Author Topic: Seagulls  (Read 74 times)

niamhspark

Seagulls
« on: October 21, 2006, 01:35:31 AM »
Since everyone's posting the birdies today, when I moved here, I got to hang out with seagulls for the first time. In AZ it was sparrows, hummers, and sometimes a hawk or eagle if lucky. I did get to have an owl fly over my car once at night. Came very close, but I didn't hit it.

Anyway, so I moved here and there is all these seagulls. Seattle gets much more, but we have the Columbia river, so I get to see them.

They are very ferocious when they go for food. I can throw breadcrumbs up and they'll catch it in midair. They have no fear and they are fast! Hanging out with all the geese and ducks when they're here, they drive them crazy :)

« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 01:40:17 AM by niamhspark »

niamhspark

Re: Seagulls
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 01:36:43 AM »

niamhspark

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 01:37:36 AM »

nichi

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 01:57:08 AM »
A while back, I would periodically rent a room on the Oceanfront at Va Beach, on the 8th floor or above -- for the view, for the ocean in my room!
Gulls were common inhabitants of the beach, and we had a routine:
I would go out onto the balcony, and make a big, sweeping move with my arms. And wait. They would see me from down on the shoreline, and little by little start the trek up to my balcony. From there, I would throw them the bread or the crackers in midair as they would hover-- getting to look them dead in the eye!

The juveniles have black eyes, but the oldtimers -- the seasoned, wise ones -- have these beautiful light green eyes!  They were very serious indeed. There was one in particular who seemed so familiar... Miss them.

Offline daphne

• Rishi
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006, 02:26:55 AM »
and their friends   :D
"The compulsion to possess and hold on to things is not unique. Everyone who wants to follow the warrior's path has to rid himself of this fixation in order not to focus our dreaming body on the weak face of the second attention." - The Eagle's Gift

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk