Author Topic: Buddhist sayings  (Read 3541 times)

erik

Re: Buddhist sayings
« Reply #315 on: May 22, 2016, 07:21:19 PM »
He who tries to get out only sinks in deeper. I roll in it like a pig. I digest it and turn it into golden dust, into a brook of pure water. To fashion stars out of dog dung, that is the Great Work!

erik

« Reply #316 on: May 23, 2016, 01:23:05 PM »
Karma evaporates as soon as we see the pattern.

erik

« Reply #317 on: June 01, 2016, 04:10:04 PM »
It is in the nature of things that joy arises in a person free from remorse.

erik

« Reply #318 on: June 07, 2016, 03:34:07 PM »
Buddhist practice develops kindness and awareness in ourselves, but the path of practice can be a bumpy one-to say the least. As we discover qualities of openness and appreciation, we are also confronted with what we have always been, but have chosen to ignore. We begin to see our territoriality, our aggressiveness, our neediness, our jealousy and our obduracy. We become aware of the sides of ourselves that we find distinctly less "spiritual".

erik

« Reply #319 on: June 07, 2016, 03:40:47 PM »
Samsara is a funfair where success rewards you with an inflatable hammer that you cannot use. Samsara is a funfair where any appearance of progress is swings and roundabouts back and forth and round and round. Samsara is play perceived as reality and taken seriously.

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #320 on: June 12, 2016, 08:34:24 PM »
Buddhist practice develops kindness and awareness in ourselves, but the path of practice can be a bumpy one-to say the least. As we discover qualities of openness and appreciation, we are also confronted with what we have always been, but have chosen to ignore. We begin to see our territoriality, our aggressiveness, our neediness, our jealousy and our obduracy. We become aware of the sides of ourselves that we find distinctly less "spiritual".

Good point. Again, the focus is always back upon ourself.

Jahn

« Reply #321 on: June 14, 2016, 04:54:06 AM »

I have no aggressiveness, no jealousy, som obduracy though because I want to stop the World.
There is no spirituality, there is only Man toward the Universe that made him a new incarnation.

erik

« Reply #322 on: June 14, 2016, 03:52:18 PM »
If you mind is wandering, if your attention is not on what you're doing, if you're hang gliding in your imagination while you drive, that could certainly be very dangerous. Have you ever seen those stickers in the back of cars that say things like "I'd rather be windsurfing"? I think that the Buddhist version could run "I'd rather be precisely where I am".

Jahn

« Reply #323 on: June 15, 2016, 04:14:03 AM »
If you mind is wandering, if your attention is not on what you're doing, if you're hang gliding in your imagination while you drive, that could certainly be very dangerous. Have you ever seen those stickers in the back of cars that say things like "I'd rather be windsurfing"? I think that the Buddhist version could run "I'd rather be precisely where I am".

That is a great Quote - "I'd rather be precisely where I am"
And as that would not be enough, in my recap of yesterday and evaulating my Life today, I am precisely where I want to be, in order to take the next step forward. Never completely satisfied, but always satisfied so to speak. The Americans would say that I am a Winner, the philosophers would say that I have plenty of quality time. The spiritual, and religious people would say that I am in alignment with my Higher self.

But the Toltec Warrior would say that in my (poor) case, the command of the warrior has become the command of the Eagle.

Jahn

Buddhist sayings - Is that so!?
« Reply #324 on: June 15, 2016, 04:22:31 AM »
3. Is That So?   
The Zen master Hakuin was praised by his neighbors as one living a pure life.   

A beautiful Japanese girl whose parents owned a food store lived near him. Suddenly, without any warning her parents discovered she was with child.   This made her parents angry. She would not confess who the man was, but after much harassment at last named Hakuin.    In great anger the parents went to the master.

'Is that so?' was all he would say.   

After the child was born it was brought to Hakuin. By this time he had lost his reputation, which did not trouble him, but he took very good care of the child. He obtained milk from his neighbors and everything else the little one needed.    A year later the girl-mother could stand it no longer. She told her parents the truth - that the real father of the child was a young man who worked in the fish market.   
The mother and father of the girl at once went to Hakuin to ask his forgiveness, to apologize at length, and to get the child back again.    Hakuin was willing. In yielding the child, all he said was, 'Is that so?'

Ke-ke wan

« Reply #325 on: June 17, 2016, 04:22:45 AM »
I have no aggressiveness, no jealousy, som obduracy though because I want to stop the World.
There is no spirituality, there is only Man toward the Universe that made him a new incarnation.

I need to look up obduracy.  :)

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #326 on: June 17, 2016, 07:54:45 PM »

This has been on my mind of recent. I feel this approach is only a doorway to something else. To be dreaming of somewhere else, is off in the wrong direction. To return to where we are, is only to reset. The next step is to merge with the current moment. We have a way of returning to this moment as an isolated observer. Just before we launch off again to another distraction (which are not always distractions - but that another issue).

Once we reset to the current moment and location, we then have the option to merge with it, and not just attempt to remain attentive. Sports people know about this merging, because it is where we allow the world inside us, and us inside the world - when it works, we enter the zone of amazing empowerment. A sports-person knows when their game is off. And when they are merged into incredible capacity.

This is not just being present, it is an active relationship with the world as it presents to us now. Probably the only experience many of us have of this is when listening to music in a fully engaged way.

erik

« Reply #327 on: June 18, 2016, 12:39:51 AM »

This has been on my mind of recent. I feel this approach is only a doorway to something else. To be dreaming of somewhere else, is off in the wrong direction. To return to where we are, is only to reset. The next step is to merge with the current moment. We have a way of returning to this moment as an isolated observer. Just before we launch off again to another distraction (which are not always distractions - but that another issue).

Once we reset to the current moment and location, we then have the option to merge with it, and not just attempt to remain attentive. Sports people know about this merging, because it is where we allow the world inside us, and us inside the world - when it works, we enter the zone of amazing empowerment. A sports-person knows when their game is off. And when they are merged into incredible capacity.

This is not just being present, it is an active relationship with the world as it presents to us now. Probably the only experience many of us have of this is when listening to music in a fully engaged way.

How about intensely creative work - when we bring something over or insert something new to our physical reality?
Sometimes you get the feeling that with your actions you change the course of things.

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #328 on: June 18, 2016, 09:39:07 AM »
Yes, there are many examples, but unfortunately they are rare in our life. What I am focusing on is to make this an active engagement, not just drawn from the activity we are doing. Another example is after climbing a long hill, then resting for a moment and feeling tremendous peace and deep relationship with our surroundings.

In these moments, our barriers dissolve, the world floods into us and us into the world.

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
Re: Buddhist sayings - Is that so!?
« Reply #329 on: June 20, 2016, 12:44:16 AM »
3. Is That So?   
The Zen master Hakuin was praised by his neighbors as one living a pure life.   

A beautiful Japanese girl whose parents owned a food store lived near him. Suddenly, without any warning her parents discovered she was with child.   This made her parents angry. She would not confess who the man was, but after much harassment at last named Hakuin.    In great anger the parents went to the master.

'Is that so?' was all he would say.   

After the child was born it was brought to Hakuin. By this time he had lost his reputation, which did not trouble him, but he took very good care of the child. He obtained milk from his neighbors and everything else the little one needed.    A year later the girl-mother could stand it no longer. She told her parents the truth - that the real father of the child was a young man who worked in the fish market.   
The mother and father of the girl at once went to Hakuin to ask his forgiveness, to apologize at length, and to get the child back again.    Hakuin was willing. In yielding the child, all he said was, 'Is that so?'

I have pondered over this story for most of my adult life. I can't say, after all this time, that I agree with it in practice, but I do agree in principle.

The philosophy behind this is very Daoist. Accept the world - flow in with the in-current and out with the out-current. Don't try to change the world, you will only spoil it. I know there are other sentiments in this story, but the general principle is one of acceptance of fate.

We just watched the doco on those Canadian teachers who have been imprisoned in Indonesia for sodomising children. The local cleaners also received long prison sentences. Whenever I have been in a situation that fairly or unfairly turned against me, I have fought back with everything I have. I don't let the world have its way. And yet, this is only on the outside.

I am a believer in the the two sides approach. One side is restless and constantly striving to improve my situation, be it work, health or environment. Currently I am struggling to get some window painting done while it is raining, and the paint streaks off. I should just let it be, and wait for a dry day, but I want to finish this, and the extra woodwork, to put up plastic covering on the windows before the next cold weather arrived on Friday. And yet, when I think about it carefully, I realise I don't actually care - it's having an activity that I love to throw myself into that matters. What the activity is, seems irrelevant.

The other side doesn't care very much. It is happy to sit and watch the world pass by, in whatever struggling situation I find myself in. That is the underlying principle, to which I agree with Hakuin. I'm really just filling in time until my life comes to an end.

The problem with this approach, is that on one side I avoid responsibility for serious things that are happening in the world. While on the other side I treat it all as a game, a hobby, which again avoids the seriousness of the world. Where is that part which accepts responsibility? Acknowledges that things do matter? How we act, how we keep abreast with the important matters of our time, where peoples lives are affected, and the environment is being destroyed?

My only answer, is that ultimately I am not responsible. I am responsible within certain limits, certain boundaries of time and energy. But beyond that, I have to retain my ticket to freedom - I have to be able to leave all this behind. No matter what level of burden I shoulder for myself and others, there is a point passed which I accept the world, and pass on.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk