Author Topic: Buddhist sayings  (Read 3510 times)

erik

Re: Buddhist sayings
« Reply #360 on: September 19, 2016, 01:47:35 PM »
In addition the beginning of the quote says "In our practice of kindness." kindness. Compassion. We meditate on these things. I once had a friend who was suffering badly. Its like I saw him on a train track with a train coming. I would try to push him off the track. But he did not see the train. He only felt me pushing. We sometimes must know our limitations in such situations. Sometimes we must step back regardless to what we see.

It is sad that you did not answer my question about your motivation. You used to have that incredibly powerful sense of honesty. But never mind.
Nice posts. They do show what a long way you have walked and accomplished.

Online Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
  • Love You ALL To The Moon and Back...
    • SIR
« Reply #361 on: September 19, 2016, 02:28:08 PM »
Eric I know that issue. I will be frank. I called you out on that quote. When we post quotes, we believe in what they say. And you have posted many Buddhist quotes. I feel you do believe in them. The majority. However, you can be selective in your actions. You do not always act with the Buddhist heart. And perhaps that's something you need to think about. You posted a quote for a reason. There was an intent behind it. So there must be something you've done it to believe in it. So I have stated my motivation. It was clear I wanted to know if you believed in the quote you posted. That was my question in the beginning. I was very curious if you did. Or you just posted the quote to fill some space. If you believe in the quote however, then you need to have actions that follow it. Know if you are beating up on Lori on post, yet you post a quote like that, you know damn well that is contrary to what the quote says. It is against criticizing people. No don't get me wrong. Sometimes we gotta give a little bit of constructive criticism. Keyword is constructive. But we do it to help another person. To maybe help them get on the right path. Maybe see that they have a little bit of error in their ways. We can do that. But like the quote says comma with kindness. You are really reaching when you are acting like I have fallen from Grace, because I am disagreeing with you on something. That is ridiculous. I am not always going to agree with everyone in here. There are times I don't agree with Lori. There are times I don't agree with people. But that does not mean that I can not have a respect for them while I disagree with them. You need to think about that word respect. And you need to think that if you are going to practice the Buddhist principles, you cannot just be selected when you want to be. You cannot just pick and choose when to be kind, and want to be a jackass. There is no jackass in Buddhism. You know that. This is a path that does not squash a spider. This is a path which extends kindness and compassion to all sentient beings. You have read enough of this to know this. You can be angry with me that I called you on something. Go ahead. But then maybe you should be angry with Buddhism to. Because Buddhism is also calling you out on it. The whole path is contrary to the actions you would exhibit when you attack Lori in Soma.
"A warrior doesn't seek anything for his solace, nor can he possibly leave anything to chance. A warrior actually affects the outcome of events by the force of his awareness and his unbending intent." - don Juan

erik

« Reply #362 on: September 19, 2016, 03:43:51 PM »
So you are trying to persuade me that I am getting things wrong. You suggest I do, I say I am not.
Now what?

Right. So I might be even getting the motivations right, but I still behave in a wrong way. Anti-Buddhist way.
It would not make much sense to argue that the interpretation of kindness you outlined is not the only one among 400 million Buddhists, would it?
In essence, it all boils down to the statement that I am meting out abuse or at least addressing issues in the wrong way.
Fair enough, it is said loud and clear, and I can live with that.

Online Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
    • SIR
« Reply #363 on: September 19, 2016, 04:35:29 PM »
Eric do not get me wrong. I don't think you're totally contrary to Buddhism. Only your actions towards Lori. But I see your intent when you post Buddhist quotes. I believe you really believe in what they say. And you know I posted a lot of quotes to. I think I'm a moderator on this post. But that's one of the great things about what Buddha said, or the Dalai Lama said, or other great Buddhist writers. They get us to look within ourselves to see our heart. That is what Buddhism has done for me. Like I posted a little bit about I've been doing intuitive readings for other people. And there are some people who are choosing the wrong road. Like I had a young girl who was so much in love with some guy who is not good for her today. There's one point in me who wants to shake her and to make her wake up. But that is not what a good reader does. I have compassion for people. Spirit has given me an ability to read others. And I'm very good at it. But Spirit knows I have compassion for others. And I am sensitive what is going on in their life. I would not have been given this ability to do what I do if I was a bad person. If I would beat up on people. I have been trusted with a gift. I strongly believe that. I see your post and I totally believe that you believe in Buddhism. I have no doubt in my mind you see the wisdom in it. It's just we must grow from the wisdom that we learned in how we treat others. That is so important. And that is a lesson that I have learned on the path along the way. I wasn't always nice to people. You know I was a fighter. And there may be times that once in a while that may rear its ugly head. But I'm much different than I was before. I have learned many lessons along the way. The only thing I am saying is look at that quote. You posted it. So you saw something in it. I see something in it too. It is very wise. I do feel you could be great. I could see you being compassionate and wise. Just don't beat up on people all the time. Try to see their heart. Try to have some empathy. You've got to learn to see the inner soul in a deeper and more profound way.
"A warrior doesn't seek anything for his solace, nor can he possibly leave anything to chance. A warrior actually affects the outcome of events by the force of his awareness and his unbending intent." - don Juan

erik

« Reply #364 on: September 19, 2016, 05:03:35 PM »
It's fine, Ellen.
I meant it when I said that you have accomplished a long road.
You walk while looking at your own heart for an advice and it is a way to go.  :)

Online Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
    • SIR
« Reply #365 on: September 19, 2016, 05:30:52 PM »
Thank you Eric. You are good people. I have worked very hard to get my life straight. It is not perfect and I have my battles everyday. Dealing with bipolar can be very difficult. But I have a joy in my life that I have never known before period being medicated and then also gaining wisdom in various ways and spiritually growing has helped me so much. It is completely change my life. I have worked very hard to get in a good place. It is not perfect. I still have my battles. I still get tired sometimes. But I have a wonderful relationship with spirit. Spirit is what gets me through the day all the time. I have a lot of faith.and I know Jahn says spirit is us. Well its kinda both. But you have grown too! You are a good stalker. You are wiser than you let on. And my psychic sense says you really care what is going on in the world. There is hope for this world. I feel that.

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #366 on: September 19, 2016, 08:40:50 PM »
It's testimony that Juhani has come a long way that he hasn't squished everyone like a bug on this thread. And I'm really uncomfortable that it seems that Ellen and Lori require of him to get down on his knees here - just as uncomfortable as I would be if he held the same requirement of Ellen and Lori.

Honestly, I don't see why all the tag-teaming has been worth it, to be able to say that he isn't perfect, that some actions contradict these quotes. Who in this forum is perfect? When has sainthood become a goal here?

« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 09:03:47 PM by Nichi »
Not here, not there, but everywhere - always right before your eyes.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Ke-ke wan

« Reply #367 on: September 19, 2016, 09:03:09 PM »
This was not tag teaming.  Nor was it intended as such.  Ellen asked a good question
Does Juhani believe what he said in the quote
And I wondered too. 

Most of this discussion has been between Juhani
And Ellen. 

You may notice I started a new thread to discuss what I found important in this piece.

You may not have noticed Juhani's attacks of me in the past few days.  Maybe that's because you expect him to squish me and he hasn't. 

I'm kind of perplexed here. 

I don't think I've done anything that would deserve getting squashed.   Ellen either. 

I honestly wish there was more open communication here
And less explaining and justifying.  It makes me tiredn

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #368 on: September 19, 2016, 09:07:11 PM »
The problem I have is with the tag-teaming you and Ellen have done -- you have pursued him across a few threads. I would be just as unhappy if he 'joined up' with someone to pursue you, or Ellen, or Jahn, or anyone.

Say what you will about Juhani, but he does stand alone and speaks for himself.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Ke-ke wan

« Reply #369 on: September 19, 2016, 09:09:44 PM »
Someone just reminded me that this is all just a distraction.
Certainly not worth getting upset about.

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #370 on: September 19, 2016, 09:58:56 PM »
This was not tag teaming.  Nor was it intended as such.  Ellen asked a good question
Does Juhani believe what he said in the quote
And I wondered too. 

Most of this discussion has been between Juhani
And Ellen. 

And what was her point? She said it herself:
The whole path is contrary to the actions you would exhibit when you attack Lori in Soma.

You may not have noticed Juhani's attacks of me in the past few days.  Maybe that's because you expect him to squish me and he hasn't. 

I'm kind of perplexed here. 

I don't think I've done anything that would deserve getting squashed.   Ellen either. 

I honestly wish there was more open communication here
And less explaining and justifying.  It makes me tiredn

There are so many machinations in here I couldn't begin to take them point by point - not without creating more and more threads to address them. And the forum has already been consumed by this drama. Let's back out of it.  Let's stop spinning the wheels. Let's drop it.

It should make you tired, Lor - because it is a waste of energy.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 12:48:18 AM by Nichi »
~Hsin Hsin Ming

erik

« Reply #371 on: September 20, 2016, 12:59:35 AM »
Jetsun Milarepa:

When I realize everything’s equality
I forget all about my close friends and my relatives
It’s OK to forget the objects of your attachment

When I realize wisdom beyond thought
I forget everything included in perceiver and perceived
It’s OK to forget these causes of happiness and pain

Beyond memory, beyond feelings
I forget all about experiences, the good ones and the bad
It’s OK to forget them, they just go up and down

When I know the three kayas are present naturally
I forget all about the deity’s generation stage practice
It’s OK to forget the Dharma made of concepts

When I realize the result’s inside of me
I forget all about the results you have to strive and strain to get
It’s OK to forget the Dharma of the relative truth

Meditating on the key instructions
I forget all other explanations and their conventional terms
It’s OK to forget the Dharma that makes you arrogant

When I realize appearances are my texts
I forget all about those big books with their letters in black
It’s OK to forget the Dharma that’s just a heavy load

erik

« Reply #372 on: September 20, 2016, 01:23:35 AM »
To cope with thoughts, try to see the waves of the sea. They are not apart from the sea.

Online Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
    • SIR
« Reply #373 on: September 20, 2016, 05:54:36 AM »
Juhani and I ended all on a good note. We came to an understanding. I never attacked him and all is fine now. There is no sense to stir it back up. Also, its important not to get an us them good guy bad guy mentality of this. I did not see Juhani as the bad guy. I just saw his way of handling things an old way not working. In past Lori used to break down which was not good. She's gotten better. Since all ended on a good note lets leave it be now. It was over last night. We don't need more discord.

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #374 on: September 20, 2016, 10:39:53 AM »
There is an old Buddhist story from China, where two men, Bob and Steve, had been acolytes together in their younger days, learning the Way at various monasteries. They were much like us in Soma, belonging to the same spirit family.

Many years later, after they had both gone separate ways to practice their path, Bob, now a wandering monk, was passing the village where he knew Steve lived. He thought to drop in and see Steve, but as he approached his front gate, Bob noticed a row of shoes lined up. Immediately recognising what this meant, disappointedly, he turned silently away and walked on down the road.

But Steve, inside with his students, saw Bob approach then walk on. Quickly he ran out and caught up with him. "Why didn't you come in Bob?" he asked, "I have been longing to see you again." Whereupon Bob replied, "If we don't challenge each other, to keep us on the Way, who will?"

Soma is a safe place, but that was never meant to mean a place of molly coddling. It is precisely because it is safe, because we are a spirit family, that we can challenge each other in Soma. Those who practice the Way need resilience, not cotton wool.

I haven't said anything about this latest spat of biffo amongst us, because you are all now perfectly capable of standing up for yourselves. Naturally there will be times in here when we challenge each other. It is an obligation - if we don't who will? In all normal families, you will find family members are far more honest and direct with each other than they would be with outsiders. It's in the family where we can speak our mind, precisely because of the underlying safety - a deeper sense of respect and love that lies beneath the surface waves.

But families can also split apart with antagonism when that deeper respect and love is not acknowledged. It's not enough to prove to yourself that another has the guts to stand up for their style, or to prove to yourself that you can withstand accusations, warranted or not, without being defeated in soul.

We also have to acknowledge each other, respect that others have their own Way and style. There is no purpose in carrying your fight beyond a mutual sphere of personal learning - there are no victories or defeats in practising the Way.

But these challenges are personal - they have to be, because spiritual growth is personal. If you feel another is straying from the Way, then it's a personal matter, and we are obligated to share our concerns, that is honest communication. But when that person responds, accepts or rejects the criticism, then the deeper relationship of personal healing has to occur. We can never be so arrogant as to assume we know what is always best for another. Once they have acknowledged our concerns, then it is their responsibility to reflect.

It is our responsibility, as a genuine practitioner or the Way, to extend our unconditional love towards our spirit brothers and sisters, regardless of whether we agree with their style of walk, because in the end, if that love isn't there, no sharing is possible.

So step up and shake hands, as some have already done. It was fine fight, and now renew your friendship in spirit.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk