Author Topic: John  (Read 141 times)

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
John
« on: September 20, 2009, 02:15:33 AM »
John came to me many years ago to record some of this songs. John is a friend of Xero, and when he was looking for somewhere to record his songs, Xero suggested he come to me. I rarely record other musicians, as I don't have the time, nor the inclination, but as Xero said he was an interesting person, I decided to lend a hand.

He came for about three days, and recorded thirteen songs in the time I would record one track of one song. I sat him in front of the mic, and I don't think he even listened through the earphones - he just sang his songs one after the other in one afternoon as I recall.

I mixed them down very fast - shooting from the hip, and most of the effects worked perfectly. He had a rough sounding guitar, so I had to apply effects to soften the sound, and try to make each song sound different.

The result became a classic, and favourite of Julie and me, as well as Xero and a few others. His songs were fabulous. I gather he had been working out in the wild outback as a guide in National Parks, and had stored up these songs for some time. Later he went on to record a few more albums, but for some reason, none of them had the power and passion that he poured into this first set of songs.

Alas I sent him the master tape of the recordings, and I have never been able to get it back, so finally I have brought across to digital from the second copy I had kept for my own listening. A lot of clarity is forfeited from not having the master, but the result is still excellent, and as you guys will probably never get the CD, I've put up some of the pieces here in MP3 format.

John was (is?) bi-polar, and one of these songs is about that condition from his own perspective.

I hope you guys get as much enjoyment from these as the rest of us who know this tape have.

John 3
John 4
John 5
John 6
John 9
John 11
John 13

Online Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
  • Love You ALL To The Moon and Back...
    • SIR
Re: John
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 02:25:11 AM »
Oh thats cool Michael. Im now going to be interested in finding the song where he talks about his condition. Id like that. Very few understand it unless they're actually it. I wonder if he takes medication like I do for my condition.
"A warrior doesn't seek anything for his solace, nor can he possibly leave anything to chance. A warrior actually affects the outcome of events by the force of his awareness and his unbending intent." - don Juan

Ke-ke wan

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 04:12:32 AM »
Thank you Michael. :)

Ke-ke wan

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 04:15:33 AM »
WOW!  :o

Sadly,  sounds quite poor on my PC,  but the Spirit of John and his song certainly comes through.  Moving,  emotional and beautiful. :'(

EDIT:

As it turns out,  the kids had my speakers set funny,  lol.    Recordings sound beautiful Michael.
Absolutely amazing.   I bet, having recorded this set with you added to the the beauty of
these songs.

I'm in love Michael.  :-*
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 04:24:16 AM by dreaming »

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 07:58:56 AM »
They're all gems, Michael! Beautiful and doleful.
Not here, not there, but everywhere - always right before your eyes.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 08:32:21 AM »
I should warn you, it can be hard to get these songs out of your mind - something about the intensity with which John sings.

Ke-ke wan

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 09:09:32 AM »
I should warn you, it can be hard to get these songs out of your mind - something about the intensity with which John sings.

I made a playlist and listened over and over again,  even played along  abit with my drum.
Was very good for me,  stirring something up from deep within.  Then I had a nap and had the strangest dreams. 

Something about biogenetic-engineering...  :-\
And these strange cross-bred creatures that were half snake-lizard  and half some sort of insect which were said to cure a certain disease.

Ke-ke wan

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 09:15:25 AM »
He reminds me a lot of Shawn Mullins  --  somehow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkk53Bo8l04

Jahn

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 04:37:43 AM »
John came to me many years ago to record some of this songs. John is a friend of Xero, and when he was looking for somewhere to record his songs, Xero suggested he come to me. I rarely record other musicians, as I don't have the time, nor the inclination, but as Xero said he was an interesting person, I decided to lend a hand.

He came for about three days, and recorded thirteen songs in the time I would record one track of one song. I sat him in front of the mic, and I don't think he even listened through the earphones - he just sang his songs one after the other in one afternoon as I recall.

I mixed them down very fast - shooting from the hip, and most of the effects worked perfectly. He had a rough sounding guitar, so I had to apply effects to soften the sound, and try to make each song sound different.

The result became a classic, and favourite of Julie and me, as well as Xero and a few others. His songs were fabulous. I gather he had been working out in the wild outback as a guide in National Parks, and had stored up these songs for some time. Later he went on to record a few more albums, but for some reason, none of them had the power and passion that he poured into this first set of songs.

Alas I sent him the master tape of the recordings, and I have never been able to get it back, so finally I have brought across to digital from the second copy I had kept for my own listening. A lot of clarity is forfeited from not having the master, but the result is still excellent, and as you guys will probably never get the CD, I've put up some of the pieces here in MP3 format.

John was (is?) bi-polar, and one of these songs is about that condition from his own perspective.

I hope you guys get as much enjoyment from these as the rest of us who know this tape have.

I have only listened to the first one and I must say, it is really great.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 03:42:13 PM by Jamir »

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 07:53:06 AM »
What seems so attractive about these songs, aside from the great words, is John's voice.

I think he has left music behind for many years now - Xero tells me he is working as an environmental advisor for Gold Mining Companies - probably making a stash in the main stream.

He is married with kids, and Xero tells me his wife doesn't even know he used to play music.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 07:54:41 AM by Michael »

Ke-ke wan

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 11:14:13 AM »

He is married with kids, and Xero tells me his wife doesn't even know he used to play music.

I wonder what would happen if John's wife heard these songs.... :-[

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 02:10:16 PM »
I'll send Xero a copy of the CD, and he might pass it on to John when he sees him next. But after doing all this, I discovered another better version I had stashed away, plus I have done a lot of testing over the weekend, and now have decided that recording in 24 bit does actually sound better (I didn't believe so for a long time), so I will make another CD version of John's - hopefully better quality.

It is curious that someone with such talent would just move on from music.

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 02:14:21 PM »
I could understand the moving away from it. Some folks are samplers ... they inhabit one area of experience fully, with great gusto, and then move on to another.
Not here, not there, but everywhere - always right before your eyes.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Jahn

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 03:48:33 PM »

Would it not be possibly to add a soft drum and a cool bass to a few of his tracks and then put them on Internet for downloads? Free or for a buck. I really like that n:o 3 and hope to listening to the others soon.

Offline xero

• Sadhu
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2009, 04:47:17 PM »
Yes...what Michael says is accurate - though 'that' John now calls himself Rory.

His beautiful wife (Mel) is an insightful, powerful and gentle woman who guided the person called John through some dark times until he emerged as - Rory.

Mel does now know about the muse that was John, but, sadly, as Michael says, Rory is little drawn to revisit that exquisite era of his growth.

Perhaps one day. Until then, the Muse moves among us all, rummaging about for any unfastened voice or frame.

Attend!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk