Author Topic: Mount Kailash  (Read 423 times)

erik

Re: Mount Kailash
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2009, 01:37:49 AM »
Is there any interest to actually make this one physically happen at some concrete time moment?

tangerine dream

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2009, 02:00:02 AM »
Is there any interest to actually make this one physically happen at some concrete time moment?

Sadly,  only in Dreaming for me I am afraid.  Hopefully some others could make it, though.  That would be amazing!

erik

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2009, 02:01:56 AM »
Who's in for physical journey to Mt Kailash?

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2009, 02:36:02 AM »
If it had to be tomorrow or next week -- no can do.

But your proposal of a year from now opened up a possibility of a possibility. But still, I'd have to answer, "I don't know." I'm seriously looking at it, though.
Not here, not there, but everywhere - always right before your eyes.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

erik

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2009, 03:07:08 AM »
Precisely - if not at some concrete date, then when?

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2009, 03:09:25 AM »
Precisely - if not at some concrete date, then when?

Your proposal of a year from now is my only shot at it, assuming y'all don't want to project for even longer ahead in the future.
Not here, not there, but everywhere - always right before your eyes.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

tangerine dream

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2009, 03:17:45 AM »
Your proposal of a year from now is my only shot at it, assuming y'all don't want to project for even longer ahead in the future.

If I'm to do any travelling,  I'll need to wait till my kids are older and can take care of themselves. 

At which point, I plan to travel as much as I am able.   ;D

Tibet is definitely on my list!  :-*

Jahn

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2009, 03:35:33 AM »

Sounds great!
But who will pull my wheelchair with me in it and our bags?

erik

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2009, 03:44:45 AM »
Sounds great!
But who will pull my wheelchair with me in it and our bags?

No worries, me and Tiina will take you up there.

Offline Muffin

• Pir
  • Keep the beast in my nature under ceaseless attack
    • Sensorium Dei
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2009, 06:12:39 PM »
My only uncertainty is whether I can get enough holidays at my job. They are reluctant at approving more then two weeks at once.
I can always quit, though.  ::)
"The result of the manifestation is in exact proportion to the force of striving received from the shock." -Gurdjieff, Belzebub's Tales to his grandson

www.sensoriumdei.org

erik

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2009, 07:26:03 PM »
Quote from: ∞ on July 05, 2009, 06:12:39 PM
Quote from: ∞ on July 05, 2009, 06:12:39 PM
My only uncertainty is whether I can get enough holidays at my job. They are reluctant at approving more then two weeks at once. I can always quit, though.  ::)

Very cool! Let's play this one carefully and see first if such a dramatic move could be avoided.

Jahn

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2009, 01:00:42 AM »
No worries, me and Tiina will take you up there.

Well thank you!

That liberate one major obstacle of 100.

erik

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2009, 02:33:48 AM »
Well thank you!

That liberate one major obstacle of 100.

Blind man has climbed Mt Everest, you know. Men without legs have flown planes. There are also things in this world we cannot do, I fully agree.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 02:38:02 AM by Yellow hat »

Offline Shamaya

• Pir
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2009, 08:45:20 PM »
If I'm to do any travelling,  I'll need to wait till my kids are older and can take care of themselves. 

At which point, I plan to travel as much as I am able.   ;D

Tibet is definitely on my list!  :-*

This too is my first obstacle.....................

The body is an instrument played by the Divine; listen to its music.
Reflect not, but respond to it with spontaneous right action in the moment.
Be the uninhibited dancer and move to the rhythm of Spirit.
© Barbara Atkinson

erik

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2009, 03:33:43 PM »
Dangers of a too modern pilgrimage

Hindu pilgrims warned of high altitude dangers

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jul/06/hindu-pilgrims-himalayas-deaths-altitude

Spate of deaths in the Himalayas alarms medical experts

A spate of deaths at holy sites in the Himalayas has prompted warnings from medical experts that governments are not doing enough to warn pilgrims of the dangers of high altitude.

More than 20 pilgrims from India have died in the past two weeks during the Amarnath Yatra, in Kashmir, one of the holiest pilgrimages a Hindu can make. Devotees trek to above 4,400m to reach a cave featuring a naturally formed ice Shiva Lingam, or phallic symbol. Up to 10 pilgrims from across south Asia also died in the past month from altitude-related illnesses near sacred Mount Kailash, in Tibet.

"Because pilgrims typically ascend very rapidly by helicopter, aircraft or vehicles, they are unable to acclimatise to the altitude," said Buddha Basnyat, the medical commission president of the International Mountaineering and Climbing Federation.

More than 200,000 pilgrims are expected to visit the Amarnath caves this summer. Visitors are required to register beforehand and the official pilgrimage website offers advice on how to reach this remote corner of Kashmir. But advice on altitude sickness is almost non-existent. Pilgrims who feel nauseous are advised only to eat dried fruit or suck lemons.

Basnyat said foreign trekkers were well educated about the risks of altitude, but not pilgrims, for whom the risks were greater. "Unlike trekkers and climbers, there's an element of seeking a cure that attracts a sicker and older population," he said. Pilgrims with conditions such as diabetes and hypertension are more vulnerable to high altitude sickness.

Cultural attitudes can also exacerbate the problem. "Sometimes the … pilgrims feel privileged to die in the precincts of the holy mountain and do not want interventions," Basnyat said.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk