Author Topic: Sleeping in the Forest  (Read 177 times)

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
  • Let us dance of freedom~
Sleeping in the Forest
« on: October 20, 2006, 10:24:31 PM »
Sleeping in the Forest

I thought the earth remembered me, she
took me back so tenderly, arranging
her dark skirts, her pockets
full of lichens and seeds. I slept
as never before, a stone
on the riverbed, nothing
between me and the white fire of the stars
but my thoughts, and they floated
light as moths among the branches
of the perfect trees. All night
I heard the small kingdoms breathing
around me, the insects, and the birds
who do their work in the darkness. All night
I rose and fell, as if in water, grappling
with a luminous doom. By morning
I had vanished at least a dozen times
into something better.

~ Mary Oliver ~

Without constant complete silence meditation - samadi - we lose ourselves in the game.  MM

nichi

Re: Sleeping in the Forest
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 12:11:41 AM »
Ah! You've released the hounds now, Jen!
Mary is my favorite contemporary poet -- I can never get enough of her!

Offline daphne

• Rishi
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 01:10:30 AM »
I slept out in the forest once. Was by a cave overhang up a hill in the middle of nowhere. I would have enjoyed the twitterings of the small kingdoms, except I was listening out for their larger relatives.. heh..  :D
"The compulsion to possess and hold on to things is not unique. Everyone who wants to follow the warrior's path has to rid himself of this fixation in order not to focus our dreaming body on the weak face of the second attention." - The Eagle's Gift

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 02:08:03 AM »
xero and i slept on top of a mountain once, roped ourselves in a bit, was steep around us. i slept well and woke to a view of valleys full of cloud. we've done a lot of crazy things.

Offline daphne

• Rishi
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006, 02:12:52 AM »
xero and i slept on top of a mountain once, roped ourselves in a bit, was steep around us. i slept well and woke to a view of valleys full of cloud. we've done a lot of crazy things.

Sounds lovely!
Where I slept there was a small beautiful waterfall - sound through the night helped to drown out any sounds I imagined I heard from those relatives.. they like to sleep in trees...  heh

In the morning, I woke before dawn and saw the most beautiful sunrise - the sun was rising in a valley between 2 mountains - very picture postcardish. Was exactly centred, would never have caught it like that another time. Was Easter.
"The compulsion to possess and hold on to things is not unique. Everyone who wants to follow the warrior's path has to rid himself of this fixation in order not to focus our dreaming body on the weak face of the second attention." - The Eagle's Gift

Offline tommy2

• Pir
  • An opportunity to achieve a great end.
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2006, 02:42:12 AM »
The flick above is remarkably familiar to where I had my 10-yr. retreat in the Jefferson Nat.Forest.  Goddess bless Virginia!  I have not words for the respose I became accustomed to those years.

It was a great time of growth and renewal for me, as those of you know who live somewhere similiar.

t
t2f

Offline Nick

• Rishi
  • Life Branches.
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2006, 04:26:10 PM »

awsome!
"As long as we confuse the myriad forms of the divine lila with reality, without perceiving the unity of Brahman underlying all these forms, we are under the spell of maya..."
 -Fritjof Capra, The Tao of Physics: An Exploration of the Parallels between Modern Physics and Eastern Mysticism

Offline Shamaya

• Pir
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006, 09:37:20 PM »

;D ;D ;D
Isn't it nice to have someone to venture off with!!!

One time Jen and I headed out to the lean-to ( which is a 3-sided structure with a roof and a floor that sit on the side of a small mountain over looking a beautiful valley )  I was looking for my power animal, I found it first in the clouds.  Then later on I heard it in the woods, as it scratched it's back against a tree.  Ofcourse my nerves started to get the better of me thinking there was a bear that close.  The strange thing was by laying down on the rock I felt "safe"
The body is an instrument played by the Divine; listen to its music.
Reflect not, but respond to it with spontaneous right action in the moment.
Be the uninhibited dancer and move to the rhythm of Spirit.
© Barbara Atkinson

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2006, 09:50:13 PM »
you remind me of a snake pooja that some well know old american indian did, and wrote about - he was dropped off in the desert, where he stood in the night, and the snake came to him and slithered up him, to his head, then down again. but as this was a ceremony, he had a different relationship to the snake than if he were just walking on other business.

when on sacred business, everything changes.

Offline Shamaya

• Pir
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2006, 09:59:55 PM »
*when on sacred business, everything changes*

Where I am right now, I would still be scared out of my skin..........lol  But I do understand what you are trying to say.

ManyBlessings
Fade
© Barbara Atkinson

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
  • Let us dance of freedom~
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2006, 07:23:19 AM »
It wont come until your able to take it, Im not saying you wont get scared but youll know deep down to keep your shit together.

This reminded me of the lean to also :) and a few long walks in the dark woods weve taken.

Im truley blessed to have you to share this adventure with!

Much Love, Jennifer
Without constant complete silence meditation - samadi - we lose ourselves in the game.  MM

Offline Shamaya

• Pir
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2006, 11:01:54 AM »
 :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* ;D ;D ;D :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
© Barbara Atkinson

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk