Author Topic: Around the Globe in Real Time  (Read 2956 times)

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
Around the Globe in Real Time
« on: September 29, 2009, 02:16:57 PM »
Eek -- 3 tropical systems around the Phillipines, when their flooding has already reached deadly proportions (240-count so far).

« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 05:28:31 PM by Nichi »
Not here, not there, but everywhere - always right before your eyes.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
  • Love You ALL To The Moon and Back...
    • SIR
Re: Around the Globe in Real Time
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 03:35:20 AM »
Yeah Ive been reading about that one in the news, its a nasty one our friends in the Philipines are going thru. I feel badly for them and the loss of life.
"A warrior doesn't seek anything for his solace, nor can he possibly leave anything to chance. A warrior actually affects the outcome of events by the force of his awareness and his unbending intent." - don Juan

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 10:29:12 AM »
Tsunami rescue begins in Pacific

BBC -A major relief operation has begun in the Samoan islands, which were hit by a tsunami that killed at least 113 people and wiped out villages and resorts.

Rescue officials said planes carrying medics, food, water and other supplies were heading to the stricken Pacific islands of Samoa and American Samoa.

They said tens of thousands of people need help in villages swamped by waves triggered by a huge earthquake.

The United Nations said it was sending an emergency team to Samoa.

According to the latest reports, at least 83 people were killed in Samoa, more than 25 in American Samoa and at least six in Tonga.

Samoan officials say it could take a week before the full extent of the damage is known.

Major disaster

US President Barack Obama declared a major disaster in American Samoa and pledged a "swift and aggressive" government response.

The European Union released an initial amount of 150,000 euros (£137,000; $220,000) in aid for the victims, and Australia and New Zealand also pledged assistance.

The Red Cross has set up camps for those who have lost their homes, the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs said.

The Samoa islands comprise two separate entities - the nation of Samoa and American Samoa, a US territory. The total population is about 250,000.

'River of mud'

The 8.3-magnitude quake struck at 1748 GMT on Tuesday, generating 15ft (4.5m) waves in some areas of the islands.

Samoa's Deputy Prime Minister Misa Telefoni said there were fears the major tourism areas on the west side of Upolu island - the eastern of the two main Samoan islands - had been badly hit.

"We've seen pick-up trucks carrying the dead... back to town," Fotu Becerra told radio Newstalk ZB, the AFP news agency reported.

Joey Cummings, a radio broadcaster in Pago Pago told the BBC that he watched from a balcony as a five-metre (15ft) wave struck, and "the air was filled with screams".

He said a "river of mud" carried trees, cars, buses and boats past his building, which is practically at sea level.

The Prime Minister of Samoa, Tuila'epe Sailele Malielegaoi, said he was shocked at the devastation.

"So much has gone. So many people are gone," he told Australia's AAP news agency.

American Samoa Governor Togiola Tulafono said the effects of the tsunami would touch everyone.

"I don't think anybody is going to be spared in this disaster," he said.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre (PTWC) said the quake struck at a depth of 33km (20 miles), some 190km (120 miles) from Apia.

Small tsunamis reached areas as far away as New Zealand, Hawaii and Japan.

An Indian Ocean tsunami on 26 December 2004 - which killed about 230,000 people in 11 countries - is the worst on record.

Separately on Wednesday a 7.9 magnitude earthquake struck a different fault line off the Indonesian island of Sumatra, killing at least 75 people.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 07:53:47 AM by Nichi »
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 12:01:38 PM »
All coasts around the rim were on tsunami alert today (except for the Samoans, who got no warning save the sirens):
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 12:50:40 PM by Nichi »
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 07:32:31 AM »
Powerful Indonesia quake kills 75, traps thousands

JAKARTA, Indonesia – A powerful earthquake struck western Indonesia on Wednesday, triggering landslides and trapping thousands under collapsed buildings — including two hospitals, an official said. At least 75 bodies were found, but the toll was expected to be far higher.

The temblor started fires, severed roads and cut off power and communications to Padang, a coastal city of 900,000 on Sumatra island. Thousands fled in panic, fearing a tsunami.

Buildings swayed hundreds of miles (kilometers) away in neighboring Malaysia and Singapore.

In the sprawling low-lying city of Padang, the shaking was so intense that people crouched or sat on the street to avoid falling. Children screamed as an exodus of thousands tried to get away from the coast in cars and motorbikes, honking horns.

The magnitude 7.6 quake hit at 5:15 p.m. (1015GMT, 6:15 a.m. EDT), just off the coast of Padang, the U.S. Geological Survey reported. It occurred a day after a killer tsunami hit islands in the South Pacific and was along the same fault line that spawned the 2004 Asian tsunami that killed 230,000 people in 11 nations.

A tsunami warning was issued Wednesday for countries along the Indian Ocean, but was lifted after about an hour; there were no reports of giant waves.

The temblor flattened buildings and felled trees in Padang, damaged mosques and hotels and crushed cars. A foot could be seen sticking out from one pile of rubble. In the gathering darkness shortly after the quake, residents fought some fires with buckets of water and used their bare hands to search for survivors, pulling at the wreckage and tossing it away piece by piece.

"People ran to high ground. Houses and buildings were badly damaged," said Kasmiati, who lives on the coast near the quake's epicenter.

"I was outside, so I am safe, but my children at home were injured," she said before her cell phone went dead. Like many Indonesians, she uses one name.

The loss of telephone service deepened the worries of those outside the stricken area.

"I want to know what happened to my sister and her husband," said Fitra Jaya, who owns a house in downtown Padang and was in Jakarta when the quake hit. "I tried to call my family there, but I could not reach anyone at all."

Initial reports received by the government said 75 people were killed, but the real number is "definitely higher," Vice President Jusuf Kalla told reporters in the capital, Jakarta. "It's hard to tell because there is heavy rain and a blackout," he said.

Health Minister Siti Fadilah Supari told MetroTV that two hospitals and a mall collapsed in Padang.

"This is a high-scale disaster, more powerful than the earthquake in Yogyakarta in 2006 when more than 3,000 people died," Supari said, referring to a major city on the main Indonesian island of Java.

Hospitals struggled to treat the injured as their relatives hovered nearby.

Indonesia's government announced $10 million in emergency response aid and medical teams and military planes were being dispatched to set up field hospitals and distribute tents, medicine and food rations. Members of the Cabinet were preparing for the possibility of thousands of deaths.

Rustam Pakaya, head of the Health Ministry's crisis center, said "thousands of people are trapped under the collapsed houses."

"Many buildings are badly damaged, including hotels and mosques," said Wandono, an official at the Meteorology and Geophysics Agency in Jakarta, citing reports from residents.

Kalla said the worst-affected area was Pariaman, a coastal town about 40 miles (60 kilometers) northwest of Padang. He gave no details on destruction or deaths there.

Local television reported more than two dozen landslides. Some blocked roads, causing miles-long traffic jams of cars and trucks.

On Tuesday, a powerful earthquake off the South Pacific islands of Samoa, American Samoa and Tonga — thousands of miles from Indonesia — spawned tsunami that killed more than 100 people. Experts said the seismic events were not related.

Both Indonesia's Aceh province, which was devastated in the 2004 tsunami with 130,000 dead, and Padang lie along the same fault. It runs the along the west coast of Sumatra and is the meeting point of the Eurasian and Pacific tectonic plates, which have been pushing against each other for millions of years, causing huge stress to build up.

Scientists have long suggested Padang would suffer a similar fate to Aceh in the coming decades. Some predictions said 60,000 people would be killed — mostly by giant waves generated by an undersea quake.

The dire predictions spread alarm across Padang, which was struck by an earthquake in 2007 that killed dozens of people.

Indonesia, a vast archipelago with more than 17,000 islands and a population of 235 million, straddles continental plates and is prone to seismic activity along what is known as the Pacific Ring of Fire.

Even though it's on a different faultline, it's hard to imagine that this is unrelated to yesterday's.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 08:19:47 AM »
Back to Back Quakes Are Rare, Experts Say

Only a few hours apart, a pair of massive undersea earthquakes strike in the Pacific and Indian oceans. Are the two temblors somehow connected?

Early on Tuesday morning local time, a magnitude 8.0 earthquake triggered a massive tsunami that destroyed villages and killed at least 99 in Samoa and other South Pacific islands. Less than 24 hours later, a second underwater temblor, with a magnitude of 7.6, hit western Indonesia, killing dozens and trapping thousands under flattened buildings.

Shock waves from one powerful earthquake have been known to trigger smaller quakes miles away. But that doesn't appear to be the case here. That's because the earthquakes occurred very far apart, on opposite sides of what is known as the Australian tectonic plate. Also, if the first temblor had triggered the second, the second would likely have occurred sooner.

"It's highly unlikely there's any connection," said Stuart Sipkin, a geophysicist at the United States Geological Survey. "They occurred as far apart on the Australian plate as you can get."

The one tenuous link between the two events was they are both located in the so-called "Ring of Fire," a 40,000-kilometer horse-shoe-shaped area, where about 80% of the world's largest earthquakes and 90% of the world's earthquakes occur.

The underground forces that triggered the quakes are complex and hard to predict. Tectonic plates, or shards of the earth's crust, ride on the planet's mantle. When magma from deep within the earth rises up, it makes the plates move.

"We know where the dangerous faults are," says Greg Beroza, seismologist at Stanford University. "What we don't know is the timing" when seismic events will lead to quakes.

Most of the major earthquakes in the region – including the quake that caused the devastating tsunami of 2004 – occur in the subduction zone, a region where one section of a tectonic plate dives under another one. The largest earthquakes occur at the interface of the two slip-sliding plates.

What makes this week's earthquakes unusual was that neither had their origin at the interface of the plates. The Samoan earthquake, which occurred in the Pacific Ocean, was the result of the Pacific plate sliding under the Australian plate. What made this quake rare was that its origin lay in the area where the Pacific plate bends.

The Indonesian quake occurred in the Indian ocean, where the Australian plate dives under the Sunda plate, upon which southeast Asia sits. The origin of this quake was not at the interface either, but deep within the Australian plate.

"As it is forced down, the plate has internal deformation and all kinds of stresses," said Dr. Sipkin. He noted that because the earthquake in Indonesia happened at a considerable depth, it didn't significantly deform the ocean floor and so didn't start a tsunami.

It was a different scenario in 2004, when the giant earthquake-triggered Asian tsunami started in the Indian Ocean and reached as far as the east coast of Africa, killing more than 200,000. In that case, a diving plate pushed the ocean floor up and then down again. The huge vertical rupture acted like a wave machine, displacing a massive amount of water and unleashing a tsunami.

Seismologists worry that the area around Indonesia, in particular, could be due for another big earthquake. It's certainly a highly-active zone for seismic disturbances. Big recent earthquakes in the region have included the 9.3-magnitude temblor of 2004, an 8.6-magnitude quake in 2005 and an 8.6-magnitude one in 2007.

"If you look at the earthquake history of Sumatran region you'll see there have been great earthquakes to the north and south of the one today," said Dr. Sipkin. "Is a big one due? The answer is yes."

See also Two South Pacific earthquakes unlikely to be connected, say seismologists
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 07:21:48 PM »
Melor has become a Super Typhoon, encompassing a very large area at 132mph.

Parma is also in the Super range.

(Atlantic equivalent= Category 5)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 08:01:03 PM by Nichi »
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
    • SIR
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 12:05:08 PM »
Strange I checked CNN and Yahoo news and they had nothing on this, at least yet. I sure hope this thing doesnt bash them over there, but it sure looks HUGE!
"A warrior doesn't seek anything for his solace, nor can he possibly leave anything to chance. A warrior actually affects the outcome of events by the force of his awareness and his unbending intent." - don Juan

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
    • SIR
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 12:07:33 PM »
Come to think of it the globe and weather and quakes lately, its been bad all the way around. America/Samoa, Indonesia. Pretty scary stuff.

Ke-ke wan

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 12:12:52 PM »
I'm a little bit curious as to what effect the Palm Trilogy has had and is having on the seismology of the Ocean Floor.

The building of these huge man made islands is definitely affecting the oceans,  drilling into the Ocean floor and moving literally tons of Seabed around.

I'm not real sure the proximity of Dubai in relation to the current tsunamis and quakes,  but it's all one World,  one Globe,  so I bet it's connected somehow.

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 12:13:44 PM »
Come to think of it the globe and weather and quakes lately, its been bad all the way around. America/Samoa, Indonesia. Pretty scary stuff.

And the Phillipines too. "They say" it's all unrelated to each other, but that doesn't ring true to me.

Strange I checked CNN and Yahoo news and they had nothing on this, at least yet. I sure hope this thing doesnt bash them over there, but it sure looks HUGE!

One thing I've learned since I've been interested in the tropical storms -- finding information on anything other than the Atlantic and Eastern Pacific is difficult if you're using US-based media-sources. You have to dig!

Just like with everything else, we're very Amero-centric.
You see it in this picture: dancing around and northward from the equator all around the globe are these tropical waves: 

Navy Monterey Satellite

In short, it's a global thang.
Alas, efforts were overtly made after Katrina to narrow the field of focus even further in terms of the dissemination of information, but if one digs, one can find it anyway.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 12:37:10 PM by Nichi »
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 12:17:17 PM »
I'm a little bit curious as to what effect the Palm Trilogy has had and is having on the seismology of the Ocean Floor.

The building of these huge man made islands is definitely affecting the oceans,  drilling into the Ocean floor and moving literally tons of Seabed around.

I'm not real sure the proximity of Dubai in relation to the current tsunamis and quakes,  but it's all one World,  one Globe,  so I bet it's connected somehow.

Fascinating!
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
    • SIR
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 12:20:03 PM »
True, its really difficult for me to see them as unrelated also, esp since they all happened so close together. From an egroup im on as well, they showed a bunch of littler quakes happening in cali. Granted, they happen all the time, but it did seem like they were having more quake activity than normal. She appears to be shaking things up quite a bit. Im hoping she calms down.

Ke-ke wan

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 12:27:17 PM »
Officials at Dubai Waterfront, the company managing the project, say vibro-compacting of the island's reclaimed materials is now underway and is expected to last 18 months. The method puts the placed material under enormous pressure and prepares the soil to levels which allow building work to start.

Eight metres of water has 11-12 tonnes of weight, which compresses the ocean floor

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 12:42:16 PM »
True, its really difficult for me to see them as unrelated also, esp since they all happened so close together. From an egroup im on as well, they showed a bunch of littler quakes happening in cali. Granted, they happen all the time, but it did seem like they were having more quake activity than normal. She appears to be shaking things up quite a bit. Im hoping she calms down.

Part of the problem there is that seismologists are in disagreement as to the dynamics of it all. How do faultlines affect each other? There are differing schools of thought.

But I think it should have been enough of an eye-opener per the 2004 Sumatra quake/tsunami, that the earth wobbled the tiniest bit ... and that there were reports of sensations felt all over the world.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk