Author Topic: Yak  (Read 44 times)

tangerine dream

Yak
« on: January 19, 2009, 02:20:38 AM »
I've mentioned 'butter tea' or yak's milk tea, in my postings on Tibet of late.  Sounds awful, but I suppose a person becomes used to it.   Yesterday, I came upon reference to butter tea three different times on TV, which I thought was weird.   One a movie, two others were programs Jake was watching and he noticed and called me over.   I really do love it when my outer world,  TV, newspaper, radio, people on the streets or at work,  reflects what is going on with me inside at any particular moment.   Though if folks at work start talking about yaks,  I'll know something strange is going on.   :P

So here... some info on the beloved Yak.

(Other Names: 野牦牛, 野嫠(牛代女)牛, 犛牛, ヤセイヤク, Dong, Grunzochse, Yaque selvagem, Wildyak)

The yak is a peculiar kind of cattle which lives in snowy highland and has been domesticated by Tibetan for more than 2000 years. Its sturdy body has very strong adaptability to the inclement environment. In the Tibetan Genesis, it is said that, "...the yak's head, eyes, intestines, hairs, hoofs and heart finally changed into sun, moon, stars, rivers, lakes, forests and mountains". So the yak was a holy offering in various ancient governmental and religionary ceremonies, and it was once called "Holy Yak". To kill a yak, a long motet must be repeated for 300 times, otherwise the killer was going to be cursed. The yak bone which is the spirit of yak represents purity, strength and courage.

*** The yak was probably domesticated in Tibet during the first millennium B.C., and domesticated animals now occur throughout the high plateaus and mountains of Central Asia, in association with people. Yaks found in zoos are usually of the domesticated variety, which is smaller than the wild yak. There are now more than 12 million domestic yaks in the highlands of Central Asia.

*** The wild yak is supremely well adapted to the harsh highlands with its thick coat, great lung capacity, and ability to clamber nimbly over rough terrain. Even its blood cells are designed for high elevations - they are about half the size of those of cattle and are at least three times more numerous, thus increasing its blood’s capacity to carry oxygen. Its thick coat and low number of sweat glands are also efficient adaptations for conserving heat. (Schaller 1998)

*** In winter the yak survives temperatures as low as - 40 deg C (- 40 deg F).

*** Wild yak herds travel on snow in single file, carefully stepping on footprints left by the lead yak.

Domesticated yaks are kept primarily for their milk, fiber and meat, and as beasts of burden. They transport goods across mountain passes for local farmers and traders as well as for climbing and trekking expeditions. They also are used to draw ploughs. Yak dung is even burned as fuel. Yak milk is often processed to a cheese called chhurpi in Tibetan and Nepali languages, and byaslag in Mongolia. Butter made of Yaks' milk is an ingredient of the butter tea that Tibetans consume in large quantities,[7] and is also used in lamps and made into butter sculptures used in religious festivities.[8]

Often the pack animals are actually crossbreeds of the yak and Bos taurus (common domestic cattle). These are known in Tibetan as dzo or dzopkyo, and in Mongolian as khainag. Yaks grunt, and unlike cattle are not known to produce the characteristic bovine lowing sound.

Yak fibers are soft and smooth and come in several colors, including shades of gray, brown, black and white. They are about 1.2 inches long and are combed or shed from the yak and then dehaired. The result is a downy fiber that can be spun into yarn for knitting. The animals' hair is turned into ropes, rugs and various other products. Their hide is used to make shoes and bags and in the construction of coracle-like boats.

Yak as a Totem animal is said to speak of  Ancient wisdom, understanding of higher purpose,purity, strength and courage .
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 02:28:04 AM by neykhor »

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
  • Love You ALL To The Moon and Back...
    • SIR
Re: Yak
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 02:32:11 AM »
Yak is a Tibetan goat!  8)

"A warrior doesn't seek anything for his solace, nor can he possibly leave anything to chance. A warrior actually affects the outcome of events by the force of his awareness and his unbending intent." - don Juan

Jahn

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 03:44:16 AM »

They surely got a personal style. I sense much integrity from those animals.

Jahn

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 04:42:54 AM »
 I really do love it when my outer world,  TV, newspaper, radio, people on the streets or at work,  reflects what is going on with me inside at any particular moment.   Though if folks at work start talking about yaks,  I'll know something strange is going on.   :P

That is the way it goes sometimes!

nichi

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 07:01:13 AM »
I've mentioned 'butter tea' or yak's milk tea, in my postings on Tibet of late. 

I understand that it's real comfort-drink. Like hot chocolate, connotations of yummy goodness.

Yesterday, I came upon reference to butter tea three different times on TV, which I thought was weird.   One a movie, two others were programs Jake was watching and he noticed and called me over.   I really do love it when my outer world,  TV, newspaper, radio, people on the streets or at work,  reflects what is going on with me inside at any particular moment.   

I love this too!

[/quote]

Goodfellow! I bet the fur is soft... :-*

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk