Author Topic: Patrick Swayze and Dirty Dancing  (Read 192 times)

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
  • Love You ALL To The Moon and Back...
    • SIR
Patrick Swayze and Dirty Dancing
« on: September 21, 2009, 05:37:03 AM »
Since he recently left us, I felt it might be a good idea to post this youtube of the final scene in Dirty Dancing, which is a classic.

Its how I like to remember him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpmILPAcRQo
"A warrior doesn't seek anything for his solace, nor can he possibly leave anything to chance. A warrior actually affects the outcome of events by the force of his awareness and his unbending intent." - don Juan

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
    • SIR
Re: Patrick Swayze and Dirty Dancing
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 05:39:13 AM »
Though he was nominated for three golden Globes over the course of his 30-year career, Patrick Swayze measured his success by lives touched, not money made or awards won. “No matter what opinion Hollywood has of you,” Swayze once told Entertainment Weekly, “the fans never forget you if you never forget them.”

On September 14, at the age of 57, Swayze died after an extraordinarily brave and dignified 20-month battle with pancreatic cancer.  Swayze had initially responded well to treatment, and spent four months working 12-hour days on the A&E undercover drama The Beast while undergoing chemotherapy. He refused to take medication that might hinder what would become his final onscreen performance – even though the pain became intense. After he passed away, tributes have poured in from friends and colleagues. “Patrick was a rare and beautiful combination of raw masculinity and amazing grace,” recalled his Dirty Dancing costar Jennifer Grey.

The first hints of Swayze’s stardom emerged in his 1987 breakout film, Dirty Dancing. After that film’s success, Swayze was offered everything from a cologne deal to a record contract.  But he was determined not to be pigeonholed as a gyrating boy toy. He sought cover in action films that let him run in what he called “crazy Swayze adrenaline-junkie mode.” The movies that he chose appealed to the side of him that was a self-proclaimed “searcher.” To Swayze, Road House showcased the beauty of martial arts via a bouncer with a philosophy degree from New York University.

Ghost brought him greater fame and accolades, but these were also years of personal turmoil. Swayze did a stint in rehab for alcohol abuse in 1993, and his sister Vicky committed suicide the following year. By the mid-’90s, he was ready to work again and was focused on playing interesting characters instead of the usual action heroes and dreamboats. The actor made what he later jokingly called “a conscious decision to have a great time screwing up my career.” His next movies were surprising and revealed new colors to his acting. He played the proud and elegant drag queen in To Wong Foo, and a closeted pedophile in the cult hit Donnie Darko. Supporting Darko at the Sundance Film Festival in 2001, he explained, “In my career, when you get offered an absolute fortune for crap, your insides start screaming for some kind of fulfillment. When I started meeting with some of these young filmmakers, the passion was restored in my life…This is the fifth reinvention of Patrick Swayze.”

Swayze’s hard-fought battle may be over, but his story hasn’t ended. On September 29, Atria will publish Swayze’s inspirational memoir, The Time of My Life, co-written with his wife. “Dance is a metaphor for life,” Swayze told EW in 2005. “You’re born. You peak. Your physical body goes downhill, but your spirit stays intact.”

"A warrior doesn't seek anything for his solace, nor can he possibly leave anything to chance. A warrior actually affects the outcome of events by the force of his awareness and his unbending intent." - don Juan

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
    • SIR
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 05:42:06 AM »
Bye Patrick. We shall miss you. This was one of my favorite movies of all time. You always made me cry in this scene, every time.

<span data-s9e-mediaembed="youtube" style="display:inline-block;width:100%;max-width:640px"><span style="display:block;overflow:hidden;position:relative;padding-bottom:56.25%"><iframe allowfullscreen="" loading="lazy" scrolling="no" style="background:url(https://i.ytimg.com/vi/QF1jdam-INI/hqdefault.jpg) 50% 50% / cover;border:0;height:100%;left:0;position:absolute;width:100%" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QF1jdam-INI"></iframe></span></span><br /><a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/QF1jdam-INI&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/QF1jdam-INI&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1</a>

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
    • SIR
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 05:53:46 AM »
“Dance is a metaphor for life,...You’re born. You peak. Your physical body goes downhill, but your spirit stays intact.”

I like this. Very wise.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 08:08:12 AM by ~Dragonfly »

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
    • SIR
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 05:57:36 AM »

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 07:45:37 PM »
The only one I have seen was City of Joy, and that as I recall was a good film.

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
    • SIR
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 03:27:34 AM »
The only one I have seen was City of Joy, and that as I recall was a good film.

You need to see Dirty Dancing. Cmon Michael. Even the Indians love the movie :)

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 07:50:08 AM »
I saw that clip above, but it looks too American for my tastes. I lost the taste for trad American films many years ago.

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
    • SIR
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 08:11:20 AM »
I saw that clip above, but it looks too American for my tastes. I lost the taste for trad American films many years ago.

Oh thats silly Michael. "Too American." I recommend one of the best dance movies 'of all time' mind you, and you're closed-mind to it.

Perhaps you should expand your horizons more. Americans have produced some of the best dancers, and dances on the globe. Our music videos even attest to that fact.

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 08:41:15 AM »
Yes I have no problem with that - Julie saw that movie and liked it.

It's as I have said before, I have been brought up on a diet of American movies, and as soon as I see even a short segment of them now, I immediately feel: oh no, not again. I am not against watching one or two for special purposes - there are some very good American films, and I'm not against it if the quality is there.

But it is a styling thing - hard to explain. Just the whole way American films are presented - a whole series of styling, atmosphere and environment within which the story is told. Everything is so well dressed, so neat, homes are all so middle class, filming angles are so predictable, and women are so pretty and stupid. The best films for women are Spanish and French - so refreshing!

But I have developed a nausea for 'Western' cultural art forms. I want to be taken by surprise, I want to be told things in mysterious ways that I don't expect, and I desperately seek cultural idioms that are different from my own. My patience and tolerance for Western culture has long ago become exhausted.

Recently we went to the big city - Brisbane - and went into one of those large modern shopping mall buildings, with levels and levels of small clothing, shoe, coffee shops etc with screens showing video clips of bands and super-slick advertising. I found it excruciating - really had major problems with the atmosphere. I had to use supreme control not to run out the door from horror.

I do use controlled folly, but seriously I am revolted by the direction the world is heading. If I can change even a small part of it I will. So films which reify this direction cause me much inner turmoil, even if there is good content.

By the mid-’90s, he was ready to work again and was focused on playing interesting characters instead of the usual action heroes and dreamboats. The actor made what he later jokingly called “a conscious decision to have a great time screwing up my career.”

I think this guy was aware of the same problem, and tried to do something in his own way also. But if he didn't come across as a pin-up boy, they wouldn't pay him.

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 08:52:43 AM »

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
    • SIR
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 09:38:35 AM »
this is what I mean:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jd9XJeb-PY

Interesting. My thots on that were like it was a samurai ghost of sorts, perhaps one which samurai would encounter in their own version of the afterlife. Hm.

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
    • SIR
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 10:18:58 AM »

I do use controlled folly, but seriously I am revolted by the direction the world is heading. If I can change even a small part of it I will. So films which reify this direction cause me much inner turmoil, even if there is good content.

I think this guy was aware of the same problem, and tried to do something in his own way also. But if he didn't come across as a pin-up boy, they wouldn't pay him.

I think he did too, which is why he did his best to avoid roles which made him a boy toy and so forth.

I agree with you on some accounts. Like I get tired of certain music that sounds all the 'same' which is put out all the time. Its ok for the young people - if they're into that sort of thing - but Id rather have the car stereo turned to off mode than on.

I like Lenny Kravitz tho cause he does his own 'style' and isnt confined to one style. He's always changing and his music changes with him. Hes my favorite, and I like the fact he's rather wild.

I also enjoy other styles of music like more hispanic styles like tejano which is more upbeat, even if I cant understand it I dont mind. If its danceable its cool. Even some club music can have a 'pulse' at times and I dont mind that.

But certain trendy things I dont like. Like I dont like to walk into a club or even a restaurant and see many folks 'texting' on their phones. Its odd to me,how people do that. Or wearing IPods and the like. I dont want to go back to vinyl or anything but Id rather have a regular cd on, than an IPod. Something about the trendy really bothers me. Even if I do the internet, lol, and email.

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 01:53:47 PM »
Well, here's a comedy Swayze did that wasn't a box office hit, and doesn't fit the "mold". It has a certain cult following, and I have to confess I liked it.
(To Wong Foo: Thanks For Everything Julie Newmar)

<span data-s9e-mediaembed="youtube" style="display:inline-block;width:100%;max-width:640px"><span style="display:block;overflow:hidden;position:relative;padding-bottom:56.25%"><iframe allowfullscreen="" loading="lazy" scrolling="no" style="background:url(https://i.ytimg.com/vi/K2x_sp3Ehvk/hqdefault.jpg) 50% 50% / cover;border:0;height:100%;left:0;position:absolute;width:100%" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/K2x_sp3Ehvk"></iframe></span></span><br /><a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/K2x_sp3Ehvk&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/K2x_sp3Ehvk&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;</a>

(I liked it, but not for the same reasons the playwright intended... to me it was actually quite depressing, but the performances by the 3 stars were really good.)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 02:07:04 PM by Nichi »
Not here, not there, but everywhere - always right before your eyes.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk