a tonne, feeding concerns about food security as far as the United States after export curbs by governments worldwide.

The surging price of food and fuel has sparked riots in Africa and Haiti and raised fears that millions of the world's poor will struggle to feed themselves. Some analysts, however, attribute much of the surge to panic buying by both consumers and governments rather than a dire shortage of supply.

After this week's over five per cent jump, rice prices stand nearly three times higher than the start of the year. With no sign of the rally relenting, as traders expect more buyers to come into the market, government anxiety about social unrest from the soaring cost of Asia's staple will deepen.

The crisis, started with India's imposition of export curbs to protect domestic supplies last year, was felt in the United States this week, with a few major retailers saying they had started to notice signs of panic buying.

Sam's Club, a unit of retail giant Wal-Mart, said it was capping sales of 20-pound (9 kg) bulk bags of rice at four bags per customer per visit to prevent hoarding.

The previous day, rival Costco Wholesale Corp said it had seen increased demand for items such as rice and flour as customers, worried about global food shortages, stocked up.

"Everywhere you see, there is some story about food shortages and hoarding and tightness of supplies," said Neauman Coleman, an analyst and rice broker in Brinkley, Arkansas.

In Bangkok, some traders said Thai 100 per cent B grade white rice, the world's benchmark, could hit $US1,300 a tonne due to unsated demand from number-one importer the Philippines, which fell well short of filling a 500,000 tonne tender last week.

There is also a big question mark over Iran and Indonesia, two countries that normally buy as much as 1 million tonnes of Thai rice each year but which have bought nothing so far in 2008 because of the soaring prices.

Even though some analysts say the price, part of a wider global rally in crop prices, is based on jittery governments rather than fundamentals, Thailand's top exporters say the world is now set for an era of expensive food.

"Prices will remain firm for the rest of the year," Chookiat Ophaswongse, head of the Rice Exporters Association in Bangkok, told Reuters.

Rice futures on the Chicago Board of Trade climbed 2.5 per cent on Wednesday to an all-time high of $US24.85 per hundredweight.

However, grain futures tumbled four per cent to a five-month low due to expectations of a large global wheat crop in 2008.

With the northern hemisphere harvest only two months away, officials said planting had started well in Western Australia after good rains, while India said a record harvest and bulging government stocks meant no imports were needed this year.

China's top wheat-growing provinces of Henan and Shandong were also looking at a bumper winter harvest after recent rains, the Xinhua news agency said.

Brazil on Wednesday became the latest country to suspend rice exports, following in the footsteps of India and its close rival for the mantle of world number-two supplier, Vietnam.

Thailand, which accounts for nearly a third of all rice traded globally, has said repeatedly it would not impose any curbs, a stance that has earned it plaudits from the World Bank for being a "responsible international trading partner".

"Thailand has even gone the extra mile to explore additional land for rice production," James Adams, the bank's Vice President for East Asia Pacific, said in a statement.

The Asian Development Bank and free-trade advocates have criticised the export curbs as an overreaction that has distorted the market.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 12:08:30 AM by TIOTIT »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk