Author Topic: Coffee  (Read 247 times)

tangerine dream

Coffee
« on: January 26, 2009, 08:01:01 AM »
I work in a coffee shop at the moment, a little different than cooking but it's fun anyway.  A lot of opportunity to socialize and people watch.  I find it astounding however, the amount of coffee people drink in a day, in a week, a year.  Also what's fascinating is the amount of time and money people spend on and around their coffee habits.  Now, Canada is known for coffee drinkers, we have many many coffee shops all over the place.  Nearly one on every block in some cities.   But I am curious how we compare to some of the rest of you.  I imagine America to be similar.

Coffee was first consumed in the ninth century, when it was discovered in the highlands of Ethiopia. From there, it spread to Egypt and Yemen, and by the 15th century, had reached Azerbaijan, Persia, Turkey, and northern Africa. From the Muslim world, coffee spread to Italy, then to the rest of Europe, to Indonesia, and to the Americas.

Coffee berries, which contain the coffee bean, are produced by several species of small evergreen bush of the genus Coffea. The two most commonly grown species are Coffea canephora (also known as Coffea robusta) and Coffea arabica. These are cultivated in Latin America, Southeast Asia, and Africa. Once ripe, coffee berries are picked, processed, and dried. The seeds are then roasted, undergoing several physical and chemical changes. They are roasted to varying degrees, depending on the desired flavor. They are then ground and brewed to create coffee. Coffee can be prepared and presented in a variety of ways.

Coffee has played an important role in many societies throughout modern history. In Africa and Yemen, it was used in religious ceremonies. As a result, the Ethiopian Church banned its consumption until the reign of Emperor Menelik II of Ethiopia. It was banned in Ottoman Turkey in the 17th century for political reasons, and was associated with rebellious political activities in Europe.

Coffee is an important export commodity. In 2004, coffee was the top agricultural export for 12 countries, and in 2005, it was the world's seventh-largest legal agricultural export by value.

Some controversy is associated with coffee cultivation and its impact on the environment. Many studies have examined the relationship between coffee consumption and certain medical conditions; whether the overall effects of coffee are positive or negative is still disputed.

The United States consumes one-fifth of all the world's coffee, making it the largest consumer in the world. But few Americans realize that agriculture workers in the coffee industry often toil in what can be described as "sweatshops in the fields." Many small coffee farmers receive prices for their coffee that are less than the costs of production, forcing them into a cycle of poverty and debt.

Fair Trade is a viable solution to this crisis, assuring consumers that the coffee we drink was purchased under fair conditions. To become Fair Trade certified, an importer must meet stringent international criteria; paying a minimum price per pound of $1.26, providing much needed credit to farmers, and providing technical assistance such as help transitioning to organic farming. Fair Trade for coffee farmers means community development, health, education, and environmental stewardship.

tangerine dream

Re: Coffee
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 08:04:33 AM »
81% of Canadians drink coffee occasionally and over 63% of Canadians over the age of 18 drink coffee on a daily basis making coffee the # 1 beverage choice of adult Canadians. Coffee is a more popular beverage in Canada than the United States with just 49% of Americans drinking coffee on a daily basis.

Daily coffee consumption varies across the country, from a high of 70% in Quebec to a low of just over 53% in the Atlantic region. Approximately 60% of adults in Ontario, 67% in the Prairies and 61% in B.C. drink coffee on a daily basis.

For several decades coffee has been the favourite beverage of adult Canadians, other than tap water and is more popular than tea, milk, beer, fruit juices and soft drinks.

Canadian coffee drinkers' drink an average of 2.6 cups of coffee per day. Men and women are equally likely to be coffee consumers with men drinking slightly more coffee than women.

Coffee is a morning beverage with nearly 51% of coffee consumed at breakfast, 16% in the balance of the morning, 9% at lunch, 10% in the afternoon, 8% at dinner and 7% in the evening.

Medium roast coffees dominate the breakfast market, accounting for 56% of coffee consumed at that time of day.

The majority, 66%, of coffee is consumed at home, 12% is consumed at work, 16% is consumed or purchased at eating places and 5% is consumed in other places such as hospital, schools, hockey rinks and other institutions. Drinking coffee in-transit increased from 2% in 1999 to 7% in 2003.

79% of coffee consumed at home is purchased at a grocery store/supermarket, with 7% being purchased at a gourmet/specialty coffee shop.

Approximately 9% of coffee drinkers' drink decaffeinated coffee on a regular basis.

The share of total coffee consumption accounted for by instant coffee is 17%.

One-half (50%) of adult Canadians consumed a 'specialty' coffee beverage in the past year. However, with 6% of Canadians drinking these beverages on a daily basis, specialty coffee remains an occasional purchase. Iced coffee is growing dramatically. Past year penetration of 24% compares favourably to 21% in 2001 and 14% in 1999.
32% of adult Canadians reported drinking cappuccino during the past year, compared to 38% in 1999.

One-third (32%) of adult Canadians reported drinking a flavoured coffee in the past year. This is unchanged since 1999. Flavoured coffee tends to appeal to younger Canadians with higher income and higher education.

In terms of what they put into their cup of coffee, 20% of Canadian like their coffee black, 7% with sugar only, 33% with cream or milk only and 40% like both dairy and a sweetener.

37% of coffee drinkers have an awareness of organic - up from 30% in 2001. Awareness of fairtrade coffee increased from 4% in 2001 to 11% in 2003.

The Coffee Association of Canada commissioned the Canadian Coffee Drinking Study. The results are based on telephone interviews on 2,500 Canadians 18 years and older. The data is broken down equally over the five regions of the country. For further information or to purchase copies of the report summary please contact Sandy McAlpine or Paige Entwistle at the Coffee Association of Canada at 416-510-8032.

These are the two major Canadian Coffee shops, though we do have Starbucks etc as well.

tangerine dream

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 08:05:43 AM »
After analyzing data on 126,000 people for as long as 18 years, Harvard researchers calculate that compared with not partaking in America's favorite morning drink, downing one to three cups of caffeinated coffee daily can reduce diabetes risk by single digits. But having six cups or more each day slashed men's risk by 54% and women's by 30% over java avoiders.

Though the scientists give the customary "more research is needed" before they recommend you do overtime at Starbuck's to specifically prevent diabetes, their findings are very similar to those in a less-publicized Dutch study. And perhaps more importantly, it's the latest of hundreds of studies suggesting that coffee may be something of a health food -- especially in higher amounts.

In recent decades, some 19,000 studies have been done examining coffee's impact on health. And for the most part, their results are as pleasing as a gulp of freshly brewed Breakfast Blend for the 108 million Americans who routinely enjoy this traditionally morning -- and increasingly daylong -- ritual. In practical terms, regular coffee drinkers include the majority of U.S. adults and a growing number of children.

"Overall, the research shows that coffee is far more healthful than it is harmful," says Tomas DePaulis, PhD, research scientist at Vanderbilt University's Institute for Coffee Studies, which conducts its own medical research and tracks coffee studies from around the world. "For most people, very little bad comes from drinking it, but a lot of good."

Consider this: At least six studies indicate that people who drink coffee on a regular basis are up to 80% less likely to develop Parkinson's, with three showing the more they drink, the lower the risk. Other research shows that compared to not drinking coffee, at least two cups daily can translate to a 25% reduced risk of colon cancer, an 80% drop in liver cirrhosis risk, and nearly half the risk of gallstones.

Coffee even offsets some of the damage caused by other vices, some research indicates. "People who smoke and are heavy drinkers have less heart disease and liver damage when they regularly consume large amounts of coffee compared to those who don't," says DePaulis.

There's also some evidence that coffee may help manage asthma and even control attacks when medication is unavailable, stop a headache, boost mood, and even prevent cavities.

tangerine dream

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 10:16:49 AM »
THE stimulating and refreshing action of coffee is mainly due to the presence of caffeine and a volatile oil. Caffeine belongs to the group of substances known as alkaloids, which as a class have usually a bitter taste and are only slightly soluble in water. Amongst other well-known alkaloids are cocaine, the active principle obtained from coca leaves ; morphine, codeine, and narcotine, the essential constituents of opium ; quinine and cinchonine, to which the bark of cinchona owes its properties theobromine contained in cacao. Theine, the alkaloid of tea, is practically identical with caffeine, and both are very similar to theobromine. Paraguay tea, or maté, and kola nuts contain caffeine.

The quantity of caffeine present varies greatly in different species of coffee. It is never very large in amount, slightly under 20 per cent. of the dry seeds being the highest recorded. Analyses of Arabian coffee show a range of between 0.7 and P6 per cent., whilst Liberian coffee varies from about 10 to P5 per cent. The wild Sierra Leone coffee (Coffee stenophylla) contains about P5 per cent. Four species of coffee, natives of Madagascar or of the neighbouring islands, do not contain any caffeine.

In the Chinese medical-dietary system, the green bean of coffee would be classified as an herb that regulates liver qi, which is its therapeutic route to strong energy stimulation (attributed chemically to caffeine's action on the nervous system). The green bean is of the color of the wood element (associated with liver); more important to classification, however, is the concept that when the liver qi is constrained, the entire body energy becomes depressed.

By vigorously dredging the stagnated liver qi, a strong sense of mental and physical vitality is experienced. The early use of coffee beans to regulate menstruation is consistent with the Chinese medical approach of regulating menstruation by dredging stagnant liver qi. The green coffee bean also cools the constrained liver qi. When the bean is roasted, it retains its basic medicinal properties, but transforms from a cooling herb to a warming herb. Roasting herbs is a common processing method used in China.

Coffee not only regulates the liver qi, but also purges the gallbladder. In fact, modern research in Chinese medicine suggests that most herbs that regulate liver qi have this effect on the gallbladder as an integral part of the qi-dispersing action, but some herbs have greater gallbladder purging effects than others. The liver (and gallbladder) regulating properties of coffee explain its ability to protect against formation of gallstones and its ability to alleviate constipation. This action has been attributed to chlorogenic acid and other constituents found in coffee.

When liver qi is dredged, its natural tendency is to flow upward; when the gallbladder is purged, its natural tendency is to move downward. Thus, consumption of coffee has a blended upward and downward action. Healthy individuals will experience this as a balanced action, but individuals with certain health problems may experience either an excessive upward or excessive downward reaction.

The bright red berry that encases the coffee bean signifies this herb as a treatment for the heart. Coffee has the effect of opening the orifices, it thus has the action of stimulating and focusing mental activity, something like the effect attributed to the medicinal herb acorus (shichangpu). The bitter taste of the coffee bean signifies its detoxicant qualities. Its effects are comparable to that of dandelion (pugongying), which disperses accumulations by purging the gallbladder and promotes urination (as do caffeine-containing beverages).

The coffee taste, although obviously bitter, is also partly sweet. We know this because addition of a small amount of sugar or other sweetener quickly makes the beverage sweet tasting, which does not occur with strictly bitter-tasting herbs. The sweet taste is associated in Chinese medicine with a tonic effect, particularly for the spleen. As mentioned in the Indian Materia Medica, coffee "assists assimilation and digestion." Thus, coffee can help ameliorate liver-spleen disharmony associated with liver qi stagnation and spleen weakness. On the other hand, its liver dredging effect is strong and its tonic effect is weak, so a person with severe liver qi stagnation and weakness of the spleen may have the adverse experience of released liver qi impinging on the weakly resistant spleen/stomach system, causing gastro-intestinal distress.

In sum, coffee dredges the liver to regulate the flow of liver qi, purges the gallbladder, opens the heart orifices, warms the blood circulation, detoxifies, and gently tonifies. However, while coffee dredges the liver qi, it does not necessarily smooth or soothe the liver qi. Therefore, one has to be cautious about the amount consumed and certain individuals will find the otherwise desirable effects distressing: releasing stagnated qi but not regulating its flow.

As with other Chinese herbs, coffee would best be used in combination with herbs to moderate and enhance its effects. As an example, peony root (baishao) is often used to "soften" the liver, and smooth the flow of qi. Because coffee is consumed as a flavorful beverage, to pursue such an approach would best be done by having additional herbs taken in a form that wouldn't alter the taste of the coffee, such as in pills. Excessive amounts of coffee will agitate the liver yang and even stimulate internal wind. Prolonged use of excessive amounts could thereby damage the blood, but for moderate amounts it serves as a valuable therapy for stagnated liver qi, with constricted circulation of blood, and constrained gallbladder function, with constricted elimination of damp and heat.

What I find most interesting about the near excessive consumption of coffee, at least in Canada is the tendency to add large, sometimes horrifying amounts of refined white sugar to the drink.   What I beleive to be a decent,  good for you drink, seems to get polluted with the addition of this white poison.   So, drinking your Joe black or with a bit of cream, I would think would be the way to go, in moderation, of course.   ;D

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 10:48:09 PM »
I am told we in Australia have some of the best coffee in the world.
It is true that a lot of nasty stuff goes on with the growers, or rather their workers, but not sure if it is as bad as cocoa.

They have now documented the reasons for the 'anti-health' label that coffee got for a long time, and it goes back to the 'fear of stimulation' stuff that went on in the past, especially in regard to women. Funny, at the same time it was considered very bad for women to become stimulated, doctors were regularly giving orgasms to them in the surgery, as a healing technique - can't do that today.

I have heard that the US is one of the worst countries for good coffee. Apparently they all drink instant coffee, and when they do make real coffee, they shove all kinds of flavours into it, so that you never get the real taste of coffee.

I find coffee a very aggressive stimulant, and only drink it when I need a brutal boost. Tea is so much gentler and seems to me to sustain longer, but I now think that is because the 'coffee-tiredness' I get a few hours after drinking coffee, is actually more a dehydration effect - one should always drink water with coffee.

I am a black coffee man myself, with real coffee that is.

Jahn

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 03:18:36 AM »

I find coffee a very aggressive stimulant, and only drink it when I need a brutal boost. Tea is so much gentler and seems to me to sustain longer, but I now think that is because the 'coffee-tiredness' I get a few hours after drinking coffee, is actually more a dehydration effect - one should always drink water with coffee.

I agree on the aggressiv part a bit, at least regarding Swedish coffee. For me it is like speed but I love the smell of coffee and have about a half cup per day. But then, at work and restaurants, I add hot water, a little sugar (oh dear) and milk of course. I am more a tea drinker and always start the day with a cup of tea, brown raw sugar and two spoons of milk. I more or less "eat my tea" - the nose into the cup, inhaling the aroma, keeps the tea in the mouth for some seconds like when tasting a good wine.

The trendy middle class here has coffee machines in their homes where they can make espresso, cappucino etc.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 03:32:53 AM by Jamir »

Jahn

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 03:31:08 AM »
I work in a coffee shop at the moment, a little different than cooking but it's fun anyway.  A lot of opportunity to socialize and people watch.  I find it astounding however, the amount of coffee people drink in a day, in a week, a year.  Also what's fascinating is the amount of time and money people spend on and around their coffee habits.  Now, Canada is known for coffee drinkers, we have many many coffee shops all over the place.  Nearly one on every block in some cities.   But I am curious how we compare to some of the rest of you.  I imagine America to be similar.

Sweden has a long tradition of drinking coffee and I am quite sure that Sweden and Finland has the largest coffee consumption per capita in the World - but would welcome some true figures. A Coffee shop is called Kafé and those are very common here, often combined with a bakery.

At work there are two coffee breaks per day of about 15 minutes. It is common to invite friends to home for coffee. What is not so good is all the sweet bread and cookies that usually are served together.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 03:33:45 AM by Jamir »

Jahn

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 06:04:54 AM »

I found some figures about coffee consumption in some countries

kilo per capita and year
Finland 11.4
Sweden 9.2
USA 4.2
and Canada about 4 kilo per capita and year   :)
Britain 2.2
Russia 1.4

tangerine dream

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 06:17:49 AM »
I found some figures about coffee consumption in some countries

kilo per capita and year
Finland 11.4
Sweden 9.2
USA 4.2
and Canada about 4 kilo per capita and year   :)
Britain 2.2
Russia 1.4

Cool!
 8)

Online Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
  • Love You ALL To The Moon and Back...
    • SIR
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 01:54:39 PM »

Well, I have to be on decaf, or like only a cup of 'actual' coffee a day. No pot of coffee so Im doing decaf, cause I still love coffee.

I didnt do black coffee totally. However, I did what I dubbed 'truck driver coffee,' you know, "Starbucks is for Sissies - give me a real cup of coffee that will scorch my insides pump my blood." Not fake, ice-cream coffee and call that coffee. Mainly milk, a dash of sugar (no aspartame crap that is wood poison, I dont do formaldehyde in my coffee/stomach no embalming myself before I die), but 'truck driver coffee.' Made at home or 7-11 or what ever convenience store.

Im gonna miss that - my old 'anytime I want a cup of truck driver coffee.'  :'(
"A warrior doesn't seek anything for his solace, nor can he possibly leave anything to chance. A warrior actually affects the outcome of events by the force of his awareness and his unbending intent." - don Juan

tangerine dream

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 03:04:42 PM »
Can you drink Yerba?  Is it the stimulation you are to avoid or the caffeine?

Cuz a nice cup of Yerba Mate is great either in the morning as a kick start oras a pick-me-up throughout the day.  It's very good for you, too.  A little bitter, but you can buy Yerba tea blends with all sorts of Yummy flavours added to it.

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 11:40:50 PM »
Coffee Intake Associated With Decreased Stroke Risk in Women

Susan Jeffrey

February 18, 2009 — A new analysis of data from the Nurses' Health Study shows that long-term consumption of up to 4 or more cups of coffee per day was not associated with an increased risk for stroke and actually appeared to be protective against stroke in women who did not also smoke.

Among women who currently smoked, there appeared to be no effect of coffee intake, neither raising nor lowering stroke risk. No association was seen with other caffeinated drinks, including tea or soft drinks, and decaffeinated coffee still showed a trend toward a protective effect.

"Our data support the hypothesis that components in coffee other than caffeine may lower the risk for stroke, although the association was modest and the biological mechanism is unclear," the researchers, with first author Ester Lopez-Garcia, PhD, from the Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, Spain, and colleagues at the Harvard School of Public Health, in Boston, Massachusetts, conclude.

Their report was published online February 16 and will appear in the March 3 print issue of Circulation.

Studies Inconclusive

Recently reported data have suggested that coffee does not increase the risk for coronary heart disease and may be protective against type 2 diabetes, the authors write. Data on the relationship of coffee intake and stroke are "sparse," they note, and have been somewhat contradictory.

In this study, they analyzed data from the Nurses' Health Study, a prospective cohort of 83,076 women who were free of stroke, coronary heart disease, diabetes, or cancer at baseline. Coffee consumption was assessed first in 1980 and then every 2 to 4 years thereafter, with follow-up over 24 years through 2004.

Over this period, 2280 strokes occurred among the women: 1224 ischemic strokes, 426 hemorrhagic strokes, and 630 strokes of undetermined cause.

After adjustment for factors including age, smoking status, body-mass index, physical activity, alcohol intake, menopausal status, hormone therapy, aspirin use, and dietary factors, they found no increase in the risk for stroke associated with increasing coffee intake, and evidence for a protective effect for intakes of 2 or more cups per day vs less than 1 cup per month (P for trend = .003)

Relative Risk of Stroke With Increasing Coffee Intake
Coffee Intake (Cups)    Relative Risk    95% CI
< 1/month    1.0 (Referent)    —
1/month – 4/week    0.98    0.84 – 1.15
5 – 7/week    0.88    0.77 – 1.02
2 – 3/day    0.81    0.70 – 0.95
> 4/day    0.80    0.64 – 0.98

After further adjustment for high blood pressure, hypercholesterolemia, and type 2 diabetes, the inverse association remained significant, the authors noted.

Because cigarette smoking is more common in coffee drinkers and a strong confounder of stroke risk, they stratified the data by smoking status. They found that the association was stronger among never or past smokers than among current smokers, suggesting that "the potential benefit of coffee consumption cannot counterbalance the detrimental effects smoking has on health," the authors write.

Relative Risk of Stroke With Increasing Coffee Consumption by Smoking Status
Smoking Status    Relative Risk (> 4 Cups/Day vs < 1 Cup/Month)    95% CI
Never or past smokers    0.57    0.39 – 0.84
Current smokers    0.97    0.63 – 1.48

Other drinks containing caffeine, including tea and caffeinated soft drinks, were not associated with stroke, they note. Decaffeinated coffee was associated with a trend toward lower stroke risk after adjustment for consumption of caffeinated coffee (relative risk, 0.89 for 2 or more cups per day vs less than 1 per month; 95% CI, 0.73 – 1.08; P for trend = .05).

More research will be required before implications for public health and clinical practice are considered, the authors write. However, there does not at least appear to be any risk for stroke associated with coffee intake for those who already drink it.

In a news release from the American Heart Association, Dr. Lopez-Garcia noted, "Anyone with health problems that can be worsened by coffee (insomnia, anxiety, hypertension, or heart problems) should talk to their doctor about their specific risk."

The study was funded by grants from the National Institutes of Health. The authors have disclosed no relevant financial relationships.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/588403?src=mp&spon=17&uac=72171MG
Not here, not there, but everywhere - always right before your eyes.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Online Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
    • SIR
Coffee and Benefits
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2009, 04:35:52 AM »
Coffee: The New Health Food?
Plenty of health benefits are brewing in America's beloved beverage.
By Sid Kirchheimer
WebMD FeatureReviewed by Michael W. Smith, MDWant a drug that could lower your risk of diabetes, Parkinson's disease, and colon cancer? That could lift your mood and treat headaches? That could lower your risk of cavities?

If it sounds too good to be true, think again.

Coffee, the much maligned but undoubtedly beloved beverage, just made headlines for possibly cutting the risk of the latest disease epidemic, type 2 diabetes. And the real news seems to be that the more you drink, the better.

Reducing Disease Risk
After analyzing data on 126,000 people for as long as 18 years, Harvard researchers calculate that compared with not partaking in America's favorite morning drink, downing one to three cups of caffeinated coffee daily can reduce diabetes risk by single digits. But having six cups or more each day slashed men's risk by 54% and women's by 30% over java avoiders.

Though the scientists give the customary "more research is needed" before they recommend you do overtime at Starbuck's to specifically prevent diabetes, their findings are very similar to those in a less-publicized Dutch study. And perhaps more importantly, it's the latest of hundreds of studies suggesting that coffee may be something of a health food -- especially in higher amounts.

In recent decades, some 19,000 studies have been done examining coffee's impact on health. And for the most part, their results are as pleasing as a gulp of freshly brewed Breakfast Blend for the 108 million Americans who routinely enjoy this traditionally morning -- and increasingly daylong -- ritual. In practical terms, regular coffee drinkers include the majority of U.S. adults and a growing number of children.

"Overall, the research shows that coffee is far more healthful than it is harmful," says Tomas DePaulis, PhD, research scientist at Vanderbilt University's Institute for Coffee Studies, which conducts its own medical research and tracks coffee studies from around the world. "For most people, very little bad comes from drinking it, but a lot of good."

Consider this: At least six studies indicate that people who drink coffee on a regular basis are up to 80% less likely to develop Parkinson's, with three showing the more they drink, the lower the risk. Other research shows that compared to not drinking coffee, at least two cups daily can translate to a 25% reduced risk of colon cancer, an 80% drop in liver cirrhosis risk, and nearly half the risk of gallstones.

Coffee even offsets some of the damage caused by other vices, some research indicates. "People who smoke and are heavy drinkers have less heart disease and liver damage when they regularly consume large amounts of coffee compared to those who don't," says DePaulis.

There's also some evidence that coffee may help manage asthma and even control attacks when medication is unavailable, stop a headache, boost mood, and even prevent cavities.

Reducing Disease Risk continued...
Is it the caffeine? The oodles of antioxidants in coffee beans, some of which become especially potent during the roasting process? Even other mysterious properties that warrant this intensive study?

Actually, yes.

Some of coffee's reported benefits are a direct result of its higher caffeine content: An eight ounce cup of drip-brewed coffee contains about 85 mg -- about three and a half times more than the same serving of tea or cola or one ounce of chocolate.

"The evidence is very strong that regular coffee consumption reduces risk of Parkinson's disease and for that, it's directly related to caffeine," DePaulis tells WebMD. "In fact, Parkinson's drugs are now being developed that contain a derivative of caffeine based on this evidence."

Caffeine is also what helps in treating asthma and headaches. Though not widely publicized, a single dose of pain reliever such as Anacin or Excedrin contains up to 120 milligrams -- what's in a hefty mug o' Joe.

Boost to Athleticism
It's also caffeine -- and not coffee, per se -- that makes java a powerful aid in enhancing athletic endurance and performance, says physiologist and longtime coffee researcher Terry Graham, PhD, of the University of Guelph in Canada. So powerful, in fact, that until recently, caffeine in coffee or other forms was deemed a "controlled" substance by the Olympic Games Committee, meaning that it could be consumed only in small, designated amounts by competing athletes.

"What caffeine likely does is stimulate the brain and nervous system to do things differently," he tells WebMD. "That may include signaling you to ignore fatigue or recruit extra units of muscle for intense athletic performance. Caffeine may even have a direct effect on muscles themselves, causing them to produce a stronger contraction. But what's amazing about it is that unlike some performance-enhancing manipulation some athletes do that are specific for strength or sprinting or endurance, studies show that caffeine positively enhances all of these things."

How does this brew affect growing minds and bodies? Very nicely, it seems, says DePaulis. Coffee, as you probably know, makes you more alert, which can boost concentration. But claims that it improves a child's academic performance can be exaggerated. Coffee-drinking kids may do better on school tests because they're more awake, but most task-to-task lab studies suggest that coffee doesn't really improve mental performance, says DePaulis.

But it helps kids' minds in another way. "There recently was a study from Brazil finding that children who drink coffee with milk each day are less likely to have depression than other children," he tells WebMD. "In fact, no studies show that coffee in reasonable amounts is in any way harmful to children."

On the flip side, it's clear that coffee isn't for everyone. Its legendary jolt in excess doses -- that is, more than whatever your individual body can tolerate -- can increase nervousness, hand trembling, and cause rapid heartbeat. Coffee may also raise cholesterol levels in some people and may contribute to artery clogging. But most recent large studies show no significant adverse effects on most healthy people, although pregnant women, heart patients, and those at risk for osteoporosis may still be advised to limit or avoid coffee.

Reducing Disease Risk continued...
Is it the caffeine? The oodles of antioxidants in coffee beans, some of which become especially potent during the roasting process? Even other mysterious properties that warrant this intensive study?

Actually, yes.

Some of coffee's reported benefits are a direct result of its higher caffeine content: An eight ounce cup of drip-brewed coffee contains about 85 mg -- about three and a half times more than the same serving of tea or cola or one ounce of chocolate.

"The evidence is very strong that regular coffee consumption reduces risk of Parkinson's disease and for that, it's directly related to caffeine," DePaulis tells WebMD. "In fact, Parkinson's drugs are now being developed that contain a derivative of caffeine based on this evidence."

Caffeine is also what helps in treating asthma and headaches. Though not widely publicized, a single dose of pain reliever such as Anacin or Excedrin contains up to 120 milligrams -- what's in a hefty mug o' Joe.

Boost to Athleticism
It's also caffeine -- and not coffee, per se -- that makes java a powerful aid in enhancing athletic endurance and performance, says physiologist and longtime coffee researcher Terry Graham, PhD, of the University of Guelph in Canada. So powerful, in fact, that until recently, caffeine in coffee or other forms was deemed a "controlled" substance by the Olympic Games Committee, meaning that it could be consumed only in small, designated amounts by competing athletes.

"What caffeine likely does is stimulate the brain and nervous system to do things differently," he tells WebMD. "That may include signaling you to ignore fatigue or recruit extra units of muscle for intense athletic performance. Caffeine may even have a direct effect on muscles themselves, causing them to produce a stronger contraction. But what's amazing about it is that unlike some performance-enhancing manipulation some athletes do that are specific for strength or sprinting or endurance, studies show that caffeine positively enhances all of these things."

How does this brew affect growing minds and bodies? Very nicely, it seems, says DePaulis. Coffee, as you probably know, makes you more alert, which can boost concentration. But claims that it improves a child's academic performance can be exaggerated. Coffee-drinking kids may do better on school tests because they're more awake, but most task-to-task lab studies suggest that coffee doesn't really improve mental performance, says DePaulis.

But it helps kids' minds in another way. "There recently was a study from Brazil finding that children who drink coffee with milk each day are less likely to have depression than other children," he tells WebMD. "In fact, no studies show that coffee in reasonable amounts is in any way harmful to children."

On the flip side, it's clear that coffee isn't for everyone. Its legendary jolt in excess doses -- that is, more than whatever your individual body can tolerate -- can increase nervousness, hand trembling, and cause rapid heartbeat. Coffee may also raise cholesterol levels in some people and may contribute to artery clogging. But most recent large studies show no significant adverse effects on most healthy people, although pregnant women, heart patients, and those at risk for osteoporosis may still be advised to limit or avoid coffee.

"A warrior doesn't seek anything for his solace, nor can he possibly leave anything to chance. A warrior actually affects the outcome of events by the force of his awareness and his unbending intent." - don Juan

Jahn

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2009, 05:34:51 AM »
Per capita, Finnsih and Swedes are among the greates consumers of coffee in the world. It takes a lot of Swedish steel export to balance that import.  :D

« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 05:40:18 AM by Jamir »

Online Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
    • SIR
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2009, 05:39:45 AM »
Per capita, Finnsih and Swedes are among the greates consumers of coffe in the world. It takes a lot of Swedish steel export to balance that import.  :D

LOL Then I would get along with folks living therem, blend right in. Im a heavy coffee drinker. :) So im hoping that heaviness actually is contributing to my health. When you think about it, its got its own antioxidants in it, flushes everything. I know it makes me have to pee a lot lol

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk