Author Topic: Green smoothies!  (Read 268 times)

Offline daphne

• Rishi
Green smoothies!
« on: January 11, 2009, 09:15:41 AM »
Smoothies! A great breakfast! Only one blender and a glass to clean! (and healthy too!)

1. Use a base of water or soy milk
2. One green leafy or berry (start with just a small handful and when you get used to it slowly increase until it's a few cups of leaves)
3. 2 dates (fresh) and/or a very ripe banana

Can add carob powder, organic unsweetened cocoa powder or a whey powder

Examples:
Soy milk, banana, dates, vanilla whey powder, cos lettuce,
Water, 2 dates, chocolate whey/carob, blueberries
Orange juice/orange, mango, parsley
"The compulsion to possess and hold on to things is not unique. Everyone who wants to follow the warrior's path has to rid himself of this fixation in order not to focus our dreaming body on the weak face of the second attention." - The Eagle's Gift

tangerine dream

Re: Green smoothies!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 09:19:17 AM »
Also..
to add protein to your shake for vegans, or just because it tastes great,  try hemp hearts.  Delicious, nutty and so full of protein aminos and all the right oils. 

Offline daphne

• Rishi
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 09:21:52 AM »
Also..
to add protein to your shake for vegans, or just because it tastes great,  try hemp hearts.  Delicious, nutty and so full of protein aminos and all the right oils. 

hemp hearts? what is that?
"The compulsion to possess and hold on to things is not unique. Everyone who wants to follow the warrior's path has to rid himself of this fixation in order not to focus our dreaming body on the weak face of the second attention." - The Eagle's Gift

nichi

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 09:23:46 AM »
hemp hearts? what is that?

I wondered too

tangerine dream

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 09:27:36 AM »
The little seed inside the bud of the hemp plant.  A bit like a sesame seed in flavour.  Full of all the good stuff that vegetarians do not get in their diet.    Essential fatty acids, protein, vitamins, and amino acids.

Some info here:
http://www.healing-source.com/about_HempHearts_b.htm

http://www.hemp-guide.com/hemp-hearts.html

A very Canadian product, grown all over Canada esp in manitoba and BC.

nichi

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 09:33:46 AM »
The little seed inside the bud of the hemp plant.  A bit like a sesame seed in flavour.  Full of all the good stuff that vegetarians do not get in their diet.    Essential fatty acids, protein, vitamins, and amino acids.

Some info here:
http://www.healing-source.com/about_HempHearts_b.htm

http://www.hemp-guide.com/hemp-hearts.html

A very Canadian product, grown all over Canada esp in manitoba and BC.

I never knew!

Offline daphne

• Rishi
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 09:49:37 AM »

"industrial" hemp.. I assume..?     :o   :D

tangerine dream

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 10:27:09 AM »
"industrial" hemp.. I assume..?     :o   :D

Food grade.
 ;)

Offline daphne

• Rishi
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 10:36:06 AM »
Food grade.
 ;)

Hmm.. a good addition to a green smoothie.. for it's protein value of course.. for vegetarians...  vegans too..   :D

tangerine dream

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 10:47:11 AM »
Hmm.. a good addition to a green smoothie.. for it's protein value of course.. for vegetarians...  vegans too..   :D

Hemp hearts have almost no THC content.   8)

Offline daphne

• Rishi
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 10:52:53 AM »
Hemp hearts have almost no THC content.   8)

almost, eh?  I can just imagine my telling Loren to add that to Ava's diet...   :D

PS  I followed the links you gave.. most impressive.. will send them on!

tangerine dream

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 12:15:59 PM »
almost, eh?  I can just imagine my telling Loren to add that to Ava's diet...   :D

PS  I followed the links you gave.. most impressive.. will send them on!

I've been using hemp hearts for years.  Can be used in baking, like cookies, cakes etc, sprinkled over salads, blended in shakes as mentioned or eaten by the handful, like nuts.  Great power food for hiking etc.

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 09:19:49 PM »
I once lived on banana smoothies - when I was staying at xero's place many years ago.

One smoothie I enjoy is what in India is called a Lassi - the basic mix is curd (yoghurt) and rose water. It is great to see them making it on the side of the road. In Jaipur there are famous Lassi stalls, but they exist all over the place, and in many areas they have Bang Lassis.... yum yum! wheeeeee.....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk